Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2009, 12:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Confused - Whether to Keep my Old Love ( Maruti 800 ) or not??

Hi Friends

I've been thinking to write this for long now but was not getting the opportunity to do so.

I have a Maruti 800 which i use scarcely ( maybe 20 kms in a month ) and i'm not able to decide whether to keep it or not

Few things which are leading to this confusion -
  • 1998 ( new look ) and has done 1,20,000 kms on highways and city but the engine is in mint condition with a complete service record ( got it serviced only at MASS except for few small things which i got done from the local mechanic )
  • Non- accidental and not a single part painted ( only few scratches here and there )
  • Unable to find the registration papers however i have 2 known buyers who want to buy it without papers too
  • Getting a price of 30-35 K ( biggest confusion factor as i would lose out on a nice car for such meager price )
  • Have 3 more cars which makes this 800 the last choice to be used to commute
  • Am on a lookout for a second hand sedan and wifey says to sell this car as the amount can be used to pool in money for that car
  • Had a nice music system which got stolen thus leading to less usability of this car
  • I personally want to restore it with a average music system , new tyres , alloys , new number plates , seat covers and new mats ( i would need around 15 K for this which would definetely make atleast me use it )
Noone in my family understand this confusion ( especially my idea of investing 15K on this car ) and that is exactly the reason i'm reaching out to fellow BHPian from whom i can get some genuine suggestions.

I will post some pictures of the car shortly
Old 9th December 2009, 13:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well, few things in life need to be left apart. No wonder how much maths you do but you'll not be able to satisfy your near n dears why are you keeping it.

Leave it and Move on !!
Old 9th December 2009, 13:20   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
[*]Have 3 more cars which makes this 800 the last choice to be used to commute[*] Am on a lookout for a second hand sedan and wifey says to sell this car as the amount can be used to pool in money for that car[*]Had a nice music system which got stolen thus leading to less usability of this car[*]I personally want to restore it with a average music system , new tyres , alloys , new number plates , seat covers and new mats ( i would need around 15 K for this which would definetely make atleast me use it )[/list]Noone in my family understand this confusion ( especially my idea of investing 15K on this car ) and that is exactly the reason i'm reaching out to fellow BHPian from whom i can get some genuine suggestions.
The equation is very simple dude.
If your restoration costing 15k alleviates your used sedan purchase, restore it and keep it. If not, then dispose it. Also, since you have other cars, I would recommend keeping it and not going for a used sedan as it is much easier to drive and maintain in metros.

Just my 25 naya paisa of thought.
Old 9th December 2009, 13:35   #4
BHPian

I will suggest to keep & upgrade this car, after all "Old is Gold".

You have used this car for a decade, so have some emotions in it, which your wife may not have.

I dont see any point in selling this car and buying other old car. As far as sedan thing is concerned, I am sure other 3 cars must be of those types.

Assuming you live in Delhi, its the perfect car for crowded streets.

As far as papers are concerned, you can anytime have the dupicate ones from RTO. That should not be a problem.

Dont apply maths & rocket science, just go with your emotions dude
Old 9th December 2009, 13:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
Dont apply maths & rocket science, just go with your emotions dude
Couldn't agree more! Keep if for the memories. Clearly, you're not burdened by the costs of maintaining it. So why throw is away for so little money?
Old 9th December 2009, 13:49   #6
BHPian

Harish,

Selling it without papers in today's world, Man you are brave.! AS suggested get Duplicate papers before you let go of the car.

As long as the RTO holds the record in the original owner's name, he/she will be liable for any mishap/accident that heppens on the road.

That being the simplest, you can forget your Good night's sleep if it get's involved with the wrong set of people.
Old 9th December 2009, 15:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the responses guys , i had gone out to take some pictures of the car as promised by me earlier.

@ Devdath - Thanks for the response , i just drove the car for about good 20 - 25kms ( which i did not do in last 3-4 months combined ) and was in love with it again. You're right about driving in the metro part but the only disadvantage would be in summers as it's non-AC car.

@ WDM007 - My other cars are Alto , Spark and Esteem which is why i want to go for a nice sedan ( maybe a baleno , Accent or an OHC ) and yes like you rightly said about the Old is gold and that my wife may not understand the emotion ( even though shes a car lover )

@Shivshanker - You're right and that is the reason like i said originally that i would sell it off to a relative of mine and not anybody else ( i've started looking for the papers )

Also one thing that i forgot to mention earlier - it starts at the very first ignition even if i don't use the car for like good 20-25 days and that too in winters.

Here are few pictures of the car in as is where is condition. Soon after this posting i'm going to wash it myself and then maybe get the rims painted black and put a Team BHP sticker on it to convince myself a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Confused - Whether to Keep my Old Love ( Maruti 800 ) or not??-photo0628.jpg  

Confused - Whether to Keep my Old Love ( Maruti 800 ) or not??-photo0629.jpg  

Confused - Whether to Keep my Old Love ( Maruti 800 ) or not??-photo0630.jpg  

Confused - Whether to Keep my Old Love ( Maruti 800 ) or not??-photo0631.jpg  

Confused - Whether to Keep my Old Love ( Maruti 800 ) or not??-photo0632.jpg  

Confused - Whether to Keep my Old Love ( Maruti 800 ) or not??-photo0659.jpg  

Confused - Whether to Keep my Old Love ( Maruti 800 ) or not??-photo0660.jpg  

Confused - Whether to Keep my Old Love ( Maruti 800 ) or not??-photo0661.jpg  

Confused - Whether to Keep my Old Love ( Maruti 800 ) or not??-photo0662.jpg  

Confused - Whether to Keep my Old Love ( Maruti 800 ) or not??-photo0663.jpg  

Confused - Whether to Keep my Old Love ( Maruti 800 ) or not??-photo0664.jpg  

Confused - Whether to Keep my Old Love ( Maruti 800 ) or not??-photo0665.jpg  

Confused - Whether to Keep my Old Love ( Maruti 800 ) or not??-photo0666.jpg  

Confused - Whether to Keep my Old Love ( Maruti 800 ) or not??-photo0667.jpg  

Confused - Whether to Keep my Old Love ( Maruti 800 ) or not??-photo0668.jpg  

Confused - Whether to Keep my Old Love ( Maruti 800 ) or not??-photo0669.jpg  

Confused - Whether to Keep my Old Love ( Maruti 800 ) or not??-photo0670.jpg  

Confused - Whether to Keep my Old Love ( Maruti 800 ) or not??-photo0671.jpg  

Confused - Whether to Keep my Old Love ( Maruti 800 ) or not??-photo0672.jpg  

Old 9th December 2009, 15:34   #8
BHPian

Its very simple dude, if you got the parking space for this beauty better have it or else get rid of it.

sentiments and emotions come with a heavy pricing these days
Old 9th December 2009, 15:38   #9
BANNED

There are some things in life money cant buy.....

Quote:
Also one thing that i forgot to mention earlier - it starts at the very first ignition even if i don't use the car for like good 20-25 days and that too in winters.
What more do you want in life dude?
Quote:
@ Devdath - Thanks for the response , i just drove the car for about good 20 - 25kms ( which i did not do in last 3-4 months combined ) and was in love with it again. You're right about driving in the metro part but the only disadvantage would be in summers as it's non-AC car.
You are anyway ready to spend at least a couple of lacs on that "used sedan" if you buy it. Instead put an ac kit costing 10k, get this car repainted and accessorised, add some bling and TBHP stickers to it. In less than 40k, you have an ac car as good as new and with the feelings attached to it.

Buying a 4th "used sedan"=200,000.00
Getting "4350" back in shape=40,000.00

Driving once again with your old friend in great shape(4350), PRICELESS
Old 9th December 2009, 15:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
Its very simple dude, if you got the parking space for this beauty better have it or else get rid of it.

sentiments and emotions come with a heavy pricing these days
I do have ample parking space , in fact one of the reason of keeping this car is also to book some parking space for my future vehicles. People from Delhi , specially in New Rajinder Nagar would second me on this as every family now a days has 2 or more cars thus resulting in the race to book the parking spaces.
Old 9th December 2009, 15:52   #11
BHPian

Your car is a beauty. I am sure it will cost you less to maintain and will forever have a ready resale market, that too at a good price. If I were you, I'd keep this, sell Esteem and buy a brand new mid-sizer.
Old 9th December 2009, 16:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

actually! i would recommend you to keep the car. This will fetch below 50k. and thats not even a price of a decent bike.

That was the reason i kept my 1st vehicle (800) till date. Its in such a good shape and well kept now people are offering more after 2lac+ on oddo.
Old 9th December 2009, 16:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Even I was in a dilemma as to whether I should sell my old M-800 when I bought my second car. Just could not sell her off. She was my first car , and there were just too many memories attached to her. I finally sent her to my parents, as I did not have parking space for 2 cars.

My suggestion would be to keep her.
Old 9th December 2009, 16:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sell it and move on...I feel your family members are right in not spending 15K just for cosmetic modifications. Anyways, you need to sell this car today or tomorrow. Moreover, you are also using this car sparingly. By keepng it further will only add to the increased maintainence cost, seeing him rot and occupy your garage space. Come out of the sentiments/emotions and make up your mind. I was in the same dilemma, but I made up my mind and sold off the good old M-800.
Old 9th December 2009, 17:28   #15
BHPian

As many people, so many suggestions.

It is up to you to make the final decision.
As the vehicle is in all good condition and works well, then why sell it.
If your other cars are big ones , then this would fit best to use it where
others can not be heavy traffic , narrow lanes, less parking space etc,etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks