Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2010, 20:05   #1
BHPian

Help needed - i20 vs SX4

Guys...need some help in choosing b/n the SX4 and the i20 (somehow don't like the edges on the City ). I have a Ford Ikon currently but need a new car as I'm now having some issues getting in/out of the car and on longer drives (I'm 6'6")...and primary selection criteria are:

1. Enables easy city driving (have a Fusion that can be used for highway drives) with ease of parking, etc
2. Reasonable mileage...going for petrol coz my usual travel is <20Km / day
3. Peppy image
4. Good height...of course...
5. Features..Electric ORVMs, Integrated audio, ABS, Airbags, etc...
6. Budget of sub 10 Lakhs (as I'm not selling my 1.6 Zxi...it's just too awesome to let go at a price of ~1.5L or so)
7. Boot space isn't that important coz for most part, my wife and I would be the only occupants and can use the rear seat if required...or, alternatively use either of the Fords on those rare occasions..

Took TDs of both today and IMO:

SX4 - response similar to Fusion, great space, huge boot, neat features...humongous tyres give an increased level of comfort...priced at 9L post discount

i20 - awesome looks (exterior & interior with the new blue lights) easier manouverability, lower response, good features for sure...not all that peppy..priced at 7L no discount

I realize that these 2 cars are in different segments...but having done helluva lot of research, narrowed it down to them and am now confused..! Somehow, unable to spend close to a Million bucks on a 'Maruti' (NO OFFENCE to Suzuki San, etc...it's just my feeling) in my mind... PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 23rd May 2010, 12:20   #2
JLN
BHPian

IMHO, go for the i20. The car is very spacious, very well put together and is truly fully loaded (Asta). The only downside is the weak engine - but for your needs (mainly city driving) it will do the job very well. The SX4 IMO is a bit unwieldly for the city.
Old 23rd May 2010, 13:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Try the new i20 6 speed Diesel. Heard it's pretty good.

The petrol 1.2 I feel is very underpowered. Sadly the 1.4 is available only on the AT version if I am not mistaken.
Old 23rd May 2010, 13:07   #4
BHPian

I think a i20 would suit your needs better than the sx4. The 20 is easier to drive in the city especially bumper to bumper traffic. The clutch of the sx takes quite some time to get used to. You'll surely miss the higher cc engine, GC and interior space though.

Cheers!
Old 23rd May 2010, 13:16   #5
BANNED

If height and ingress/egress are the main reason you want a new car other than Ikon, better go for SX4. I20 is low slung compared to SX4, and you may face the same problem as that of Ikon.
Old 23rd May 2010, 13:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Go for SX4 as its more spacious than i20. i20 is low slung car as compared to SX4, so your problem of ingress or egress will not be solved in i20. Even at 6'2" ( less height than you ), my friend had this difficulty of getting in and out in i20 ( currently he has Zen which is again not that good, he is planning to get either Wagon R or Innova ). In SX4 he had no issues of getting in and out. SX4 is more practical than i20 as far as space goes.

Now that you find SX4 response similar to your Fusion, you can use Fusion for city drives and keep SX4 as a highway drive vehicle.

Alternatively you can also consider Xylo which will not cost much and has huge amounts of space.
Old 23rd May 2010, 13:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest i20. Its a better car in city and you'll have enough space inside. Go for the Asta varient which comes with all safety features.
You have mentioned that you dont like the looks of City but still I would recommend to take a second look at it. You wont go wrong with that car.
Old 23rd May 2010, 14:27   #8
BHPian

New car, then it's gotta be i20. If you can go for a second hand car, you have many many choices. To tempt you, you can get a Civic, Corolla or Accord (both AT). You might even get a great SUV like Endy or CR-V (old version).
Old 23rd May 2010, 16:03   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwaka View Post
1. Enables easy city driving (have a Fusion that can be used for highway drives) with ease of parking, etc
6. Budget of sub 10 Lakhs (as I'm not selling my 1.6 Zxi...it's just too awesome to let go at a price of ~1.5L or so)
Why not go for an AT vehicle? That makes much more sense in the city (like Bangalore), and your budget allows the same as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwaka View Post
Guys...need some help in choosing b/n the SX4 and the i20 (somehow don't like the edges on the City ).
Both these cars have AT versions! I'd pick the SX4 AT over the i20 1.4 AT. (MAINLY, because of the i20 ac issue! Otherwise, i20 is a better choice IMO)
Old 23rd May 2010, 16:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Make no mistake, the SX4 is a very accomplished car. I'm no fan of Maruti either but I having used an SX4 several times and even ovr long distances, I can vouch for it.

As for your peculiar problem, don't get swayed by the height of the car / boot and all that. For your size, it comes down to something as simple as which fo them was easier for you to get into / get out of, and which had a more comfortable driving position.

The i20 may be a hatch but it might just have a more comfortable driving position !! So take your call accordingly.
Old 23rd May 2010, 17:45   #11
BHPian

Both are good and proven cars, my views:

SX4:
* For your height, better car. I am over 6 ft and entry-exit and seating position is really good.
* Decent Power and a huge advantage over i20 petrol
* Due to high GC, it is much more practical if you want to use anywhere, but in city there wont be much advantage apart from the high driving position

i20:
* Loaded to the teeth, centre dash with all displays really looks cool
* More nimble in the city due to smaller length
* fit and finish is definitely better, plus the choice of colours is better IMHO

Mileage wont come into the equation with your kind of daily running (< 20kms)

SX4 is a step forward for MSL and I dont think you would be disappointed about spending a million for a Maruti

My advice would be to list your priorities and allocate weightage to them. Rate both the cars accordingly. I also think you can broaden your options to include Jazz etc.

All the best for the decision!
Old 26th May 2010, 14:21   #12
BHPian

Thanks!

Guys..thanks for all the advice...much appreciated!

The SX4 does have a slight height advantage over the i20 but like the latter's overall package...feels more future proof per se

Head says SX4, Heart says i20....as always, the heart shall prevail

Once again, thanks for all the suggestions!

Cheers,
Kartik
Old 13th July 2010, 16:38   #13
BHPian

Sx4 is a clear winner considering all aspects.
To start with, its a sedan, good clearance, suzuki, looks gr8, service options are good...

i20 is a smaller car, and its a pain to maintain at Hyundai aft 5 yrs.

Think about it.
Old 14th July 2010, 18:06   #14
BHPian

[quote=Agarwaka;1899795]Guys...need some help in choosing b/n the SX4 and the i20 (somehow don't like the edges on the City ). I have a Ford Ikon currently but need a new car as I'm now having some issues getting in/out of the car and on longer drives (I'm 6'6")...and primary selection criteria are:

2. Reasonable mileage...going for petrol coz my usual travel is <20Km / day
3. Peppy image
4. Good height...of course...
5. Features..Electric ORVMs, Integrated audio, ABS, Airbags, etc...
7. Boot space isn't that important coz for most part, my wife and I would be the only occupants and can use the rear seat if required...or, alternatively use either of the Fords on those rare occasions..
quote]

In my opinion go for SX4 since most of your criteria gets fulfilled
Old 14th July 2010, 18:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

SX4 should be it. i20 petrol is very much underpowered compared to SX4. SX4 has highest ground clearance than any other car, you can virtually jump any humps without thinking of scrapping. People with height, SX4 is way better than i120.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks