Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_yk View Post
Seems like everything is expensive in bangalore - The fuel (highest), Road tax (Highest in the country, looks like half the money is spent on building Hills - Humps), traffic congestion (highest), Car accessories (highest)..huh the list goes on and on. And no wonder the second hand cars are expensive to say the least. Enjoy high price bangaloreans

And yet, facilities are nothing to write home either. Absolute fleecing

Leading a life in Bangalore has lost its sheen.
Old 3rd May 2010, 23:40   #17
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your views. Looks like buying a car from some other state and driving it down is on the back burner for now. I am looking for a 2008+ car so that means a lot of road tax and additional hassle.

I checked the carwale.com price, which I think is a reasonable price. I am using that as a guideline to find deals. Till now I have not found deals around that price, the normal quote I get is 1 lakh more than the carwale.com price. Again it looks like many people are not really keen to sell their cars and they quote whatever they feel like. Let me continue my search in this expensive Bangalore. Meanwhile, if you have any more inputs please pass it on.

Btw, I am looking for a Fiesta 2008+ 1.6 zxi or sxi.
Old 4th May 2010, 11:06   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The situation in Hyderabad are no different. People are quoting around 50k above the carwale price for Alto. I was quoted 2.05L for 2005Alto and 2.10L for 2006 Alto.
Old 4th May 2010, 11:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post
Till now I have not found deals around that price, the normal quote I get is 1 lakh more than the carwale.com price. Again it looks like many people are not really keen to sell their cars and they quote whatever they feel like.
Typically the owners start with the price which they think is right and not what the market is ready to pay. I myself expected 4 lakhs for my 2005 Fusion but eventually sold it for 3.4. You must be able to get a Fiesta for a good price.
Old 4th May 2010, 11:49   #20
BHPian

Totatly different here in Chennai, 2005/2006 fiesta sell for price between 3.7-4 lakhs. Fusion + goes for 3 lakhs & less, aint that sweet deal.

I have had my tough time when searching for suzuki cars in 2008 when staying in blore, I have seen ADs like 99 Zen for 1.75 lakhs
Old 4th May 2010, 19:02   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Bangalore new car prices are higher than Mumbai & Delhi, right? Isn't it then logical that used car prices would also be proportionately higher?

Instead of comparing the exact cost of a used car, to a similar example in Mumbai / Delhi, how about using percentages here? That is, I'm sure the % saved (vis a vis the new car price) is the same.

Or is it?
Old 4th May 2010, 20:22   #22
Team-BHP Support

I bought my Vrs from Mumbai. The total cost + tax came to rs 11Lakhs. similar ones were going for 12. 6 months later the market crashed!!! But again, finding a good used straigt RS's was not easy in Bangalore
Old 4th May 2010, 21:34   #23
BHPian

After searching for a used car here in Bangalore i finally decided to get one from kerala. I was looking for a well maintained OHC. Couldnt find many under 1 Lakh Kms. Got a good one for about 50-75k less than what dealers were offering here .
Old 5th May 2010, 06:50   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

bangalore does command a slight premium on used car prices
my surmise is that it is largely because the initial cost of road taxes etc are higher than the rest of india. also the fact that the city is inland and less chance of corrosion damage etc. most used cars that appear to be available in Bangalore seem to have been driven by company executives - low mileage and reason for sale is that the guy has gone up the ladder and hence changed his car.
carwale only offers a fair indication of market value.
local dealers usually quote anything from Rs 50K to Rs 1 lac less than carwale if one is selling and quote anything from Rs 50K to Rs 1 lac MORE than carwale in case one is buying.
a good way is to scan the carwale listings for sale because a large number of individual sellers use this service and one is more likely to find a genuine car in honest/ good condition with lower mileage.
Old 5th May 2010, 08:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Back then I was quoting 4.5 lakhs for my 2006 baleno(36k on the odo) after a price evaluation on Carwale. I was ready to settle at 4.2 for my car if I found the right owner.

I had umpteen used car dealers calling me almost every other day and trying to bargain on the price, some fellas even quoted prices like 3 lakhs and so on. Now I was a little baffled and decided to simply check the price of a used baleno from the same dealers.

Here are some of the deals I found

- 2005 baleno Lxi , 54k on the odo, absolutely stock with the OE skinny tires = 4.4 negotiable
- 2004 baleno , 60K + on the odo, 2nd owner = 4 lakh and non-negotiable.

Strange !! They wanted my car for 3 lakhs and apparently their battered cars were selling at a premium .

My advice is to stay away from dealers and look for individual owners. You could end up with real sweet deals.
Old 5th May 2010, 09:32   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

yes rjstyles - you're right here.
i sold our swift around 3 months ago. the carwale valuation was at 3.3 for a Swift in excellent condition if owned by an individual and if purchased by an individual. It had done about 18K kms and was about 3.5 years old.

I got some offers from some of those highly shady looking dealer type chaps for 2.75 to 3 to which I simply said buzz off.

Then on my request, the Maruti True Value Chap came and evaluated the car and offered me 3.15 spot cash. (I thought this was a first class indicator of the condition of the car and the value placed upon it.) He also told me that they would spend about 5 to 7K on the car, proper service, rub polish etc and then sell it on for about 3.3 to 3.35. Their margins typically are about 5-7-10k for this kind of car.

Next I got three or four individual buyers all of whom quoted 3 to 3.10 - again all of these I simply asked to buzz off.

Finally I met a "first time car owner" a young couple with a little kid, who liked the car and were prepared to pay up immediately - their offer was 3.2, so I let it go to them straightaway.

I guess if I had waited a bit more I may have even got 10 grand more but, to me one important thing is that it is nice to see that ones car goes to a good home and hence I didnt mind.

But yes, you're absolutely right. When buying a used car it is best to buy from a reputed dealer OR an individual and carwale is a pretty good benchmarking/ sales site. avoid these weird bird car dealers of whom a large profusion appears to have sprung up all over the place.

Unless of course you can find the Indian equivalent of "Mike's Motors" a la the Discovery Turbo programme Auto Trader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Back then I was quoting 4.5 lakhs for my 2006 baleno(36k on the odo) after a price evaluation on Carwale. I was ready to settle at 4.2 for my car if I found the right owner.

I had umpteen used car dealers calling me almost every other day and trying to bargain on the price, some fellas even quoted prices like 3 lakhs and so on. Now I was a little baffled and decided to simply check the price of a used baleno from the same dealers.

Here are some of the deals I found

- 2005 baleno Lxi , 54k on the odo, absolutely stock with the OE skinny tires = 4.4 negotiable
- 2004 baleno , 60K + on the odo, 2nd owner = 4 lakh and non-negotiable.

Strange !! They wanted my car for 3 lakhs and apparently their battered cars were selling at a premium .

My advice is to stay away from dealers and look for individual owners. You could end up with real sweet deals.
Old 5th May 2010, 11:30   #27
BHPian

I agree that the used car prices in Bangalore are higher than the corresponding levels in Delhi/Mumbai/ROI.

But if you look at the all the aspects of a car price, you would realise the difference, the first and the foremost is the Road Tax in Karnataka, Just see the table below and you will get an idea by how much are the cars costlier in Bangalore than all other Metros.

Does it make sense to buy a used car in Bangalore ?-car-prices-metros.jpg

Prices : Courtesy Carwale in order to maintain consistency.

Even Alto is about 35K more costlier in Bangalore in comparison to Delhi, Accord is a whopping 3L costlier, you will get a new Alto in just the price difference

This clearly has the major deciding factor in the used car scenario in Bangalore, in addition the other factors mentioned in this thread aka IT folks, etc, also play an important role in deciding the used car prices.

But, based on my experience, there is a lot of scope for negotiations if you good at it. when I was searching for a used car in Bangalore, I was able to bargain upto 50K on lot of cars, although my family considers me a bad bargainer (they have mastered the act),

I got a 2003 Accent for 2.45L including Renewed Comp Insurance/RTO/Dealer Commission after a hard bargain and 2 months of lookout. Yes, it is much costlier than corresponding models in other metros but is a lot cheaper than others in Bangalore/Karnataka but AFAIK, i saved atleast 20~25K in this deal as all other similar models in Bangalore were above 2.6L plus Comp Insurance/RTO/Dealer Commission.

P.S. - The Road Tax in Karnataka has further increased by 1-2%, so expect more costlier cars in coming days once the same comes into effect.
Old 5th May 2010, 12:14   #28
mkh
Senior - BHPian

People also forget a very important fact- in all other metros, distances are much much more than here. Hence a car is expected to have run more, try and get a used car of about 2 years and less than 20K kms in Delhi or even Chennai. It will be very difficult. A normal run in Delhi is about 1500-kms a month and here its not more than 1000kms provided its used within city most of the times. I have seen so many vehicles with low mileage in bangalore when i searched for used cars( and genuine ones)
One should try and access classifieds of a few s/w companies to get good deals and not scoot around dealers who are as in all places- crooks most of the times
Old 5th May 2010, 12:36   #29
BHPian

As rjstyles and shankar.balan have pointed stay away from dealers and look for direct owners instead. The dealers have a margin of say about 10k or 20k or 50k or even more depending on the car. No one will quote you less at the very instant you ask for the price as they try to increase the margin by as much as they can. You need to look at different places or search the whole of bangalore for that matter to get an idea of how much the cars sell for and based on that you can bargain (if you are looking at autoshops). Otherwise after searching all over bangalore you will have a fair idea how much the cars sell for , with that in mind if you contact any owner directly for a deal you will definitely get an asking price which is much lesser than those quoted in those autoshops( in most of the cases). So again bargain with the owner and you will get a good deal for yourself
Old 5th May 2010, 12:38   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

It makes sense only if it is a direct deal with a private seller, and specifically not through any broker/used car dealership.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks