Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 14:14   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNS View Post
It looks like you've understood my dilemma. lol.

Sort of.....can say i was in a ...well...similar ( NOT SAME THOUGH ...) situation till Feb 2010. Couldnt choose between the a4 3.0 tdi and f10 530D...ultimately went with the Audi because of various reasons and situations as iv mentioned in my thread.
Old 24th June 2010, 15:48   #47
BHPian

IMHO a jaguar would be a really good option mainly due to,

1)Relatively new so the exclusivity factor is there,
2) 5 ltr V8 is bound to give you a lot of thrills for your money,
3) Simply fantastic road presence.

The flip side would be,

1) No diesel option as of now,
2) In india, jaguar is not one of the first names which comes to mind when the general public talks about luxury cars.
3)You ll have to stretch your budget a bit for the new model.

Or you could go for the new X6 model which has the core BMW genes of drivinf pleasure and handling.

Last edited by MihirC : 24th June 2010 at 15:57.
Old 24th June 2010, 16:56   #48
BHPian

Suggestions from my side:

Tourage
Volvo S series
Volvo SUV (not sure about the model)
Old 25th June 2010, 14:14   #49
BHPian

did you look at the Volkswagen Phaeton? the features of the car are pretty cool.

check out what Jeremy Clarkson has to say about it.
Old 25th June 2010, 15:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

VW phaeton is really not the way to go. the car, even after 2 face lifts (one currently sold in India and the one just updated in China/EU) is a 7 year old car and for 77 lakhs with just a 3.6 VR-6 with 280 bhp, its not worth the price.

I still would stick with range rover, but would wait for the one with the 4.4 litre V8 diesel with 315 bhp and it is more updated, fun to drive and actually more fuel efficient then the current 3.6 TDV8. This model will come to India by this late fall (Nov-Dec).

The all new cayenne is another fantastic option with the Porsche name tag attached to it. But just make sure that the quality of after sales service is proper.

The CLS too is good, but is cramped at the rear and a new model is coming after an year. But if you like the current design of the CLS, Mercedes is soon planning to "Indianize" the package options and cut the price like they did for the ML and GL class soon.

Last edited by sidindica : 25th June 2010 at 15:23.
Old 25th June 2010, 15:42   #51
BHPian

Have you considered the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo? The 550i seems to fit what you are looking for.
Old 25th June 2010, 15:49   #52
BHPian

If you need a family car the Jaguar XF is a good option.A cousin of mine owns it in Canada.He was all praises for the car.If i were in a similar situation and wanted something sporty then i would have gone for a Porsche 911 Carrera if i could stretch a bit or the Cayman S.Cayenne is not a true blue SUV and IMHO is neither here nor there.If you go for an SUV buy something like a Range Rover /Range Rover Sport etc.

Last edited by freewheelburnin : 25th June 2010 at 15:53.
Old 25th June 2010, 21:43   #53
BHPian

Appears to be a much-flogged issue, but my two bits in any case...

am a believer in having at least one vehicle in a stable that is a 'go-anywhere' vehicle i.e. not restricted by - most importantly - nature of road surfaces if one wishes to travel in any certain direction, and say other conditions like 18-24 inches of water on a road, for example.

you did mention in your opening post that all 4 of you like to drive; i would draw a distinction between loving to drive and also loving to drive and travel... if you and the family swing towards the latter, then i would recommend an SUV - the choice remains yours though i am inclined to suggest the audi q7 4.2 or the range rover as others have. if on the other hand, say your driving is restricted to destinations around bombay like pune, nashik etc. a sedan would suffice as well.

i will draw the parallel to the handicap i feel at times, having sold my bmw f650 dual-purpose motorcycle and replaced it with a road tourer like the Blackbird. Don't get me wrong - i've ridden the Blackbird to Rajasthan and loved every minute on the bike. However, given its inability to handle long stretches of bad road, i would not plan a ride on the blackbird to a far-flung place whose quality of roads i do not know about. with the f650 however, i would ride with the confidence that if any vehicle can make it a certain destination, the f650 certainly can. you may be able to relate to this since i see an enduro motorcycle in your avatar.

not sure if any of the above has helped at all... good luck with the decision.

Ravi
Old 25th June 2010, 23:28   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNS View Post
Hello Team BHP,

1. We are looking to purchase a car within a 90 lkh budget. and there is a lot between the 50 and 90 lkh bracket.
2. We are a family of 4.
3. We love driving, and love our cars even more.
4. Already have an E280 CDI (which we intend on keeping), but don't mind another Merc.
5. Looking for something that is in a nut shell an 'All Rounder'

Awaiting the advice,
Thanks.
First of all it is great to see you are looking for a car in the 90 lkh range and we can find most of the posts more confusing for you

It would be nice if you simply narrate your usage. But Cars in this range can add little extra ego to you but limited freedom. Think of an SUV that can handle any terrain and I feel the LC 200 is the best choice. It is well know for its performance and reliability which no other can claim and has a good highway performance as well.
Old 28th June 2010, 12:11   #55
BHPian

Dear God.!! Thats quite a dilemma. I would totally would be in your place with that kind of budgets. There is just not one perfect car. But considering what cars you already have in your garage, I would say you should either go for an Cayenne or a sports car like an M3 which will give you sheer pleasure. Go for the Cayenne turbo 4 liter, 8 cylinder, 500ps @2250 rmp and 700 nm of torque@4500 with top speed of 275kmph. Nothing comes close to the performance and handling of a Cayenne when it comes to vehicles in this segment. And to add to it, its a Porsche!!!! Besides you have enough sedans in the family and its time to go for a game changer. long distance trips would become a dream in this vehicle. Plus did i mention that this vehicle is a looker and turns heads.

Last edited by subodh : 28th June 2010 at 12:13.
Old 28th June 2010, 13:14   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
Dear God.!! Thats quite a dilemma. I would totally would be in your place with that kind of budgets. There is just not one perfect car. But considering what cars you already have in your garage, I would say you should either go for an Cayenne or a sports car like an M3 which will give you sheer pleasure. Go for the Cayenne turbo 4 liter, 8 cylinder, 500ps @2250 rmp and 700 nm of torque@4500 with top speed of 275kmph. Nothing comes close to the performance and handling of a Cayenne when it comes to vehicles in this segment. And to add to it, its a Porsche!!!! Besides you have enough sedans in the family and its time to go for a game changer. long distance trips would become a dream in this vehicle. Plus did i mention that this vehicle is a looker and turns heads.
and what about the balance 50lacs for the cayenne turbo? lol
Old 28th June 2010, 13:25   #57
BHPian

If you don't need something uber-luxurious, why not consider the Nissan GT-R ?

You won't see too many of them on the road, they are fast, fun to drive, look incredible, should be within your budget, the re-sale value should be excellent, I doubt if any one will sell this car once they buy it! In-fact, along with some of the 911's, it could very well be the best drivers car ever manufactured!

cheers!
imp!
Old 28th June 2010, 14:31   #58
Senior - BHPian

Wait a little while for the Evo X. Its almost here. I know HM and Mitsubishi are very lethargic when it comes to bringing new products but the hopefully it will be launched this year for sure.
Old 29th June 2010, 13:28   #59
BHPian

Checkout the Porsche Panamera. It would cost you a budget stretch for sure. Good to own one of the first Porsche Four Door Saloons though

Apart from all else; certainly its gotta be a Jag!
Old 30th June 2010, 12:14   #60
Senior - BHPian

I don't know, I would still just get the S or the Q7. Maybe that's what everyone does, but then maybe everyone does it for good reason.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks