Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:49   #1
BHPian

Car for grandparents .

Hi everyone ,
As the thread title suggests , i need some suggestions for an appropriate car for my grand parents .
Requirements :
1) Inter city travel - sometimes(around 5-6 times in a month,with each journey being around 250 km) .
2)Inter-city travel - Around 15-20km per day .
3)Comfortable .
4)Fuel Efficient .
5)Maintenance cost should also be less .
6)Power should be decent (not much required ).
7)Looks -not much required .

Budget around 3.5 Lacs or a bit more (but not in excess ) .
I would be thankful to the team-bhp fraternity if they could suggest me an appropriate car considering the requirements .
Looking forward to your valuable suggestions .
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:53   #2
BHPian

If your grand parents will be chauffeured around then i think you should get a Indica Vista. The rear legroom is very impressive.
Old 22nd March 2010, 21:16   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
If your grand parents will be chauffeured around then i think you should get a Indica Vista. The rear legroom is very impressive.
No actually my grandfather prefers to drive the car himself . So i want that to be considered too . Thanks for your words anyway .
Old 22nd March 2010, 23:18   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest you to wait for the new Wagon-R coming in april before finalising your decision.

Personally i would suggest the tried and tested Hyundai Santro.
Old 22nd March 2010, 23:40   #5
BHPian

If only 2 people will be travelling in the car, I would go for a Beat mostly. It's quite a looker and good features too.
Old 22nd March 2010, 23:44   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford Figo if you can stretch your budget. Low maintainance, easy to drive, comfortable.
If that exceeds your budget, then a Santro or new WagonR.

What car are they currently using?
Open to used cars like an OHC, Baleno, Lancer, 2003 NHC, Accent?
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:21   #7
BHPian

Why isn't anybody recommending the Spark ? I doubt the Beat's extra-funky look will go well with old people. And a Spark LT, which you can get within your price range, will come with all frills like all 4 power windows etc. etc....
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:27   #8
BHPian

I would suggest you to go for Wagon R . A good spaced car,moderate fuel efficiency,No funk looks and the best reason i am suggesting you this is the servicing,spares etc is cheap,reliable and easy to spot everywhere . I dont think so grandparents needs hassle of servicing,fixing things,too much gadgets and stuff .
Spark in my personal opinion i would never suggest cause the speed dials are in the middle , will be a great hassle for them to concentrate ahead and watch the dial in the middle(keeping in mind the old age).
Some maruti product is ideal in my opinion.
Old 23rd March 2010, 02:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

I will recommend the Wagon R:

a. Nice wide opening doors.
b. High Seating position.
c. Easy to drive.
d. Decent fuel economy and service shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:42   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Since its for your grand-parents, 3 things are key:

1. Tall boy. Hence, easy ingress & egress (Figo is out).

2. Good ride quality (WAY superior to that of the WagonR or Santro).

3. Light controls.

The Chevy Beat it is!
Old 23rd March 2010, 20:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Guys his grandparents would be traveling 4-5 times a month, each distance being 250 kms and its going to be a self driven car. I really dont know what fits in that budget but the Beat would be too feeble a car for that. I would feel a little queezy, if my grandparents would travel on the highway in such a small car. I would go for the Indica Vista. That was about new cars.

DSC, would you consider going in for a pre-owned car? For that price you could get some real gems. Not saying go for one, but its always better to go window shopping before you reach a decision.

Last edited by V-16 : 23rd March 2010 at 20:16. Reason: adding text
Old 23rd March 2010, 20:58   #12
BHPian

How about a used Renault Logan? its safer, more spacious, fuel efficient, infact the most fuel efficient, very cheap to service, a used Logan would be a bargain to buy as second hand Logans have high depreciation. And as the looks are not a priority here i guess the Logan is a good choice.
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think there is a definite case for waiting till mid April when the new WagonR is launched.

The ride at rear even in the current WR is not as bad as Santro or even i10. But Spark ride quality at rear is much better and so is Indica's. Howerver with Spark visibility can be an issue for shorter height people, not as commanding view of the road as with WR/Santro/Indica.
Old 23rd March 2010, 23:18   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
The ride at rear even in the current WR is not as bad as Santro or even i10. .
OT: I drove a friend's newly bought WR 2-3 month back, the ride was terrible this car crashes in potholes unlike anything else in the segment. A back to back ride with Punto and WR makes Punto's ride feel like a S-Class. Never felt this bad in a Santro. Even a newly bought Maruti rattles so well.
Old 23rd March 2010, 23:35   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I would suggest you to wait for the new Wagon-R coming in april before finalising your decision.

Personally i would suggest the tried and tested Hyundai Santro.
Thanks buddy , i will make sure they consider that . Just saw the Wagon R facelift .
Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
If only 2 people will be travelling in the car, I would go for a Beat mostly. It's quite a looker and good features too.
@prateekm -Beat was being considered earlier .But the styling is a bit overboard , as in , it kind of shouts that it is made for youngsters . But good car nonetheless . Agree .
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Ford Figo if you can stretch your budget. Low maintainance, easy to drive, comfortable.
If that exceeds your budget, then a Santro or new WagonR.

What car are they currently using?
Open to used cars like an OHC, Baleno, Lancer, 2003 NHC, Accent?
Granddad was using a Maruti 800 till now . Need a replacement for that . We did have a conversation regarding second hand rides but he doubts the reliability or mostly prefers a new buy rather than an old one . If the second hand cars are much reliable then let me know .

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Why isn't anybody recommending the Spark ? I doubt the Beat's extra-funky look will go well with old people. And a Spark LT, which you can get within your price range, will come with all frills like all 4 power windows etc. etc....
Yeah buddy , i will make sure they consider spark amongst the probables .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-e-ok View Post
I would suggest you to go for Wagon R . A good spaced car,moderate fuel efficiency,No funk looks and the best reason i am suggesting you this is the servicing,spares etc is cheap,reliable and easy to spot everywhere . I dont think so grandparents needs hassle of servicing,fixing things,too much gadgets and stuff .
Spark in my personal opinion i would never suggest cause the speed dials are in the middle , will be a great hassle for them to concentrate ahead and watch the dial in the middle(keeping in mind the old age).
Some maruti product is ideal in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
I will recommend the Wagon R:

a. Nice wide opening doors.
b. High Seating position.
c. Easy to drive.
d. Decent fuel economy and service shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
Thanks for the valuable input man . What engine is the Wagon R going to use ? K series is coming in September na ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Since its for your grand-parents, 3 things are key:

1. Tall boy. Hence, easy ingress & egress (Figo is out).

2. Good ride quality (WAY superior to that of the WagonR or Santro).

3. Light controls.

The Chevy Beat it is!
@GTO -Beat was being considered ,but it has Not been ruled out till now . The only thing we found odd about the beat was the styling and the rear window and door (which looks more like "made for youngsters"). Also , how is the view from the driver seat while looking out on the road ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Guys his grandparents would be traveling 4-5 times a month, each distance being 250 kms and its going to be a self driven car. I really dont know what fits in that budget but the Beat would be too feeble a car for that. I would feel a little queezy, if my grandparents would travel on the highway in such a small car. I would go for the Indica Vista. That was about new cars.

DSC, would you consider going in for a pre-owned car? For that price you could get some real gems. Not saying go for one, but its always better to go window shopping before you reach a decision.
@V-16- The long journeys aint that frequent for now Sir . I know Vista is pretty good , also got good space at the rear . Yeah i was considering a pre owned car , but what refrained me from doing so was the reliability and other issues . What cars can i look forward to while "window shopping"? Do second hand diesel cars have good reliability and easy maintenance ?Also the later issues .
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
How about a used Renault Logan? its safer, more spacious, fuel efficient, infact the most fuel efficient, very cheap to service, a used Logan would be a bargain to buy as second hand Logans have high depreciation. And as the looks are not a priority here i guess the Logan is a good choice.
Thanks buddy i shall consider that if he agrees to buying a second hand car .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I think there is a definite case for waiting till mid April when the new WagonR is launched.

The ride at rear even in the current WR is not as bad as Santro or even i10. But Spark ride quality at rear is much better and so is Indica's. Howerver with Spark visibility can be an issue for shorter height people, not as commanding view of the road as with WR/Santro/Indica.
I think i shall wait for the Wagon R and in the mean time try to look at other choices too .

Thank you all for your valuable inputs .

Last edited by DSC.CUSTOMS : 23rd March 2010 at 23:37. Reason: left some part during replying .

Most Viewed