Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2010, 23:39   #1

Upgrade options from Accent CRDi to ------?

Friends,
I wish to upgrade from my Accent CRDi Viva (60000 km, 4 yrs old). I enjoy the torque and over taking ability of my Accent, but lacks space, refinement and also feature/security. High speed stability is poor and feels unsecure. Moreover the model is outdated and will not fetch any good price in the used car market if I keep it beyond 60k mileage. She is still peppy and fun to drive!

For the new car:
  • I decided my price range to be in 9 lac - 10 lac
  • My average monthly travel = 1250 km. Daily commute to office is just 30 km, but I do go occasional highway trips
  • I enjoy driving and dont let any one else drive my car
  • I like electronic gadgets, features and kit stuff
  • I wish reasonable rear seat comfort and leg room ( Honda City)
  • Though I like power & pick up, I rate safety & comfort more (more like a family car)
  • I dont mind spending a little more in the beginning, but would like to keep my running cost low (purely psychological)
  • This time I would like to keep my car for a longer term than the current one

Cares short listed
  • Linea - for its looks, luxury feel, value for money, features and fuel efficient diesel.
  • ANHC - for its status, proven model and refinement
  • Vento - for its badge value, practicality, features, german engineering and F.E
My heart says, go for Linea. It is indeed a great car with a solid build sans interior plastic quality. But I hear horrible stories on Fiat A.S.S and part availability. Honda city is surely overpriced and again my running cost is gonna be higher than diesel. But I liked its refinement, gear box, and rear seat comfort. Vento I dont know yet.
(Onroad price for Linea Emotion Pak is 9.2 and AHNC SMT is 9.4)

I did try Verna Transform - But I didnt like the new grill and also the interior features. i20 was much better). Fiesta looks to be good, but a very common face and also rear leg rooms seems to be less.

Is it worthwhile to wait for a few more months for Vento and probably Linea 1.6? But how long I need to wait?

Any suggestions & advice are most welcome!
Old 24th July 2010, 00:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

After driving the original CRDi rocket that reached the mass, do you want to go Petrol - considering your low per month run?

Linea is built like a tank, but does not have a peppy engine (both petrol and diesel) to match its frame. ANHC, like you said is petrol only option, which is premium priced. Vento is not here all that much yet, so we don't know

Have a look a look at the Optra Magnum TDCi - I know it is a ageing model et all, but it is a good package. Also, consider a pre-owned Civic.

I know this is not what you want to hear - if space is your priority, Indigo Manza has oodles of it! That is one area where its difficult to beat the Tata package for its price point!
Old 24th July 2010, 01:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

From what you liked in the Accent and your wishlist for the new car, the City fits best from the choices you mentioned. Why not a Ford Fiesta Diesel ?
Old 24th July 2010, 02:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Have a look a look at the Optra Magnum TDCi - I know it is a ageing model et all, but it is a good package.
^^ +1 to the above suggestion.

Optra is a drivers delight and the engine from Detroit Diesel is a gem and it pulls like a locomotive. The steering is direct and the suspension independent on each wheel, automatic air con, disc brakes up front, twin air bags, very sorted ride and handling with a very comfortable rear seat and a decent boot it should be a natural upgrade from the Accent what with the pricing right in your intended budget and GM's all inclusive service packages and extended warranties make it attractive indeed.

Looking at your monthly running though do you really need a diesel? Why not a petrol like the Cedia sports. Comes with all of the above except the all inclusive packages but nice discounts up front and a smile on your lips as you zip around.

Last edited by khoj : 24th July 2010 at 02:56.
Old 24th July 2010, 07:26   #5
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Chevrolet Optra Magnum: The Magnum is already an ageing model and sreelalts wishes to keep his new car for more than 4 years. In that case the Magnum won't even fetch a couple of lakhs during the resale.

Fiat Linea: The Linea is not at all peppy but good enough for city driving, with good space and comfort, looks to die for and an array of luxury features. I'm not sure of Tata's A.S.S in Kochi, but the Linea Emo Pk makes a great buy.

Honda City: Reliable, efficient and comfortable. The City has everything perfect for a petrol car minus its pricing. Its far from being a VFM sedan, but when you sell the car after few years, the City will definitely fetch a better value.

VW Vento: Looks handsome, great interior quality and hopefully spacious at the rear. Strong build quality and an image booster. The Vento indeed looks promising. Given the Polo's quality levels and build quality, I would have certainly blessed myself with a Vento, had I been in your place.

I suggest you to wait till September for the Vento's launch and then decide depending upon your needs.
Old 24th July 2010, 08:19   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreelalts View Post
I wish to upgrade from my Accent CRDi Viva
...i20 was much better...
You mention wanting to upgrade, but are you averse to buying a hatchback? Since you liked the i20, and it offers as much (and more) fun on the road as the Accent Viva CRDi, how about going for that?

As to the fun factor of driving the Accent CRDi, well, the torque is addictive, and the petrol cars you've shortlisted will never provide as much entertainment while driving! The i20 matches that driving experience. As an ex-owner of a Viva CRDi, I know!

Edit: Stretch your budget and try the Cruze. IMO the Optra Magnum was not a good package, with the engine shoe-horned into the bay without much thought, leading to the unprotected sump hanging down dangerously low to the ground and being easily prone to damage. There are reports on this forum too about such damage having occurred more than once.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 24th July 2010 at 08:26.
Old 24th July 2010, 08:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

A TBHPian from Hyderabad was in a similar situation:
  • Pete'd Accent CRDi
  • 3.5 Years Old
  • 55k done
After looking at various options available and making multiple permutation Combinations went for the Cruze.

If Cruze is out of your budget, then the other option is the Optra Magnum TCDi
Old 24th July 2010, 08:35   #8

Quote:
After driving the original CRDi rocket that reached the mass, do you want to go Petrol - considering your low per month run?
Thanks for the response! Petrol lacks the torque of diesels @ low rpm. Since I am already a diesel guy (first vehicle was an Indica), I am inclined to diesel. Though monthly usage is less, I do go for occasional long drives. Low cost of diesel and mileage will keep me happy for those drives even though in reality both may work out same cost due to the less initial investment for petrol. But what matter is the running cost at that moment which will encourage me to go for the drives - purely psychological

Quote:
Have a look a look at the Optra Magnum TDCi - I know it is a ageing model et all, but it is a good package. Also, consider a pre-owned Civic.
Very valid suggestion. Thanks You! I already booked the test drive for Optra. The negative side is that the onroad price seems to 11 lac +. In that case, I need to back out.

Quote:
I know this is not what you want to hear - if space is your priority, Indigo Manza has oodles of it! That is one area where its difficult to beat the Tata package for its price point!
You know what I did try Manza. Space at rear was like that of a D segment car or even more. I owned an Indica earlier and i dont want to go back to another Tata vehicle. Like you said, it is great value for money and salute Tatas for that. But they are not yet there in the luxury segment with the interior fit and finish. The stamping marks on the door panel pillars, for example, were clearly visible when you open out the door. Similarly is the interior fit and finish. But they have gone a long way in the refinement and engine department.
Old 24th July 2010, 12:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
but are you averse to buying a hatchback? Since you liked the i20, and it offers as much (and more) fun on the road as the Accent Viva CRDi,
Thanks SS for the suggestions. Personally, I don't mind to be in a hatchback like i20. But family will not support me in that. Typical Indian mindset on status associated with the third box, though it is so stupid. Still I took a test drive. Power and torque were good also had some nice goodies like steering audio controls and so on. But, one thing which I noticed was that the rear seat cushion was very hard and also felt a bumpy ride at rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Stretch your budget and try the Cruze. IMO the Optra Magnum was not a good package, with the engine shoe-horned into the bay without much thought, leading to the unprotected sump
Good info. It will be very stupid to do that in Indian conditions. Dont they have an engine guard underneath the engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I suggest you to wait till September for the Vento's launch and then decide depending upon your needs.
Yes, I too think to wait for Vento to take a look and evaluate

Just now I called up GM guys and booked a test drive for Optra Magnum. The onroad cost is 11 lac for the model with ABS, Airbag & Auto AC. Above my budget
Now my short list is modified to
  • Linea Emotion Pack
  • Vento
  • Optra Magnum (provided there are more discounts next month due to Onam in Kerala)
As I can see from the posts, all of you are suggesting for upgraded engine and driving pleasure. That is understandable considering the fact that I am using a Accent CRDi. But as a matter of fact, I am blown away by the looks and features of linea, to be honest. Fiat A.S.S can be tackled as I have a strong contact in TATA service management and has atleast escalation point. Mentally I am prepared to sacrifice a bit of power and torque for the sake of looks and features which Linea offers. But, is 90 BHP for 1300 kg kerb weight is so bad? I can see that Altis is also offering only 88 bhp. Fiesta diesel is also 68 bhp. In that perspective, I feel Linea is adequately powered, though the chasis is capable of handling more? In the test drive, it is true that I missed the fun part, but it was performing decently enough for family use
  • I heard that 1.3 MJT is a good small engine and will there be any reliability, loss of power issue in long run?
  • Also any news on Fiats plan for 1.6? Will it help?
  • Will Linea become outdated in next 4-5 years ?
  • Will onroad price of Vento cross 10 lac ?

I still feel my final choice is going to between Linea and Vento; as Optra/Cruz seems to be 1 - 3 lakh above my budget and also Optra being an ageing model

Thank you all once more for sparing some time to help me!
Old 24th July 2010, 12:56   #10
BHPian

As per as Tata Manza engine is concerned they have not gone anywhere in refinement , however yes they have switched to FIAT engines.
Try and have a look at PUNTO if you can , its a good car with pretty responsice engine.
Old 26th July 2010, 20:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry.brant View Post
As per as Tata Manza engine is concerned they have not gone anywhere in refinement , however yes they have switched to FIAT engines.
Try and have a look at PUNTO if you can , its a good car with pretty responsice engine.
I agree when you compare with the competition. I was comparing with Indica which I owned about 7 years back. In that essence, i could see a drastic improvement.

Meanwhile, I test drove Optra Magnum. It was a pretty responsive engine and fun to drive. Very good refinement and NVH. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the engine does not have a good protection. Only a fibre component is kept in place of the engine guard underneath. The rear seat leg room was just too good
However I am bit reluctant on this for 3 reasons
1. It is an ageing model. Same experience I have gone through with my Accent. Soon after I bought it, Hyundai pulled it out of market. Ofcourse, I got some decent discounts during the purchase.
2. Price of the variant with ABS and Airbag is going to be 11 lac +
3. Even after in the market for quite some time, I could not spot many Optra's on the road - atleast in kerala

So, I am seriously pursuing with my options of Linea and Vento.

How is VW A.S.S going to be? How will be the maintenance cost compared to competition? Can any one throw some light to this? I read many threads in this forum about some bad stories from VW in the customer care department. I can understand that it is partly due to the inability of VW to meet with the booking orders for Polo, but still...

I got an invitation from Toyota for checking out Altis Diesel. The sales person is claiming that they cannot give it for test ride yet because of the fuel availability He claims that Altis requires Euro III compliant diesel and it is not yet available in the market except in Reliance pumps. And this will be available in normal pumps only after a couple of months. I was just wondering, if this Toyota engine is so sensitive to the type of diesel, then how will it cope with the most adulterated fuel which we get in India ?
Old 26th July 2010, 21:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My heart says, go for Linea. It is indeed a great car with a solid build sans interior plastic quality. But I hear horrible stories on Fiat A.S.S and part availability.
If you are not urgent, then may be you should wait for this

Fiat to launch Linea T-Jet by by September beginning | Indian Autos blog

Old 26th July 2010, 22:51   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Personally, I don't mind to be in a hatchback like i20. But family will not support me in that. Typical Indian mindset on status associated with the third box
LOL
Quote:
Yes, I too think to wait for Vento to take a look and evaluate

...all of you are suggesting for upgraded engine and driving pleasure. That is understandable considering the fact that I am using a Accent CRDi.
Vento is worth the wait, so's the Linea with a bigger diesel. Etios sedan is another.
Quote:
But as a matter of fact, I am blown away by the looks and features of linea, to be honest. Fiat A.S.S can be tackled as I have a strong contact in TATA service management and has atleast escalation point.
Always helps to know someone.

Quote:
Mentally I am prepared to sacrifice a bit of power and torque for the sake of looks and features which Linea offers. But, is 90 BHP for 1300 kg kerb weight is so bad? I can see that Altis is also offering only 88 bhp. Fiesta diesel is also 68 bhp. In that perspective, I feel Linea is adequately powered, though the chasis is capable of handling more? In the test drive, it is true that I missed the fun part, but it was performing decently enough for family use.
I heard that 1.3 MJT is a good small engine and will there be any reliability, loss of power issue in long run?
It isn't bad at all. You'll just miss the fun your Accent provided. The engine is known to be very durable.

Quote:
How is VW A.S.S going to be? How will be the maintenance cost compared to competition? Can any one throw some light to this?
Not exactly Hyundai or Maruti standards. And it WILL be expensive, no question of that.
Quote:
I got an invitation from Toyota for checking out Altis Diesel. The sales person is claiming that they cannot give it for test ride yet because of the fuel availability He claims that Altis requires Euro III compliant diesel and it is not yet available in the market except in Reliance pumps. And this will be available in normal pumps only after a couple of months. I was just wondering, if this Toyota engine is so sensitive to the type of diesel, then how will it cope with the most adulterated fuel which we get in India ?
Utter rubbish. Euro-III compliant diesel is what's being sold everywhere across the country now. Toyota engines are legendary in their being able to digest any fuel and keep going. The Innova copes with adulterated fuel happily, so did the Qualis - I don't think it'll be any different for the 1.4 D-4-D.

But then, isn't the Altis Diesel a little above your budget?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 26th July 2010 at 22:52.
Old 26th July 2010, 23:04   #14
BHPian

My family's Accent CRDi has crossed 1,22,000 kms and still going strong. Getting a steady 15kmpl in the city with 100% AC usage. Beautiful car, underrated 3 pot engine. AC still good, etc.

We are looking for a new car and test drove the Linea recently (I myself was looking at the palio, indica vista, and punto). The Linea is built well, extremely easy to drive in traffic. I can't stress this enough. The engine runs smoothly even @ 25kmph in 5th gear!!! Climate control on top model is beautiful in the heat, and all this comes below 10 lac on road, diesel. Also remember the tank like build which other people have mentioned here. For city driving it's got all the power you need. Very torquey 1.3L engine too. Rear AC vent will be a boon to your passengers at the back.
Old 26th July 2010, 23:08   #15
BHPian

Stretch your budget and get yourself a Toyota Corolla Altis DIESEL. Diesel Altis should be far more safer than any of the initial choices you listed and would hold its value for a longer time. That would be a segment upgrade too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks