Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2011, 23:44   #76
BHPian

Re: ANHC vs OPTRA vs SCORPIO vs SAFARI vs VENTO

I think you should go for a Safari or a Scorpio. Since you would be retaining the swift, you might really not need a sedan. Yes, there are advantages a sedan has over a hatch but are the advantages worth shelling out 10L rupees? Maybe a hatch owner with an SUV/MPV will make sense since you can use it when the roads are torn apart by the rains, in your part of the country.

However, most people generally agree that a Tata product doesnt age gracefully. however if you are someone that knows to take care of the car, I am the safari can give you 10 very good years of ownership, contrary to popular belief. I have seen some really well maintained 4-5 year old examples.

Optra Magnum is probably not a good choice for you since you really dont intend to push the limits of that car and there is somehow no point considering this car over the verna, being that the latter has the better service backup and mileage and gizmos etc. If I had to choose a sedan, I would buy an optra in the blink of an eye since my right leg is kinda heavy.

I own a Scorpio myself and have a couple of hatches so take the above opinion (of buying a suv/mpv) with the possibility that I, like any other human being, tries to make my choices sound like the most prudent one
ak916 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 04:18   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
+1. Your post was unreadable and i had to copy/paste it and separate the questions before i could understand your requirements. I have put down the questions (numbered them) and answers in a more readable format for the benefit of others in the forum.
Thanks MAS mate! It is efforts like this which make this forum special.

@Rai, am adding some comments, with YOUR text in bold below and then following it with further thoughts below. Hope you will find them useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichoudhury View Post
@Poitive

1. Annual Mileage - About 12000 Km

Therefore total approx use of car before sale = 1.2L kms. Most cars should not have an issue with that. However, 10 years is not a short time.

2. Usage - 70% City 30% highways

30% highways = 12,000 x 30% = 3600kms
At an average speed (after all deductions) on typical Non-GQ highways, of about 50kmph, it should mean about 3600/50 = 72 hours. Say if on a typical day you are on the wheel for 1 hour, in one sense, it is about two to two and a half months equivalent of driving! Not less, I'd say.

3. Nature of traffic - It is not kind of bumper to bumper traffic. Roads are reasonably good.
Lucky guy!

4. Managing a car with some niggles, if it is good on other fronts?
Yes - but this is only for the Safari
You do seem to love the idea of a Safari

5. Do you drive hard and need a car which handles well. Especially around corners? Ans - No

6. Do you often drive fast? Can you compromise a bit on that?
Ans-I do not drive fast at all but that does not mean that I do not love powerful cars
All the cars you have shortlisted, seem to be powerful enough, so that should not be a worry.

7. How important is a smooth engine to you? Ans-Fairly important
Not had experience with the new Safaris. Please make your checks to see if it is good enough.

8. How important is the car cabin being spacious to you? Ans-Not that important

9. Are you open to managing the odd time when you may have to run a bit for the parts? Which city is the car going to be in? Ans-No time to run around. City would be Bhubaneshwar
If looking for a trouble-free reliable cars, you should be looking at Japanese cars. Not one in your shortlist.

10. How important is Fuel Efficiency to you? Ans-Fairly important
Again, am not sure, but the Safari may not really cut it there. Verna and Vento should be good. Magnum moderate.

11. How important is the cost of maintenance to you? Ans-Important as it would be my second car as I would retain my Swift D
Vento is suspect. We don't know the long term costs of this one. Also, Skoda being from the same company rasies doubts.

12. How important is the resale value to you? Ans-Not really important but I would not like to face situations like Matiz / Ceilo owners did

Magnum becomes a doubtful choice, given your 10 years. I have 5-7 in mind but bought it, as it suits my needs very well.
Given your 10 years of use, resale value, proven and acclaimed reliability, ample highway usage the one that does come to mind is the Innova. It may not be as much fun to drive, but should be a very practical choice. It may not be as Fuel Efficient as Vento and Verna. Mohit may be able to tell you more about it. BTW, you should look around the forum. A new Innova is to be launched. It should work better for your resale value too.

Tata Safari doesn’t seem to be suspect as a choice, unless you love the vehicle. But come on! You can’t even use it everyday as you said. What is the point of spending as much and not even get any joy from it during the week. May as well buy something else. SUV’s with their higher GC are almost never as much fun to drive, unless you get a thrill from being towering over the smaller cars and bulling them around. This one does get “respect” on the highways to an extent though. Also, consider the safety point I had talked about. People behind you can’t see what lies ahead of you and consequently you may have a slightly higher chance of an accident. You say the roads aren’t too bad, so why an SUV? Also, if you get into an accident with such a heavy vehicle, you may cause a lot of damage to the other person. IIRC I read that SUVs bumper height is such that if it hits a pedestrian, the chances of fatality are much higher than sedans.

Vento is a good choice, if you are OK with the cabin. I had serious issues with it (a large part to do with my body structure and 6'), but there are many many happy users. The A$$ costs being relatively unknown becomes a bit of an issue. The engine is a bit rough/noisy in comparison to say the Magnum and Verna. Probably even a bit more than the Innova (am not sure). Some like it. A lot of people go for this for the VW badge. If the badge does things for you, it may be a good choice. Other reasons to go for this are for how it is for spirited driving. Given you seem to usually be a sedate driver, it makes limited sense, unless the others don't really work for you.

Fluidic Verna is a very good city vehicle if you are to use the front two seats. It seems to be the easiest vehicle to drive of the lot. But over say 80kmph, it made me rather nervous. Didn’t feel composed and the steering was without any feedback. Too game like. If you usually don’t drive above 80 and find the rear bench acceptably good, go for it. It is new too. The A$$ network is good too. Hyundai vehicles are pretty reliable too. But if you drive faster than that, it may not feel as safe, which is a priority for you.

Optra Magnum has been around for about 4-5 years nearly in it’s current avatar. About 8-10 in the older Optra avatar. Given you intend keeping it for 10 years, you may get poor resale value. But hey, after 10 years, most would be bad. I could go on and on about this car. Is late now and I’d like to catch some sleep, so would suggest you spend some time on 3 threads, in case you are considering this seriously. (these threads also have various TD reports)
  • My ownership thread (link in my signature)
  • The Choosing thread (link in the ownership thread)
  • Driven! thread (link again in the ownership thread)
To add to that, from the research I did, was told that spare parts should not be an issue. At most, when it is really old, they may take a few days to arrange it, as they do for the Opel Vectra, which hardly sold and was discontinued many many years back (5 or more?). Was reconfirmed after my purchase in a talk with a senior GM fellow I happened to talk to. It is an absolutely wonderful car in terms of space and how it drives, but the dash design already looks old and you intend keeping it for 10 years. This is a major point of concern in your case. I had 5-7years in mind and have gone ahead.

See if you like the drive enough, to offset those negatives. Also, there is a LOT of talk about this car based on it's petrol sibling, how expensive it used to be to maintain once upon a time, etc. They made changes to the exhaust system during the BS4 changes and the new one hardly has any turbolag, if you are used to diesel engines. A lot of people comment on it, without really even having TD the "new" car!
(note: I could not help myself from adding as much, even when I was so sleepy. LOL. This car does it to me )

Do let us know what you think.

Last edited by Poitive : 2nd September 2011 at 04:31. Reason: note under Vento about my body structure etc.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 08:36   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@Poitive

1. Annual Mileage - About 12000 Km

2. Usage - 70% City 30% highways

3. Nature of traffic - It is not kind of bumper to bumper traffic. Roads are reasonably good.

4. Managing a car with some niggles, if it is good on other fronts?
Yes - but this is only for the Safari

5. Do you drive hard and need a car which handles well. Especially around corners? Ans - No

6. Do you often drive fast? Can you compromise a bit on that?
Ans-I do not drive fast at all but that does not mean that I do not love powerful cars

7. How important is a smooth engine to you? Ans-Fairly important

8. How important is the car cabin being spacious to you? Ans-Not that important

9. Are you open to managing the odd time when you may have to run a bit for the parts? Which city is the car going to be in? Ans-No time to run around. City would be Bhubaneshwar

10. How important is Fuel Efficiency to you? Ans-Fairly important

11. How important is the cost of maintenance to you? Ans-Important as it would be my second car as I would retain my Swift D

12. How important is the resale value to you? Ans-Not really important but I would not like to face situations like Matiz / Ceilo owners did
To keep it short, & considering you'll be driving mostly within the city & on decent roads, the new Verna should be your top pick. The best choice (in sedans) that satisfies almost all of your criteria. As for the general concern about its handling issues (at high speeds), do a TD & decide on your own. Considering you won't be driving fast (at all), then this issue won't apply to you most of the time.

1000km per month is enough to warrant a diesel car, but do think again on the petrol-diesel front considering you are also keeping another diesel car with you.

But do provide clarity on the doubt I have - your heart is set on the Safari. Why not use your Swift for work. Use the Safari for the weekends. Of course, you'll have to overlook the niggles aspect. But then what's more important than fulfilling your heart's desire
And I have driven around the forest reserves of Orissa - the Safari would be at home for any such outdoor trips. And the car is safe. Have a friend with a Safari who got into an accident a year back, where his Safari went into a double rollover at 100+ speeds. Thankfully he came out with minor bruises. As for parking & manoeuvring, is Bhubaneswar that crowded & hard to drive around? IMO, you'll get used to it.

Would suggest you to put up your doubts on the Tata Safari thread out here. They should help clarify on your stumbling blocks!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 2nd September 2011 at 08:52.
Old 2nd September 2011, 09:12   #79
Senior - BHPian

Well, considering that you want to keep your Swift, I think Safari/Merlin should be a very good choice. Your highway running too is considerably high at 4000km per year. And for the highways, the Safari is definitely one of the best choices in India.

Bhubaneswar, with its wide and mostly good quality roads, is not exactly a place where its difficult to drive something like the Safari. And most importantly, you seem to want a Safari. so it has the big advantage of keeping your heart happy.

But if you dont go for the Safari, I have one concern about your other choices. None of them seem to be the kind of cars you want to keep for very very long periods of time. Over that long a time period, even with low running, most cars start to require some serious maintainance. And both Hyundai and VW are known for pricing their spares on the high side.

If it were upto me, if not the Safari, I would take a serious look at the Toyota Innova. It seems pretty suited to your needs too. Its pretty easy inside the city, and good on the highways too. It should have no trouble lasting you 10 or even more years, without much chance of giving you any serious headaches. The only concern may be, how much was safety a design concern, since the Innova is exclusively a vehicle meant for south and south-east Asian markets. At least with the Safari being exported and sold in most major European markets, we can say it meets all European level crash norms.
Old 2nd September 2011, 09:31   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

I have had not much experience with the Safari. But yes my general perception with Tata is not that great given the 10year ownership period you have mentioned.

I suggested you the Innova before in a post and now many other members are also hinting at it. This is the thing about this car. Its a MPV in the truest sense. You will be surprised to find it easy enough to drive in the densest of traffic, park it with ease anywhere, and its a great car to take on long drives. The seats are very comforting, your seating position is great. Only grudge is the slight engine vibrations that filter in and the long gear shift which vibrates a little. But trust me its not a deal breaker. The FE is decent too. Expect 12 in city traffic ( I get 11kmpl in Delhi traffic and trust me its scary in delhi) and 14 kmpl on the highways with 100% ac all times.

Hope I cleared some doubts. Feel free to ask me any other doubts regarding the Innova. Having driven it for 80k amazing kms I can tell you everything about it from an owners perspective.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the biggest advantage is that after 10 years/1L kms also you will fail to find any rattle in the car. The servicing is cheap. Expect around 4k per 10k kms for general servicing. Wear and tear will be extra but there is hardly any. Till date all I got was to replace the break shoes now at 76k kms service. Costed me 13k I think for all 4. And after 10 years you will be surprised to see the resale value. Just search for some old qualis or innnova on carwale and see the prices for yourself.

Last edited by drmohitg : 2nd September 2011 at 09:38. Reason: added text
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:21   #81
BHPian

SAFARI vs INNOVA-My take

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I have had not much experience with the Safari. But yes my general perception with Tata is not that great given the 10year ownership period you have mentioned.

I suggested you the Innova before in a post and now many other members are also hinting at it. This is the thing about this car. Its a MPV in the truest sense. You will be surprised to find it easy enough to drive in the densest of traffic, park it with ease anywhere, and its a great car to take on long drives
I completely agree with you and Jhulupani. Between Innova and Safari, Innova is the more practical car. One cannot go wrong with it. My personal reasons for not being inclined towards the Innova are its looks. IMHO Toyota makes great cars with woeful looks. All are segment leaders, but on the looks front, I have my doubts. Fortuner, Innova, Etios and the old Qualis are cases in point.

I have no idea how the yet to be launched Innova looks. Maybe I should wait for that.

As far as the Safari is concerned I like the looks and since it is a huge vehicle it would be somewhat more safer.

However the overall quality of a Tata is being doubted by some members. In fact if you watch the recent review of the Aria by SVP in CNB (NDTV) you will fall apart laughing.

The 13 lakh rupee car's cup holders (?) simply would not close and SVP struggled badly with it.

My doubts are that if this is the state with a new Aria what will be the condition of a (10 lakh rupee) Safari?
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:17   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Given your 10 years of use, resale value, proven and acclaimed reliability, ample highway usage the one that does come to mind is the Innova. It may not be as much fun to drive, but should be a very practical choice. It may not be as Fuel Efficient as Vento and Verna. Mohit may be able to tell you more about it. BTW, you should look around the forum. A new Innova is to be launched. It should work better for your resale value too.
As posted earlier I am not very fond of the Innova's looks. I am now thinking that I must wait for the new Innova. Do you have any inkling about how the new Innova looks?

Quote:
Tata Safari doesn’t seem to be suspect as a choice, unless you love the vehicle. But come on! You can’t even use it everyday as you said. What is the point of spending as much and not even get any joy from it during the week. May as well buy something else. SUV’s with their higher GC are almost never as much fun to drive, unless you get a thrill from being towering over the smaller cars and bulling them around. This one does get “respect” on the highways to an extent though. Also, consider the safety point I had talked about. People behind you can’t see what lies ahead of you and consequently you may have a slightly higher chance of an accident. You say the roads aren’t too bad, so why an SUV? Also, if you get into an accident with such a heavy vehicle, you may cause a lot of damage to the other person. IIRC I read that SUVs bumper height is such that if it hits a pedestrian, the chances of fatality are much higher than sedans.
Probably "doesn't" should be read as "does"
You may have a point regarding the safety issues. The Safari also does not find any takers within my own family. It is me who is simply bowled over by the looks. However after a while looks fade away.

Quote:
Vento is a good choice, if you are OK with the cabin. I had serious issues with it (a large part to do with my body structure and 6'), but there are many many happy users. The A$$ costs being relatively unknown becomes a bit of an issue. The engine is a bit rough/noisy in comparison to say the Magnum and Verna. Probably even a bit more than the Innova (am not sure). Some like it. A lot of people go for this for the VW badge. If the badge does things for you, it may be a good choice. Other reasons to go for this are for how it is for spirited driving. Given you seem to usually be a sedate driver, it makes limited sense, unless the others don't really work for you.

Fluidic Verna is a very good city vehicle if you are to use the front two seats. It seems to be the easiest vehicle to drive of the lot. But over say 80kmph, it made me rather nervous. Didn’t feel composed and the steering was without any feedback. Too game like. If you usually don’t drive above 80 and find the rear bench acceptably good, go for it. It is new too. The A$$ network is good too. Hyundai vehicles are pretty reliable too. But if you drive faster than that, it may not feel as safe, which is a priority for you.

Optra Magnum has been around for about 4-5 years nearly in it’s current avatar. About 8-10 in the older Optra avatar. Given you intend keeping it for 10 years, you may get poor resale value. But hey, after 10 years, most would be bad. I could go on and on about this car. Is late now and I’d like to catch some sleep, so would suggest you spend some time on 3 threads, in case you are considering this seriously. (these threads also have various TD reports)
  • My ownership thread (link in my signature)
  • The Choosing thread (link in the ownership thread)
  • Driven! thread (link again in the ownership thread)
To add to that, from the research I did, was told that spare parts should not be an issue. At most, when it is really old, they may take a few days to arrange it, as they do for the Opel Vectra, which hardly sold and was discontinued many many years back (5 or more?). Was reconfirmed after my purchase in a talk with a senior GM fellow I happened to talk to. It is an absolutely wonderful car in terms of space and how it drives, but the dash design already looks old and you intend keeping it for 10 years. This is a major point of concern in your case. I had 5-7years in mind and have gone ahead.

See if you like the drive enough, to offset those negatives. Also, there is a LOT of talk about this car based on it's petrol sibling, how expensive it used to be to maintain once upon a time, etc. They made changes to the exhaust system during the BS4 changes and the new one hardly has any turbolag, if you are used to diesel engines. A lot of people comment on it, without really even having TD the "new" car!
(note: I could not help myself from adding as much, even when I was so sleepy. LOL. This car does it to me )

Do let us know what you think.
Thanks a lot for all your suggestions and the trouble taken by you all.

Between the Verna, Optra and the Vento, the Vento is last on my list.

The holding period of ten years can be brought down to 7 years and even if we take 7 years the Optra may have problems with spares.

Now am seriously thinking about the new Innova after reading all your posts and that adds to the confusion
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:42   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: SAFARI vs INNOVA-My take

Quote:
IMHO Toyota makes great cars with woeful looks. All are segment leaders, but on the looks front, I have my doubts. Fortuner, Innova, Etios and the old Qualis are cases in point.
FORTUNER is an awesome looking SUV mate!! Its the looks and only looks which are selling that car for 20L. Was it a typo by any chance?
Yea generally the Etios and Qualis look bad. But Innova looks decent I feel. I sort of liked it when it was launched and even today I like the looks specially in the dark grey colour. If you can compromise on the looks front slightly you get a very dependable rugged work horse. You can always add nice alloys , mats and ICE to spice up the interiors. I just got new alloys and 3d mats for my Innova and its started to look all new and shiny. You can find the pictures here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...gu-mats-5.html

Quote:
I have no idea how the yet to be launched Innova looks. Maybe I should wait for that.
The new one looks pretty much similar to the current one with only minor tweaks here and there and a very slightly different looking Bonnet. There is no date specified for its launch too. So if you plan to wait for an undefined period of time or not is a call you have to take. Here is the link to the thread on the new Innova. See if you like the looks because I still prefer the current one over this : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ationally.html

Quote:
As far as the Safari is concerned I like the looks and since it is a huge vehicle it would be somewhat more safer.
Its been discussed a lot that safety has nothing to do with size. Given the higher CG these cars might be lesser fun to drive infact specially at high speeds and cornering. At the same time they will gobble up potholes and other irregularities in the road without even making a noise.

Quote:
The 13 lakh rupee car's cup holders (?) simply would not close and SVP struggled badly with it.

My doubts are that if this is the state with a new Aria what will be the condition of a (10 lakh rupee) Safari?
Thats my point precisely. Tata has come a long way ofcourse but there is still a lot left desired. I went to see the Aria and was shocked to see huge panel gaps between the front panels. The SA gave me a big grin and said "Its Tata Sir". Safari looks awesome even today. But be ready to spend time on rattles and stuff if you intend to keep it for 10 years. Innova on the other hand is a total piece of mind. Drive it whichever way you want it, it wont make a noise.

Last edited by drmohitg : 2nd September 2011 at 11:51.
Old 3rd September 2011, 13:26   #84
BHPian

SAFARI vs INNOVA

Quote:
Yea generally the Etios and Qualis look bad. But Innova looks decent I feel. I sort of liked it when it was launched and even today I like the looks specially in the dark grey colour. If you can compromise on the looks front slightly you get a very dependable rugged work horse.

But then looks are subjective. I do not know why Toyota discontinued the black Innova. Black looked the best in Innova. Hope they bring it back in the new Innova.
Old 3rd September 2011, 18:01   #85
BHPian

New Innova

Quote:
The new one looks pretty much similar to the current one with only minor tweaks here and there and a very slightly different looking Bonnet.
Not all Toyota cars look bad. Have a look at the "Previa".
Hope they draw some inspiration for the new Innova.
Attached Thumbnails
ANHC vs OPTRA vs SCORPIO vs SAFARI vs VENTO-f_h_previa.jpg  

ANHC vs OPTRA vs SCORPIO vs SAFARI vs VENTO-previa_2.jpg  

Gautam Misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 17:38   #86
BHPian

Here are my suggestions:

1. Hire a Tata Safari for the trip to Ladakh.
2. For your personal car needs, apart from the Ladakh trip, I suggest the following:
A. Optra Magnum Diesel LT
B. ANHC

The Optra is a rough 2 Lakhs more than the ANHC, but fuel expenses will be compensated for based on your usage criteria.

You mentioned you do not drive fast at all. The Optra is more of a cruiser while the ANHC is a purebred pedal to metal driver car. Yet the Optra will also satisfy your need to own a powerful car. Lots of power on tap.
Old 14th September 2011, 08:42   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
Here are my suggestions:
1. Hire a Tata Safari for the trip to Ladakh.
2. For your personal car needs, apart from the Ladakh trip, I suggest the following:
A. Optra Magnum Diesel LT
B. ANHC
Thanks a ton. But my choices are only diesel cars and sadly a diesel City is a few more years away.

So far as the Optra is concerned I did visit the Chevy showroom for a TD but they had not got even a single car in the show room

The sales people were polite and said that as soon as the car is available they would give me a TD. The reasons for not having an optra were that at the same cost we can have 3 beats
Old 14th September 2011, 08:48   #88
BHPian

Re: New Innova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
Not all Toyota cars look bad. Have a look at the "Previa".
Hey Gautam the previa does look awesome. I hope the pics are not of the photo shop type.
Old 14th September 2011, 09:39   #89
BHPian

Rai, you should GM India that you are unable to TD an Optra in your city. I am pretty sure the dealer would be galvanized into action.

Or give them a call.

General Motors India Pvt Ltd
Plot no. 15, Sector 32,
Institutional Area,
Gurgaon-122001
Tel: +91-124-4213333
+91-124-4213333
Fax: +91-124-4213334
Email: gmi.cac@gm.com
Old 14th September 2011, 18:30   #90
BANNED

Are you rejecting the Innova ONLY because you do not like the its looks? If yes, I would suggest you take a look at it in all shades and then decide.

Also, I second what a few others have said about buying an SUV that unless you regularly use your automobile on bad roads/cross country trips, you d be better off with a sedan in terms of driving comfort, technology(in the range that you are shopping for), and modernity offered.

Most Viewed