Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2009, 14:26   #16
BHPian

I am hunting for one - if available- the dealer is refusing any Scorpio 4*4 AT . Will appreciate if your could find some answer from some reliable source who can be contacted for the correct info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
With your budget you can afford Safari GX 4x4, it comes with ABS, the feature you need.
Other option is MHawk 4x4, I am told its available on order.

As for sedans, only vehicle I can think of is SX4. It has the highest GC among all.

both of the above do not have AT. Mhawk is available in 4x4 AT I think, need to confirm with mahindra dealer, because I read somewhere Mhawk 4x4 was first introduced only for AT and in MT it came later. Behram will know the answer.
Old 24th September 2009, 14:28   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
hey - i would add ABS to that
and dont you think, given our climate here a "moon-roof" would be more appropriate?
But Shankar the Vlx variant comes with ABS. I agree, has anyone done a sunroof/ moonroof on their scorp? would really like tosee a review of the same.

Quote:
my 2.6 Scorpio normally gives me about 10-11 in the typical start stop city traffic in Bangalore with AC.
It has delivered a max 12-13 on the highway (with some hill driving thrown in).

the new 2.2 Mhawk is supposed to be a little more Fuel efficient than the older engine.

hey My Mhawk gives me only 8.5-9.0 in city traffic. My daily route to work and back is through really congested roads. Would that be the cause or do I need to have the car inspected?
Old 24th September 2009, 14:30   #18
BHPian

Shankar, Have a doubt. I always thought AT is less fuel efficient than MT (my logic is the ATs do not really utilize the correct gear. I could be completely wrong). Please let me know.

Thiyags
Old 24th September 2009, 14:36   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiyags22 View Post
Shankar, Have a doubt. I always thought AT is less fuel efficient than MT (my logic is the ATs do not really utilize the correct gear. I could be completely wrong). Please let me know.

Thiyags
I thought the same. However, I read an AT ownership review and figured that an A/T is actually more fuel efficient due to optimum gear change ratios and the absence of clutch riding.
Old 24th September 2009, 14:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

SX4 Test Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Other option is MHawk 4x4, I am told its available on order.

As for sedans, only vehicle I can think of is SX4. It has the highest GC among all.
Quote:
good suggestion the SX4 - anyway there is a Diesel version expected soon
however, it would be quite cramped for 5 medium-large-ish people.

A Maruti Showroom is very near to my house. On a lazy Sunday I decided to bump up and checkout SX4.

Walked into the showroom & asked for the details regarding SX4. A salesman was allotted to me, he explained all the details regarding SX4.

ME: ”Why there is a difference between ground clearances of SX4 VXI and ZXI models.”
Salesman: “Sir… ZXI being a premium model is produced with all together different machineries. Special parts are used to create the chassis and body line, that’s why the ground clearance is higher than that of cheaper VXI model.”
ME: “***.. do you know what are you speaking ?? You mean to say Maruti has different production facilities for VXI and ZXI model ??”
Salesman : “Yes Sir.. “

I was now out of my mind; I gave him a peace of mind and gave him some gyan regarding tyre sizes and rim sizes. He was literally speechless for a minute or two.

To break the silence he said “Sir.. shall we go for a test drive ??” I said… “Yaa sure, that what I am here for “

+ves
-High Seating – Certainly a plus point after driving low floor Optra
-Fully loaded model – Available at competitive price
-Silent Engine – Felt like I was driving Optra
-Good sound insulation – Didn’t heard a single sound from outside, apart from regular honking guns
-Comfortable seats – Seats were pretty wide and comfortable for a heavy structure built like me.
-Cng Convertible – By luck, test drive vehicle was CNG converted one. It was loaded with sequentional kit which out righted petrol when compared in performance.
-Maruti service backup – Well established and cheap maruti service backup.

-ves
- Lower Segment – SX4 is a segment lower than that of Optra.
- Not a 5 men car – I am sure but it may not accommodate medium-large-ish people which might be deal breaker for me. I was along with my brother who is 6ft 1inch and was comfortable seated behind me, which he is not in the case of Optra. According to his feedback 3 people can be accommodated but not for a longer period which otherwise is not any sort of problem in optra.
-Poor Resale – One can easily get a 2008 ZXI for 5.5 or something; more than 2 lakh losses in a short span of 10-11 months is isn’t a good sign according to me.

Overall I found SX4 a nice car to drive in city, though I am not sure about its offloading capability but with a high ground clearance of 190mm and a powerful engine I hope it won’t be a problem either.

Last edited by ashthedivx : 24th September 2009 at 14:37.
Old 24th September 2009, 14:38   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

yes the VLX has ABS

I havent seen a sunroof/ moonroof on a Scorp yet.
I know Webasto does an aftermarket job and I know they are first class - but somehow I wouldnt be very pleased with anyone trying any kind of surgery on my Scorp for sure.

ref mileage - I drive through thick traffic infested, stop-start routes daily to work and back rarely managing to hit 40kmph at the maximum.
I get a consistent 9-10kmpl in my Scorp.

Again I dont generally accelerate hard (cannot do that in this traffic) and

I always knock off the engine when Im stuck at traffic lights. I dont use brakes excessively, always preferring to gear down in anticipation of the next stop. Drive gear for me is predominantly 2nd and 3rd given the traffic here. At any temporary halt owing to a small jam or something I usually shift to neutral and take my foot off the clutch - I hate sitting with my vehicle in gear with the clutch depressed.

I think mileage depends on driving style and the overall conditions faced.
On highways I usually cruise at about 100-110 in 5th gear so I do get the 12kmpl that I expect.

As far as Im told the Mhawk engine is supposed to improve mileage at least by 1 or 2 kmpl so please check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
But Shankar the Vlx variant comes with ABS. I agree, has anyone done a sunroof/ moonroof on their scorp? would really like tosee a review of the same.

hey My Mhawk gives me only 8.5-9.0 in city traffic. My daily route to work and back is through really congested roads. Would that be the cause or do I need to have the car inspected?
Old 24th September 2009, 14:47   #22
BHPian

Quote:
yes the VLX has ABS

I havent seen a sunroof/ moonroof on a Scorp yet.
I know Webasto does an aftermarket job and I know they are first class - but somehow I wouldnt be very pleased with anyone trying any kind of surgery on my Scorp for sure.

ref mileage - I drive through thick traffic infested, stop-start routes daily to work and back rarely managing to hit 40kmph at the maximum.
I get a consistent 9-10kmpl in my Scorp.

Again I dont generally accelerate hard (cannot do that in this traffic) and

I always knock off the engine when Im stuck at traffic lights. I dont use brakes excessively, always preferring to gear down in anticipation of the next stop. Drive gear for me is predominantly 2nd and 3rd given the traffic here. At any temporary halt owing to a small jam or something I usually shift to neutral and take my foot off the clutch - I hate sitting with my vehicle in gear with the clutch depressed.

I think mileage depends on driving style and the overall conditions faced.
On highways I usually cruise at about 100-110 in 5th gear so I do get the 12kmpl that I expect.

As far as Im told the Mhawk engine is supposed to improve mileage at least by 1 or 2 kmpl so please check it out.
I know I'm going off topic here but hopefully these issues may help the OP to make a better buying decision. I think that my driving habits are to blame. I'm always rushing to catch the green light and normally depress the clutch at traffic stops.

I would really like to get a sunroof installed but have been advised against it. It's said that they start leaking during the rains .
Old 24th September 2009, 14:52   #23
BANNED

frankly to my mind there is no point rushing about - the gain is going to be about 3 or 4 minutes or something like that max. The pain on the other hand can become immeasurable.

Sunroofs / Moonroofs installed by Webasto should not have the leakage problem - my friend had an Optra Royale with the moonroof and it worked pretty good.

But the sun roof/ moon roof is a concept more useful in countries where they rarely get to enjoy the sun - here in India there is pretty much of a surfeit of sunshine so such an addition can become a bit of overkill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I think that my driving habits are to blame. I'm always rushing to catch the green light and normally depress the clutch at traffic stops.

I would really like to get a sunroof installed but have been advised against it. It's said that they start leaking during the rains .
Old 24th September 2009, 14:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

I would advice against an aftermarket Sunroof / moon roof even if some one is doing it for free with best brand. AC efficiency in our hot climate and manufacturer warranty is more important then vanity feature.

In Optra Royal as Shankar mentioned I think it was factory fitted

About mileage in 2.2 Safari for me it is 9.5 - 10 for most congested areas in City and on highway best I got was 13.5 driving between 100 - 120.
Recently I pressed the pedal to drive at 130 -140 and it came down to 11 on highway.

All the figures are with 100% AC.

If you really want to extract the miglage watch out the gear shift and do not let the RPM shoot above 2500 and try to keep it at 2K or below.

Last edited by amitk26 : 24th September 2009 at 14:56.
Old 24th September 2009, 14:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

There are several folks recommending Scorpio AT. At least 4-5 months back when I had checked, Scorpio AT was not available with extended warranty. Something to watch out for while buying Mahindras and Tatas. Unless something changed recently, this is a show-stopper as far as Scorpio AT is concerned.
Old 24th September 2009, 15:03   #26
BANNED

Amit has made a good point about "factory fitted" moonroof on the Royale. This is correct and the fit and finish was very good.
However, in our hot climate and general conditions I dont see the need for this feature at all.

ref mileage - also an excellent suggestion from Amit- try to drive at all times with constant revs - better not to suddenly jam on the gas and rev the engine up to racing levels. 90-110 kmph is the optimum speed range for best mileage returns in the Scorp/ Safari and suchlike.
The moment you go to 120-130 plus, you will see a sharp drop in FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I would advice against an aftermarket Sunroof / moon roof even if some one is doing it for free with best brand. AC efficiency in our hot climate and manufacturer warranty is more important then vanity feature.

In Optra Royal as Shankar mentioned I think it was factory fitted

About mileage in 2.2 Safari for me it is 9.5 - 10 for most congested areas in City and on highway best I got was 13.5 driving between 100 - 120.
Recently I pressed the pedal to drive at 130 -140 and it came down to 11 on highway.

All the figures are with 100% AC.

If you really want to extract the miglage watch out the gear shift and do not let the RPM shoot above 2500 and try to keep it at 2K or below.
Old 24th September 2009, 15:23   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post

However, as per my understating mahindra is far more customer oriented then that of Tatas. reason is the attitude of service people, i remember when i used to get my Indica serviced at service station people were there like "Chalta hai... hota rahta hai... Tata hai naa.. " Even the service center GM had this attitude. However, I had a guy from mahindra after my life for a feedback form just upon a visit to their showroom inquiring about new scorpio. Upon filling up the form, got 2 calls from mahindra discussing the feedback I had mentioned. I was like
We own a Scorpio VLX mhawk 2.2(owned a 2.6 before) and the Service support is pathetic, Its as bad as tata(ive owned a Indica earlier).

I can show you a copy of Job card with 20+ minor problems they could not solve, I am talking about Sterling@ gurgaon and Sridurga@ rama road Delhi.
Old 24th September 2009, 16:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
There are several folks recommending Scorpio AT. At least 4-5 months back when I had checked, Scorpio AT was not available with extended warranty. Something to watch out for while buying Mahindras and Tatas. Unless something changed recently, this is a show-stopper as far as Scorpio AT is concerned.
Well Guys on Scorpio AT, here is some useful info.

1. It is available on made to order so expect around 30-45 days waiting period.
2. No 4x4 on AT
3. No airbags on Scorpio, hence these are not available on AT too.
4. Extended warranty is well available, I have a price list from dealer (2-3 dealers in NCR) where extended 2 yrs or 50 K warranty is given as optional for AT model.

I too am in the boat for Scorpio AT for same reasons (hilly area driving) , however want a 4x4 for that, Endy has it however OTR for that will be around 19 L in Delhi.
Old 24th September 2009, 16:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

ash, not to be a spelling nazi, but did you mean conquer? I dont think you are looking for an SUV which agrees with mountains and plains

Note from Mod : "Concur" changed to "Conquer" in the title.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th September 2009 at 17:03. Reason: Title change note.
Old 24th September 2009, 17:02   #30
BANNED

yes - one typically will see a drop of 1 - 2kmpl in the AT version vis a vis the MT version

I believe as you said the reason would be loss of efficiency by wrong gear usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiyags22 View Post

Thiyags

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks