Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 19:31   #1
BHPian

Get rid of the used Accent CRDi?

Please tolerate with me on the explanation on where I am now -

Purchased a 2003 Accent CRDi on Sept 08 at a meter reading of 72K Kms for Rs 3.25L where I am the 3rd owner. Car looked in good conditions and everything was working fine except for rust on the door joints. Which, I fixed in the next service with Rs 19,000. To my heart break, learnt from the Hyundai service center that car had already clocked 80K Kms in June 2006 and is being reversed back to 50K Kms; my ignorance (I could have found this before buying). my first hit, then. As a General Maintenance Service, Hyundai Service center suggested me for Shock absorber work for Rs 20,000. I was not able to take up that work.

And now.. on one Friday (21 Aug 09) car stopped on middle of the road and called the road side help line, and learned that “High pressure Diesel pump” has failed and it would cost Rs 35,000. Hyundai Service center said they can NOT service and only option is to replace. Current mileage is 79K Kms (have done only 7K Kms after purchasing)
As no options left, fitted the new diesel pump and got the car with Rs 41,000 charge wtih GMS.

My profile:
Earning: Rs 40K Age: 32
# Of Family members: 4
Have owned: Maruti Zen, & Dodge Intrepid and Nissan Altima during my stay in US
Travel: 13K Kms per year (8500 city & 4500 High way)
Budget: Rs 5L (including the money that I will get by selling this car)
Not firm on Sedan, hatchback with good boot space is OK.
Prefer Diesel car (Assuming running cost is less), but experts can suggest what will be the best for my profile.
Please let me know if you need any other information for a better input.

Please help me decide.Thanks a lot in advance.

Have typed the above message and have been eagerly awaiting for approval to seek help
Old 8th September 2009, 19:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

Very sorry to know about your series of problems. I suppose you're planning to get rid of this car and go for a new one. Few points here:

How much do you think would be the selling price?

Is the sale money is good enough amount to pump in with bank loan?

Is your engine condition is ok otherwise? Previous generation Hyundai diesel engines are prone to be troublesome after 50-60km range. I know at least five cases like this.

About buying new car I suggest don't ask for advices here. There are plenty of threads on new cars for petrol and diesel. Please make some time to read those. Your opinion/decision about your particular choice will get firmed up soon.

Happy shopping.
Old 8th September 2009, 20:26   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Very sorry to know about your series of problems. I suppose you're planning to get rid of this car and go for a new one. Few points here:

How much do you think would be the selling price?

Is the sale money is good enough amount to pump in with bank loan?

Is your engine condition is ok otherwise? Previous generation Hyundai diesel engines are prone to be troublesome after 50-60km range. I know at least five cases like this.

About buying new car I suggest don't ask for advices here. There are plenty of threads on new cars for petrol and diesel. Please make some time to read those. Your opinion/decision about your particular choice will get firmed up soon.

Happy shopping.
Car is running great, no issues with the engine too. No dents and looks good. I am not feeling good with it afraiding it might put me in more toubles. Also i have checked with Hyundai service center and they said i do not need to anticipate any troubles in near future.. and they recomended timing belt replacement in my next service.
Old 8th September 2009, 20:27   #4
BHPian

Hey Selva, I really feel sorry about the problems you had with your car. Now that you have already spent 41k in repairs, I would rather suggest you not to sell this car. You won't get much for this one and considering the time and money spent on this car, its worth to keep this one.

Get your accent thoroughly inspected and enjoy the drive.

Still if you have decided not to keep the accent, no problem, you have lots of options.

Starting from i20, swift and punto. Personally I will not suggest any other car. Go for any of these, diesel or petrol, depends on you.
Old 8th September 2009, 20:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

You can think about the Swift DDIS.
Pros: Good engine + Cheap Spares + Excellent Network
Cos: Boot Space + Cramped back Seats + Long waiting periods

if you dont mind the Looks, try the Dezire DDIS too.

I20 CRDI starts from 7 lacs, apart from that its a very good car.

Punto MJD is a brilliant design, TATA *** 'may' be your critical factor here.
Old 8th September 2009, 21:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ok you've spent 60k approximately on maintenance after you purchased the car. Suspension is in need of attention (20k) but postponed by you. Car has done around 1 lac kilometres till now taking into account the meter reversal pointed out by service center. There is a thread about CV shafts of Accent CRDi needing replacement on high mileage vehicles, this cost around 20k each if bought from the showroom.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...000-axles.html

Next service you would change the cam belt and after that something else. Also this is a 2 owner car, you being the third owner. IMO you sell the car with least loss when it's running fine or exchange with a new car if any dealer will provide you with a good deal. Don't wait for more problems to crop up and spend more money rectifying it.

Diesel hatch around 5 to 6 lacs you've got Swift VDI, Ritz VDI, Vista Quadrajet, Palio MJD, Punto MJD etc etc
Old 8th September 2009, 22:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

1) From what I understand you have budget of Rs. 5 lakh. And the kms you plan to cover is above 1K kms per month. Diesel makes sense, and I suggest you look at Tata Indica Vista diesel. A car that will cost lower than others and comes with the Fiat SDE ( Small Diesel Engine ), same as Swift, Ritz, Dzire, Punto, Linea. The car has good cabin space too. Problem is of poor boot space, and some niggles might crop up.

2) Ritz/Swift diesel. A bit above Rs. 5 lalk, but these cars are again powered by Fiat SDE and are reliable. Maruti A.S & S. is a major positive point.

3) Petrol cars. Spark, Santro are available with CNG option, i.e. factory fitted CNG. Although you lose on boot space and CNG will give limited range, you will save a bit in city driving.
You can choose from Alto ( after market fitment of CNG ), spark and Santro.

My personal opinion is you stretch budget a bit and go for Ritz. Its a new model, good for city driving too.
Old 8th September 2009, 22:27   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to know the problems you went through. Buying a seconds car is most of the times a problem unless you know the owner personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Diesel hatch around 5 to 6 lacs you've got Swift VDI, Ritz VDI, Vista Quadrajet, Palio MJD, Punto MJD etc etc
you should buy anyone of the above listed. Suggest you test drive all these cars and pick the one that you like the most.

IMO, you can probably shortlist from Swift D, Vista Quadrajet and Punto MJD.

Goodluck in your search
Old 8th September 2009, 22:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) And the kms you plan to cover is above 1K kms per month. Diesel makes sense, and I suggest you look at Tata Indica Vista diesel.
How does Diesel makes sense for him? His running is 13000 kms per year which approximately divides to 1100 kms per month. So its impossible to recover the premium paid on Diesel in less years. He might need to wait 5-6 years to recover. I think a petrol will do good for him.
Old 8th September 2009, 23:02   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

@ classicselva: As an Accent Viva CRDi owner with over 103k km done from new, I would first like to express my sympathies to you for having unwittingly bought a clocked car which was also a dud.

However, now that you have spent a substantial amount in the last one year and got the car in good working condition (as certified by Hyundai), why don't you use the car for at least a year or two more before you sell it? IMO the suspension work should not be as expensive if done outside, and my own experience says the cost is less than a third as compared to Hyundai service centre costs. Check out my ownership thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-till-now.html and this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1283664-post1.html. Spares for the Accent CRDi are easily available in the open market (at least it is so in Delhi, the same should apply in Chennai too), and I am sure members on this forum will be more than happy to point you to a reliable and competent mechanic in your city who can take care of your car well without burning a hole in your pocket.

If you do decide, however, to sell the car, then I would fully agree with subbusos's view below: buy petrol this time around, even a good used car from a reputed seller. Less expensive than diesels if critical parts do fail, and suits your usage pattern much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbusos View Post
How does Diesel makes sense for him? His running is 13000 kms per year which approximately divides to 1100 kms per month. So its impossible to recover the premium paid on Diesel in less years. He might need to wait 5-6 years to recover. I think a petrol will do good for him.
Old 11th September 2009, 09:41   #11
BHPian

Thanks all for your valuable feed back. Than selecting a new car, i am still confused on to hold or sell the car. Any take on that?
Old 11th September 2009, 10:59   #12
evo
BHPian

@classic:

I suggest that you keep the car for atleast a year more. You have spent 20% of your purchase price on service already and had the car for just a year. A timing belt change will cost an additional 10,000 at max or even lesser.

On the other hand, suppose you sell the car and get Rs.215000 and use that as downpayment on a petrol hatchback, you`ll have the interest to think about and the increased running costs.

I suggest that you sell the car next year, just before Hyundai ceases production of the current accent executive.
Old 11th September 2009, 20:04   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
A timing belt change will cost an additional 10,000 at max...

On the other hand, suppose you sell the car..., you`ll have the interest to think about and the increased running costs.

I suggest that you sell the car next year, just before Hyundai ceases production of the current accent executive.
I agree. Keep the car for at least one more year, I'm sure you'll get hooked to the pleasure of driving it.

In any case, a timing belt change at the authorised service centre won't cost more than 2K, and about 1.2K outside. A front suspension overhaul with a good independent mechanic will cost about 8k including changing the struts, and a drive shaft repair job should cost no more than 3-3.5k.
Old 11th September 2009, 21:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

So your real mileage is around 109K (assuming 30K underclocking).

That is still to early for diesel pump damage! Trax gives a 3L warranty on the engine. !!!!!

Keep an eye on what fuel you are using.

Last edited by Mpower : 11th September 2009 at 21:33.
Old 11th September 2009, 21:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicselva View Post
Thanks all for your valuable feed back. Than selecting a new car, i am still confused on to hold or sell the car. Any take on that?
As a few others have already mentioned, I too would be of the opinion to keep the car at least for another year before selling since you have already invested a fair amount in it !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks