Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2010, 06:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Infact, I'd say an old tata indica. Rear seat is best and the resale is less enough to fit in your budget!

Another decent but not comfortable car is alto vx 1.1 - its gone for under a lakh long back!

/agree with WN on resale values for WagonR.
Old 13th January 2010, 07:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

As already mentioned by phamilyman, I would suggest the alto as its a no non-sense, easy maintenance car. My MIL also has it and she seems to be a pretty happy owner.
Old 13th January 2010, 09:35   #18
BHPian

I would suggest the ford ikon for your mom,though i am not sure on the maintenance part.It is a good car and also the AC is a chiller and well behaved car for the highway's.
Old 13th January 2010, 12:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Infact, I'd say an old tata indica.
Not sure about maintenance costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay123 View Post
I would suggest the ford ikon for your mom,though i am not sure on the maintenance part.It is a good car and also the AC is a chiller and well behaved car for the highway's.
Not recommended as per, never come across a happy Ikon owner.
Old 13th January 2010, 14:05   #20
BHPian

I would suggest you to go for a Tall Boy design. I suggest you to for WagonR(even i own the same). Its very easy for elders to get in and out of the car and the rear seat is very comfortable.

Good luck with your search!
Old 14th January 2010, 00:02   #21
BHPian

Please do let us know once you finalize a car!
Old 15th January 2010, 21:49   #22
BHPian

There are loads of Wagon R's in the second hand market that are in very good condition . Its only a little difficult to find one at a good rate , difficult but not impossible . keep patient and find a good car . You would get a Wagon R 2003 model around 1.85 lakhs (nego) i am sure , make sure you stay away from the dealers who want to make big bucks of customers .
Old 15th January 2010, 21:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

A Wagon R/ Alto/ Zen/ Santro or even an 800.

Stay away from Indicas.
Old 15th January 2010, 22:22   #24
BHPian

An Amby.

Please buy her an Amby if ever she has had back trouble. Ingress and egress and back seat comfort of the amby is legendary. For a lakh a petrol Ambassador should be on the list of probables. Since its chauffeur driven there is nothing like an Amby for comfort. Put in an after market Sanden AC with the Sanden 507 compressor and you can make igloos in the back seat if you want too even in the hot sun. I managed to measure temps of 12 to 14 degrees in Lucknow heat years ago. Forgo the diesel amby if it does not have the ISUZU engine.
Old 15th January 2010, 23:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

SANTRO all the way! Take my word buy a Santro that is not more than 3 years old and your mumma will be very proud of you.
Old 31st January 2010, 10:52   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Please buy her an Amby if ever she has had back trouble. Ingress and egress and back seat comfort of the amby is legendary. For a lakh a petrol Ambassador should be on the list of probables. Since its chauffeur driven there is nothing like an Amby for comfort. Put in an after market Sanden AC with the Sanden 507 compressor and you can make igloos in the back seat if you want too even in the hot sun. I managed to measure temps of 12 to 14 degrees in Lucknow heat years ago. Forgo the diesel amby if it does not have the ISUZU engine.
Come on. The Amby needs to be retired. I will be difficult to find a driver in Goa who would be willing to drive an Amby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxminarayan View Post
Would be good to know if you have any budget restrictions and what other safety features you would want to have in the car.
Looking at a lakh or so. I don't need airbags or abs. Just something safer than an Omni. Primary use will be in the city (actually not a real city, Vasco is a small town).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamir_subzero View Post
Please let us know about your final decision and also share with us if it suited your needs as this will help anyone else with the same query .
I will very soon.
Old 31st January 2010, 19:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Good guy, Really want to keep mother in comfort. Keep it up. To me Alto is the best short distance drive car for the ladies
Old 7th February 2010, 18:05   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Alto is the best short distance drive car for the ladies
The car will be driver driven.

Anyway I've more or less zeroed in on the Esteem. I'm more inclined towards the Carb model as it's going to be cheaper. I don't mind the slightly lower milege as the usage is not much. Unless of course I get a real good deal on a VXi.
Old 7th February 2010, 22:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
The car will be driver driven.

Anyway I've more or less zeroed in on the Esteem. I'm more inclined towards the Carb model as it's going to be cheaper. I don't mind the slightly lower milege as the usage is not much. Unless of course I get a real good deal on a VXi.
L to J,

Have your mother take a test ride in the back seat of the Esteem before you put your money down. Be sure to retrace the daily usage routes.

My parents dislike the esteem's back seat as they find it very difficult to climb down into the seat and out of it and they are otherwise pretty active with no back or knee troubles. In fact most of the elders and a few middle aged relatives and friends have similar complaints with the Esteem's rear bench. I too shun the esteem taxis that come my way as I find the rear bench lacking in both lower back and under thigh support.

On the flip side both of them refuse to sell our 13 year old Zen as they find the rear seat comfort and ingress & egress very comfortable. This is my mother's daily use car. She uses the rear seat 100% of the time & the usage is similar to what you have mentioned for your mother.
Old 8th February 2010, 22:29   #30
BHPian

I would think twice about esteem, have had elders face issues of ingress/ egress, Wagon R is good, you can even think of Zen Estilo as you shud be able to pick one up for fairly low prices... with a good padded seat cover, its good to go...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks