Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2010, 12:04   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I've always insisted that, unless you need the space and / or AWD of an SUV, please choose a sedan. A C segment sedan like the ANHC / Vento / T-Jet will be:

- Immensely more satisfying to drive
- Better handling, braking and high speed stability
- Easier to drive within the city
- Way more fuel efficient
- Generally cheaper to own over a longer period

I understand you also plan to tour to Ladakh....But how many times? At the maximum, 5 times in 5 years? Just hire an SUV / MUV for that trip. That way, you'll have a better time the other 355 days of the year.
GTO, sorry for posting this slightly OT question:

Given your views, which I agree to, to a great extent, do you feel that the Yeti today, is one car which "Fits All" provided one can afford it?
Old 17th November 2010, 13:20   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Given your views, which I agree to, to a great extent, do you feel that the Yeti today, is one car which "Fits All" provided one can afford it?
Good point, N.devdath. The crossovers - CRV / Outlander / Yeti - certainly drive like sedans and offer some of the advantages of SUVs as well. Namely, higher ground clearance & AWD. Even the X-Trail has outstanding road manners & handling.
Old 6th December 2010, 14:40   #33
BHPian

Having bought the ANHC i would strongly say its a great car.Like he said handling fuel efficiency etc is top notch. if u already own an suv or are used to driving an suv then the sedan is not for you plain and simple. i really could never feel comfortable in my City after using the sierra.the ANHC is perfect for a sunday drive. chaotic city traffic bustling with autos bikes SUV any day time and place.and of course don't forget the scrapping the anhc on speed breakers every time you least expect it.and last of all Zero maintenance expenses on the ANHC since 1 year almost now.
Old 22nd April 2011, 23:58   #34
BHPian

confused, vento diesel or anhc petrol?

Hi everybody,
Car shopping season again for me, but this time am too much confused between vento diesel and Honda city petrol(top model). Am not considering, linea, sx4, swift desire, optra etc..

My criteria for selection:

1) Maintenance cost should be low. I dont want a car which eats up a major share of monthly budget on servicing. Which one is better and offer cheaper servicing option? VW or Honda?

2)Comfort. My dad will be using this car and i want him to have a car which will be easy for him to drive and manage in traffic. He is a fan of hatchbacks, but still, i have impressed him to shift to a sedan and he agreed, so i want it to be easy to handle and manage in tight traffic, tight parking etc..

3)Which one will be reliable for use up to 3-5 yrs? I know both are, but which one will b cheap on longer run? Forget about diesel and petrol difference here, i need to know in respect to other aspects like maintenance and regular servicing expenses, need to change parts, cost of parts etc..

4)If i select honda city, will it be a foolishness in long term as people are now more attracted towards diesel?

5)I don't need automatic car.

6)Does any one suggest me vento petrol? I guess city will be better option then. so what if i compare with vento diesel and honda city?

i know am confusing others also with this thread!! But please help me this time too

PS: moderators, i know a lot of similar type of thread exist, but nothing had solution to my specific problems and i didn't want to bump in to similar threads which are comparing other cars too. So please let the thread stay .

Thank you all.
Old 23rd April 2011, 00:22   #35
Senior - BHPian

Re: confused, vento diesel or anhc petrol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by althaaf View Post

1) Maintenance cost should be low. Which one is better and offer cheaper servicing option? VW or Honda?
Maintenance costs will be low for Honda. VW Service and spare parts will be expensive than Honda. I am very happy with Honda's sales and service departments.
Quote:
2)Comfort. My dad will be using this car and i want him to have a car which will be easy for him to drive and manage in traffic. so i want it to be easy to handle and manage in tight traffic, tight parking etc..
Both cars have similar dimensions. Rear legroom is more in ANHC so as the headroom. Honda city is compact than Vento.
Quote:
3)Which one will be reliable for use up to 3-5 yrs? i need to know in respect to other aspects like maintenance and regular servicing expenses, need to change parts, cost of parts etc..
It will be Honda without any doubt. VW long term ownership costs are unknown.
Quote:
4)If i select honda city, will it be a foolishness in long term as people are now more attracted towards diesel?
I didn't get this part. You mean all those buying petrol cars are fools ? A petrol car is refined, high revving, less polluting to environment, has the fun to drive feel which no diesel can match.

I think you should go and test drive both cars and you will know the difference itself and it will be easier for you to decide. Good luck for your purchase.

Last edited by bluevolt : 23rd April 2011 at 00:37.
Old 23rd April 2011, 00:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi everybody,

2)Comfort. My dad will be using this car and i want him to have a car which will be easy for him to drive and manage in traffic. He is a fan of hatchbacks, but still, i have impressed him to shift to a sedan and he agreed, so i want it to be easy to handle and manage in tight traffic, tight parking etc..
Why you are "impressing" your dad to shift to Sedans? Sedans are always more difficult to drive and manage in bumper to bumper traffic. Add to that parking woes.
My advice is to ask HIM to test drive and decide. And include hatchbacks in list if he wishes.

As far as Vento and City are concerned, I would just say that City has remained overpriced since long because of a long absence of any competitor. I expect a major price correction or addition of a slew of new features to City in coming months thanks to Vento rising sales. So if you are thinking of going for City it can be worthwhile to wait a little.

No comments on Vento since I have not driven it. And yes, A.S.S remains unproven.
Old 23rd April 2011, 07:34   #37
dot
Senior - BHPian

It took me sometime to understand the requirement. I mean, why are we comparing Vento Diesel with City (petrol). The choosing parameters are usually different. Then noticed this:

Quote:
6)Does any one suggest me vento petrol? I guess city will be better option then. so what if i compare with vento diesel and honda city?
I guess you are looking at performance numbers and comparing one diesel car with another petrol car. If performance is a key criteria, better to go for petrol since you can rev and rip around a petrol car with more satisfaction.

However the car is supposed to be for dad. Is he going to revv too?
Old 23rd April 2011, 10:41   #38
Team-BHP Support

You mentioned something about 3-5 years; is that how long you plan to keep the car?

When it comes to spare cost and maintenance, Honda would be definitely lower than VW (a German brand). Also, Honda being properly established, the A.S.S. is decent too; VW would have a max. of 2 dealers in most cities.

Since you don't care about fuel prices; diesel will have more maintenance costs than petrol. Hence, no problem is going after petrol.

You should have your dad take a TD of both the ANHC and Vento; from the perspective of comfort. If he finds it same/almost the same, you could go with ANHC, else vento petrol.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 11:20   #39
BHPian

Maintenance
Here no car has a clear cut edge. VW has not been long enough for a fair assessment of its after sales costs. One would save a lot of money with the Vento diesel as fuel costs would be lower; But with the assurance of the Honda brand and slightly better resale value of the ANHC petrol both the cars may have more or less the same cost of "ownership"

Comfort
Even Stevens here also!
Here I would suggest that let the person concerned take a test drive of both the cars back to back and you'll get a solution.

Reliability
Here the Honda has a clear cut edge. VW being a new kid on the block (as far as India is concerned) the ANHC is much better in terms of reliability.

Your worries about petrol cars not finding favour with buyers in future (3-5 years) are unfounded.

Conclusion

IMHO keeping in mind the overall facts and circumstances, the Honda would suit your dad better.If the choice would have been for a car for yourself the Vento would have had the edge.
Old 23rd April 2011, 11:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

Please analyse the requirement. Is it primarily a city car or for highway. Will it be loaded with passengers and require boot space or be for your dad to drive around alone. Or do you want it for status.

If driven alone in a city a sedan is an overkill. Try a hatch. I would suggest a Polo instead of Vento.

I am 60 and have been driving the Esteem for 11 years. I switched to a hatch - Alto K10, as it is a hoot to drive alone/with wife. Parking is a breeze and maneuverability excellent for marketing trips.

Of the two you have shortlisted though City is a VFM and an all round performer, VW is no slouch. With diesel Polo you get a perfect vehicle for pottering around in the city and easier to park.
Old 23rd April 2011, 13:00   #41
BHPian

@althaaf: This is going to be a hot thread debating the hot C segment
Anyway, I know you must have read other similar threads but still I would like you to check following

This comes from http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2072803

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post

Almost similar views were expressed by my auto enthusiast friend back then in Aug-Sept2010, but the problem was it posted by me (an ANHC owner) during ANHC or Vento fight was in full swing

This friend of mine was about to buy ANHC in July2010, considering that he was not in hurry (already had Swift and Old Gen Corolla) I suggested him to wait for as Vento was about to launch.

After the Vento Launch he was quite excited about the pricing and reviews of VW offers from the TBHP reviews. He was really thankful to me on my suggestion to wait for vento.

Finally some days ago he saw Vento in flesh & blood along with the TD.
Immediately after leaving the showroom he was in no confusion to say No to Vento.I was surprised how he changed the polarity so fast inspite being pumped up for Vento couple of days ago.Now I was really curious to know what prompted this decision after reading so many posts about Vento.

Summary is as below (Does this sound similar to the mass Indians thought process?? & not from the Guru's at TBHP):

1) Its as POLO with boot!!! Doesn't give a feel of 10 lac car. Front view is 100% Polo. Honda does offer the 10L pay image value.

2) Dash and plastics as too bland for his taste. He prefers and likes Black+Beige as in ANHC VMT.

3) Not as roomy & plushy as ANHC.

4) Backseat ride was not as comfortable as ANHC (his parents complained).

5) Not too crazy about diesel, instead would prefer proven reliability & after sales and service, plus 4 year Honda warranty pack was big plus.

6) Not interested in saving 50K on Vento when fishing 10L from his pocket. (Plus he got free insurance + 25K Corporate disc. on ANHC).

7) Running cost as compared to diesel doesn't matter as its a slow drip to pocket.

8) VW service ?? Plus spare parts rates are expensive.

9) Good resale value for Honda Cars.

Are the above introspective to prospective Vento buyers??

Now please don't flame me because I own ANHC, don't think I am biased. Please remember I was the one who asked him to hold on before buying ANHC outright.

Bottom line is, we pay for the product and then it better be worth it, its CONSUMERISM.

Finally the friend I referred below went for ANHC-VMT and is very happy crunching miles in it (13K in 5 months)

I would also like to point you similar discussion recently, though its about Honda & Fiat but still it deals with similar requirements

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...jet-civic.html

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 23rd April 2011 at 13:16.
Old 23rd April 2011, 15:40   #42
BHPian

Re: ANHC vs OPTRA vs SCORPIO vs SAFARI vs VENTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

I didn't get this part. You mean all those buying petrol cars are fools ?
No offense on anybody, its just my stupid views Thanks for making me rethink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Why you are "impressing" your dad to shift to Sedans? Sedans are always more difficult to drive and manage in bumper to bumper traffic. Add to that parking woes.
My advice is to ask HIM to test drive and decide. And include hatchbacks in list if he wishes.
Am not IMPRESSING him, its just that he is more comfortable with hatchback and is worried about sedan for daily use. He want the car easily maneuverable. He doest mind having sedan, its just about size and maneuverability. i guess i failed to express the correct meaning in my original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
It took me sometime to understand the requirement. I mean, why are we comparing Vento Diesel with City (petrol). The choosing parameters are usually different. Then noticed this:

I guess you are looking at performance numbers and comparing one diesel car with another petrol car. If performance is a key criteria, better to go for petrol since you can rev and rip around a petrol car with more satisfaction.

However the car is supposed to be for dad. Is he going to revv too?
No, its not about performance, its about reliability and maintenance. In kerala ANHC VMT cost around 10.20 lak and vento highline diesel at 10.39 lak. We dont want to increase our budget than this and there is no other option at this budget. These are the 2 best models by respective manufacturer. Base models of both cars are simply useless, hence the comparison ended between a petrol and diesel car!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
You mentioned something about 3-5 years; is that how long you plan to keep the car?

When it comes to spare cost and maintenance, Honda would be definitely lower than VW (a German brand). Also, Honda being properly established, the A.S.S. is decent too; VW would have a max. of 2 dealers in most cities.

Since you don't care about fuel prices; diesel will have more maintenance costs than petrol. Hence, no problem is going after petrol.

You should have your dad take a TD of both the ANHC and Vento; from the perspective of comfort. If he finds it same/almost the same, you could go with ANHC, else vento petrol.
Yea he took TD of both cars and is comfortable with both and gave me the authority to make the final selection! He put me in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
Maintenance
Here no car has a clear cut edge. VW has not been long enough for a fair assessment of its after sales costs. One would save a lot of money with the Vento diesel as fuel costs would be lower; But with the assurance of the Honda brand and slightly better resale value of the ANHC petrol both the cars may have more or less the same cost of "ownership"

Comfort
Even Stevens here also!
Here I would suggest that let the person concerned take a test drive of both the cars back to back and you'll get a solution.

Reliability
Here the Honda has a clear cut edge. VW being a new kid on the block (as far as India is concerned) the ANHC is much better in terms of reliability.

Your worries about petrol cars not finding favour with buyers in future (3-5 years) are unfounded.

Conclusion

IMHO keeping in mind the overall facts and circumstances, the Honda would suit your dad better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
If the choice would have been for a car for yourself the Vento would have had the edge.
Can you explain this a little more? why is it god for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Please analyse the requirement. Is it primarily a city car or for highway. Will it be loaded with passengers and require boot space or be for your dad to drive around alone. Or do you want it for status.
it will b a mix of city and normal road + highway. Basically not too much in heavy traffic, but yes occasional b2b traffic too. Hatchback is out of the list as lots of time we find it useless for our long journeys and all. its just a final stage of confusion between vento and city!!
if spending 10 lak on a car anybody will look for brand status too. But we already have a top model vw jetta, so this one is not for just status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If driven alone in a city a sedan is an overkill. Try a hatch. I would suggest a Polo instead of Vento.

Of the two you have shortlisted though City is a VFM and an all round performer, VW is no slouch. With diesel Polo you get a perfect vehicle for pottering around in the city and easier to park.
Hatchback is out of our list as there are times when it wont suit us completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
@althaaf: This is going to be a hot thread debating the hot C segment
Anyway, I know you must have read other similar threads but still I would like you to check following

This comes from http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2072803

I would also like to point you similar discussion recently, though its about Honda & Fiat but still it deals with similar requirements

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...jet-civic.html
Yes i had gone thru all these threads atleast 1000 times and it all added to my confusion!

After all your valuable inputs, we are more inclined towards honda city. We will finalize it on monday now.
Old 23rd April 2011, 19:06   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Can you explain this a little more? why is it good for me?
After all your valuable inputs, we are more inclined towards honda city. We will finalize it on monday now.
I said so because the ANHC is an established segment leader. Vento is new;It is no doubt churning out good numbers but all said and done is a tad more riskier investment vis-a-vis the ANHC. Being young you can take that risk.

Moreover the diesel is more fun to drive and hence more suited to you.
Old 23rd April 2011, 19:15   #44
BHPian

I am 60 yrs young and you can tell your Dad he will enjoy riding the Honda City both as a driver and passenger.

I have first hand experience of a big bang accident and the City is well designed to handle that too.

Fuel efficiency is terrific both on highways and the city roads.

The iVtec engine is proven and smooth.

Raaja ki gaadi hai !
Old 23rd April 2011, 19:51   #45
Team-BHP Support

How urgently do you need the car? Is the Vento readily available or is there a long waiting period a la other VW cars?

You should take into account this too.

Most Viewed