Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2010, 09:32   #1
BHPian

Cedia Upgrade...What car?

Guys,

I own Cedia Sports (red colour) since last 3 years and absolutely happy with the ownership of this wonderful car.

As this is a company car, now I have an option to replace / upgrade car.
And it makes perfect sense for me to upgrade as I get depreciation from company for this car and also Company car benefits starts all over again for new car.

Now, I had this option for last 2 months, but I am unable to make decision, so need helps from all the Car heads.

Company has given me budget of 11.55L (Ex showroom Mumbai without Octroi)

Before I list my options, here are my initial rejections -

1. Honda City - Never really felt this car is good in handling department (compared to Cedia) and also not very great with interior quality.

2. VW Vento - 3-4 months waiting is good enough for rejection.

So here are my options -

1. Altis Petrol (G variant) - This is variant is just within my budget.
But some how this car never really excites me both with its looks and driving pleasure.
I mean, although this car is much better than Cedia when you looks at specs, but handling, performance, acceleration is so dull.
What do you all think?

2. Honda Civic (Manual) - S variant is about 40K over my budget and company won't approve any exceptions, so I will have to talk to the dealer for any additional year end discounts.
But this is definitely good upgrade for me. This is much better than Altis in every department. But any idea on GC issues? New owners?

3. Laura TSI - WoW !!!!! Nothing better to appreciate this beast of a car.
I am ready to consider this option even with the risk of Skoda A.S.S.

Now this car is about 1.5L over my budget, but I already have 1L discount and trying to work out additional corporate discount.
but it think this will be just out of my reach :(

And Finally....

4. Go for New Cedia Sports !
This might look silly considering I already own a Cedia Sports, but I just love this car so much that I don't mind owning it again.
And with new additions like Climate control, 2Din system , Mono Steering and Parking sensors (I think its included), this will be refreshing enough for me to buy one more time.

So guys, what do you think is my best option?

By the way, I already have buyer for my cedia and it could be gone in weeks time. But I am still to decide if I buy new car right away or wait for 2011.

Mods : I been searching forum for last 1 month, but not able to make any decision and hence this post.
Old 30th November 2010, 09:38   #2
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

The Laura TSi would be a perfect alternative for people who drive a Cedia. Its worth the extra cash. If not, go for the new Cedia Sports. It looks terrific with those OZ alloys, leathers, MOMO steering wheel, drilled aluminium pedals an stuffs.
Old 30th November 2010, 09:56   #3
BHPian

I think you are going to have a hard time getting a new car over the cedia. I wish that HM would pull their stuff together and just launch the latest variant and then all us Cedia lovers can actually get the upgrade that we want.

The only thing I can think of as far as an upgrade to my Cedia would be a good car with an auto tranny. Why? I use the car 90% in city and bangalore traffic can really kill you.

Anyway I took a test drive of the VW Vento auto and liked it, but overall its still a long way from being the car that I would want. There are a lot of positives in the interiors, but the power, handling and overall drive is not as good as cedia. Also I cant see anything in the rear view mirror...lol.
Old 30th November 2010, 19:28   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You like to drive? Then, there's only the Civic or the Laura TSI for you. Bargain on the Civic...you'll easily get 40K off. And the facelift's rear suspension is stiffer (read = far better than on the older Civics). Note that the current Civic is on the way out (new gen coming soon, pictures already on the forum). The Laura TSI is an absolute blast to drive, and incredibly mod friendly too. Only downers are the basic level of kit (not even climate control), potential problems & Skoda's after-sales. If you choose dealer JMD and the extended warranty package, you should be better off (though the ownership experience still won't be as hassle-free as the Civics).

On the other hand, you could also think of retaining the Cedia. Take it from your company, wouldn't they give you some financial incentive for refusing a new car? I mean, that's money saved for them and you should get a part of it. If this is possible, mod the hell out of your Cedia (she's 3 years old already). Tons of after market support.

Last edited by GTO : 30th November 2010 at 19:29.
Old 1st December 2010, 15:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Man, I am gonna watch this thread keenly. Whatever comes out should be applicable to me as well. But, as my signature goes, ideal upgrade would be Lancer 2010. Oops, now I hope it would be Lancer 2011. If the Angels do their magic on HM and Mitsubishi's Head's heads to take a decision to launch Lancer 2011 in India.
Until then as GTO rightly puts it, Buy-back from Company, Mod it up and there you go for another 2 years at least, and hope by then Lancer 2011 is here.
Old 1st December 2010, 15:57   #6
BHPian

The Civic is the logical upgrade - you could also consider the Linea Tjet (I'm surprised GTO did'nt mention it!) and please do make sure you keep us posted with your decision - this is going to be an interesting thread
Old 1st December 2010, 16:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

You certainly are in an unenviable position. If you can then hold on to the Cedia untill next year and wait for this Renault.com - Fluence sedan car, photos and video to arrive here Renault India - Cars, news, general information

OR take a chance with the TSi engine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Renault.pdf (606.2 KB, 396 views)
Old 1st December 2010, 17:49   #8
v&v
Senior - BHPian

@vishaltanksale - I think civic is a logical upgrade to Cedia in terms of interiors and performance. You can also find lots of civic ownership for review.
I too was considering a Civic and finally ended up buying vRs .
GC should not be an issue with the newer version.
Old 1st December 2010, 19:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Heh Civic is an upgrade from a Cedia? Really? The little I've driven it, its a step back in refinement, handling, usable power and high speed manners. It doesn't for one bit feel faster than the Cedia inspite of the 15 horses that it has extra on paper. What you do get is more space and better interiors.

In the current market, the only logical upgrade from it is a BMW 3 or the soon to be launched Volvo S60 Petrol. Anything below that is a compromise one way or the other. I'd say hang on to the car for now until you can upgrade to something interesting.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

^^I was waiting for someone to say this. Civic is noway upgrade to Cedia other than its automatic version. With low ground clearance and high turning radius, it would be a pain driving it in cities, if one had already driven Cedia. Me too thinks BMW3 is the most probable upgrade.
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:39   #11
BHPian

Thanks all for your views.

My decision seems to be getting difficult with all the views that are coming in !!

GTO - I just love driving around in Cedia!! Even in Mumbai traffic.....well may be thats bit too much !!

Quote:
Note that the current Civic is on the way out (new gen coming soon, pictures already on the forum).
thats kinda was there on mind, but then compared with Altis I am still ready for it, just for driving pleasure

Quote:
The Laura TSI is an absolute blast to drive, and incredibly mod friendly too. Only downers are the basic level of kit (not even climate control), potential problems & Skoda's after-sales
I thought TSI has climate control. Am I missing anything here?

Quote:
Heh Civic is an upgrade from a Cedia? Really? The little I've driven it, its a step back in refinement, handling, usable power and high speed manners. It doesn't for one bit feel faster than the Cedia inspite of the 15 horses that it has extra on paper. What you do get is more space and better interiors.
I know what you are saying mate. I mean those extra horses doesn't really show up when you drive Altis or Civic, but Civic is definitely better of the two anyday. For me Cedia wins over Civic in 3 departments GC, Handling and Turning Radius, which is actually very huge

Quote:
On the other hand, you could also think of retaining the Cedia. Take it from your company, wouldn't they give you some financial incentive for refusing a new car?
Well its not that company is pushing me for it, infact its completely my decision and the main reason is the fabulous company car policy
Here is what I get as part of car package-
1. Ex Showroom (without octroi) is the finance amount (3 years)
2. Rest all (Octroi, Registration and insurance is paid by company ).
3. Company provide ~30 depreciation on car value, so end up paying 70% of EMI which is completely tax free(doesn't even show up in payslip)
4. This on top of regular perks like driver salary, gas and maint. bills completely non-taxable.
So If I add up all the benefits, I end-up paying about 50% of total car value.
Now if I sell this Cedia after 3 years, I kind of get back almost 80% of what I paid in last 3 years (even with low resale value of Cedia).
And now if I go for new car then I start enjoying these benefits again.

So what do you guys think? isn't this tempting ?

Also there are lot of discussions around DTC (direct tax code) and if it gets implemented (even 50% of proposed plan), then I am sure these car benefits will be ripped to nothing, so might as well enjoy for one last time.

Quote:
If this is possible, mod the hell out of your Cedia (she's 3 years old already). Tons of after market support.
Well this was part of my plan around 6 months back. I was planning to retain Cedia for possible mods in 1-2 years and also by 2nd car though company. But thanks to car parking issues and lack of support from home dept, I had to drop this plan.

By the way, there is another issue that has come-up. I feel there is something fishy with Mitsubishi service.
Yesterday I went for service, to ensure everything is fine before I sell the car, specially wanted to check suspension as car was drifting towards left (no issue with alignment).
Service guy told me there are few suspension parts (bolts, struts and something more) which have gone weak, but you will have to replace complete suspension as Mitsubishi doesn't sell individual spares.

I just don't buy this argument and also the fact that 3 year old Cedia needs suspension replacement. Something is not right here and I am going speak to some of the insider sources within the dealer and understand this.
But meantime, can someone help me with good after market service center (preferably in central Mumbai) who can check the suspension?
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:58   #12
BHPian

Any car apart from the cedia would be a downgrade when it comes to pure driving dynamics in your budget. I suggest save yourself a trouble and go get that cedia again! You won't regret it. If there's any alternate option you want to try then I think you can TD the linea t-jet but I don't think even this car can match pure acceleration of cedia
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:14   #13
BHPian

Upgrade from Cedia is difficult (the car spoils you ) and leaves you with very limited options. That kind of ergonomics is hard to find.
Pass the Skoda.The Civic is the best deal I think. Timeless design - it can never age I think its one of the great all rounder cars in India and a hoot to drive.
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Suspension replacement in 3 years in Cedia Unbelievable. Please do check with more than one dealer and also consult HM direct. The rear has multi-link suspension with so many links and joints and gets a bit slack in 3 years time. I got my car suspensions tightness checked, greased and aligned exactly after 3 years and the car is as good as new now. It was kind of rattling before and now absolutely no noise from the suspensions.
Drifting towards left could be due to 2 other reasons too - 1. uneven wear on tyres and 2. uneven or nearly worn out brake pads. Please eliminate these two as well.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 2nd December 2010 at 17:53.
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

A realistic upgrade from the Cedia would be this 2010 Suzuki Kizashi SLS Full Test
the only question is how soon do we get it in India, maybe Tbhp management could throw some light on it, though one member has posted a January 2011 launch date http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2156550 and another thread had snaps of the car with Gurgaon RTO plates going around the country. I would recommend that you find out a little more before putting your money down on any other car.

Most Viewed