Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2010, 13:58   #1
BHPian

Jazz or City?! Really confused

This thread was unavoidable but I couldnt help it.. After much dilly-dallying and test driving, am still not able to come at a conclusion which one to go for. Here are my thoughts, doubts and requirements and want your opinions on the same..

I own a '06 Hyundai Getz GLX ABS, running on the Turanzas and doing pretty good with 30,000 kms on board so far. Now, we all want to buy a new car, we are a family of 4. The Getz was good enough for 4 but when with 5 it got a tad uncomfortable with real lack of space. Plus, what I never liked was Hyundai's after sales and service and the quality of parts. The interior plastics were cheap, the ac not strong enough to cool the entire cabin( even after getting the sun control film on), the suspension too soft for city and highway drives, with jerks literally slamming us all over the place. This was our major complaint, but we have been persisting with it all along. Apart from this, the below par mileage in city which always used to be around 8 to 10kpl. Highway drives gave around 15 but again, never frequent them much!

A few good points included the pickup and the smooth engine. But again, it lacked airbags and ebd, although alloys came as standard which was really great. Handling also is pretty good but is there any car which betters the Getz??

Circa 09, a lot of cars to debut in the coming years, making up my mind, I went to Apex Honda at Santacruz(w) and test drove the Jazz. I was bowled over by the awesome interiors, the cool instrument cluster, the space( just 50mm lesser than the city) and the huge boot. The magic seats are also great but I have used something like that in my Getz which also had foldable rear seats. The engine felt peppy and it was so easy to flick it through the traffic. The supple clutch and the short throw gearbox made things so much easier. Add to it the Honda tag and reliability bonus which I simply love. Next up, drove a friends new City, same awesomeness but apart from the little more space inside the car, the interior of the Jazz felt much better than the City's. The dashboard, the quality of plastic felt much better and the one on the City felt a little cheap( the dash and the ac knobs) although not so by Honda standards. Plus the lack of cd player worried me a little bit.

After all this, I was back driving my Getz and it was a completely different experience. I found the clutch hard, the pickup less( had got the car back from service couple of days back!), the Hondas had charmed me completely. So we decided that no more scouting around, right away booking a Honda but the dilemma remains which one!

The Jazz has better interior quality, the City has little more space, the Jazz has a cd player system, the City it will be extra for fitting one, both have great engines and suspension and ground clearance. The topic of debate is price..

The Jazz(mode and active) are priced 8.5L and throw in alloys and fog lamp it comes down to around 65k more, as Honda charges nearly 13k for 1 alloy and 15k for the foglamps. The alloy I mean is the one which comes with the City top variant and looks superb. One surprising thing was Honda aint giving standard things like mudflaps, they have to be bought extra!! Same for the body protector strips. This applies for the City and the Jazz.

The City top variant, the V MT comes fully loaded(sans cd player) for 10.32L a price difference of 1.32, for which I get 300cc more, 28bhp more, and a proper boot space.

Now in city traffic, I always found my Getz to be handy at places where sedans couldn't cut through simply because of its size. I found the Jazz nimble enough to perform the same thing but the city was good too! Adding to my confusion..

I have been reading ownerships report of the Jazz by cpyder and biju. Really love the car, the last thing on my mind is the price. I really hope Honda reduce it by a lac and even they know it. Or for that price include alloys as standard. If they do it, am really awaiting. Else the car purchase remains on hold and inquiring with other dealers with pricing.

Thats why need everybodys inputs and opinions regd both the cars side by side with regards to everything...ride quality, suspension etc etc. Let this thread also serve the purpose of helping out members who want to buy the Jazz but what is it that doesnt convince them enough!

awaiting replies...

Cheers,

Mehul.
Old 10th February 2010, 15:08   #2
BHPian

Forgot to add this to my post, we dont want to sell the Getz off pretty soon. She will still be there. So kinda this will be a new purchase and the Getz will too be used sparingly..
Old 10th February 2010, 15:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Be cool and buy the City V MT - for the difference in price you are getting a proper sedan with a boot. 118 bhp,1.5 litre engine too. In case you are willing to splurge the extra cash, go in for the AT. Its great in the city and will not penalize you too much for the comfort an auto gives in Mumbai traffic. Since you are keeping the Getz, this way you will have a sedan and a hatchback in the family instead of two hatchback's.
IMO the jazz is priced way too high to even consider - its not worth it.
Be sure and happy with whatever you finally decide!
Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 10th February 2010 at 15:42. Reason: Add text.
Old 10th February 2010, 16:33   #4
BHPian

Cyborg: thanks mate! Yep i would love to go ahead with the city AT,the paddle shift gears are truly drool maal. The on road price is 11.15L..

I would want to know hows the Honda after sales and service( since you also got it from the Apex guys)?? and is the warranty period 4 years standard?? Or do i have to pay something for getting 2 years extended?
Old 10th February 2010, 16:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Cyborg: thanks mate! Yep i would love to go ahead with the city AT,the paddle shift gears are truly drool maal. The on road price is 11.15L..

I would want to know hows the Honda after sales and service( since you also got it from the Apex guys)?? and is the warranty period 4 years standard?? Or do i have to pay something for getting 2 years extended?
Mehul, I took delivery of my Civic V AT yesterday from Apex at Kurla too.
The Sales/Service is fine - similar to Arya Honda. They are fine as long as you show them you know things and won't accept any nonsense. Once they see that, you will be fine. Do not show them you are ignorant of anything.
The 4 year warranty is standard, you get all the paperwork for it and do not have to pay anything extra.
Cheers!

Last edited by Cyborg : 10th February 2010 at 16:57. Reason: Adding text.
Old 10th February 2010, 17:11   #6
BHPian

From a new Jazz owner:

1. Just bought a 2009 manufacturing date Honda Jazz in Jan 2010 at a hefty discount of 60K. (Call the dealer IMMEDIATELY and ask if they have any 2009 pieces. I got mine in Delhi)

2. A new accessory kit has been announced by Honda. Fog lamps + side strips + bumper protectors = 20.5K. BIG saving over the individual price.

3. For alloys, ask the dealers for a set of 4 original Honda CITY alloys. The size is the same. The price is much lower at 22k for the set, instead of the more than twice as much for imported Honda alloy set. AND they are original Honda.

Maybe the above will swing you towards the Jazz!

Cheers.
Old 10th February 2010, 17:19   #7
BHPian

I think you have fallen for the Jazz, and its is a nice spacious cheerful car, however given you intend you keep the Getz which is also a hatch I would strongly recommend you let go of the Jazz and book a City without over thinking this. The Jazz is 1.2 and since you are keeping the Getz and have a budget the City selects itself.
Old 10th February 2010, 17:39   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Firstly, your comparing two different segment cars. Secondly, for the price difference you get a more spacious and powerful "sedan".

Finally, since your keeping your hatch, It's a no brainer that you should be going in for the City. AT or MT is just what you need to figure out
Old 10th February 2010, 18:34   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Firstly, your comparing two different segment cars. Secondly, for the price difference you get a more spacious and powerful "sedan".

Finally, since your keeping your hatch, It's a no brainer that you should be going in for the City. AT or MT is just what you need to figure out
True..I want the automatic, lets see how things go. Need to figure out the cash availability!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I think you have fallen for the Jazz, and its is a nice spacious cheerful car, however given you intend you keep the Getz which is also a hatch I would strongly recommend you let go of the Jazz and book a City without over thinking this. The Jazz is 1.2 and since you are keeping the Getz and have a budget the City selects itself.
The Jazz aint a hatch at all..its almost a sedan and mini innova. Loved it more than any other car from its segment. And the width of the city and the jazz is the same, the only difference being on wheelbase which is 50mm shorter contributing to a wee bit lesser interior space. Thats about it. But yes, the Jazz is very well designed than the city, atleast interior wise. The twin glovebox, the dash are way better lookers and do the duty too, than the city whom i found a little plain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumain View Post
From a new Jazz owner:

1. Just bought a 2009 manufacturing date Honda Jazz in Jan 2010 at a hefty discount of 60K. (Call the dealer IMMEDIATELY and ask if they have any 2009 pieces. I got mine in Delhi)

2. A new accessory kit has been announced by Honda. Fog lamps + side strips + bumper protectors = 20.5K. BIG saving over the individual price.

3. For alloys, ask the dealers for a set of 4 original Honda CITY alloys. The size is the same. The price is much lower at 22k for the set, instead of the more than twice as much for imported Honda alloy set. AND they are original Honda.

Maybe the above will swing you towards the Jazz!

Cheers.
How much did the Jazz cost you in all?? Yes I need the alloys badly. The alloys here are 13k a piece. Let me contact them and see what they got to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Mehul, I took delivery of my Civic V AT yesterday from Apex at Kurla too.
The Sales/Service is fine - similar to Arya Honda. They are fine as long as you show them you know things and won't accept any nonsense. Once they see that, you will be fine. Do not show them you are ignorant of anything.
The 4 year warranty is standard, you get all the paperwork for it and do not have to pay anything extra.
Cheers!
Thanks a heap cyborg. Well when I went to check the cars out I already knew more than the sales guy did! He understood me and took it from there

One more query...Michelins now offering tyres as standard fitment on the Honda city and Jazz. However, the sales person didnt confirm to me that the delivery vehicle will have the michelins. He said it COULD be mrf or goodyear as it depends on the factory fitting! Now isnt this strange as Michelin have officially tied up to supply tyres for City and Jazz..what say??
Old 10th February 2010, 19:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Now that you will have the hatch in the form of Getz, what you need next is a sedan. So go for City with MT. MT because I assume that city chores and going into congested areas, etc. will be with Getz and highway duties will be with Honda City.

This is the best combination you will have. If you go for Jazz, in the first place, you will not have boot space, plus it looks like you have a 5th passenger occasionally. Next, City has a bigger and better performing hearth than Jazz, so this tilts the scale in favor of City IMHO.
Old 10th February 2010, 19:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Now that you will have the hatch in the form of Getz, what you need next is a sedan. So go for City with MT. MT because I assume that city chores and going into congested areas, etc. will be with Getz and highway duties will be with Honda City.

This is the best combination you will have. If you go for Jazz, in the first place, you will not have boot space, plus it looks like you have a 5th passenger occasionally. Next, City has a bigger and better performing hearth than Jazz, so this tilts the scale in favor of City IMHO.
Hi aa, how are you? thanks for the advice. There is a probability that I may*sell the Getz off to make way for a brand new car. But the problem between the City and the Jazz is the Citys got space and the interiors of the Jazz are very very cool indeed. They better the city though fall short of the space. Both Hondas are yummy indeed want my hand on both of em
Old 11th February 2010, 02:04   #12
BHPian

While I appreciate the innovations within the Jazz, the dashboard is just plain ugly. To me, the dash of of the Jazz is just too much into the car. The City on the other hand has a well proportioned dash and it is much less obtrusive.
Old 11th February 2010, 09:30   #13
BHPian

What the Jazz cost me:

Ex-showroom 6.38L (after discount) + insurance approx 20K + registration approx 35K.

Accessories: Thinking of adding on original Honda City alloys @ 22K for the set of 4 (15 inch alloys). Also fog lamps + side strips + bumper protectors. Kit price 20.5K.

I am in Delhi. Where are you located?

Cheers
Old 11th February 2010, 09:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
True..I want the automatic, lets see how things go. Need to figure out the cash availability!

Thanks a heap cyborg. Well when I went to check the cars out I already knew more than the sales guy did! He understood me and took it from there

One more query...Michelins now offering tyres as standard fitment on the Honda city and Jazz. However, the sales person didnt confirm to me that the delivery vehicle will have the michelins. He said it COULD be mrf or goodyear as it depends on the factory fitting! Now isnt this strange as Michelin have officially tied up to supply tyres for City and Jazz..what say??
I got the Michelin MXV8's with my Civic, however Honda has tie-ups with Bridgestone and Goodyear as well. Don't know about MRF as have not seen any Honda cars factory fitted with MRF.
Actually what the dealer said is corrrect, its plain luck what tyre you get with the car - depends on the tyre batch available with Honda in the factory.
That said, you could insist with the dealer at the time of the BOOKING (get a confirmation on that) for ONLY MICHELINS - they will do that for you.
IMO if you are finally going for the City, you would need to upgrade the tyres as the factory fitment is 175 which is too weedy. Insist on the Michelins and get them ecxhanged (more resale) for Michelin Primacy LC in the 195 size straight from the showroom. It will enhance the looks and more importantly the grip and handling.
Do let us know what you decide.
Cheers.
Old 11th February 2010, 17:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumain View Post
What the Jazz cost me:

Ex-showroom 6.38L (after discount) + insurance approx 20K + registration approx 35K.

Accessories: Thinking of adding on original Honda City alloys @ 22K for the set of 4 (15 inch alloys). Also fog lamps + side strips + bumper protectors. Kit price 20.5K.

I am in Delhi. Where are you located?

Cheers
Am from Mumbai mate. So the total amount in your case is 7.35L which is not bad at all mann! but again the registration charges here are much higher than Delhi almost at 56k and some Honda assure price at 21k(what is this?). I checked up with my dealer today but they got no clue with regards to the alloys or the fog lamp kit you mentioned! Is this only available in delhi?? Whys it not available here?! Damn.. Even regd the alloys they were clueless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I got the Michelin MXV8's with my Civic, however Honda has tie-ups with Bridgestone and Goodyear as well. Don't know about MRF as have not seen any Honda cars factory fitted with MRF.
Actually what the dealer said is corrrect, its plain luck what tyre you get with the car - depends on the tyre batch available with Honda in the factory.
That said, you could insist with the dealer at the time of the BOOKING (get a confirmation on that) for ONLY MICHELINS - they will do that for you.
IMO if you are finally going for the City, you would need to upgrade the tyres as the factory fitment is 175 which is too weedy. Insist on the Michelins and get them ecxhanged (more resale) for Michelin Primacy LC in the 195 size straight from the showroom. It will enhance the looks and more importantly the grip and handling.
Do let us know what you decide.
Cheers.
True, i shall stress on them to get the Michelins for me.
One question, will the 195 size fit on the Jazz too?? And how much extra will I have to shell out if I go in with the ones you mentioned. I mean are the XM1s not good enough??

Most Viewed