Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2010, 16:11   #46
BHPian

If absolute comfort during long drives is your major concern then nothing to beat safari below 12 lakhs.It is almost like a comfortable sofa which moves.The driving position,stance makes you feels royal. Innova is more car like,handles better and can carry more people.But once you start driving a Safari nothing else will satisfy you.It is to be experienced in real.Minor niggles may be there like rattling of windows which can be corrected at A.S.S.Also the 2.2 VTT is pretty much refined and power delivery is good.Once you get the hang of the vehicle you will absolutely love it.Most people face minor issues in Safari because we tend to abuse the vehicle.I personally have driven my safari at 80 kmph on non paved roads with huge craters.I doubt if i could do the same with an innova without breaking its legs.Reliability post 1 lakh kilometers might be better in innova(Toyota build quality).But as a car Safari is more value for money and offers a unique ownership experience.At 10K kms all i have faced is a rattling of window glass which i have yet to fix.All i do is maintain the right tyre pressure,proper idling at start and stop,revving the engine to higher rpms once in a while.The engine smoothness and power delivery have only improved.The Safari has timeless looks I.M.H.O.Go ahead reclaim your life!!
Old 5th February 2010, 16:31   #47
BHPian

I think I can be of some help to you since I drive both : the Safari & the Innova.

Over a long drive, the Innova beats the Safari hands down !! Driver fatigue in the Innova is minimal. The lack of body roll greatly enhances the comfort during long drives. My longest drive in the Innova has been a 1400 km journey from Pune to Agra (non-stop with 2 drivers).

Go for the Innova. You won't be disappointed. And the 2+2+3 seating combo (captain seats) : sheer pleasure for all the occupants.

Safari is good : but the body roll is a big turn off.
Old 5th February 2010, 16:44   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheelburnin View Post
If absolute comfort during long drives is your major concern then nothing to beat safari below 12 lakhs.It is almost like a comfortable sofa which moves.The driving position,stance makes you feels royal. Innova is more car like,handles better and can carry more people.But once you start driving a Safari nothing else will satisfy you.It is to be experienced in real.Minor niggles may be there like rattling of windows which can be corrected at A.S.S.Also the 2.2 VTT is pretty much refined and power delivery is good.Once you get the hang of the vehicle you will absolutely love it.Most people face minor issues in Safari because we tend to abuse the vehicle.I personally have driven my safari at 80 kmph on non paved roads with huge craters.I doubt if i could do the same with an innova without breaking its legs.Reliability post 1 lakh kilometers might be better in innova(Toyota build quality).But as a car Safari is more value for money and offers a unique ownership experience.At 10K kms all i have faced is a rattling of window glass which i have yet to fix.All i do is maintain the right tyre pressure,proper idling at start and stop,revving the engine to higher rpms once in a while.The engine smoothness and power delivery have only improved.The Safari has timeless looks I.M.H.O.Go ahead reclaim your life!!

Safari has great looks , very comfortable seating and suspension. But the quality issues in Safari are real irritants. The clutch becomes very hard after 20k kms. There will be lot of rattles everywhere. Soon you will feel the "old" car feeling. It might be good for a enthusiast who drives occasionally on highways. Not a good car for daily use. I find Scorpio much better as it hold well after ageing and it is more refined than Safari. It drives smoother than safari. Safari's drive is too rugged. The fancy stuffs like parking sensors, DVD systems are of no use when u have a rattling car with quality issues.
Old 5th February 2010, 16:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If absolute comfort during long drives is your major concern then nothing to beat safari below 12 lakhs.It is almost like a comfortable sofa which moves
Well Longdrive nothing beats safari anyday..Ask me I did a approx 6k journey all the way from pune to gulmarg and back with my family without any issues at all. I drove all the way

Yes toyota has a reliability name with it, but then its a Machine
Old 5th February 2010, 16:57   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdrive View Post
It might be good for a enthusiast who drives occasionally on highways. Not a good car for daily use.
You'll forgive me but I was LOL reading this bit - 3 years & 78,000 kms of daily drives in my Safari & I still enjoy my commute of approx 120 kms every day.

And nothing can beat it for trips up to the hills or long highway cruises - Kasauli, Corbett & Leh are the places that our Beast has taken us to.

Last edited by suman : 5th February 2010 at 17:05.
Old 5th February 2010, 17:08   #51
BHPian

The safari wins hands down for the most comfortable rids under 12 lakh.. no doubt about it.Loads of space, good GC, driving position, its all there!
Old 5th February 2010, 17:12   #52
BHPian

I used to rent innova for trips and have driven my uncle's innova extensively.What i felt is that innova although car like to handle and offers decent amount of comfort on good roads it does not handle bad roads in the same manner.If you had mentioned that innova handled better i would have agreed.But on comfort front Safari is way ahead compared to both scorpio and Innova.I have driven Scorpio only for a few kilometers.Atleast mhawk is not as comfortable as the safari but the low end engine response was much better.But the upper power bend felt better in Safari.Also scorpio felt too cramped for an SUV.The smaller size has advantages in city traffic i must agree.Also the interior quality of scorpio has improved.But Safari too has clean looking interior design though poorer on plastic quality.There is a bit of body roll in Safari but much lesser compared to the 3L version.Rattles are common in many cars including the swift. Innova rattles very less compared to most others even after clocking 50,000 plus.But apart from that the looks,road presence and comfort are the U.S.P for Safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
I think I can be of some help to you since I drive both : the Safari & the Innova.

Over a long drive, the Innova beats the Safari hands down !! Driver fatigue in the Innova is minimal. The lack of body roll greatly enhances the comfort during long drives. My longest drive in the Innova has been a 1400 km journey from Pune to Agra (non-stop with 2 drivers).

Go for the Innova. You won't be disappointed. And the 2+2+3 seating combo (captain seats) : sheer pleasure for all the occupants.

Safari is good : but the body roll is a big turn off.
Old 5th February 2010, 23:03   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheelburnin View Post
I used to rent innova for trips and have driven my uncle's innova extensively.What i felt is that innova although car like to handle and offers decent amount of comfort on good roads it does not handle bad roads in the same manner.If you had mentioned that innova handled better i would have agreed.But on comfort front Safari is way ahead compared to both scorpio and Innova.I have driven Scorpio only for a few kilometers.Atleast mhawk is not as comfortable as the safari but the low end engine response was much better.But the upper power bend felt better in Safari.Also scorpio felt too cramped for an SUV.The smaller size has advantages in city traffic i must agree.Also the interior quality of scorpio has improved.But Safari too has clean looking interior design though poorer on plastic quality.There is a bit of body roll in Safari but much lesser compared to the 3L version.Rattles are common in many cars including the swift. Innova rattles very less compared to most others even after clocking 50,000 plus.But apart from that the looks,road presence and comfort are the U.S.P for Safari.
I never talked about the Scorpio. So no comments on that front.

Innova handles better than the Safari is a given. I don't think I even need to mention that. Along with driver comfort you also need to consider passengers comfort.

Mohan's family comprises of his parents, wife and kid. I still say, Innova with its captain seats offers much better comfort levels than the Safari.

It's not about which vehicle is better : Safari or Innova. But it is about which vehicle suits Mohan better. And the answer is pretty evident from the number of posts in favour of the Innova.
Old 8th February 2010, 08:25   #54
BHPian

@ amogh: do you feel that even on state highways (not so great roads), the drives on innova are better than safari?

going by my experience of being in an innova (sales job), going into bad roads is big trouble with the innova, the speed completely comes down. on the other hand, ive never taken a safari to bad roads... your experience?
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:33   #55
BHPian

At any point in time, I would suggest the refreshed beast, Scorp!

The last long drive I made was from Pune-Cochin, via Mysore and return( I dont have to talk about the infamous diversions NH4), overall covering 3000 Kms, and I was really proud of my beast. I will post the pics of some of the roads I covered between Mysore and Kerala, as early as I can and you will realize what I'm talking about

I've not driven a Safari for that long, so I do not know if that is better.
Old 22nd February 2010, 22:59   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
My 2 cents :
However If you plan to have a driver & not go on too bad roads Innova is much better
I do not agree to this based on my personal experience. In 25K odd kms done by my innova in the last 2.5yrs it has seen absolutely treacherous paths .. running across wastelands in the countryside, water clogged fields, unfinished coarse gravel only roads, hills, bumps, craters and what not. Believe me, this is not a fragile machine and can take good amount of abuse without breaking a sweat. Best part not a single niggle until now.

I would heartily recommend an innova. But might be good if you can wait to checkout Aria. It indeed looks promising.
Old 29th March 2010, 16:56   #57

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Fiesta diesel is great bet tooo.....I have been on many long trips which include some roads ( to be precise from 20km odd stretch from Sedam - Gulbarga which a road existed 20 year back, has potholes which are almost 1-2 feet deep)....and I find the car take all this pain with ease....driven it from Hyd-Blr-Mysore-Ooty-Coimbtore and back...and a few more long trips like these...I did not have a single breakdown or any problem whatsoever....plus, it offer a great mileage of 15-18kmpl on highways

Last edited by GTO : 30th March 2010 at 13:12. Reason: Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks
Old 29th March 2010, 20:48   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
In 25K odd kms done by my innova in the last 2.5yrs it has seen absolutely treacherous paths .. running across wastelands in the countryside, water clogged fields, unfinished coarse gravel only roads, hills, bumps, craters and what not. Believe me, this is not a fragile machine and can take good amount of abuse without breaking a sweat.
Did you ever feel the need for a 4WD in the Innova on those terrain?

Did you ever feel that the GC is lower in the Innova, and you needed a vehicle with higher GC?

I ask these questions because I encountered both situations recently on my Getz. Car got stuck in loose beach sand and I had a tough time taking it out. Car also had barely made it on a untarred rocky road which was higher in the center. Note - GC comparision would be 176 (Innova) vs 180 (Scorpio) vs 205 (Safari).

The above two questions have been lingering in my mind from that time. I would love to have the similar level of A.S.S. offered by Hyundai; hence inclined towards Innova. But the lack of 4WD and lower GC are bothering me.

Last edited by sbraj : 29th March 2010 at 20:49.
Old 29th March 2010, 21:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

Can you wait for the tata aria?

If you cannot stretch the budget, robust diesel cars like the indigo manza aura plus quadrajet (unbeatable for comfort and mile munching) or linea emotion pack can be checked out.
Old 29th March 2010, 21:04   #60
BHPian

We never had any problems with the low GC in our Innova. Not once has it scraped its bottom on a speed-breaker. Our Innova had run about 60k+ kms before we sold it. The captain seats are very comfortable for long journeys.

It doesn't matter if the GC is low. Civic scrapes it's bottom because the wheelbase is too big. Laura has a lower GC than Civic but never scrapes due to the same reason

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks