Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2010, 14:08   #1
BHPian

Best 'sporty' car under 20lakhs

Guys, Im studying at a south bombay college. Im about to finish my graduation and as promised by my dad I am entitled to buy any car for myself within 20lakhs. The thing is that im 21 and want something sporty. dont want to go and buy a new Laura or something. I wouldn't mind a 2nd hand car thats not been abused too much.
I was thinking about a 2nd hand c class c220 cdi(the new shape) or maybe a 320d second hand but they re going for 21-22 lakhs and theres no way my dads gonna give me any more cash. My dad already owns a 2006 c class (the older one).
Im looking for something that doesn't need too much of garage time as I personally don't know a lot about the mechanicals of cars and don't really have the time although my dad is very particular about his cars and keeps them in top condition.
So my needs/wants/desires:
-Should have good road presence as in brand and design
-Not too hard or a pain to maintain
-Sportier the better(would love a coupe)

I was thinking of an SLK 200 or some old SL but don't know how much these cars go for ? Maybe they re out of my budget but the E46 M3.. how much would that cost?

Also guys, the option of buying a Lancer or something and then completely modifying it(engine wise) is not an option as i wont be able to keep up with the upkeep of the car.

So what do you experts suggest?
Old 25th March 2010, 11:23   #2
BHPian

How much are you willing to bet on the maintenance aspects of the car, yearly basis ?
The cars you are eyeing for (in the used market) will be VERY COSTLY to maintain and upkeep, if something goes bust.
Make sure you are okay with that aspect.

Buying a used Merc/BMW is just one part of the story.
Maintaining it is quite another.

Also, is FE important ? What's your daily drive like ?
Are you looking for diesel or petrol ?

Last edited by jigbarai : 25th March 2010 at 11:24.
Old 25th March 2010, 11:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

how about used supra's ?
but again you will need frequent garage visits(maybe not for Repairs but Mods).
Old 25th March 2010, 11:58   #4
BHPian

If you want to go for a new car, you have the following options :

1. Laura Petrol : One heck of a performance car, will save you ~6l which can be used for modding.

2. Cruze LTZ A/T : If you go for this car, go for the A/T. Manual has a bit of turbo lag. Great features, I think it's VFM.

3. Mitsubishi Evo : Not yet launched. If you can wait, this is the car for you. Price is on the higher side though.

On the other hand, you might get a used '07 BMW 3 series or '07 C-Class. A grade higher would get you '04 E-Class. Good on features, great badge. But maintaining one can prove expensive. It will be a bit of a risk. Chances of electrical problems can be high in such cars especially after the warranty period. If I have to select between these, a Bimmer wins hands down.

Another car is the Accord V6. This one scores on low maintenance and is a pretty good drivers car. You can pick up a '06-'07 model for <10l and mod it up with the rest of the moolah. Pretty bad resale values though.

Since you mentioned you need peace of mind, you will get that on a new car only. You need to take a small risk on the used ones.

Last edited by prateekm : 25th March 2010 at 12:05.
Old 25th March 2010, 14:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why not look for a Toyota Celica or Honda CRX, buddy. Saying just because they are sporty and within your budget. Don't know anything about their maintenance, parts availability etc.
Try looking for a Supra too although getting one would be real difficult, but I have heard parts availability isn't an issue.
Old 25th March 2010, 15:39   #6
BHPian

How about this?

Team-BHP Classifieds - Misubishi GTO VR4 Twin Turbo - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Old 25th March 2010, 18:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
How much are you willing to bet on the maintenance aspects of the car, yearly basis ?
The cars you are eyeing for (in the used market) will be VERY COSTLY to maintain and upkeep, if something goes bust.
Make sure you are okay with that aspect.

Buying a used Merc/BMW is just one part of the story.
Maintaining it is quite another.

Also, is FE important ? What's your daily drive like ?
Are you looking for diesel or petrol ?
Maintenance in terms of cost should be such a big problem as my Dad would be helping me out. Its just the hassel of maintaining a modified car that i dont want, you know something gets spoilt every 2 weeks and then you gotta go scout for the right guys and the right parts and stuff.
As far as Ive heard , old Mercs are a less of a hassel compared to BMWs and parts are easily available right?
FE is not very important, I would settle for 5-6 if its a sporty car. This is gonna be my chill out machine, to take out at night.
Currently I drive a 2004 Honda City and clock about 60kms a day.
I am open to both petrol and diesel. My familys never owned a diesel before but im open minded in that aspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
how about used supra's ?
but again you will need frequent garage visits(maybe not for Repairs but Mods).
Its really hard to find one in decent condition. Do let me know if you come across one. Would lik to check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
If you want to go for a new car, you have the following options :

1. Laura Petrol : One heck of a performance car, will save you ~6l which can be used for modding.

2. Cruze LTZ A/T : If you go for this car, go for the A/T. Manual has a bit of turbo lag. Great features, I think it's VFM.

3. Mitsubishi Evo : Not yet launched. If you can wait, this is the car for you. Price is on the higher side though.

On the other hand, you might get a used '07 BMW 3 series or '07 C-Class. A grade higher would get you '04 E-Class. Good on features, great badge. But maintaining one can prove expensive. It will be a bit of a risk. Chances of electrical problems can be high in such cars especially after the warranty period. If I have to select between these, a Bimmer wins hands down.

Another car is the Accord V6. This one scores on low maintenance and is a pretty good drivers car. You can pick up a '06-'07 model for <10l and mod it up with the rest of the moolah. Pretty bad resale values though.

Since you mentioned you need peace of mind, you will get that on a new car only. You need to take a small risk on the used ones.
Laura new: Thats what i was thinking of first but then the front end doesnt really appeal to me. So im thinking of getting a new civic in white and then modding it up(visually). They are good lookers. Downside is the lack of power.

No chevy. Im looking at a car with a higher brand value if you know what im saying.

The mistubishi EVO! under 20 lakhs? Ill take 3 at that price. Thank You.
(ive heard its close to 50L)

No E class for me. wont suit me.
Looking out for a good c200k cause the c220cdi is out of budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
Why not look for a Toyota Celica or Honda CRX, buddy. Saying just because they are sporty and within your budget. Don't know anything about their maintenance, parts availability etc.
Try looking for a Supra too although getting one would be real difficult, but I have heard parts availability isn't an issue.
I found a white toyota celica (the latest shape) for sale for less than half my budget! I jumped with joy man. But the papers were not clear and the car is kept hidden. Dont want to get into customs and dri and all that man.
My dad already has a 2.4 CRV.

Thats seems to be a great car. The paint seems to be an issue but most importantly the price. 22.5 L for a 1993 Mistubishi !
Old 25th March 2010, 19:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Like many of us here , I would also go with the Laura TSI. Truly amazing car with the ability to munch up the miles without munching much on petrol. With this buy you are again let with 5 lakhs which I would use to buy a Figo..
Old 26th March 2010, 14:29   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Your best bet is a used Jap sportscar. Not only the Mitsu GTO that has been linked above, but I also remember seeing a clean-looking Toyota MR2 in our classifieds. Look them up. Of course, expect to spend some amount of time in sourcing parts for these niche sports cars, and on their overall upkeep.

If you want to play it safe, screen the market for 2 - 3 year old BMW 325s. Easily had in 20 lakhs or less. Maintenance will be as simple as driving to Navnit Motors once a year. The engine is wicked, and the chassis delectably balanced.
Old 26th March 2010, 14:42   #10
BANNED

Go for a Civic with a nice kit and some mild engine mods.
Old 28th March 2010, 15:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Your best bet is a used Jap sportscar. Not only the Mitsu GTO that has been linked above, but I also remember seeing a clean-looking Toyota MR2 in our classifieds. Look them up. Of course, expect to spend some amount of time in sourcing parts for these niche sports cars, and on their overall upkeep.

If you want to play it safe, screen the market for 2 - 3 year old BMW 325s. Easily had in 20 lakhs or less. Maintenance will be as simple as driving to Navnit Motors once a year. The engine is wicked, and the chassis delectably balanced.
I thought about the gt3000, also spoke to my dad about it and Ive decided against it.
Going in wither for a used 3 series or C200K. At the moment im leaning towards the C200K. Have heard that the ride in the 325i is pretty bad on bumpy roads and its not like out roads are even close to being of a single gradient. I haven't come across a 325i below 20 either. Also my family has always owned mercs and i doubt we ever had a bmw but the 3 series looks more my kind you know for college going guy. The car is only going to be used by me at all times and ALWAYS self driven.

So finally what do you guys suggest-
should it be the c200k 2007 in white or a used 3 series?
Old 28th March 2010, 16:01   #12
Team-BHP Support

if its self driven it has to be the 3 series. the merc especially the c200k is nowhere close to the pleasure the inline six of the 325i will give you. the ride is a little stiff but its not all that bad.
Old 28th March 2010, 16:14   #13
BHPian

hey buddy akshay1234, from your profile it says your 18. Have you driven a 3 series and a c200k so be able to make that comment? Also wont the FE of the 325 be much worse than the c
Old 28th March 2010, 19:51   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSooSeriouss View Post
hey buddy akshay1234, from your profile it says your 18. Have you driven a 3 series and a c200k so be able to make that comment? Also wont the FE of the 325 be much worse than the c
i have actually, lol. the 325i is also much more loaded in terms of features than the c200k. yes, i think the fe would probably be 1-1.5kmpl lower in the 325i maybe more depending on how its driven. youve said ull settle for 5kmpl if its sporty. otherwise look at 320d, though the resale value of the 325i is worse so youll probably get a newer example of the 325i. the advantage of diesel is that you can rip it without having to worry about fuel.
Old 28th March 2010, 21:50   #15
Awaiting Email Confirmation

If you're planning to get a luxury German, i'd suggest a diesel. But IMHO, pre-worshipped cars are risky cars. I think you should get a new car like the Laura 1.8TSI or the Chevy Cruze (i read you have a thing for badges but heck! who cares about badges when you've got sunroof, start/stop button and that muscular design). Though you might NOT be pleased with Chevy's interiors. The new Laura is a pretty hot favorite and a very nice car.
Since, you've already got a C in the family, i wouldn't really suggest picking it up again. Get a 3 if you're very keen on the entry-level luxury Germans. In the 3, the 320d Highline would be my pick!
Keep us posted with your decision.
Cheers!

PS: How are you getting a 2007 C in the new design? I thought only 2008+ cars are in the new design, unless i am wrong here. And if it's not the latest design, then you shouldn't be thinking about it.

OT: You say you're 21 but your profile says you're 25!

Last edited by Akki_5 : 28th March 2010 at 21:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks