Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2011, 08:15   #61
BHPian

Re: ANHC vs OPTRA vs SCORPIO vs SAFARI vs VENTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The Vento, Verna and the Optra going by their international design and safety standards are far safer than the Safari/Scorpio. The Innova too is better than our desi SUVs when it comes to passenger and pedestrian safety measures.
You may be correct to an extent. However between a Safari and a Verna can it be conclusively said that the Verna is safer?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...uv-debate.html

One more query: Why haven't you recommended the Verna?
Old 31st August 2011, 12:55   #62
BHPian

Congratulations Rai on your prospective new vehicle.

From your initial post it appears that you are inclined towards the Safari and if not the Safari then the Verna.

Well I must say that both are vehicles of different segments and contrary to what Jhulupani says Tata cars lack finesse.

IMHO you can go for the Verna or may be the Optra.

You can also get in touch with Poitive who has recently bought an Optra and is really happy with it.
Gautam Misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 13:54   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
Well I must say that both are vehicles of different segments and contrary to what Julupani says Tata cars lack finesse.
Have you checked out the Aria?? I have had the chance to experience one, and I can tell you its got finesse. And I expect this to be carried forward to the Merlin too.

Dont rule anything out without actually seeing and experiencing it.
Old 31st August 2011, 14:28   #64
Senior - BHPian

Re: OPTRA vs SAFARI vs VENTO vs ANHV

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichoudhury View Post
Dear Bhpians,
I have a peculiar problem. With so many choices of cars available today, I am finding it difficult to zero in on a car which would carry me for the next 10 years. Help me decide.
Things which I am sure of: Diesel, No Maruti Vehicle. No Hatch.
Top priorities: Looks and Safety.
MY SHORTLIST
After putting in some thought I have shortlisted the following cars:
1. Tata Safari-
My heart wants me to buy this car badly; that too a black one. Great looker. Great view from the cabin. Safer than a sedan(?)
The stumbling blocks: far too many.
(a) This car simply does not suit my job profile; I cannot take this car to work. My work does not require me to drive much. So it will be only used in the weekends.
(b) Niggling issues of Tata Cars.
(c) Parking / maneuvering in city traffic.

2. ANHV
This is the next car on my list. Reasons for buying: Great looker from the back. Front is ok. Suits my job profile. Gizmos. Proven car. Hyundai after sales is better than many others (?)

The stumbling blocks:
(a) Will it be as safe as a Tata Safari or say an Innova.
(b) After sales costs.

3. OPTRA
Third car on my list. Reasons for buying: Great looker from the front. Back is ok. Suits my job profile. Some rave reviews on this forum. Reduced price.

The stumbling blocks:
(a) Dated and not the latest
(b) Will it be as safe as a Tata Safari or say an Innova.
(c) After sales costs of a Chevy.
(d) Should I wait for some more years and go for the Cruze? (To bring it within my budget)

4. VENTO
Last on my list. Reasons for buying: Suits my job profile. Great ride quality
Stumbling blocks:
(a) Will it be as safe as a Tata Safari or say an Innova.
(b) After sales costs and lesser known terrain of Volkswagen cars.
(c) Plain looks

I need all your help badly.
Because you want to keep it for 10 years , it would be advisable to stay away from the Optra and Safari . Optras do not sell and we can have so many excuses but the reality is that they do not sell for good reasons . While there are posts raving about Optra , there also exists numerous posts/ threads where its glaring quality shortcomings have been pointed out. SUVs may have the bulk but that does not necessarily mean that they are safer , it depends on other factors too.

ANHV - is certainly pretty safe , has all the safety features built in - a very good all round car for normal city driving. After sales support would be good but do not expect the cost of spares to like santro or i10 . It would be a few notches above that though should be manageable

Vento - The highline has all the safety features , trendline is bare bones. After sales is not proven and spares would surely be costly ( in the same bracket as ANHC) - not the car that you should buy if you are concerned about cost of ownership. On the positives, the car has great build quality and the TDi engine is fantastic - you got to drive it once to get addicted.
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 16:16   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Bhpians,
I have a peculiar problem. With so many choices of cars available today, I am finding it difficult to zero in on a car which would carry me for the next 10 years. Help me decide.
Well since you plan to keep the car for 10 years I would suggest only 1 car: Innova. Does it come in your budget? You will not regret it even if you have to stretch it slightly.

Pros:
1. Toyota reliability. I have been driving one for 80k kms now and not a noise from anywhere. Neither has the car asked for any extra work other then servicing.
2. Its a Diesel ofcourse!
3. The A.S.S is proven one. Plus the cost of servicing etc. is very reasonable.
4. Will help you in both in the city and on your outstation trips. Carry as many people and luggage you want and you will still find some space left.
5. It gives a decent FE for its size and also is easy to drive in the city. You will be surprised to find it extremely car like to drive.

Cons:
1. Image can be an issue but other then that I don't think there is any.

Innova is 1 true mile cruncher. And even after 10 years and some 2L kms you will still find buyers happy to take the car off your hands.

Otherwise amongst your choices I will go with the ANHV. Only because I don't feel so sure about the long term aspects of the others in your list. But do note that the rear seat is very cramped in the ANHV.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 18:19   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Bhpians,
Top priorities: Looks and Safety.
Hi Rai,

The problem isn't peculiar. Most of us go through it. I have gone through it only recently. Not sure if you went though my dilemmas in the Choosing and Driven! threads.

Links: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...-upto-12l.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...iesta-pg5.html

To give meaningful suggestions, please inform us of the following
:
  1. How many kms do you expect to use the car annually. (Will tell us the cumulative milage at the end of 10 years)
  2. What is the rough pattern of usage on highways and city?
  3. Do you travel a lot in bumper to bumper traffic?
  4. Are you open to managing a car with some niggles, if it is good on other fronts?
  5. Do you drive hard and need a car which handles well. Especially around corners?
  6. Do you often drive fast? Can you compromise a bit on that?
  7. How important is a smooth engine to you?
  8. How important is the car cabin being spacious to you?
  9. Are you open to managing the odd time when you may have to run a bit for the parts? Which city is the car going to be in? (transferable job?).
  10. How important is Fuel Efficiency to you?
  11. How important is the cost of maintenance to you?
  12. How important is the resale value to you (should not be of much concern, given you are keeping it for 10 years)
  13. There may be many other points of concern to you. Please let us know of the same.
The more you tell the members, the more meaningfully they can answer. If it was to be answered casually, I'd simply say Optra Magnum, as it is doing wonderfully for me. Did ample research before putting in the money. But the question is - what is the right car for YOUR needs?!!

------------------

Looks are very subjective. Here, it should be more about your own opinion than what others tell you.

While considering safety, IMO, one needs to look a lot beyond just safety features. Other factors that come to mind right away:
  • General Stability/Composure of the car, based on your usage and the kind of surfaces it is likely to be driven on.
  • Composure on braking across various surfaces.
  • Handling (also keeping the CG in mind)
  • Braking distance 60-0 and 100-0 (eg. Verito/Logan does acceptably well on 60-0, not on 100-0)
  • Agility
  • Vision of the road ahead of you.
  • Vision for the person behind you. (A person following a Tata Safari, often would not be able to see what lies ahead of you and has a higher chance of hitting you from the back).
  • How much of an improvement some minor mods can make to the car (at times a small tyre upgrade takes care of some issues)

Last edited by Poitive : 31st August 2011 at 18:33.
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 21:12   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Have you checked out the Aria?? I have had the chance to experience one, and I can tell you its got finesse. And I expect this to be carried forward to the Merlin too.
Dont rule anything out without actually seeing and experiencing it.
The issue here is the overall finesse of TATA cars vis-a-vis say a Vento or a Verna or even for that matter the Optra.
I have nothing against Tata or owners of TATA Cars. As far as experience goes I have many friends owning Safaris who simply love their cars and have taken the small niggling issues completely in their stride. To give you specific instances of these niggling issues - power windows not working within 2 weeks of buying the car; Another Manza owner had complains of his boot light not going off at all.

All these are small things that are immediately taken care of by the Service stations; Still then, these are niggling issues which IMHO are more pronounced in TATA cars.

As far as the Aria is concerned it may be great car but the sales figures are appalling. Just compare the new kid on the block (Aria) and the grand dad (Innova) in terms of overall build quality. The dated Innova is miles ahead even today.
Old 31st August 2011, 21:25   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
The issue here is the overall finesse of TATA cars vis-a-vis say a Vento or a Verna or even for that matter the Optra.
I have nothing against Tata or owners of TATA Cars. As far as experience goes I have many friends owning Safaris who simply love their cars and have taken the small niggling issues completely in their stride. To give you specific instances of these niggling issues - power windows not working within 2 weeks of buying the car; Another Manza owner had complains of his boot light not going off at all.

All these are small things that are immediately taken care of by the Service stations; Still then, these are niggling issues which IMHO are more pronounced in TATA cars.

As far as the Aria is concerned it may be great car but the sales figures are appalling. Just compare the new kid on the block (Aria) and the grand dad (Innova) in terms of overall build quality. The dated Innova is miles ahead even today.
Have you actually compared the Aria and Innova yourself??

I have experienced both, and I can tell you I will take the Aria anyday over an Innova. Of course, I will be paying probably 2-3lakhs more for the Aria, but it will be well worth it.

That is my point, I am not saying that Tata cars are known for their quality. But they have moved ahead quite a bit. And I am not yet ready to rule out the Merlin in that regard, considering how good the Aria is.

And lets not compare sales figures of Aria with Innova, as they are not even in the same class. Till the start of this month, the cheapest Aria was more than a lakh costlier than the top Innova. The Aria is a niche player, and it has been doing more than decent numbers. Compare it with players in its price range, and you will see its doing better than many other cars.

I am not saying, the Merlin will be better than the Vento or Verna or any other car at all. My point is not to rule out particular cars, without actually trying them out, just by pronouncing judgments sitting in comfortable armchairs.
Old 31st August 2011, 21:36   #69
BHPian

My answers in brackets
  • How many kms do you expect to use the car annually. (Will tell us the cumulative milage at the end of 10 years)
  • What is the rough pattern of usage on highways and city?
  • Do you travel a lot in bumper to bumper traffic?
  • Are you open to managing a car with some niggles, if it is good on other fronts? (Yes - but this is only for the Safari)
  • Do you drive hard and need a car which handles well. Especially around corners? (No)
  • Do you often drive fast? Can you compromise a bit on that? (I do not drive fast at all but that does not mean that I do not love powerful cars)
  • How important is a smooth engine to you? (Fairly important)
  • How important is the car cabin being spacious to you? (Not that important)
  • Are you open to managing the odd time when you may have to run a bit for the parts? Which city is the car going to be in? (transferable job?). (No time to run around)
  • How important is Fuel Efficiency to you? (Fairly important)
  • How important is the cost of maintenance to you? (Important as it would be my second car)
  • How important is the resale value to you (Not really important but I would not like to face situations like Matiz / Ceilo owners did)
  • There may be many other points of concern to you. Please let us know of the same.
The more you tell the members, the more meaningfully they can answer.

Annual mileage would be around 12000 km.

70% would be city usage. 30% highways. (I intend to keep my Swift D though)

There is usually not much congestion as of now in Orissa.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd September 2011 at 15:47. Reason: Removing FONT Tags. Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word softwares. It results in a formatting error.
Old 31st August 2011, 22:51   #70
MAS
Senior - BHPian

@raichowdhury

I was in the same boat as you for a month till i decided on the NFF.

Safari is a car which one could buy only if you are okay with the poor interiors which keep falling apart even in a new vehicle. Not that they can't be fixed, but it is a SUV which would ask a lot of your time to sort out the niggles.

If you love gadgets, then you will be fully satisfied with the Fluidic Verna. But the suspension set up is completely messed up and any kind of spirited driving on Indian roads is a big no-no.

Vento is a good car. If you taller than an average Indian (read above 5' 8"), then you will have to look elsewhere.

Magnum - Poitive, Keyur and many others own this car and have written indepth reports on the car. Test drive the car and check out if it suits your requirement. In my case, it did not appeal to me.

Please look at the New Ford Fiesta too. The car is priced higher than the competition, but if you love driving, as it was in my case, you would fall for the car. The interiors thought are below par.

Whatever you choose, please do so after a thorough Test drive. Test drive as many times as you want to (go to different dealers for instance). Weigh the pros and cons and come to a decision.

Happy hunting!!!

Last edited by MAS : 31st August 2011 at 22:53.
Old 1st September 2011, 00:43   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Annual mileage would be around 12000 km.

70% would be city usage. 30% highways. (I intend to keep my Swift D though)

There is usually not much congestion as of now in Orissa.
Going by the figures given by you, I d recommend you try the Vento and the Verna and decide which suits you better.

The reason I had not recommended the Verna earlier was due to the better build quality in the Vento which would keep it off rattles for a longer time (that is an assumption) while driving over Odisha's varied road conditions.

In case you are willing to spend a bit more, try the automatic option on the Verna and go for it. You will not regret it. Congested roads or not, having a free foot and and hand is relaxing.
Old 1st September 2011, 00:44   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My answers in brackets
Rai, It seems you copied the text in some other program. Added some content (the parts in brackets), copied back and posted. It is not easily readable.

For the ease of everyone reading it properly (and hence being able to reply properly), may I request you to please re-post your reply in a more easily readable format.

You could just quote my post and reply in bold in the next line of each point. Or probably, just quote that post and answer point number wise.
Old 1st September 2011, 07:46   #73
BHPian

ANHC vs OPTRA vs SCORPIO vs SAFARI vs VENTO

@Poitive

1. Annual Mileage - About 12000 Km

2. Usage - 70% City 30% highways

3. Nature of traffic - It is not kind of bumper to bumper traffic. Roads are reasonably good.

4. Managing a car with some niggles, if it is good on other fronts?
Yes - but this is only for the Safari

5. Do you drive hard and need a car which handles well. Especially around corners? Ans - No

6. Do you often drive fast? Can you compromise a bit on that?
Ans-I do not drive fast at all but that does not mean that I do not love powerful cars

7. How important is a smooth engine to you? Ans-Fairly important

8. How important is the car cabin being spacious to you? Ans-Not that important

9. Are you open to managing the odd time when you may have to run a bit for the parts? Which city is the car going to be in? Ans-No time to run around. City would be Bhubaneshwar

10. How important is Fuel Efficiency to you? Ans-Fairly important

11. How important is the cost of maintenance to you? Ans-Important as it would be my second car as I would retain my Swift D

12. How important is the resale value to you? Ans-Not really important but I would not like to face situations like Matiz / Ceilo owners did
Old 1st September 2011, 08:53   #74
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
For the ease of everyone reading it properly (and hence being able to reply properly), may I request you to please re-post your reply in a more easily readable format.
+1. Your post was unreadable and i had to copy/paste it and separate the questions before i could understand your requirements. I have put down the questions (numbered them) and answers in a more readable format for the benefit of others in the forum.

1. How many kms do you expect to use the car annually.
(Will tell us the cumulative milage at the end of 10 years)

2.a. What is the rough pattern of usage on highways and city?
2.b. Do you travel a lot in bumper to bumper traffic?
2.c. Are you open to managing a car with some niggles, if it is good on other fronts?
(Yes - but this is only for the Safari)

3. Do you drive hard and need a car which handles well. Especially around corners?
(No)

4. Do you often drive fast? Can you compromise a bit on that?
(I do not drive fast at all but that does not mean that I do not love powerful cars)

5. How important is a smooth engine to you?
(Fairly important)

6. How important is the car cabin being spacious to you?
(Not that important)

7. Are you open to managing the odd time when you may have to run a bit for the parts? Which city is the car going to be in?
(transferable job?). (No time to run around)

8. How important is Fuel Efficiency to you? (Fairly important)

9. How important is the cost of maintenance to you?
(Important as it would be my second car)

10. How important is the resale value to you
(Not really important but I would not like to face situations like Matiz / Ceilo owners did)

Now that i know your expectations, i would recommend you to go in for a Verna as
- you seem to be a sedate driver and would not push the car around corners
- most of your driving is in the city
- space is not important for you
- transferable job = service facilities to be wide-spread. Hyundai is next to Maruti in terms of availability of service network.

EDIT: Just saw your post after posting mine.

Last edited by MAS : 1st September 2011 at 08:55.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 09:41   #75
Senior - BHPian

Just to avoid garbled post, I use the Preview button, before posting.

If you use the "Preview Post" button, most of similar errors would be caught and you can rectify them before posting. In fact I use this button a number of times in a long post, to adjust the appearance, and catch a lot of grammatical mistakes, apart from broken links and errors when the text I want to quote has a few missing brackets (due to faulty editing!) and comes as plain text.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks