Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2010, 18:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Why not buy a used i10?
Old 10th January 2010, 18:26   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
If you really like the i20 a lot, why not go in for a loan for the remaining money and get yourself one? Again, if its going to be too expensive you could look at a used one.But remember, interest rates are more on a used car than a new one.
Well, I am trying to keep myself with preferably, no EMI at all. Maybe I am being stupid and/ or old-fashioned, but I don't like carrying debts of any kind. The i20 is an excellent car, but along with what my heart (and wife) says, got to use the head too.

What I am gaining from all your comments thus far is to sell the Accent and go in for an another car.

It appears that I can add Rs. 1 lakh more to the abovementioned amount - so total of Rs. 4.33 lakhs. And, I was looking at the Getz 1.3 GVS, which comes in at around Rs. 4.09 in Bangalore on the road - at least as per the Hyundai website.

What do you folks think? Getz 1.3 GVS looks good? One thing I found is that this Getz does not come with (1) ABS and (2) with any kind of onboard and standard entertainment system. I can perhaps live without the ABS (or maybe get in installed as an extra), but it sure would be nice if the Getz came with a music system.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Why not buy a used i10?
If I stretch the budget to 4.00 lakhs or so, I could get the lowest end i10 new. But the Getz looks better and better!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Dippy : 11th January 2010 at 09:25. Reason: See note in post.
Old 10th January 2010, 18:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalsoldier View Post
Well, I am trying to keep myself with preferably, no EMI at all. Maybe I am being stupid and/ or old-fashioned, but I don't like carrying debts of any kind.
Naah. You're just being wise. Nothing old-fashioned about it.

Quote:
If I stretch the budget to 4.00 lakhs or so, I could get the lowest end i10 new. But the Getz looks better and better!
I meant a year old Magna or something like that. Or for that matter, a couple year old Getz, since you like it. Makes immense sense.
Old 10th January 2010, 18:56   #19
BHPian

Now that you've upped your budget, how about the Getz crdi?
Old 10th January 2010, 19:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure but Hyundai had introduced Getz with the 1.1 engine. That should come within your budget. Please remember the amount of money you going to spend on maintenance in a used car will compensate the money saved. Hence I would strongly suggest buying something brand new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
Now that you've upped your budget, how about the Getz crdi?
Two things:
  1. Hyundai has stopped producing the Getz CRDi
  2. With a daily run of 10 Kms, I wouldn't suggest a diesel to him.
Old 10th January 2010, 19:32   #21

Here are the ex-showroom prices for the Getz in Bangalore from the Hyundai website (Welcome to Hyundai Motor :: Hyundai Getz Prime)

Ex-Showroom Prices for BANGALORE

Model Ex-Showroom Prices (Rs.)
GETZ GLE 1.1 359042
GETZ GVS 1.1 389042
GETZ GVS 1.1 175 tyre + Rear spoiler 399042
GETZ GVS 1.3 409042
GETZ GLS 1.3 429043
GETZ GLX 1.3 459041
DISCLAIMER
The prices and features of the cars may change without prior notice. Please check the latest prices and variant specifications with your Hyundai dealer before booking the car.

I am looking at the Getz GVS 1.3 which sells as per the above list at Rs. 409042.

BTW, what does ex-showroom mean? Does that include the applicable taxes such as Lifetime Tax etc.? Again, just goes to show how clueless I am about these things...so sorry for what may seem inane questions!

Lastly, what do GVS, GLS, GLX stand for? The Hyundai website does not explain.

If I opted for a Swift, I don't think I could afford a brand new one with a comparable feature-set as the GVS 1.3.

Also, I am in agreement with MileCruncher here when he recommends: "Hence I would strongly suggest buying something brand new."

So, by upping the budget to Rs. 4.00 or thereabouts, maybe I should look at a new car?

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Not sure but Hyundai had introduced Getz with the 1.1 engine. That should come within your budget. Please remember the amount of money you going to spend on maintenance in a used car will compensate the money saved. Hence I would strongly suggest buying something brand new.

Two things:
  1. Hyundai has stopped producing the Getz CRDi
  2. With a daily run of 10 Kms, I wouldn't suggest a diesel to him.
Actually, as per the Hyundai website, they also offer a 1.5L CDRi version of the Getz.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Dippy : 11th January 2010 at 09:26. Reason: See note in post.
Old 10th January 2010, 20:07   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

if you have the budget ability then buy brand new. Else consider used because u wl get good low mileage well maintained used cars easily in bangalore. All the best!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th January 2010 at 08:01.
Old 10th January 2010, 20:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, what does ex-showroom mean? Does that include the applicable taxes such as Lifetime Tax etc.?
Ex-showroom price refers to the cost of the car only. Repeat, only the car. The registration etc. costs are not included. Registration is some x percent of the cars value.

Quote:
Lastly, what do GVS, GLS, GLX stand for? The Hyundai website does not explain.

They don't stand for anything, they are just trim levels or variants. The same car is equipped with different engines/exterior accessories and sold as a variant.
Old 10th January 2010, 21:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, what does ex-showroom mean? Does that include the applicable taxes such as Lifetime Tax etc.? Again, just goes to show how clueless I am about these things...so sorry for what may seem inane questions!
Ex-Showroom price is just the price of teh car. On top the ex-Showroom price, you'll need to pay 14% invoice value as road tax plus about 10-13k as insurance and about 5-7k as misc charges
Old 10th January 2010, 22:24   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Ex-Showroom price is just the price of teh car. On top the ex-Showroom price, you'll need to pay 14% invoice value as road tax plus about 10-13k as insurance and about 5-7k as misc charges
But since I already have insurance for the Accent, the 10-13K for insurance would not apply would it? I could just transfer it from the Accent to the new car?

Thanks
Old 12th January 2010, 10:55   #26

Well...after reading your comments and recommendations, I have narrowed down the replacement vehicle to the following:

New Vehicle:

Hyundai Getz (probably the 1.3 GVS model)
Maruti Swift (VXI - I would have like to get ABS with it, but I think it will go beyond my budget)
Chevy UVa (I did not consider this in the beginning, but it seems to look good)

Used Vehicle

i10 (Magna...?)
Maruti Swift Zxi

Aside from these I don't see any other options. Wife turned down the Alto (I agree with her, it is quite small). I used to drive the VW Jetta a long time ago in the U.S. and I loved it. The Polo sounds fantastic, but I think it will be way beyond my current means.

One thing I read in the papers and on this forum too is that apparently, Maruti is going to refresh the Swift with a new petrol engine and that the cost of the refreshed version is going to be cheaper by Rs. 30-35K. I believe the engine will be a 1.2 version/ varient.

How would this rejigged Swift be for intra-city (Bangalore) driving? Especially, in terms of FE?

I also read somewhere on this forum that the Getz line is soon going to closed down by Hyundai. Is this true and if yes, should this be factored in when considering the Getz?

Lastly, if the choice came down to either the Swift (either as it is - second hand buy - or, in the new 1.2 petrol varient - new buy) and the Getz (regardless of the line being closed down - new buy) which would be better?

As I see it...the pros and cons of both are as:

Getz

Pros:

Roomy
Looks good
Apparently handles well
Reliable engine
Relatively sturdy body

Cons:

Relatively poor FE in city conditions
The Getz line may be shut down
The Hyundai site does not say which variant comes with stock ICE - if I go by their list, then none apparently! So, this means that I have to buy ICE equipment. This adds to the cost.

Swift (new and used)

Pros:

Allegedly excellent A.S.S.
Looks good
Can come with good extras - ICE, ABS etc.
Supposedly better FE than Getz

What do you think? As a recap, the budget is Rs. 4.33 lakhs (max 4.50); timeframe to buy March (end) - April (beginning).

Thanks in advance!
Old 12th January 2010, 11:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But since I already have insurance for the Accent, the 10-13K for insurance would not apply would it? I could just transfer it from the Accent to the new car?

Thanks
Insurance cannot be transferred. But yes you can transfer your No Claim Bonus. And in any case the IDV of your Accent will be lesser than a new Getz by quite a margin.
Old 12th January 2010, 16:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

kristalsoldier,

Please decide whether you are interested in new car or pre-owned car. Also, you need to fix you budget.

Otherwise if you throw such an open ended query to the form, you would get so many different replies that you would get confused.

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with taking a car loan if you have a regular job or stable business (unless you already have another loan). With the help of car loan, you could purchase the car you like, even if it was slightly out of your budget for a cash purchase. You should not making a compromise during car purchase and repenting after few months.

Remember that ex-showroom price is only the price of the vehicle. To this you need to add road tax, insurace and accessories. This can be anywhere between 50-75K for a car in 4-5 lakh price range.

Since you are new to Bangalore, let me give you an idea of Bangalore traffic. Just imagine Bhopal's traffic with 20-25 times more vehicles on the roads, pedestrians crossing at their free will, lack of good roads and bikes overtaking you from wrong side. Also, do consider the parking situation in your place before finalising the car.

Finally my suggestions -

- Santro and Getz 1.3 in case you are considering pre-owned cars

- i10 1.1, Ritz petrol, new Estilo, Spark or Beat if you are considering new cars

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 12th January 2010, 17:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
- i10 1.1, Ritz petrol, new Estilo, Spark or Beat if you are considering new cars
+1,
Kristasoldier,
Why not try the Beat? seems to be good. But not the Estilo. Check this out -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ve-review.html

Last edited by rg_chn : 12th January 2010 at 17:39.
Old 12th January 2010, 20:05   #30

@ Rohan...

Thanks for your views. Just a few clarifications.

(1) Budget, as I mentioned above, is fixed Rs. 4.33 (4.50 max).

(2) New Car or Old: A few lowest variants are within my budget to buy new. But I would have to spend money to fit out with ICE (very average quality) and maybe some other stuff. But I do get a warranty for at least a year. Old car - I most likely will get the add-ons included in the price. The price - on an average - will be lower. But I will not get the warranty coverage I would like (min. one year). So, there are tradeoffs. Since I am really a novice at buying and selling cars, I was looking to benefit from the advice of more experienced and knowledgeable folks like yourself.

(3) About Car Loan: I do have a good job. But it has been a policy of ours (my wife and myself, that is) to be as debt-free as possible. I agree that buying a car is a big deal and that I (or, more accurately, we) should not regret the purchase. But, as I also mentioned above it is very likely that I am idiotic and old-fashioned and would do my best to be free of any obligations - primarily, financial.

(4) Ex Showroom prices: Thanks.

(5) Bangalore Traffic: Yup! I am seeing it every morning and evening now!!!

(6) Recommendations: Thanks. Interesting that you pick the Getz 1.3 used, but not new. Any particular reason why? And no recommendation for the Swift - neither new or used?

@ rg_chn

Thanks for the link. I checked it out. Strange looking car! I like the 'cockpit', but I don't like the stubby front! Also, the rear seat looks very claustrophobic! BTW, is the situation similar in the Swift?

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks