Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:17   #1
DNS
BHPian

A 90 lkh Budget

Hello Team BHP,

1. We are looking to purchase a car within a 90 lkh budget. and there is a lot between the 50 and 90 lkh bracket.
2. We are a family of 4.
3. We love driving, and love our cars even more.
4. Already have an E280 CDI (which we intend on keeping), but don't mind another Merc.
5. Looking for something that is in a nut shell an 'All Rounder'

Awaiting the advice,
Thanks.
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Trust me if you can blindly get the S350 CDI, It's a perfect balance of everything, and plus since Mercedes-Benz India assembles the car in Pune, you get a huge tax advantage compared to the 7 which is a CBU and if kitted with similar options the On road price has quite a difference.

Ofcourse if you want something new then 7 is the way to go, but S will keep you smiling and happy for years to come and it also has a very good re-sale. I am not aware of how good or bad the re-sale for the 7 is.

There are other cars like the A8 , Phaeton etc. which are sold in pretty few numbers and you might have issues in terms of service / re-sale but then I could be wrong.

S350 CDI has all you need, Comfort, Space, Quality, Features, Reliable dealers, and you could really haggle for atleast 3-4 lacs off depending on the dealer stock.

Regards,
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:38   #3
Team-BHP Support

you havent really mentioned the need for a bigger car than the e class. so within 90 lacs i would not suggest the s class since you guys like driving. its mainly a car to be chauffeured in.

why not look at the cls, it has enough space for 4 people and will be a whole lot more exciting to drive than your e class + it has a more upmarket image.

also there is the jaguar xf, which again is quite rare these days. and the 5l 385hp engine is quite a stonker.

of course if you do need a bigger car then the 730ld it is i guess.
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:44   #4
DNS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Trust me if you can blindly get the S350 CDI, It's a perfect balance of everything
HI S350-E240,

The S350 CDI is the best bet, no doubt. and for all the reasons u have just said. The BMW 7 is just not an option. How ever good a car it is, i just cant stand the way it looks.

The only draw back with the S350 CDI is that it's not really a drivers car. lacks thrill of any kind (but thats what it was made for, and does the best). We don't have drivers now, never have, and never will. (the day we cant drive is the day we hope to pass on to a better place, if u know what i mean. LOL)

I know its easy to say, but 'Any other suggestions'.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th June 2010 at 12:07. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:52   #5
BHPian

Get a Range Rover Sport. You already have a couple of luxury sedans.
The RR is a head turner+ its huge + its luxurious+ you live like the king of the world.
Old 22nd June 2010, 16:43   #6
BHPian

X6 should be a option, a SUV would be the right mix IMO.
Old 22nd June 2010, 17:04   #7
BHPian

How about Jaguars?? Did you consider this?
Old 22nd June 2010, 17:12   #8
BHPian

Thje new XJ should well be within your budget. And would the assembled in India S500 shgould also fit the budget. both these cars will be fun to drive over the S320 CDI.
Old 22nd June 2010, 18:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNS View Post
The S350 CDI is the best bet, no doubt. and for all the reasons u have just said. The BMW 7 is just not an option. How ever good a car it is, i just cant stand the way it looks.

The only draw back with the S350 CDI is that it's not really a drivers car. lacks thrill of any kind (but thats what it was made for, and does the best). We don't have drivers now, never have, and never will. (the day we cant drive is the day we hope to pass on to a better place, if u know what i mean. LOL)

I know its easy to say, but 'Any other suggestions'.

Came as quite a shocker to me when u said u cant stand the 7s looks. Agreed ,Bangle's 7 series was not a gr8 looker with the bangle butt n all but in my eyes the new 7 is extremely beautiful with clean lines. Was also to suggest the 730LD as its NOT a CBU ( the 740li and 750li are) has an extremely potent 3.0D engine so would be lighter on the pocket compared to the petrols. Anyways, my eyes dont matter here as you r the one buying the car in which case, if you are not strictly looking at sedans, y not opt for the Audi Q7 4.2 TDI ???? Agreed Q7s are seen in numbers but YES, 4.2TDIs are not !! Its a dream of an engine with 340PS ,more than 700NM of torque and 0-100 times of 6.5 secs. Space is unlimited, as it can easily seat 4 to 5 people & their luggage. Features are plenty , looks are good as well !.
If its snob value and complete exclusivity you are looking for then yes as someone suggested, the Jaguar XF & XJ would fit the bill. Dont know about its pricing though. You might also want to check out if they are offering a diesel as Jag has some good diesels in its Armour.
Also have to add, do NOT opt for the Audi A8 as of now as its due for replacement next year and the current A8 is a really old design. I dont think you are ready to wait for a year so the NEW A8 is pretty much out of question for you

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th June 2010 at 12:07. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 18:24   #10
DNS
BHPian

Have been to Jag. the rear leg room in the XJ is less than the BMW 5. and we are a tall family.lol. but we were looking at the XJR, which is a strech on the budget.

If we do go for a SUV (chances of that are low) it would be the Q7 4.2TDI hands down. that think has insane power. Was quite an experience, an SUV moving like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
And would the assembled in India S500 shgould also fit the budget.
I dont think the S500 is within the budget. but yeh, that 5.5ltr would be amazing.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th June 2010 at 12:08. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 22nd June 2010, 19:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

If looking at SUVs, then why not a RangeRover sport/ porsche cayanne ?/ Audi Q7 or a Merc GLK ?
With the Rangie, or the porsche, you have more exclusivity than the audi, IMO.
Old 22nd June 2010, 20:24   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Have been to Jag. the rear leg room in the XJ is less than the BMW 5. and we are a tall family.lol. but we were looking at the XJR, which is a strech on the budget.

If we do go for a SUV (chances of that are low) it would be the Q7 4.2TDI hands down. that think has insane power. Was quite an experience, an SUV moving like that.
you mean XF my friend. the XJ is the newest release which is the s class and 7 series rival. i doubt that or the s500 would be in your budget.

but like platzda suggested, the q7 4.2tdi would be the best allrounder BY FAR. stunning performance, looks, and enough of space for anything.
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

just my 2 cents here...as u mentioned if you r going to be driving around yourself most of the time and you thoroughly enjoy driving...frankly i do not think the S is the car for you..be it 350 or 500. besides which you already own a Benz. True you dont mind buying a second one but i suppose you can further explore your choices and ponder.
Sedans,you have a wide choice but seriously if somehow, you fall for an SUV make sure its the 4.2 TDI Q7. i own an Audi, and have test driven the 4.2 before. KILLER ! ..is a mild term for it ! Will be loved by one and all

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th June 2010 at 12:08. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

I donot know much about the higher segments, But, I have a business colleague owing a AUDI Q7. I liked it. Have a look at it?
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Range Rover is what I would have gone for if I was at your place.

Most Viewed