Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 07:39   #1
h.k
BHPian

Toyota Innova or Toyota Altis Diesel

Confused Confused I am planning to sell my verna and get a upgrade and thats when i realised there is not much choice in diesel cars in between 10 and 12 laks on road range.

The innova is what all my friends recommend and they have high regards about this car and say this is the car to buy,

however i feels its a van like structure is not to my liking but i dont mind buying it if this is best choice and don't want to loose any of my hard earned money and i have no clue if i need to go for a altis diesel because its just Rs 30,000 extra that you pay for a altis diesel. and you fall in a completely different league.

i have a combination of city and highway running. i read the reviews about the altis and its says there is very low power on it, will it be a regret later and wished i should have gone for the innova.

I have also heard the same engine d4d will be powering the etios in future so will it bring the re sale value of the altis down.

toyota being a toyota will fetch a great value what so ever.

image of innova as a taxi car is very high.

altis d4d is new to market, its not proved yet.

so should i buy the innova g4 or the altis diesel.
Old 2nd October 2010, 23:14   #2
BHPian

Go ahead and buy the Innova. You won't regret it. Even I was skeptical about it initially, but I don't regret my decision at all. Also just in case, you do buy it and are not happy, you will get a fairly good resale value for diesel Innovas.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by Amartya : 2nd October 2010 at 23:48. Reason: SMS language used
Old 2nd October 2010, 23:34   #3
Team-BHP Support

Tell us some more things.

What is your budget?
What is your usage like?
Who is going to drive?
What do you want from your car? Good gadgets, or solid build, or highway stability? or backseat comfort etc.

Then we can help you decide further. The Altis and the Innova are for totally separate purposes.
Old 3rd October 2010, 00:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Even though they are complete opposites, I would suggest the Innova. The new Corolla Altis Diesel is a very underwhelming product.
Old 3rd October 2010, 00:03   #5
BHPian

really surprised by your question here, though both are very good in their own leagues.

First I think you need to know clearly what you want in your vehicle, instead of looking at vehicles within your budget.

Do you want a 7 seater or a 5 seater?
Do you usually travel alone?
Do you want the car to add to your "personality" - is that important to you?
Do you want the option of having a really big boot (by folding the rear seats of Innova)?
What feel of drive/handling do you like?
Have you test driven both?
What is your reason for upgrade?

regarding power of Altis, don't go by what people tell you. You drive it and see. Altis is a very practical car. You might not get the sudden surge of power (it is more about power distribution), but it is surely not under powered, but the feel won't be anything close to what you get from Verna!
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Unless you mention your useage pattern and requirements, its really difficult to suggest. Your apprehension about the Altis Diesel is uncalled for. Yes the car might be underpowered, but its from a Toyota stable and with a scaled down Innova engine. So there, reliability question is out.And plonking the same engine in Etios will no way affect the brand value of the Altis.
Old 3rd October 2010, 22:37   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm not surprised at the cross-shopping between the Innova & the Corolla. In fact, even before we got a Corolla diesel, there was a fair amount of overlap between the two. Link to thread - Corolla? Nope Innova.

If you drive a lot on the highway, I'd recommend the Innova simply because of the body on frame construction. Thus, it can take a lot more abuse and is also very safe in accidents. The Innova engine has lesser turbo-lag than the Altis. Further, in terms of utility, the Innova offers you a lot more.

On the other hand, if you desire a sedan only, check the Chevy Cruze out. It will leave you pleasantly surprised.
Old 4th October 2010, 09:04   #8
BHPian

There is very little to beat the Innova. I had driven both 2 1/2 years back (of course the petrol Corolla and not the Altis) and have never regretted getting the Innova after that.

Supremely comfortable and spacious, surprisingly nifty for its size around town and a reliable engine with very usable torque spread. Only gripes are that it feels a tad underpowered on highways, bouncy suspension or chassis (dont know which is the main cause) over bigger undulations, slightly weak brakes under full load.

Yes the image of taxi is there but that of a very good taxi
Old 4th October 2010, 09:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.k View Post
toyota being a toyota will fetch a great value what so ever.

image of innova as a taxi car is very high.

altis d4d is new to market, its not proved yet.

so should i buy the innova g4 or the altis diesel.
If you are more concerned about resale value then go for Innova.

As far as Image goes, Both Innova and altis are pretty ordinary.In international markets, both are poor man's cars.You have budget of 12lac, why don't you push it to a 13+ and buy cruze. You will never regret the power and image you get. Give it a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky View Post
Yes the image of taxi is there but that of a very good taxi
What is the big difference ??? Infact good looking taxis makes innova owners worry about image all the more.It is Purely my opinion. No offence
Old 4th October 2010, 10:48   #10
BANNED

The Innova is equally famous as a personal vehicle as well. Please do not go by the taxi image.

If I were you, I d blindly go for the Innova between the two as it is bigger, more fun to drive, equally comfortable if not more, and, has been a huge success.

Most Viewed