Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2010, 22:21   #1
BHPian

Best rear seat under 6 Lakh

My grandparents indigo (2006) is in the workshop again the second time in 3 months :(. This time the fuel injectors (all four are busted) - how did that happen? anyway, I shall post a separate thread on the details of the analysis of the car troubles.

Their car is almost always driver driven, and as a result, often neglected, causing a minor problem to compound into something major - that could have been easily avoided.

Now, they need a reliable and spacious car, so we're on the lookout for the best car to be driven around in - within a 6 Lakh budget.

Considerations:
1) Trouble free Car - reliable, with a service centre (Gurgaon/South Delhi), who can take on the responsibility of diagnosing/anticipating a potential problem and advising (as the grandparents are not able to provide any inputs, and drivers are ... well just drivers)
2) Rear seat comfort - well mostly related to space, my grandmum particularly loves to sit with her legs folded (even in my dads Honda City, if a tall driver pushes the seat too far back, she feels restricted)

Well really these are it - and really, I would say an Indigo is what suits them best, but their experience has been quite unpleasant vis-a-vis the Tata Brand reliability (OT: we had a Tata Indica, which while not 100% reliable never gave us any major headaches - I guess in their situation, there is no one who actually feels responsible for the car, and proactively monitors any trouble)

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions from you folks - shortlisted in my head - Hyundai i20 Magna, Ford Ikon, Swift (?)

Any ideas on how they can be helped out to make sure their car is diagnosed (was just thinking - can we tie up with some local mechanic, who would visit and maybe test drive the car every 2 weeks, top up the coolant, check tire pressures, check the various oil levels etc- this would greatly help in timely prognosis and help us avoid big trouble)
Old 29th March 2010, 12:47   #2
BHPian

When I read your title, the first thing that came to my mind was the Manza, but then I read your post and I thought otherwise! Anyway, are you open to used cars? I had gone to First Choice a week ago, and they had some great used cars at a tempting price point. You could easily get a 2006-2007 Corolla/City, at a cost much lower then what you have in mind.

If its gotta be new, then i20, ikon, figo, accent, logan are some of the cars you can look at. But based on your criteria, I suppose i20 is the way to go. It's modern, new, fresh, has decent rear leg room, easy to maneuver in the city, reliable, plenty of service stations.
Old 29th March 2010, 12:48   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

When I read the thread title, these two words automatically came up in my head "Tata Manza". The best rear seat this side of the Hyundai Sonata, good space and ride quality too. However, it doesn't seem like your grand parents are too keen on going the Tata way (niggles et al).

If new, you could consider a Ford Ikon. Surprisingly good back seat, though outright room is only so so (read = less than their current steed the Indigo). If you are willing to go used, the best buy will be a Toyota Corolla. Plenty of examples for 6 lakhs (and less). In fact, if you can stretch the budget a wee li'l bit, a pre-owned Altis is realistic. And believe me, a clean Altis will be just as reliable (and more than) any new 6 lakh car.
Old 29th March 2010, 16:26   #4
BHPian

I'll try and sell them the idea of a pre-owned Toyota seems like an excellent option. Otherwise it's between the Ikon and the i20
Old 30th March 2010, 09:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisag View Post
I'll try and sell them the idea of a pre-owned Toyota seems like an excellent option. Otherwise it's between the Ikon and the i20
Pre-owned options are out.... Nani Ji likes the Linea (Personally I think it's a bad idea; especially for them). The i20 is also eliciting a positive reaction from all parties concerned Owning an i10 myself I think a 20 would serve them well, and service is not an issue.

Also, since their car is in the workshop for 5-6 days, We've been sharing my car and their driver.... using this opportunity to put him on the right track and imbibe a sense of belonging with the car in him.... hopefully It'll help
Old 30th March 2010, 12:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

an ikon's back seat might not be suitable for aged parents. while it is low set and reclined, they might find getting up from it hard.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:18   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
an ikon's back seat might not be suitable for aged parents. while it is low set and reclined, they might find getting up from it hard.
Yeah, we travelled in an Ikon for a few years, definitely not the best car to get in and out of either.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:32   #8
BHPian

How about the Logan? I have been using it for quite a while and it's damn comfortable.
Old 30th March 2010, 14:21   #9
BHPian

Does the car need a boot ?

Getz ?
Figo ?
Old 30th March 2010, 14:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

How about pre-owned NHC? It has an excellent rear seat and pretty relibale. Somehow NHCs look very new even now. Paint quality seem to be pretty good and interiors are long lasting.
Old 30th March 2010, 14:39   #11
BHPian

Look for nothing more than Tata Manza
Old 30th March 2010, 17:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

An Accent would do great justice here and also has a lot of space with very comfortable rear seats.

But best bet would be to go in for a used car in this budget, as the driver is primarily going to use it to his liking, why get him to savage something new.

A good Corolla will do or maybe even a second hand Accent / Logan or the stretch Indigo (Grand or something it is called)
Old 31st March 2010, 09:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My grandparents indigo (2006) is in the workshop again the second time in 3 months :(. This time the fuel injectors (all four are busted) - how did that happen? anyway, I shall post a separate thread on the details of the analysis of the car troubles.

Their car is almost always driver driven, and as a result, often neglected, causing a minor problem to compound into something major - that could have been easily avoided.
I wonder if it's the car or the driver that you need to replace...
Old 2nd April 2010, 21:51   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Does the car need a boot ?

Getz ?
Figo ?
No boot required:
Getz is rather dated - is the rear considerably better than the i20?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
How about pre-owned NHC? It has an excellent rear seat and pretty relibale. Somehow NHCs look very new even now. Paint quality seem to be pretty good and interiors are long lasting.
Swapping their car with our NHC for now, lets also see if their indigo does any better with our TLC

Meanwhile we're narrowing down which car they'd like to buy... pre-owned is almost certainly out as they're not comfortable with the idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by grules View Post
Look for nothing more than Tata Manza
I agree, but it would be tough to sell another Tata to them after the hassles thy've faced with this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
But best bet would be to go in for a used car in this budget, as the driver is primarily going to use it to his liking, why get him to savage something new.
Hmmm you make a valid argument there will see if I can sell the idea of a used corolla to the larger group

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I wonder if it's the car or the driver that you need to replace...
It's not a driver, rather it's the multitude of drivers that they've gone through in the last 2 years... the last chap seems fairly ok, been around for 6 months now, lets hope he sticks
Old 11th April 2010, 19:25   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I agree, but it would be tough to sell another Tata to them after the hassles thy've faced with this one...
Well, all you need is to read the review of Manza by GTO. It speaks volumes.

Plus if your main criteria is the rear seat comfort - Manza is the only one. Apparently, its comparable to Merc S class.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ve-review.html

Suggest, whatever car you choose, TD all the options.

All the best!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks