Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2011, 22:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Compact city car - Dimensions vs Turning Radius

I just learnt that the term turning radius or turning circle actually covers only the area traveled by the wheels. It doesn't cover overhang, side walls or anything that protrudes. The "wall turning circle" covers the whole circle needed to turn the car without hitting anything. Which means, turning radius can be quite a misleading term depending on how much protrusion is there from the front & sides. For example: Punto's turning radius is supposed to be 5.4m. But, quite a bit of the car protrudes in the front, beyond the tyres (compared to other hatches). So its wall turning circle will be much, much more.

Any data on wall turning circle of Indian cars? Or any formula to calculate that? I couldn't find this info by googling anywhere.
Old 24th April 2011, 21:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Compact city car - Dimensions vs Turning Radius

Dont exactly mean to bump up this thread, but this thought has been rolling in my head for the past few days.

When going into really crowded streets in the city, I sometimes wish I had a much smaller car. So much so that I sometimes envy the Nano or Spark in front of me. But when I come back home and calculate the difference in width & length, it is around 15-20 cm. In other words, a car like Spark is around 10% smaller in width and just around 5% smaller in width compared to say, a car like Figo. Not more than that, apparently.

So, is it perception of big car vs small car creating a mindset, or that 5 to 10% in length & width really such a huge factor when driving in crowded streets?

Thoughts?

Last edited by rajushank84 : 24th April 2011 at 21:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks