Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2009, 18:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Off late, comparing vehicles at a price point and across segments have become common. Eg, with a 7L budget , what would I get ? Could be either a sedan or a hatch.

"Sedan at the cost of a hatch" - eg the Ikon TDCI - is frequently heard of.
Old 30th November 2009, 19:09   #17

The requirements of a car buyer should decide whether to go for a hatchback or a sedan. In terms of a family ownership perspective and (as rightly said by GTO) the only car in your house, a sedan is a much better choice. In that respect, there is no better choice in the market than Manza. Not just team bhp, but all the reviews that the car is getting are positive..

In hatchbacks, i think i20 is a great option. Offers style and performance.
Old 30th November 2009, 20:55   #18
BHPian

The Rs 5-7 lakh diesel segment has transformed in the last 12 months.
Before there was hardly any options available in that segment with good safety features like ABS and Airbags apart from Dzire. In the last 12 months there are a lot of additions

Ritz (no airbag), I20, Punto and now Manza. I think this is creating a lot of confusion among the buyers. I think A+ and B segment diesel cars have a lot of opportunities in Indian market.

Also safety is becoming an important factor in this segment, even though Maruthi believes otherwise. I still cant understand why Maruthi don’t want to give airbags for Ritz and Swift diesel.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th November 2009 at 20:59. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external font editors, use Preview before submiiting posts. Thanks
Old 1st December 2009, 14:34   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpzone View Post
The Rs 5-7 lakh diesel segment has transformed in the last 12 months.
And with good reason too. The 5 - 7 lakh rupee hatchback segment is the fastest growing in the Indian car market. Not only are entry-level hatchback owners upgrading, but a lot of first time car owners are jumping on the Swift / i10 / etc. bandwagon.

Further, the market is showing its inclination toward premium hatchbacks over entry level sedans that cost the same.
Old 1st December 2009, 20:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Further, the market is showing its inclination toward premium hatchbacks over entry level sedans that cost the same.
And this is a trend I personally did not expect to see in Indian buyers for another 5-7 years.

It is good to know that people are moving beyond the 'lambi gaadi' funda.

I am sure the Indigos, the over-aged Accents and Ikons have played a significant part in ruining the image of entry level sedans.
Old 1st December 2009, 20:36   #21
BHPian

preferring premium hatch over entry sedans is not a a very correct way to put it i think. What makes a car premium is the features it offers and the engine and chassis quality. Now coming back to manza vs punto except for the chassis of punto i do no see great difference between them so how is punto a premium hatch when manza is entry level sedan. I will agree if we compare a punto or 120 vs a ikon tdci or the accent where the features are very low but u get the lambi gaadi.
Old 1st December 2009, 21:34   #22
BHPian

More than the question of Hatch vs Sedan, a big question is which one will survive in the market as both are very similar in almost all the aspects except the length.

Punto is a European designed car which is already a success in many markets. It has compromised on interior quality in India though! Punto seems to be a darling of car enthusiasts and very popular on TBHP. Bus the sales is falling and they are increasing prices, a reciepie for disaster.

Manza is a new product and TATA is notorious for issues with new launches. If TATA get their act together in avoiding any niggles, MANZA will be the long term winner
Old 1st December 2009, 22:43   #23
BHPian

Hi
In my opinion Manza is anytime better than the Punto considering several factors such as cost, features, leg space, boot space, etc. Manza gives almost all the features of the Punto or even more except the alloys and climate control ac. But considering the advantages of the Manza such as a 90 bhp engine, back seat comfort and space, boot space etc., definetely Manza has an edge over the Punto. I have heard that the Manza back seat comfort is comparable with the S class. This is my opinion and its upto u to decide. Take a wise decision depending on your priorities so that you will not repent later.
Old 1st December 2009, 23:21   #24
BHPian

Spals, Have you not considered the Dzire? It would give you a lot less headaches with regard to A.S.S and resale.
Manza it should be otherwise. Me thinks it is better to wait 6-8 months before buying the Manza.
Old 2nd December 2009, 00:03   #25
BHPian

Are you passionate about driving and prefer driving pleasure over practicality? If this is the case Manza will disappoint you,Punto must be your choice.If you are are a more neutral driver and if practicality takes precedence over driving pleasure, then Manza it is.
Old 2nd December 2009, 21:48   #26
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_1982 View Post
Are you passionate about driving and prefer driving pleasure over practicality? If this is the case Manza will disappoint you, Punto must be your choice.
How is Punto fun to drive? I've seen many Lenias being driven passionately but all Puntos crusing at 80-90km/h.

My test drive of Punto was sad too! Imagine I decided to buy a Ritz 20mins after that!
Old 3rd December 2009, 08:53   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Spals, Have you not considered the Dzire? It would give you a lot less headaches with regard to A.S.S and resale.
Manza it should be otherwise. Me thinks it is better to wait 6-8 months before buying the Manza.
I have considered Dzire, in fact that was my first choice before punto and manza were launched. I have two major problems rear seat space is very less, i have more in my indica v2 and looks are very bad even for me who really doesnt care for looks much.
Old 3rd December 2009, 09:03   #28
BHPian

passonate about drving yes i am, but should say i like to do more of cruising at 90-100 rather than zipping past at higher speeds. I like to drive looooong distances dont mind drives of 8- 10 hrs (only me driving) and things like that. So i am looking at the relaxed comfort for these long drives both for me as well as my family (passengers). Coming back to the point i made earlier a good handling in car is

a) pleasure to drvie
b) an added passive safety feature

I am only thinking about the second part as i dont mind any car to drive as long as it is comfortable to drive
Old 3rd December 2009, 09:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
How is Punto fun to drive? I've seen many Lenias being driven passionately but all Puntos crusing at 80-90km/h.

My test drive of Punto was sad too! Imagine I decided to buy a Ritz 20mins after that!
There's this round thingy we move circularly. That stuff's pretty good in the Punto.

:P

I haven't driven any of the 15lac+ vehicles, but under that range for me Punto is 'da man'.

The suspension is rock solid. The build quality inspires confidence. Handling is awe-inspiring.
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spals View Post
passonate about drving yes i am, but should say i like to do more of cruising at 90-100 rather than zipping past at higher speeds. I like to drive looooong distances dont mind drives of 8- 10 hrs (only me driving) and things like that. So i am looking at the relaxed comfort for these long drives both for me as well as my family (passengers). Coming back to the point i made earlier a good handling in car is

a) pleasure to drvie
b) an added passive safety feature

I am only thinking about the second part as i dont mind any car to drive as long as it is comfortable to drive
I usually drive my Punto at cruising speeds of 80-100 on the highways. She is extremely stable at those speeds ( and even beyond, I've gone upto 130 ), so I can drive in a very relaxed way. Pleasure to drive yes - from the handling and the steering feedback you get from this car.

I've driven upto 8 hrs in a day ( with breaks in between ) and have not felt tired.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 3rd December 2009 at 12:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks