Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 22:47   #1
BHPian

Upgrading the ride - Budget 40 Lacs

Hello Team_BHP followers,

Finally after having the financial stuff out of the way, I've decided to go in for that dream luxury car I'm gonna be driving for atleast quite some while (hope parents are not reading this ! )

I currently drive a Chevrolet Cruze, and it is by far the largest car I've driven or owner.

Now is the time for me to upgrade -> reason _ I got a promotion, I just turned 25 and I'm getting married - so the Cruze goes to my wife and I get a nice car for myself :

Now I'm looking for a diesel sedan (4 seater). That is the only way I can get a decent manageable mileage. But at the same time, I wouldn't want to compromise on the performance either !!

Merc E Class ?
Audi A6 or even the A4 ? Q5 used to be my personal favorite but I hate the fact that it is very overpriced in India.
And finally BMW 5 series ....

If someone could help me with which car to go for I'd really appreciate it. I have an inclination towards to BMW since I plan to drive the vehicle (no chauffeur) and even the Merc E seems quite a good deal since at 40 lacs you can't go wrong !!!

I'm actually stretching from 30 - 40 so going above 40 is against my budget :(
Old 14th May 2010, 23:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

well i presume your budget of 40 lacs would be on-road right? well i dont think you can get the e class or a6 in 40l.

i think your best bet would be the bmw 320d highline. sweet drivers car, all the gadgets, decent seating for 4.

EDIT - butttt heres another option. save many lacs. about 10. and buy the superb 3.6 v6. absolutely brilliant and will put many cars to shame. and the money saved can be spent on petrol. btw the 3.6 is the same engine used by audi in the q7.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 14th May 2010 at 23:03.
Old 14th May 2010, 23:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

25 = BMW.

That's all I've got to say

If you're not worried about fuel costs get the 325. Otherwise, fully loaded 320d.

Cheers!
Old 14th May 2010, 23:36   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

25 = BMW.
You could look at the new F10. I believe it starts a shade below 40L.

If not, then a 320d CE. With the money you save, you could opt for all the fancy BMW Secure packages. Also, the size is not a big upgrade from the Cruze and you will love the drive and the attention.
Old 15th May 2010, 00:58   #5
BHPian

doings some review on my own ->

I do need a sun roof. In fact I want the most loaded car. So I guess I might have to stick to the smaller segments ?
But what about the Landrover Freedom2 ? Or the BMW 325D ?
Better than the E Class base model for sure.

Audi A6 and A4 are also serious thoughts ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetkanwar View Post
Hello Team_BHP followers,

Finally after having the financial stuff out of the way, I've decided to go in for that dream luxury car I'm gonna be driving for atleast quite some while (hope parents are not reading this ! )

I currently drive a Chevrolet Cruze, and it is by far the largest car I've driven or owner.

Now is the time for me to upgrade -> reason _ I got a promotion, I just turned 25 and I'm getting married - so the Cruze goes to my wife and I get a nice car for myself :

Now I'm looking for a diesel sedan (4 seater). That is the only way I can get a decent manageable mileage. But at the same time, I wouldn't want to compromise on the performance either !!

Merc E Class ?
Audi A6 or even the A4 ? Q5 used to be my personal favorite but I hate the fact that it is very overpriced in India.
And finally BMW 5 series ....

If someone could help me with which car to go for I'd really appreciate it. I have an inclination towards to BMW since I plan to drive the vehicle (no chauffeur) and even the Merc E seems quite a good deal since at 40 lacs you can't go wrong !!!

I'm actually stretching from 30 - 40 so going above 40 is against my budget :(
Old 15th May 2010, 13:48   #6
BHPian

thanks for your advice bro, well the budget is definitely on-road, RTO's gonna take a good amount of money from the same

I guess the audi a6 wud come to be around 43 lacs since the exshowroom cost rite now is 37 lacs ....

the mercedes is out since its a car to be driven in, so probably when I'm 40 something, I can get an S class and roll up the window for peace of mind ...

what i want right now is knowing what button does what - on the dashboard, using them while I accelerate and put lives to risk .. lol .. ignore the last part ..

And the Skoda is a brand I totally hate, has the worst ratings in the EU, and since I never appreciate it, and though I'll save money, I'll be better off buying a Honda or a T Fortuner instead .....

But the brands in question here are the BMW, the Landrover and the Audi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
well i presume your budget of 40 lacs would be on-road right? well i dont think you can get the e class or a6 in 40l.

i think your best bet would be the bmw 320d highline. sweet drivers car, all the gadgets, decent seating for 4.

EDIT - butttt heres another option. save many lacs. about 10. and buy the superb 3.6 v6. absolutely brilliant and will put many cars to shame. and the money saved can be spent on petrol. btw the 3.6 is the same engine used by audi in the q7.
Old 22nd May 2010, 16:59   #7
BHPian

Don't get any of the 3's - Car is way too outdated (looks, interiors, features). New 3 will be out within 3 years and you will hate yourself for buying this car then.

The A6/New 5, New E are all going to be 45-50 OTR - Beyond your budget I believe.

The C250CDI comes to mind - new direct injection has upped the performance quite well but again I was not a big fan of the interiors.

I have the A4 2.0 TFSI - its awesome - better equipment loading than the C & 3.The 2,0 TDI is also quite decent, Car is wayyy more comfortable than the 3 and much much better drivability than the C + more spacious than both. Its a great car - can't recommend it enough!

The Freelander2 is the Land Rover which fits in your budget (around 42 OTR - i think). Its about the same size if not smaller than the Q5 & X3 but looks awesome and comes with a capable Diesel 2.2. Not much in terms of Service available for LR in India yet but its definitely worth a look if you want a Baby SUV.

A car you can't go wrong with is the New Nissan Teana - Its an incredible engine, ridiculously comfortable and the looks have improved drastically over the previous iteration. Only problem is its not available in a Diesel and once again service availability since Nissan hasn't expanded its operations as much as it needs to.

Final suggestion - Get the A4! You won't regret it!
Old 22nd May 2010, 21:25   #8
BHPian

as far as road presence goes: A4 > C > 3series
At 25 yrs, do you really want to go in for a Merc which is associated with older corporate types?
Pick an Audi or BMW for sure.
With a strict OTR budget of 40, the A4 & 3-series Highline come to mind. Both are relatively fresh models. I don't suppose the fact that they're gonna change in 3years is gonna you!
Freelander2 looks to be a good option, You'd definitely be part of an exclusive group. Personally, I'd stay away from the Q5, it somehow looks puny on road.
Take a TD of the Audi & beemer, have you pick
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:03   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Audi A6 is available at huge discounts. The petrol engine is a hooligan and handling is good with Quattro. Though its a dated model and not as involving to drive as the BMW.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks