Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2010, 11:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
True, i shall stress on them to get the Michelins for me. One question, will the 195 size fit on the Jazz too?? And how much extra will I have to shell out if I go in with the ones you mentioned. I mean are the XM1s not good enough??
Mehul, IMO XM1's are also good. This is regarding the upsize from 175 to 195 on the City as the original 175's are too weedy. When you exchange Michelins (175 to 195) you will get a better exchange rate than say Goodyear or Bridgestone.
I have no idea on the Jazz upsize.
Cheers
Old 12th February 2010, 12:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
There is a probability that I may*sell the Getz off to make way for a brand new car.
Even I am having the same dilemma of Jazz or City, however if selling the Getz is more than a probability, then I would strongly suggest the City V AT. Great for Mumbai traffic and the only thing you would need to do is upsize the tyres as Cyborg has suggested. One more tip is to take your family and get their views too.

Cheers and good luck with your selection.
Old 12th February 2010, 12:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
True..I want the automatic, lets see how things go. Need to figure out the cash availability!
There isnt a Jazz in automatic as far as i know. I picked up a Honda city beginning of last month ( 2009 Manufacture ) @ 9.51 for the SMT variant in Mumbai. Was offered VMT@ 10.01 .

Decided to save the 50K and spend that on accessories . You can get decent set of alloys which are better looking than honda ones at about 20k max for set of 4.
Old 12th February 2010, 13:08   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
There isnt a Jazz in automatic as far as i know. I picked up a Honda city beginning of last month ( 2009 Manufacture ) @ 9.51 for the SMT variant in Mumbai. Was offered VMT@ 10.01 .

Decided to save the 50K and spend that on accessories . You can get decent set of alloys which are better looking than honda ones at about 20k max for set of 4.
hey manish.. Which will be a good place to get the alloys?? I really love the ones offered on the city V MT, can I get the same ones but at a non-honda price? I know they are charging 30k premium for the entire set. am at vileparle east.. Is Saifee a good place?? pls suggest..
Old 12th February 2010, 14:22   #20
BHPian

Saifee is a good place . I however purchased mine from Pune ( poona motors ) . Even he was offering genuine honda city 5 spoke alloys at about 21-22k if i am not mistaken.
Those are same honda alloys but dont come through the official honda channel

Was even offered Honda City fog lamp @ 5-5.5k by that guy.

Ask Saifee for honda alloys. They should be having it. Try fitting honda one one tyre and another make like Palti or HR on other tyre and see for yourself. You may just end up preferring the other one. Honda ones appear very thin from the out.
Old 12th February 2010, 14:38   #21
BHPian

Quote:
am at vileparle east.. Is Saifee a good place?? pls suggest..
While Saifee maybe a tad more expensive, their work is good, clean and they are upfront about what they charge.
Old 12th February 2010, 14:54   #22
BHPian

Quote:
the suspension too soft for city and highway drives, with jerks literally slamming us all over the place. This was our major complaint, but we have been persisting with it all

If ride quality is important to you why are you looking for that in an Asian car. IMHO European cars are the masters at this.

Why don't you consider the upcoming Polo or maybe the topend Figo.?
Both are spacious hatches with very good ride quality.
not recomending the Punto because you need 5 persons to be seated comfortably..though it has the best ride quality among all cars below 10 lacs.

Last edited by Daewood : 12th February 2010 at 14:58.
Old 12th February 2010, 15:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
While Saifee maybe a tad more expensive, their work is good, clean and they are upfront about what they charge.
I second this. And i know Jitubhai.. Will ask him first when I go scouting.

Quote:
Saifee is a good place . I however purchased mine from Pune ( poona motors ) . Even he was offering genuine honda city 5 spoke alloys at about 21-22k if i am not mistaken.
Those are same honda alloys but dont come through the official honda channel

Was even offered Honda City fog lamp @ 5-5.5k by that guy.

Ask Saifee for honda alloys. They should be having it. Try fitting honda one one tyre and another make like Palti or HR on other tyre and see for yourself. You may just end up preferring the other one. Honda ones appear very thin from the out.
ah hah! I really love the ones they have fitted on the city. hence the preference, else am looking at Lenso as well due to their lightweight nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
If ride quality is important to you why are you looking for that in an Asian car. IMHO European cars are the masters at this.

Why don't you consider the upcoming Polo or maybe the topend Figo.?
Both are spacious hatches with very good ride quality.
not recomending the Punto because you need 5 persons to be seated comfortably..though it has the best ride quality among all cars below 10 lacs.
You are right but I have an insatiable appetite for everything Jap! i love the Japs. I checked the Punto right after I checked the Hondas and frankly the interiors appeared plain and not worth the money. Yes ride quality is better than Honda but again, spoilt for choice! I personally find European interiors not very exciting, the asian ones seem more practical. Again depends from person to person.
Old 12th February 2010, 15:24   #24
BHPian

He has specified that he needs to pick one of the 2 hondas. Getz as a car has quite vertical seating so you will tend to get thrown from one side to other at turns and when braking.

In cars like city where seating behind is reclined this will not be a problem. Upgrade the tyres on on the honda to get better ride .

No car ( atleast south of 10 lacs ) will give you as much peace of mind and low cost of ownership like a Jap. you can consider number of parts failed and replaced in first 5 years time and toyota / honda will be at the lowest number. Even maruti does not come as close.

And no, this is no blind faith . Its just statistics.
Old 12th February 2010, 15:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

it has to be the city any day since you have the budget.
Old 12th February 2010, 17:25   #26
BHPian

I bought a Jazz in mid Jan, got 35 - 37K discount .Not as much as Sumain got but with Insurance through Honda Assure around 20k +around 19k for Regn (where I am) the cost nearly worked out the same.I feel that though it costs more than other Hatchbacks - so does Honda City, ie costs more then other Saloons(sedans)!In case you plan to sell your Getz in the near future then I would suggest the Jazz - for ease in manoeuvering , space, the feeling of airiness - the whole package.It wiil be the most apt repacement.But in case you plan to retain the Getz - go for City.Though I personally feel that if we have no hangups regarding sedan and hatchback then there is no match to the Jazz .

I have a 10 + yrs old Santro and have started feeling quite comfortable driving the slightly(!) larger Jazz inspite of the overcrowded roads in my city.Infact one reason for my choosing the Jazz was its 4.9 m turning circle.The only feature I miss is electrically folding OVRM (side mirrors) like the i20 has. Sumain I am thrilled at the new kit you mentioned - though I would have liked it to include side step garnishes as well.Any idea how much they would cost separately. Thanks.
Old 12th February 2010, 18:35   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit162 View Post
I bought a Jazz in mid Jan, got 35 - 37K discount .Not as much as Sumain got but with Insurance through Honda Assure around 20k +around 19k for Regn (where I am) the cost nearly worked out the same.I feel that though it costs more than other Hatchbacks - so does Honda City, ie costs more then other Saloons(sedans)!In case you plan to sell your Getz in the near future then I would suggest the Jazz - for ease in manoeuvering , space, the feeling of airiness - the whole package.It wiil be the most apt repacement.But in case you plan to retain the Getz - go for City.Though I personally feel that if we have no hangups regarding sedan and hatchback then there is no match to the Jazz .

I have a 10 + yrs old Santro and have started feeling quite comfortable driving the slightly(!) larger Jazz inspite of the overcrowded roads in my city.Infact one reason for my choosing the Jazz was its 4.9 m turning circle.The only feature I miss is electrically folding OVRM (side mirrors) like the i20 has. Sumain I am thrilled at the new kit you mentioned - though I would have liked it to include side step garnishes as well.Any idea how much they would cost separately. Thanks.
hey Amit, well I love the Jazz. regd the side step garnishes they are around 15k though not sure but included with the active variant I guess. Am trying to find the package Sumain mentioned but no luck. Lets see how it goes.
by the way tell me one thing, how do you find the ground clearance?? experienced any issues with it so far??

Quote:
He has specified that he needs to pick one of the 2 hondas. Getz as a car has quite vertical seating so you will tend to get thrown from one side to other at turns and when braking.

In cars like city where seating behind is reclined this will not be a problem. Upgrade the tyres on on the honda to get better ride .

No car ( atleast south of 10 lacs ) will give you as much peace of mind and low cost of ownership like a Jap. you can consider number of parts failed and replaced in first 5 years time and toyota / honda will be at the lowest number. Even maruti does not come as close.

And no, this is no blind faith . Its just statistics.
And I second that Manish. Given the headaches my Getz has given me, I want to settle once and for all, on a Honda. Just want to know from you and tyre experts here...Will the 195 section tyre be the best available upgrade for the Jazz too? since they fit the city as well..ofcourse with the alloys. And which would be the best brand to go for.. the Michelin Primacy or Bridgestone??
Old 12th February 2010, 21:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

If you are selling your Getz and buying a City and you have a NCB on your Getz insurance, you can transfer it to the new car's insurance. This will help save you some more money as well. There are a lot of threads on this. Do read it up and you can save as much as 50% on insurance easily.
Old 13th February 2010, 15:22   #29
BHPian

Practically, I think you should go for the City. I own the new City, I wont say I'm that much happy with it, but since you already own a Getz, you should go for a full size sedan. Will be a morale boost. My City iVTEC has done about 20,000 kms, and I find the car somewhat fragile. Its performance on low gears, imo, is below average.

I also own a 2005 Honda City ZX (no VTEC), which has done some 60,000 kms, and that is a car I love. I totally love its drivability, and this car took me into buying another Honda City, which disappointed me. The interiors feel miserably cheap, and lacks the space of the previous generation City. I dont find the A/C adequate. Its dashboard is placed wierdly, has no asktray. The 2nd Gen City has ashtray both front and back. It has nice cup holders. With the new City, I always find myself bumping elbows with the co-passenger while shifting gears. These are the 'little' things about this car which really irritate me and set me off.

The Jazz is an excellent car. My aunt bought is a month back. The interiors are effin AWESOME!!! I love its practicality. Its gear shifting is pretty sleek. I still dont think its the best when it comes to bumper to bumper traffic, but its definitely better than the new City, which is MISERABLE at 1st and 2nd gear shifts during hugh traffic. The city is pretty spacious though, specially the boot.
Old 13th February 2010, 18:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
hey Amit, well I love the Jazz. regd the side step garnishes they are around 15k though not sure but included with the active variant I guess. Am trying to find the package Sumain mentioned but no luck. Lets see how it goes.
by the way tell me one thing, how do you find the ground clearance?? experienced any issues with it so far??

And I second that Manish. Given the headaches my Getz has given me, I want to settle once and for all, on a Honda. Just want to know from you and tyre experts here...Will the 195 section tyre be the best available upgrade for the Jazz too? since they fit the city as well..ofcourse with the alloys. And which would be the best brand to go for.. the Michelin Primacy or Bridgestone??

I was also unable to find the kit mentioned by Sumain.I checked up with Honda here - they were not aware. Plan to wait for some time - it may be introduced in other places soon.As regards ground clearance,we have some terrible speed breakers here and when I was test driving the i20 - to my surprise it grounded. However through the same speed breakers while I am regularly going with my Jazz - I just had the experience once - probably I didnt slow down sufficiently.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks