Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:30   #1
BHPian

Does it make sense to buy a used car in Bangalore ?

I came across some inspiring threads about the value of buying an used car and decided to look out for an used car instead of buying a new one. After my analysis it seems to make a great sense in Bombay or Delhi where the used cars have a reasonable price tag.

In Bangalore I find the asking price of most cars ridiculous. For example a 2008 Fiesta Sxi is quoted at 7 Lakhs. There are worse examples .Take into account the higher interest rate for an used car, I guess this will be a costlier deal than buying a brand new car.

Any experience or suggestions in buying used car in Bangalore from experts welcome. I am also thinking it is probably cheaper to buy an used car from Mumbai and change the registration to KA.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:45   #2
Team-BHP Support

Beware, the life time tax is a killer. YOu need to pay 90% of the full life time taxt for a car under 3 years old. Also RTO folks have a convoluted way of calculating so sometimes the estimate is more than the cost of a new car!
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Beware, the life time tax is a killer. YOu need to pay 90% of the full life time taxt for a car under 3 years old. Also RTO folks have a convoluted way of calculating so sometimes the estimate is more than the cost of a new car!
Heard a little birdie say that all this is going to change soon and you will be allowed to drive a car from any state in any state without all this trouble.
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

People here quote such unrealistic prices when they don't have urgency selling their car. They will keep quoting such prices until they realize their car wont be selling unless they come to realistic prices after few months.
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:19   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Heard a little birdie say that all this is going to change soon and you will be allowed to drive a car from any state in any state without all this trouble.
Wow!!! But how soon is this expected?
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:27   #6
BHPian

Hey Suresh,

From what I know, the used cars are not so expensive. May be you might have come across a few like these, but you have a very high chance of bargain. Check out the classified section of T-BHP and I think carwale also gives estimated price for the buyer, so you can go by that rather than getting into hassles of buying car in other state and driving it down here.

Cheers,
Laxminarayan
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post
...In Bangalore I find the asking price of most cars ridiculous. For example a 2008 Fiesta Sxi is quoted at 7 Lakhs........
Used cars are indeed ridiculously priced here. More than once, I've tried to look for a good used car here only to figure out (as you have done) that its better to buy a new car. Good deals are few and far between. A friend of mine picked up an almost new civic for a really good price but he got lucky, I guess.

Quote:
Beware, the life time tax is a killer. YOu need to pay 90% of the full life time taxt for a car under 3 years old...
Some seem to do a pretty good job of evading this by using Kannada number plates for their cars. Wonder what would happen if one of these guys got caught. Lets hope Amitoj's source is right and this silly red tape is done away with.
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Used car prices in Bangalore are unreasonable.

The used car market scene in Bangalore is totally different from that in cities like Mumbai and Delhi.

In Bangalore, it is very difficult to find a used car in good condition and at a reasonable price.

Only Fiats, Fords, Opels sell at low prices for obvious reasons.

The prices quoted for Japanese and Korean cars are such that one would rather buy a new car.

Rohan
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:18   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Also you would end up being the scapegoat of traffic police at every signal who have this tendency to catch hold of non-KA registered vehicles thinking of making some quick moolah if the owner has not yet paid the road tax.
Even if you have paid the road tax it is really very frustrating to stop and show the docs to each and every policeman just to satisfy him.
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:36   #10
BHPian

I totally agree with this. Bangalore is pits when it comes to pricing of second hand cars. Even Carwale prices for Bangalore is much higher than other cities. Even Tru Value, etc are high.

I think there are various reasons for this. Some which I think take priority are:
1) Higher OTR price due to higher tax
2) A lot of people in IT pay anything that a person asks for and hence it sky rocketed after the IT revolution. (No offense to the learned IT crowd here!!) This is what a dealer told me and a very good example was when I sold my old Esteem to a guy who was a software engineer. He paid me more that I thought I will get for it
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:45   #11
Team-BHP Support

Actually, the traffic police are not the ones who have the right to penalise you if you have not paid the tax. They can only check if you are the actual owner. It is the RTO
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
2) A lot of people in IT pay anything that a person asks for and hence it sky rocketed after the IT revolution. (No offense to the learned IT crowd here!!)
None taken as I have heard even the auto guys say the same."Sir one and a half meter charge lagega ..aap to waise bhi IT se ho"
I guess its the general misconception as I have seen plenty of IT guys bargaining like hell when they go out purchasing.
Just one offcase and we have a new perception

Trust me now I feel IT is one of the lowest paying sectors in bangalore with Pharma and banking business of bangalore breaking new grounds.
Sorry for being
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:46   #13
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post
I came across some inspiring threads about the value of buying an used car and decided to look out for an used car instead of buying a new one. After my analysis it seems to make a great sense in Bombay or Delhi where the used cars have a reasonable price tag.

In Bangalore I find the asking price of most cars ridiculous. For example a 2008 Fiesta Sxi is quoted at 7 Lakhs. There are worse examples .Take into account the higher interest rate for an used car, I guess this will be a costlier deal than buying a brand new car.

Any experience or suggestions in buying used car in Bangalore from experts welcome. I am also thinking it is probably cheaper to buy an used car from Mumbai and change the registration to KA.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Seems like i am an odd one out on this. Having bought 3 used cars and helped a few friend buy also, i have cn that tho many quote absurd prices, you do get good deals at times. There is a deal, not sure still valid now, Fiesta SXI 2008 for 5.2 lacs and 20K kms. Thats not a high price by any means, tho not a killer deal too.
One has to look for the deal of choice which esp comes when a guy is leaving abroad and NEEDS to sell it and cant send it back home etc
One has to visit different forums. About 6 months back i saw a Fiesta for 4 lacs, about 2 years old on craigslist.
PM me if you need some help/guidance on it, i have a couple of deals that i know of for you.
Old 3rd May 2010, 15:28   #14
BHPian

Used car prices are too high in Bangalore, when compared to any other part of this country.
I suggest you check the different online classifieds to get a good deal, directly from the seller.

I think its the used car dealers who play havoc here in Bangalore. People here (mostly the IT crowd, though I am one of them) give it away to the dealers for whatever price they quote, as they dont want to spend time and effort to sell the vehicle. The dealers in turn make the maximum out of it.

However, the high road tax in KA also plays a part in this.
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:25   #15
BHPian

Seems like everything is expensive in bangalore - The fuel (highest), Road tax (Highest in the country, looks like half the money is spent on building Hills - Humps), traffic congestion (highest), Car accessories (highest)..huh the list goes on and on. And no wonder the second hand cars are expensive to say the least. Enjoy high price bangaloreans

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks