Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 19:14   #1
BANNED

Need a car for mom.

Hi friends needed some help in choosing a car for my mom.
I was thinking of picking up a car (2nd hand) for my mom and keeping a driver. The usage will be primarily in Vasco. Daily trips to the market (1-2 Km), Church thrice a week (again1-2 Km), doctor once or twice a month (maybe 5-6 Km), monthly trips to Cuncolim (60 Km one way) and Cansaulim (15 Km one way) plus some misc trips here and there. All in all about 250 Km in a month. What do you suggest? I was thinking of either an Omni (and fitting an AC) or a Carb. Esteem keeping in mind that it will be used by the driver, so I don’t want any maintenance issues. Secondly, I don’t want to spend too much on the initial purchase.
Old 12th January 2010, 19:31   #2
BHPian

budget?

Would be good to know if you have any budget restrictions and what other safety features you would want to have in the car.
Old 12th January 2010, 19:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

hey partrao, long time. Esteem for mom, it won't go to her man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxminarayan View Post
Would be good to know if you have any budget restrictions and what other safety features you would want to have in the car.
looking at his choice budget is under a lac, cause thats what these car sell for now days in goa.
Old 12th January 2010, 20:26   #4
BHPian

You don't need an Omni if the travel will be restricted to driver + 1 passenger. How about a Zen or something like that?
Old 12th January 2010, 21:28   #5
BHPian

Why Omni? I dont think fitting an extra market AC is successful at all in Omni.

If budget isnt a constraint then go for a WagonR, Santro, Zen etc.
Old 12th January 2010, 21:28   #6
BHPian

An Esteem or a used Zen. Zen's are available for under 1 lakh here in Mumbai.
Old 12th January 2010, 22:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Omni/Esteem for mother ?

See, both are absolutely NO-NO for elders. Omni because of pathetic ride and safety issues. Esteem because ingress and egress is a big problem being very low slung car.

I would suggest go with a tall yet small car. Like Santro/WagonR/Spark.
Santro rear is not as comfortable as WagonR. Spark has the best rear seat comfort. WagonR is a great all rounder with rock solid reliability and strong after sales. You might as well look at a used Indica but be prepared for small niggles time and again.
Old 12th January 2010, 22:22   #8
BHPian

I have a WagonR and also bought a preowned Spark for my Dad recently. Cant comments about Spark but WagonR rear seat seems to be pretty comfortable though I have had the luxury of being driven around very few times only.
Old 12th January 2010, 22:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

I agree with DCEite,

go for a tall boy, it's easier for elders to get in and out of. Wagon R or Santro IMO will suit the purpose.
Old 12th January 2010, 23:45   #10
BHPian

Honestly, i would have to agree a tall car such as a Wagon R or a Santro would be the most sensible choice for your needs . Considering the fact that you require a low maintenance car i would suggest to you a Wagon R as you can pick one up for around 1 lakh and it will serve you well without any issues .
Old 12th January 2010, 23:47   #11
BHPian

Please let us know about your final decision and also share with us if it suited your needs as this will help anyone else with the same query .
Old 13th January 2010, 00:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Pick the Wagon R. That will be the best car you can buy for your mom.
Old 13th January 2010, 02:30   #13
BHPian

The moment i saw this topic without even reading the first thing in my mind came was Wagon R.I am glad others have already posted here.So go ahead there mate.Go for Wagon R.Truely trouble free,Good to Drive,Well Spacious And very low maintainence.I own one so advicing you.
Old 13th January 2010, 02:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamir_subzero View Post
Honestly, i would have to agree a tall car such as a Wagon R or a Santro would be the most sensible choice for your needs . Considering the fact that you require a low maintenance car i would suggest to you a Wagon R as you can pick one up for around 1 lakh and it will serve you well without any issues .
WagonR for 1L? You wouldnt get any running model of WagonR for 1L. Probably not even a 2001 LX. It commands the best resale value in Delhi.

I wasnt able to buy a pre owned WagonR for my Dad because you get a 2 - 3 years old car for just 50 - 60K less than the on road price so I decided against it.
Old 13th January 2010, 03:46   #15
BHPian

I would say a WagonR. The rear and front seat height are just perfect for the elders to ingress and egress. I have made numerous trips with my grandparents, but haven't seen them getting in or out of a car so comfortably as in a WagonR (coz my cousin has an alto and they feel very very uncomfortable to getting or out). You can get the Old ones for a Lac in around Goa or at Mumbai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks