Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 19:41   #1
BHPian

Replace the Qualis...or refurbish it? UPDATE: Replaced with Innova.

Dear fellow Teambhpians, it has been a pleasure all this while reading and experiencing automotive knowledge through such un-biased reviews and comments in this forum. I am in a dilemma now, as to replacing or refurbishing my agieing Qualis. The details are as follows:

Current MUV : Toyota Qualis RS
Model Year: 2004
Color: Green / Beige

We are a Japanese cars family and this is primarily because they are maintenance free and sophisticated (most of them). Albeit, the sophistication levels are no where near the Germans (they are getting there!). We own a 2010 Toyota Landcruiser, 2007 Lexus ES350 and a 2007 Toyota Camry back in Dubai and its been pure bliss. Coming back to the problem at hand, I do not find the Innova an apple to apple replacement for the Qualis. Both Dada and I are against the whole shape of the vehicle though we understand that it is a very useful MUV (no offence to Innova owners!). My Qualis has run 1.40 lakh kilometers and is in trim condition. It is an RS (top model) and is quite recognised in my native as prestigious and top end. So all I ask you friends, is whether I stick to refurbishing my Qualis, the interiors I have enquired with Koyas, Coimbatore, the paint will have to be redone at some places due to scratches, the audio system has to be replaced too since I prefer DVD screen and so on. Or should I just go ahead and sell her (I am being offered 6.5lakhs for her) and get another vehicle. Point is I don't know if another vehicle can fill in her shoes in matters relating to maintenance, brand value and so on. Qualis owners will agree I belive. So kindly suggest if I have to sell her and if so which vehicle would be suitable for my family (comprising 5 + kido).

Thanks all.
Car-crazyinlgy
Champion
Old 2nd July 2010, 01:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
once you specify the budget that you are looking at, you can get suggestions from the forum.

6.5 lakhs is a very good price for a 2004 model Qualis RS and if I were you, I would take the price and move on to a new vehicle.
Old 2nd July 2010, 01:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

@Champion - Welcome aboard, appreciate to post an intro about yourself on the appropriate section.

If I were you, I would simply restore the Qualis & I'm sure it will not cost much as there wouldn't be any need for any major parts replacement. I'm talking this with respect to another pure Qualis (especially RS) lover. The green Qualis RS is the one I love to keep gazing all day!!!
Old 2nd July 2010, 02:03   #4
BHPian

If u are looking at a replacement for the Qualis the Safari,Scorp and the Innova all fit the bill.
If u are being offered 6.5 lacs for your 2004 model pristine Qualis i would suggest you to close the deal and move on to a newer vehicle.
It already has 1.4 lakh kms on the odo and maintaining it from now on can be an expensive affair.Instead of spending on refurbishing and major maintenance problems in due course of time (being diesel) spend a coupla lakhs more and get a new vehicle and can stay with peace of mind for another 5 years atleast.
I suggested the Safari,Scorp and Innova keeping in mind your 6 long years of tryst with the Qualis and that u would not be willing to move to a sedan now.
Anyways u need it for 5+kiddo.
Once u decide to move to a newer vehicle then the forum can suggest you a prefect replacement for your Qualis based on your exact needs.

Although i too like the Green Qualis RS very much specially it's angular looks which is a complete contrast to the Innova,there comes a point in life when one has to learn to let go off how much ever u love.Also keeping in mind the good price that u are getting for it,back of the envelope calculations suggest me u move on to a newer vehicle.

STOP following me.I don't know where i am going.
Old 2nd July 2010, 07:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Champ, one question : Is there a need to change ? Or is it just the minor refreshing (interiors) and the price that is being offered that is making you ask ?

I myself find the Qualis smarter than the Innova. I had TD'ed it soon after it was launched, and keep wondering what would be if I had had taken one then.

May be an emotional thing, but I'd say keep the Qualis. Unless there are problems coming up, that Qualis should be good for another 1.4L km. If you still wanted to, is there anything in the market that can take it's place ?
Old 2nd July 2010, 07:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi Champion, welcome to Team BHP !

Since your Qualis has already logged 1.4 lakhs on the odo, you could go in for a replacement, considering the good sum of 6.5 lakhs being offered.

You have ruled out the Innova already, since you are a fan of angular / sharp features on your vehicles. In this case, the Scorpio would be a good choice, since you have only 5 people and a kiddo to accomodate. Xylo is also a VFM choice, but the looks are subjective. All the best !
Old 2nd July 2010, 08:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

If there is no need to change, keep the Qualis! 1.4 lacs kilometres is nothing for that rock solid motor, with proper fluid & filter changes and maintenance schedule it will do another 1.4lacs and more before it will need major attention. Rupees 6.5lacs is not too much for your vehicle, a well maintained Qualis is worth that much in the used car market.

If you are indeed looking for a replacement, then the only vehicle which will give you an ownership experience similar to your Qualis would be the Innova, but you don't like its design.
Old 2nd July 2010, 08:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey champ first of all whats stopping you from retaining the Qualis and is there a real need for a new vehicle at home ?
At 6.4 the price is simply sweet to be let gone.However if you really don't find the need for a new vehicle retain the qualis and get it done up.
Old 2nd July 2010, 08:59   #9
BANNED

To begin with 1.4 lac kms are probably around half its engine life. Also, when you run the same amount of kms in it, say over the next 5 years, you will still get all the spares you need to get the engine rebuilt if required.
So the odo is not the question here.

Coming to interiors and paint, they can be rectified easily and the vehicle can be made to look like new with a much smaller amount of expenditure than buying a new vehicle.

Further, while there are so many vehicles that will fit your bill, very few of them will have the quality feel of the qualis which may not satisfy you. Also, since you are still a fan of the vehicle, I would recommend, keep it, restore it and enjoy it
Old 3rd July 2010, 10:32   #10
BHPian

Reason for sale thought...

Hi friends,

Thank you n.devdath, rjstyles69, Sankar, condor, bharatbits, aargee and Buffetfan. Your feedbacks have been quite good (to retain) to hear as a Qualis fan and quite practical too when it comes to replacing the Qualis.

The reason I wish to either retain or refurbish the Qualis is due to some auto myths that I am uncertain of. Firstly, I have heard from mechanics that a diesel engine is just good for 4 years/100000kms and that it starts giving trouble after that in the form of engine parts replacement. Kindly clarify on this. Secondly, after having owned the Qualis for 6 years now, our family is kind of like wary of the car and wants a change. Only thing is I don't want regret any decision that I might make hereon. I know the Qualis is a superb vehicle.

Now Friends, if I stick to refurbishing her (like most members have suggested) how much would you say is that advisable amount that I can spend on her? I have estimated a lakh since the seats alone would be costing me 45k (as qouted by Koyas for Leather seats, converted to 2+1 seating from my previous captain seats), the paint I estimate would be around 15k and the rest I could spend for audio system. Is this a near correct assessment and where in Tamil Nadu can I get the paint and audio systems done? Kindly help since I am not very familiar with places like Chennai.

Car-crazyingly
Champion
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:51   #11
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Champion, I would suggest that you retain the Qualis and refurbish it. Am sure that the car can still do another 1 lakh kms without any problems. Although the price that you are getting for it is too tempting to sell it off and get a good 2nd hand Innova.

We have a 2000 Oct Qualis FS-B5 and it has run just around 70-80K kms and is still as good as brand new. No problems in it whatsoever and the main reason for us not replacing it. Its a very good, low maintenance people mover. If you have the budget, try and keep her and go for a 2nd hand Innova / Scorpio.
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:32   #12
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion v12, but as for another 2nd hand Innova/Scorpio, I am not sure they will fit the bill. I already own a Swift and an Omni. All that I require is an MUV now. Btw, I am a great fan of your work on the Cafe Racer v12. Just brilliant!

Champion
Old 4th July 2010, 11:57   #13
BHPian

Anybody home???

Dear TBhpians,

I could do with some help here regarding my Qualis. I would need this in urgent because, my dad's in India at the moment and he's seen the new Ford Endeavour and just loves it. I am not a big fan of the American brand, since I have a Chevrolet Lumina in Dubai and it is one gas guzzling machine (albiet mean and powerful). So what say? And its a whopping 17 lakhs too as I read from a post in the forums.

I am all confused.

Car-crazingly
Champion
Old 4th July 2010, 23:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
Firstly, I have heard from mechanics that a diesel engine is just good for 4 years/100000kms and that it starts giving trouble after that in the form of engine parts replacement.
First few things that came to my mind were, its Qualis, its Toyota, its Japanese engineering. Does the mechanic know about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
Now Friends, if I stick to refurbishing her (like most members have suggested) how much would you say is that advisable amount that I can spend on her?
Well, the estimate should be done based on several factors. Two basic question that needs to be answered are...
1. What is the present state of the car?
2. What are the things that you like to see in the rebuilt car.

The estimate lies in the answers of 1 & 2. When I start off with a rebuild, I would first check my engine (exhaust, intake, fuel pump, coils, suspension tyres, electricals), basically all the technical aspects to first priority. Only if the car is in a very good running condition all other things can be done right? Afterall what's the point in having a car that has a 100 grands worth seats when it doesn't move at all? So get the present state of car, then decide an estimate for fixing the existing issues, then you can estimate the price for the rest.
Old 5th July 2010, 00:58   #15
BHPian

The mechanic who said that the Qualis engine would give out at 100K kms hasn't seen modern diesels, let alone a Toyota. I've seen Sumos go 200K (though not as gracefully). If reliability is the sole reason you're changing the car, then do not worry.

The Qualis has quite the reputation as far as reliability is concerned, but really, the newer cars are much better equipped. Also, parts availability is already a problem, especially plastics. Original parts are hard to come by. Some parts are being marked up to thrice the market rate. Since this model has been discontinued all over the world, parts are likely to become more scarce in the future. I'm speaking from the experience of helping a friend refurbish his old Qualis Myst a couple years back. Situation might be better in Chennai. I think painting would cost a bit more if you change colors. Color change in my 800 was almost 18K because I went for 2K metallic paint.

I think that even if you refurbish the car, you'll never quite be as satisfied as you will be with a brand new vehicle, especially since it has been with you all these years. Newer cars like the Innova/Scorpio are much better to drive and ride in. Most importantly, they are also a lot safer. Toyota Qualis aka Kijang is essentially a 1977 design and has its limitations.

However, if you are really uncertain, I suggest that you retain the Qualis till you get used to the new car. Our neighbour exchanged his 18K km run old model Zen for a new DZire, and says that it was a mistake, because of how harder the new car is to park in the city! We had an 800 for 12 years before upgrading to an Indigo last month, and we haven't sold the 800. We're planning on keeping it for quick city runs and such or at least till Dad gets comfortable with the new car. If you have the space, this would be the best solution.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks