Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2009, 09:08   #1
BHPian

Punto 1.3 MJD or the Manza Quadrajet

This may seem a comparision of two entirely different segments but this is one big confusion I am facing. Promarily becoz they fall in the same price range. I have seen the reviews of GTO (one of the best i have ever read, I feel he is way beter than most of the magazines). I have test driven both back to back as suggested here and these are what i found (diesel only)

Pros in Grande Punto
1. Very good handling
2. Good ride comfort
3. Very predictable steering feel
4. Ergonomcs (especially for highways, though needs a bit of getting used to)
5. Good responsive engine (i am not bothered much about the Noise)

Pros in Manza
1. Space ++++
2. Pleasing interiors (the colors especially)
3. Good engine response - decently powerful (though doesnt feel like 90 horses)

Cons in Punto
1. Rear Seat space
2. Dull Interiors

Cons Manza
1. Handling (compared to Punto)
2. Ergonomics (again compared to punto especially on long rides)

I have kept the points minimal as many have already seen them (curtosy GTO). I am, and so i believe many, are in confusion over the choice to make. Hope we have a good discussion which will help me and possible many other to come to good conclusions
Old 28th November 2009, 10:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Kindly mention your usage in detail. If rear space is not a criteria and you want a premium hatch with solid build quality, awesome boot space, highway manners the Punto it is. If you want a bigger boot , spacious car then Manza it is!!

To me atleast looks like you almost sold on the Punto
Old 28th November 2009, 10:50   #3
BHPian

I use the car quite a lot on the highway but my speeds do not shoot over 100 kmph except for the occasional burts. I know the punto is better in handling but the question is can i let go the room available in manza for handling of punto for the speeds i mentioned..........
Old 28th November 2009, 11:18   #4
SLK
Senior - BHPian

In case you don't have parking constraints! Manza it is.

Punto felt cramped to me, engine response was not in the league of any CRDI Diesel.

Disclaimer: this is all personal opinion.
Old 28th November 2009, 12:01   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's actually rather simple, Spals:

1. Do you want a hatch or a sedan?

2. Is this going to be your ONLY car? If so, having a boot will definitely help on airport / outstation runs.

3. If you want the "feel good" factor, especially in terms of a solid build & exemplary handling & steering combo, the Punto it is. On the other hand, if you want practicality, space and a neutral sedan, the Manza fits the bill.

4. Small family? Just you and the missus? The Punto should serve you well. Big family? Parents? More than one kid? Frequent outstation travelling? Then, the Manza it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spals View Post
2. Ergonomics (again compared to punto especially on long rides)
I have to add that the Manza doesn't have any major issues on the ergonomical front. Neither car is the best, and score about the same though (Punto has a very cramped footwell for instance).

I'm seeing more cross-shopping between the Punto and the Manza, rather than the Linea. This trend was observed on some other threads too.
Old 28th November 2009, 13:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm seeing more cross-shopping between the Punto and the Manza, rather than the Linea. This trend was observed on some other threads too.
Does this mean Manza will not eat into Linea's share or it'll eat into the Punto's share as well?

:P

OP:

GTO's post sums up what you can use to decide. The Punto offers a great driving experience, the Manza brings practicality to the table.

All the best!
Old 28th November 2009, 13:24   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's actually rather simple, Spals:

1. Do you want a hatch or a sedan?

2. Is this going to be your ONLY car? If so, having a boot will definitely help on airport / outstation runs.

3. If you want the "feel good" factor, especially in terms of a solid build & exemplary handling & steering combo, the Punto it is. On the other hand, if you want practicality, space and a neutral sedan, the Manza fits the bill.

4. Small family? Just you and the missus? The Punto should serve you well. Big family? Parents? More than one kid? Frequent outstation travelling? Then, the Manza it is.

I have to add that the Manza doesn't have any major issues on the ergonomical front. Neither car is the best, and score about the same though (Punto has a very cramped footwell for instance).

1. I am not sure

2. I think I decide on Manza for this (only car i own)

3. a) Solid Build quality i am confised a bit in this. Doesnt tata have a good build quality too
b) handling i sure understand punto is good but how important is handling considering it as a passive safety feature rather than a feel good factor

4. Right now a small family but i intend to keep this car for a good time and my parents may move to my house at a later stage

Anyways i think this is a good measure GTO has given to make the choice only the safety aspect from a good handling is the question i have
Old 28th November 2009, 14:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

well, i too have test driven both of them. punto has a richer feel than manza. but it has its share of concerns. most of them are mentioned above. but as you mentioned above that you want to keep it for sometime, its better to go for manza as it will definately fetch you good money as resale.
Old 28th November 2009, 15:10   #9
BHPian

Personally,

Heart ki suno toh Punto,
Aur Head ki suno toh Manza...

...But, Dil Hai ki Manta Nahin
Old 28th November 2009, 15:45   #10
BHPian

aur biwi ki suno toh...

Anyways nice way to sum it up.
But somehow i am not really outright impressed with the looks of punto. It is very good but i for one thought the front grill is small and a bigger one ala linea would have been better.
Old 28th November 2009, 16:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spals View Post
aur biwi ki suno toh...

Anyways nice way to sum it up.
But somehow i am not really outright impressed with the looks of punto. It is very good but i for one thought the front grill is small and a bigger one ala linea would have been better.
Hey Spals,

Now seems like leaning towards Manza. Any day for me, Punto looks good, but it finally depends on what you need, like what drives you, Heart or the Head as rightly put. Make your choice and be happy with it.
Old 28th November 2009, 16:36   #12
BHPian

depends on how "kind" your service station is towards Fiat cars !!

on a more serious note : if this is your ONLY car, you should go for the Manza.
Old 28th November 2009, 16:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

if you intend to buy it for family purpose, need back seat comfort, nothing else then manza.If its for your self purpose go for punto or other hachbacks available as well.Within this two, depends on your needs.
Old 28th November 2009, 17:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

As GTO rightly said, you have to decide whether you want a hatchback or sedan.
Comparing a sedan and a hatchback will be complicating. Ride quality, comfort and FE will be different in sedan and hatchback.
IMO, may be you should have compared between i20 vs puto and Manza vs Linea?
Old 28th November 2009, 18:12   #15
BHPian

I think this is a fair comparison.

I walked into a tata showrom with a 7 lakh budget and was planning to buy Punto. The salesman introduces MANZA. Both cars have so much similarity

Similar ***
Engine
Features
Resale vales
FE

I would have gone for MANZA but reliability is unknown!

This is a big confusion - head says Manza and heart says Punto

Most Viewed