Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2010, 11:08   #1

Thinking about switching vehicles: Your point of view?

Hi All...

This is my first post here though I have been lurking around for a while and have enjoyed and benefited immensely from the various topics discussed here.

The situation that I find myself is something like this...

In 2007, I bought an Accent GLS (1.6 DOHC, ABS) with 30,000 kms on it. I have only put on 6000 kms from then till now. I bought the car from a private individual and it was and remains very clean. Whatever work I have done like replacing brakes, servicing etc. have all been done at Hyundai Service Centers and all records are in order.

Now I have moved to Bangalore. Looking at traffic conditions, I think that it would be perhaps better to drive a smaller car - (1) because of the traffic and (2) for fuel efficiency (or at least so I think - though I stand to be corrected). Am I correct in thinking this?

BTW, I have not yet brought the Accent to Bangalore - though I have been given it a serious thought. Of course, changing to a KN registration would be expensive (around Rs. 40-50K)

Recently, I have been offered Rs. 2,75,000 for the Accent (is this a fair offer?). I have another Rs. 50-60K to add to this, which means I can spend a total of Rs, 3,30,000 (or thereabouts) on a car.

The options that I have been thinking of thus far are (1) Maruti Swift, Alto (not the Wagon-R because the wife is not quite in favour of it for some reason or the other), and (2) Hyundai Santro.

Ideally, the vehicle should have no more than 25,000 kms on it and not be a version earlier than a 2006 model. It would be excellent if the vehicle came with at least a 1-year warranty (or more, if possible) of sorts. I did find a few such vehicles on the carwale website (no mention of the warranty though).

My questions, thus, are the following:

(1) Do you think I should just bear the registration costs involved in moving the Accent and forget about the smaller car? By asking this, I mean to also ask if it makes sense (financial sense primarily but also ease of use) to sell off the Accent and opt for a smaller car given my current location?

(2) If I do a buy a smaller car here in Bangalore, which would you recommend?

What we are looking for is a 'tight' car, which is reliable, relatively fuel efficient, and a good city-runner. Basically, I will use the car to go to and from work (total average run of 10 kms) and then going out on weekends etc.

Apologies for these really basic questions! I like cars in the sense that I like to drive them but unfortunately, I am essentially ignorant about cars (which also explains why I am on this site so often!).

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Cheers!

Last edited by kristalsoldier : 10th January 2010 at 11:17.
Old 10th January 2010, 11:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

2007 Accent , and the buyer would become a third owner. Seems the price is good in that case.

If you are not confident taking a sedan to city, then sell it. I would advise that you take the car to Bangy. Its just a matter of 50k ( FE for Accent within bumper to bumper can be a concern).

I would rate Santro a better city car than Alto for coz of it peppiness and seating comfort. Try to get an Alto LXi if you intend to get a second hand car. Swift petrol is a pain to drive within a city like Bangalore without sacrificing FE.

Also, preowned cars are costly in Bangalore!
Old 10th January 2010, 11:32   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
2007 Accent , and the buyer would become a third owner. Seems the price is good in that case.

If you are not confident taking a sedan to city, then sell it. I would advise that you take the car to Bangy. Its just a matter of 50k ( FE for Accent within bumper to bumper can be a concern).

I would rate Santro a better city car than Alto for coz of it peppiness and seating comfort. Try to get an Alto LXi if you intend to get a second hand car. Swift petrol is a pain to drive within a city like Bangalore without sacrificing FE.

Also, preowned cars are costly in Bangalore!
Thanks. Is the FE of the Swift that bad? Surely not comparable to the Accent is it in terms of bad FE under City (Bangalore) conditions?
Old 10th January 2010, 11:39   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

For two reasons it makes sense to give it:

1. Higher tax rates in KA.
If you bring the accent here, and pay the high taxes, you will be stuck to it - selling it in KA is not going to attractive. Neither is taking it back to your home town to sell it (since you would have paid the higher taxes here).

2. If you buy a car here, you can sell it here when you move out. This will take into consideration high tax rates both during the purchase & the sale. There is no point in taking a car out of KA, after paying the high taxes here.
Old 10th January 2010, 12:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalsoldier View Post
Thanks. Is the FE of the Swift that bad? Surely not comparable to the Accent is it in terms of bad FE under City (Bangalore) conditions?
Swift Petrol is a pain to drive in a bumper to bumper traffic. Bad low end torque and hence you have to rev more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
For two reasons it makes sense to give it:

1. Higher tax rates in KA.

2. If you buy a car here, you can sell it here when you move out. This will take into consideration high tax rates both during the purchase & the sale. There is no point in taking a car out of KA, after paying the high taxes here.
Add to that the buyer would be a third owner.

Donno about kristal; but I am very confused. If it was me, I would get an Alto and pamper it.
Old 10th January 2010, 12:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

It is not wise to bring a old car to bangalore and pay tax and then re-register it there, so better dispose it and buy a car in bangalore.

If you are going for a 2nd hand car and still looking for one year warranty like, then it would be better buy a maruti car through their used car division (true-value)?
may be shade expensive than buying from market, but you get maruti warranty which
would be ideal?
Old 10th January 2010, 14:17   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

It makes good sense to sell the car and buy one in KA.

I don't know the B'Lore pre-owned car market well but definitely can say that it will make sense to buy a pre-owned small car in B'Lore,which you can sell when you leave KA.

Use the thumb rule of depreciation and you can,with some luck,get a good pre-owned small car.

You could consider an old Esteem,say 2005(which is better on dimensions than the Accent),the Santro Xing(if you don't have wide feet) or an Indica Diesel
Old 10th January 2010, 14:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
It is not wise to bring a old car to bangalore and pay tax and then re-register it there, so better dispose it and buy a car in bangalore.

If you are going for a 2nd hand car and still looking for one year warranty like, then it would be better buy a maruti car through their used car division (true-value)?
may be shade expensive than buying from market, but you get maruti warranty which
would be ideal?
That was what I was thinking about which is also why I am a bit alarmed to read jkdas's observation about the Swift Petrol!!! I thought those cars are quite good under city conditions!

Hyundai does not have an exchange system like Maruti? And, if I buy a used car from them directly, won't they as a standard practice provide a warranty of at least 6 months to a year? I am asking this because if the Swift Petrol is not that FE, then the options are down to Alto or Santro.

Thanks
Old 10th January 2010, 14:50   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai does not have an exchange system like Maruti? And, if I buy a used car from them directly, won't they as a standard practice provide a warranty of at least 6 months to a year? I am asking this because if the Swift Petrol is not that FE, then the options are down to Alto or Santro.
I don't think Hyundai has something like True Value.

But you will be able to get a good machine even outside-bhpians in B'Lore will definitely help.
Old 10th January 2010, 15:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

As already stated by others, I would also advocate selling your accent. Apart from other reasons, please remember resale value is generally lower in bigger cities.

I would suggest extending the budget a bit and buying a brand new car which will suit all your requirements. Remember a brand new car will have warranty et al apart from negligible maintenance issues.

My preference (since you will be moving from Accent) will be:
  1. Spark
  2. Beat
  3. i10
  4. Santro
  5. Zen Estillo
My 2 paisa gyan
Old 10th January 2010, 15:20   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
If it was me, I would get an Alto and pamper it.
+1. Or even the Santro Xing. Both should fit well within your budget.
Old 10th January 2010, 15:32   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

a pre-owned Spark is also an excellent option
Old 10th January 2010, 15:54   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
As already stated by others, I would also advocate selling your accent. Apart from other reasons, please remember resale value is generally lower in bigger cities.

I would suggest extending the budget a bit and buying a brand new car which will suit all your requirements. Remember a brand new car will have warranty et al apart from negligible maintenance issues.

My preference (since you will be moving from Accent) will be:
  1. Spark
  2. Beat
  3. i10
  4. Santro
  5. Zen Estillo
My 2 paisa gyan
Thanks. Well, I cannot extend the budget immediately so that is a bit of a problem. How is the Spark as a car? How about the AFS of Chevy?

I don't like the looks of the i10 (though I love the i20, which I cannot afford!). I note that most of you experienced folks do not recommend the Swift. Can you tell me why? Also, what about Hyundai's Getz? I was just looking at the thread here that pictorally compares the Swift and the Getz. I also read the India Car comparative review of these two cars. The conclusion of this review is that the Swift has more FE than the Getz in the city (and on the highway) and is supposed to be 'more efficient' than the Getz.

I checked out the Getz (online till now) too and it looks good too. Plus, the 2nd hand costs are relatively lower than that of the Swift (at least on the Carwale site).

So, now there is the Santro, Swift and the Getz!

How I wish I had the money to buy an i20!!!! Oh well!!! Maybe later, I guess!

Cheers!

Last edited by Eddy : 10th January 2010 at 17:09. Reason: Corrected Typo
Old 10th January 2010, 17:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
How I wish I had the money to buy an i20!!!! Oh well!!! Maybe later, I guess!

Cheers!
If you really like the i20 a lot, why not go in for a loan for the remaining money and get yourself one? Again, if its going to be too expensive you could look at a used one.But remember, interest rates are more on a used car than a new one.
Old 10th January 2010, 17:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking at new cars, eliminate Santro and Swift from the list. Wait for the K-Series engine Swift to hit the market. Look at Hyundai i10, Chevrolet Beat and Ritz LXi.

If its between used ones, Santro/WagonR/Spark makes sense. Personally i would prefer the WagonR but since your wife does not like it, Santro is other good option. Spark can be had at a lower cost but after sales will not be as good as Maruti or Hyundai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks