Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2010, 12:47   #1

Trying to make a decision - got too many options =(

Hello fellow BHPians!

I want to gift my mom a ride, but I'm not sure what to get here. I was hoping your views/comments would help me make a decision. After going through the vehicles available in the market I have narrowed down to the following:
  1. Skoda Fabia Elegance 1.2 TDI
  2. VW Polo 1.2L Highline Petrol
  3. Fiat Punto Emotion Pack 1.3 90HP
My primary concern would be safety. Mom had been in a major accident back in winter 2007 and went through 8 surgeries. Took her over a year to recover (she is still not 100%). So whatever I get her, safety is my number one concern. Also since she has screws and metal in her wrists and hands, the handling of the vehicle should be good.

I know the existing vehicles within a household affect a decision being made when it comes to buying a new vehicle, so for the record the following are in the garage:
  1. 1996 Maruti Suzuki Zen LX
  2. 2005 Honda City ZX Gxi
  3. 2010 Mahindra Scorpio VLX AT 2WD
Cheers!
Old 18th October 2010, 14:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

IMO you should go for an Automatic transmission. This would ease your mom's driving in the city atleast.

You have two options A star & i10. Both are Easy to drive in the city, good after sales.

My choice - i10.
Old 18th October 2010, 14:30   #3
Team-BHP Support

+1 since your saying she has metal etc in her wrists, she might not be too comfortable changing gears. Get her an automatic i.e. the i10 a/t. Otherwise you can check out the i20 too since it has the lightest steering and gearbox. There is also an i20 a/t but that is almost 9l I think.
Old 18th October 2010, 14:44   #4
BHPian

Yes an automatic transmission is the best option.
Or i guess its high time you get a good DRIVER so that she takes the back seat comfortably on any of your cars or a new one for that matter.
I10 automatic sounds good if its replacing the ZEN
ANHC AT if replacing OHC
Old 18th October 2010, 14:59   #5
BHPian

as safety is your primary concern i would suggest the i20 for its brilliant safety features and an automatic option is an added advantage. it also has a long list of standard goodies that are not offered in many other cars in its vicinity.
it has a really light steering requiring minimal effort.

honda jazz is also a good option but does not offer an automatic option.
from the choices you have narrowed down to i feel you would want to get her a premium hatchback.

i would not suggest an i10 or an a-star as these a not in the same league. but none the less a brilliant choice in their particular segments.
Old 18th October 2010, 22:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

It all depends how much, and what type of driving she would do. If it is for pleasure then an AT, with a light steering and light brake/accelerator is best bet. How big depends on both your budget and her preference, as well as the safety features you want in the vehicle. If she is to drive to work, and has a tension filled professional life, a driver is a better option.

From purely safety point of view I would rate the Scorpio AT the best choice amongst your fleet.
Old 19th October 2010, 21:48   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Get her an i20 Automatic; there isn't an AT quite like it in the market. The 1.4 has enough juice, and the overall quality / equipment will keep her happy. Plus, its got feather-light controls which women, in particular, appreciate for city driving.

I also agree with Vivaster in the chauffeur-driven suggestion. If so, you don't even need a new car. Driver + NHC works.

BTW, wish your Mum a speedy recovery from all of us.
Old 24th October 2010, 19:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you can afford a chauffer, then just go for it.

I would go for a Fabia 1.2 loaded..solid, German compact with good safety and good backseat. Honda cars have low seating and not suitable for a older person recovering from surgery.
Old 24th October 2010, 19:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Get her an i20 Automatic; there isn't an AT quite like it in the market. The 1.4 has enough juice, and the overall quality / equipment will keep her happy. Plus, its got feather-light controls which women, in particular, appreciate for city driving.

I also agree with Vivaster in the chauffeur-driven suggestion. If so, you don't even need a new car. Driver + NHC works.

BTW, wish your Mum a speedy recovery from all of us.
Exactly my opinion as well.

With the i20 gamma 1.4 AT, you are assured of,

1. Ease of driving
2. 5 STAR Rated safety
3. The best *** apart from maruti
5. Low maintainence costs
6. Trouble free ownership

For additional safety and convenience, might I suggest the i20 1.2 Asta (O) with a driver. The Side and Curtain airbags offer additional safety minus the convenience of the automatic transmission which should be taken care of by the addition of the driver.
Old 25th October 2010, 07:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalinJunkie View Post
3. The best *** apart from maruti
I guess it should have been Hyundai..
Old 26th October 2010, 19:25   #11
BHPian

i20 AT with ABS+Airbags
or
Punto with ABS+Airbags+driver

Most Viewed