Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2010, 18:21   #1
BHPian

ANHC vs OPTRA vs SCORPIO vs SAFARI vs VENTO

Hi everybody
Its been a long time since I last posted. Had gone off for a sail. Was BYTE-starved as well as BHP-starved. Hope all of you have been doing great.
Pretty much from the title of this post you have understood my dilemma which is of course self imposed. The price on-road CAL is somewhat as follows

ANHC : 9.1

OPTRA : 8.1

SCORPIO : 9.6 (SLE - BS IV)

SAFARI : 8.5

VENTO : 7.8

I am well aware of the fact that they belong to different classes but more or less in the same price range. I would like a few sugggestions regarding "what car"?
Everybody would ask back saying what would the car be used for? Well the answer is that yes both city driving and a few getaways hence the large cars that i have opted for. I am apprehensive about the fact regarding how the sedans would perform in a long drive or a little hilly areas especially innorth east or the ladakh region etc.
Expect a lot feedback as always from you petroheads!!!!!
Old 7th November 2010, 18:55   #2
BHPian

For a moment, one can think of Vento being driven to Ladakh but ANHC!
People here have posted about the Belly scraping of ANHC over speed breakers, so forget about Ladakh in an ANHC or even in an OPTRA. But VENTO is short on space and in 7.8, you'll get a bare-bone version.

Finally, you are left with the same old question Scorpio Vs Safari!
breezydrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2010, 18:56   #3
BHPian

Personally, if given a choice, I'd pick the Honda without a second guess. The sheer feel of it is brilliant! Honda is reliable and lemons are quite rare.

The Vento Highline, I think fits into the 9.xx bracket as well. Take a look at that.

You can safely rule the Optra out. I feel it is dated and needs to be redone.

The Safari vs The Scorpio. This debate will never end. This something I heard in the meet

"A Safari is never a mind-buy. It is always a heart-buy."

About the vehicle doing trips to Ladakh, all of them can easily do it. On paper that is. The big cars take the cake here.

Cheers!

Cartman.
Old 7th November 2010, 20:27   #4
BHPian

A large car that can tackle poor roads and go to ladakh.
You may have to ditch the sedans, depending on how much luggage room you need for those getaways.
Try considering a used Innova as well, better stability and reliability than the Scorpio and Safari, although some people do feel it has a bit of a Taxi/Tourist Car image.

If you feel a sedan will have adequate room, also look at the SX4, after all it's supposed to have best-in-class Ground Clearance.

Last edited by kadanaJ : 7th November 2010 at 20:28.
Old 7th November 2010, 21:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

If serious about Ladakh..the only option you have is the Scorpio. Period. City drives Vento deisel. Though the Scorpio would be nice as well

Quite a scattered portfolio IMHO

Cheers
Old 7th November 2010, 21:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you are serious about Ladakh, you are better of with a SUV, forget about the Sedans. Between the ANHC,Optra and Vento, its a tough call. If I were you, I would drop the Optra (reluctantly though) because its reached its cycle end. And between the ANHC and Vento, Diesel= Vento, petrol=ANHC.
Old 7th November 2010, 21:57   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
You can safely rule the Optra out. I feel it is dated and needs to be redone.
May I know what exactly do you mean here? What kind of redoing are you talking about?
Old 7th November 2010, 22:02   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire View Post
...both city driving and a few getaways...
...how the sedans would perform in a long drive or a little hilly areas especially innorth east or the ladakh region etc.
I am sure driving & parking a Scorpio/Safari on a daily basis in Calcutta would be quite a handful, and quite frustrating. OTOH, you want a car that can take rough roads without bottoming out. Have you considered an SX4? Or, in extremis, a pre-owned Grand Vitara? Both have smaller footprints, are easier to handle and park inside a congested city, and can take on the mountains quite easily. Incidentally, the SX4 HAS been to Ladakh.
Old 7th November 2010, 22:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
May I know what exactly do you mean here? What kind of redoing are you talking about?
Sir, I was referring to the looks. Though I love it, it seems dated. I think the car needs a refresh. A complete new-look. No?

Last edited by Cartman : 7th November 2010 at 22:07. Reason: Error
Old 7th November 2010, 22:12   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
it seems dated.
To you that means.. Which is fine because looks are always subjective. I got your point though.
Old 7th November 2010, 22:17   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
To you that means.. Which is fine because looks are always subjective. I got your point though.
Thank you, Sir. Glad it conveyed the message I wanted it to, and didn't spark an argument.

OT: I love the old Optra. The new face looks bad and I hate that one! Just to be clearer!
Old 7th November 2010, 22:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I am sure driving & parking a Scorpio/Safari on a daily basis in Calcutta would be quite a handful, and quite frustrating. OTOH, you want a car that can take rough roads without bottoming out. Have you considered an SX4? Or, in extremis, a pre-owned Grand Vitara? Both have smaller footprints, are easier to handle and park inside a congested city, and can take on the mountains quite easily. Incidentally, the SX4 HAS been to Ladakh.
I'd also suggest a pre-owned Fusion. It beats the SX4 on GC and one can get it cheaper in the second hand market than Jap cars.
Old 7th November 2010, 23:59   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I am sure driving & parking a Scorpio/Safari on a daily basis in Calcutta would be quite a handful, and quite frustrating.
Traveller you have a very great point here. Driving on cal roads can be a real pain.
So the war comes down between the anhc and the vento tdi. styling of which seems better to you guys?
safari does have a stately feeling towards it and so does scorpio.
As far as buying second hand cars are concerned they are really a bad deal in calcutta. the dealers screw up with teh mileage and swap parts. its best not to enter such a deal unless one is really sure of teh source!!
Old 8th November 2010, 09:55   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire View Post
...between the anhc and the vento tdi. styling of which seems better to you guys?
The savings you'll make by running a diesel Vento will be offset by the higher service and maintenance costs vis-a-vis the ANHC. Both are good only for smooth roads, not to explore the NE or Ladakh. Styling is a personal choice, and is best left to the person actually owning and driving the car. For that matter, don't you like the SX4's styling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I'd also suggest a pre-owned Fusion.
The Fusion is out of production now, therefore not worth buying for heavy / long-distance travel usage. There are too few of these in the market anyway.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 8th November 2010 at 09:57.
Old 8th November 2010, 10:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Since you are planning to make trips to ladakh, i would say prefer the SUVs. My choice would be the scorpio as i feel the mHawk engine is better than the Dicor in terms of driving pleasure & refinement & the scorpio is more reliable than the safari. though if space & comfort matters more to you & you are ready to live with a few niggles, have a look at the safari.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks