Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 10:53   #31
BHPian

Honeybee,

I am sending you a PM, respond if you want me to pursue.

cheers !

imp!
Old 30th March 2010, 12:51   #32
BHPian

We use to travel over 500kms (Mumbai to Kankavli) in a Bolero, the ride was not the best, it could accommodate 8 people but not in sedan level comfort. So if ride comfort is very important, safari rules over the bolero anyday.

Now if you could strech you're used car budget to 6 lakhs, you might be able to buy an Innova - 2005/2006 model, about 55-60k on the odo.

This might help, found a few listings between 6,00,000 - 6,50,000.

Used Cars - Search used cars available for sale in India - CarWale.com

But I have no idea about the maintenance costs of Innova, maybe a few owners can chip that information in.
Old 31st March 2010, 10:08   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all for the suggestions again. And thanks imp! for the PMs.

Regarding a dated design, neither the Bolero nor the Scorpio or Safari have a modern design. These cars have essentially remained the same in terms of design and looks.

I talked to the person in charge of a local Maruti ASC yesterday and he has promised to check into a probable Versa one of his friends owns. I asked him about Qualis as well, since he himself owns one, and he said the spares availability won't be a problem and his routine paid service bills are always under 3K. Not to mention the vehicle has run trouble free.

Unfortunately right now there are some constraints on the budget. Hopefully by the time I shall really need a bigger vehicle (in about 6-8 months) these constraints will have disappeared.

From the budget point of view, the following is the order:

Versa
Safari/Bolero
Sumo
Qualis/Tavera
Innova

From the comfort point of view, following may be the order:

Innova (3rd row may be better than in Safari)
Safari
Qualis/Tavera
Sumo/Versa
Bolero

From reliability point of view, following may be the order:

Innova/Qualis/Versa/Bolero
Sumo/Tavera
Safari

I also saw a used Rhino on carwale. The price is more than 3L, but what worries me is the small number of Rhinos on the road. I had TDed it a couple of years back and it was surprisingly good in terms of function and features. Buying a used one means making sure it can be serviced outside the ASC chains. And I don't know if the Rover engine can be serviced outside. Then there are others like the Premier Sigma which no one seems to have even checked out. So that's an abyss.
Old 13th April 2010, 09:10   #34
Senior - BHPian

Came across a 2003-registered 9+1 seater Tata Sumo SA model, supposedly has dual AC. Selling for about 1,80,000/- or thereabouts, third owner, done about 70K or more.
Old 13th April 2010, 09:55   #35
Senior - BHPian

Man, why do you want keep going to Tata vehicles again & again? I agree it will fit in your budget, but you're going to run between pillars & post for the poor T.A.S.S as well as the problems bound to happen with old Tata cars. Is it worth that money you're spending?
Old 18th April 2010, 21:22   #36
BHPian

I agree that the older safari do suffer from low FE and also high body roll. Plus their build quality may not be most up-to-date.

ALternately, what you can also do is, in case you know someone in ICICI bank or other loan giving banks (large ones), you can meet the manager and ask him if they are selling any impounded cars. Many times people default on payments, etc and banks impound the car, which are then sold off at a cheaper rate, as the banks do not want the burden on keeping the car and all.

You can check various options available with the bank for you. May just work in favour.

Regarding TASS, since you are in Mumbai, I can guide you to very good TASS at Kandivali. I have been servicing my Indigo as well as Safari there and the experience has been very very satisfying so far. Infact I got my cousin to move his vista from existing TASS to this place and even he is very happy with the service offered.

When I had gone to collect the Vista for my cousin after service, I had a chat with the service advisor. He gave a very honest and frank opinion reg the general perception of TASS servicing and the reason behind it. He mentioned that earlier on, the car quality from TA-MO was very bad and hence even new cars had lots of issues. This really caused the service center people to feel very low about their work and never got any job-satisfaction. Due to this there was lot of employee churn. Now, that the cars are coming from TA-MO with better quality, they are seeing a change in customer's perception which makes them feel good and motivates them to offer better service.

I dont know if this is true of all TASS, but somehow, I did find merit in his logic.
Old 13th May 2010, 21:44   #37
BHPian

i would advise you to wait for two months, tata venture 8 seater is being lanched.
i have seen it in 2010 delhi auto expo, well Engineered van. cost around 6 lakh I think.
Old 13th May 2010, 22:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Man, why do you want keep going to Tata vehicles again & again? I agree it will fit in your budget, but you're going to run between pillars & post for the poor T.A.S.S as well as the problems bound to happen with old Tata cars. Is it worth that money you're spending?
Good part is you dont need to take it to TASS always, your nearby meachanic will be able to fix most of the issues. I think "Tata Venture" is your vehicle and will be available during the festive season.
Old 15th May 2010, 18:40   #39
BHPian

Just saw a Tata Winger 2008 model with 3oK on the Odo for 4.5 L on one of the websites
Used Tata Winger Deluxe - Hi Roof (Non-AC) (2008) in Mansa | P45112 | Second Hand Tata Winger Deluxe - Hi Roof (Non-AC)
Old 15th May 2010, 22:13   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisag View Post
Just saw a Tata Winger 2008 model with 3oK on the Odo for 4.5 L on one of the websites
Used Tata Winger Deluxe - Hi Roof (Non-AC) (2008) in Mansa | P45112 | Second Hand Tata Winger Deluxe - Hi Roof (Non-AC)
I am not sure whether Tata Winger is a family commuter vehicle. It is meant mostly for taxi purpose.
Old 28th May 2010, 12:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I am not sure whether Tata Winger is a family commuter vehicle. It is meant mostly for taxi purpose.
The Winger with rear AC vents can be a good family vehicle for a large family. Though the seats won't be as comfy as those in the Innova/Xylo, they are adequate. And you can always customize the seats. The space inside is simply huge. If you were to fit a carrier on the roof, the luggage can be stowed away and the whole rear cabin is available for you to customize to your needs.
Old 28th May 2010, 15:25   #42
BHPian

Get a used Tavera. As long as it's maintained well, it will run without need for engine rebuild for around 200K-300K kms. Great FE, Good service, reasonable parts prices, excellent ride, loads of space. Looks better than a Winger/Qualis too.

I'd advise against a Qualis. Some parts are getting rarer and thus expensive, sometimes going up to to 250% of MRP. Tavera is still in production, so parts aren't a problem.

There aren't too many new vehicles under 6L that fit your criteria. I'd suggest extending it a bit, or waiting till you can extend it. Also, don't go purely by our opinions. Shop around, and take TDs before coming to a decision.
Old 28th May 2010, 21:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Xylo I can consider provided it comes with some steering adjustment. I have already mentioned I have some problem adjusting to the driving position in the Mahindra vehicles. So unless this problem is taken care of, there's no point in considering this vehicle.
The xylo D2 does come with height adjustable seats and tilt steering. Yes, this is the base version of the Xylo.
Old 16th June 2010, 11:35   #44
Senior - BHPian

How about the Gypsy? Here are some of the pros and cons of the vehicle, IMO. Please add to them from your own experiences/feedbacks.

Pros:

High ground clearance, so monsoons, waterlogged areas and bad roads no longer a threat.

Lightweight, so should prove to be an agile vehicle on the roads.

Maruti brand, translates into a peace of mind kind of ownership (this is for a new Gypsy).

Moddable to some extent, specially in terms of lighting. So driving in the nights or rains should not be as difficult as it is now.

Ample storage space if less number of people are travelling.

Cons:

Leaf springs all round
Rear bench seats
Lack of factory AC
High stance

- may make it a poor family vehicle, considering elderly people.

Also the FE and cruising speeds are a bit of a concern. I have gone through the various Gypsy posts and found the FE to be 15kmpl on highways, and the max speed to be around 110kmph.

What I haven't found yet is are there any users out there who are using their Gypsies as a family vehicle and not just an offroader.
Old 16th June 2010, 15:28   #45
Senior - BHPian

About Gypsy not all M.A.S.S can service Gypsy properly and you should find one which have people with Gypsy experience.Also you need to consider a hardtop one for a family vehicle in place like Mumbai.
Old Gypsy ( MG410) was grossly underpowered ( approx 45 BHP) the MG413/ Gypsy King with hardtop can serve as an everyday vehicle but finding a good used peace is next to impossible.

New Gypsy King will cost 6.5 Laks + with special order , I do not know if it is BS4 and can be registered in Mumbai or not.

About Bolero for the price point you have you will get old Bolero DI it is again good but noisy and not so comfortable ride for family. New BS4 CRDe Bolero that you can register in Mumbai will be approx 8 lakhs

Sumo/Qualis/Tavera/ Innova are in high demand in Taxi market and in budget until you are getting a used one from individual owner keep away there is a high probability of getting an abused / accidental peace as low cost from dealers /unknown sources.

Since you have some posts showing interest in safaris PM user 'mercidiced 'he has a second hand TCIC Safari done almost 2 lakh KM on odo. There are some other readers who have 1 Lakh KM + on ODO and they can guide you about maintenance cost, Basically TCIC Safari engine /gearbox was same as Sumo and is reliable.

Most Viewed