Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2010, 17:35   #1

Laura AT, Cruze AT, Superb AT or anything else?

I have owned a lot of cars in the last 10 years right from a Maruti 800 to OHNC , Terracan , Vectra , 2nd generation Honda city , Swift , Indigo , jazz , Accord , BMW 5.25i , LAURA AT

My current query comes where i want to change my Laura AT 4 yr old 57000 kms done , now giving me a lot of problems in terms of breakdowns and other problems of spare parts.

I want a car which is a apt replacer for my laura , I just loved the way it drived and the tank like built , but a very sorry after sales .

I havent put up a bedget , or type of car sedan , suv , or muv , But a 20L barrier is good buy . MT OR AT both are ok

Wat i want is something which is safe, comfortable , decent on mileage , after sales , great in driving when i drive , and comfort when chauffered around .

I will give my choices Cruze , laura again , superb , Vento or JETTa , Pajero SFX , Fortuner

So help me out guys , GTO your comments will be most appreciated .

Also if you suggest me to stick with laura and do overhaul if its gonna be one time cost ....
Old 13th December 2010, 22:29   #2
BANNED

re: Laura AT, Cruze AT, Superb AT or anything else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincy_30 View Post
I want a car which is a apt replacer for my laura , I just loved the way it drived and the tank like built , but a very sorry after sales .

I havent put up a bedget , or type of car sedan , suv , or muv , But a 20L barrier is good buy . MT OR AT both are ok

Wat i want is something which is safe, comfortable , decent on mileage , after sales , great in driving when i drive , and comfort when chauffered around .

I will give my choices Cruze , laura again , superb , Vento or JETTa , Pajero SFX , Fortuner
To begin with, I wouldnt recommend you parting ways with the Laura so soon since its hardly begun to age. But if you have decided to do so, the next buyer is one lucky chap.

Having said that, if you loved the way the Laura drove, forget SUVs unless you can plonk for an x3 or something which is out of your range.

Coming to sedans, since you can afford it, remove the Vento.

The Jetta doesn't have the fab autobox that the Laura has and doesn't feel rich either. VW too have a bad reputation for ASC. In fact, Skoda have improved by leaps and bounds and now offer a 4 year warranty as well.

So in my opinion, out of the cars you have listed, I d pick the new Laura TDI with the DSG or the Superb.

What do I suggest? The Superb for its superb back seat comfort and everything else. Take a TD and decide.
Old 14th December 2010, 08:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Laura AT, Cruze AT, Superb AT or anything else?

It would be great if you can provide more details on the type of problems your current Laura has been giving and the servicing experience.

Depending on the nature of problems the car is giving you, it might be a wise thing to fix the car for good and continue to use it. Of course, if you feel there are too many things going wrong, then it is better to replace it.

I am finding it very hard to find a suitable diesel sedan at 20-25L OTR Bangalore. My Laura ownership (L&K, 3.5 yrs, 43K km) has been great and off late I have been toying with the idea of treating myself with a new car. The more I shop around, the more I am convinced that it is not worth replacing Laura within my budget considering it has been a lovely car to drive without any problems so far. But you know how it is with buying cars - it is irrational and always self-destructive (financially speaking) so I am still looking out for a diesel sedan. Ruled out new cars as there aren't many 20-25L diesel sedans - checking out the used-car market.

The good news is: Having mentally prepared to shell out 20-25L for a new car, the alternative of keeping Laura seems dirt cheap :-)

Last edited by androdev : 14th December 2010 at 09:03.
Old 14th December 2010, 13:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The Jetta doesn't have the fab autobox
>>> Agree. The DSG is arguably the best 'automatic' there is. See flyingspur's post in a comparo ( well sort of) with the Bimmer 3's auto.

I have the DSG and it is one reason why I venture out for my long distance runs, not to speak of using the car for crawling in Bombay's bad/chaotic traffic.

Quote:
VW too have a bad reputation for ASC.
>>> Disagree. My personal experience has been diametrically opposite.

I am to embark on a nearly 4000 km run from Bombay to Uttarakhand and back and will also take my car through an unscheduled health check at the VW service centre- they've agreed with no hassles.

For my Jetta purchase decision, you may like to go through my thread :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-vw-jetta.html

Quote:
Take a TD and decide.
>>> Agree. To add to it, please

i. take the test drive car through your normal/regular route
ii. ensure that the tyres are inflated to the correct specs as in the manual
iii. give weightage to your parameters ( plural) for selection, rather than the salesman's (or mine!); the parameters could be anything such as pick up at low revs/torque at low revs, or rear seat space/legroom/shoulder room, or build quality or features or fuel consumption in stop ang go traffic or high speed cruising ability or after sales service - its your pick

At the end of the day, your car should make you smile and feel good.

Regards, drive safe
Old 14th December 2010, 15:12   #5
BHPian

I had the same dilemma. My Laura was giving me a host of problems and after that, all I wanted was peace of mind. And I went with the Accord AT. Though a shade above the 20L barrier, long time costs were lower, when you consider resale value and maintenance costs. You would also love the refinement of the car after the Laura. I ruled out the Cruze AT mostly because its back seat was a bit poor on space and ride. And didnt want another Skoda.

My two cents.
Old 14th December 2010, 16:08   #6
BHPian

I too would be very interested in knowing what problems your respective Laura(s) were exhibiting.
Old 14th December 2010, 16:36   #7
Team-BHP Support

From what you have listed, the Superb with DSG looks like a good option. And then you have the BMW X1 launch coming around. The regular sDrive 20d will be around your budget.
Old 14th December 2010, 18:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
I too would be very interested in knowing what problems your respective Laura(s) were exhibiting.
A lot of problems

Name a few

Busted music system n ac controller done by thieves changed that along with had to do the entire wire assembly .
Engine start problem had to replace a part , 70 k
Ac went conk in 1st yr changed under warranty after 3 years of that changed ac compressor and condenser .
Engine problem again told to change the same part
Yesterday a xenon bulb went putt.

I m tired of this expenses now
Old 15th December 2010, 21:22   #9

Sent. Car today to autobahn service centre ,

SA said flywheel 70k again the culprit along with that battery 9k has gone bad and along with that it has affected the starter .
The bulb which is busted , the SA said that either bulb or blaster issue , will conclude only when he opens each will set me back by 12k .

Guys I need some1 to help me ,watt shuld I do , can some 1suugest should get all these done at the service centre or somewhere else please some1 reliable.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.
Old 20th December 2010, 16:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincy_30 View Post
A lot of problems

Name a few

Busted music system n ac controller done by thieves changed that along with had to do the entire wire assembly .
Engine start problem had to replace a part , 70 k
Ac went conk in 1st yr changed under warranty after 3 years of that changed ac compressor and condenser .
Engine problem again told to change the same part
Yesterday a xenon bulb went putt.

I m tired of this expenses now
Screwdriva
i have had host of problems , recently when is sent the car to service , i got to know from the advisor that the flywheel is gonna give up soon , thats gonna set me back by 70 thousand , the xenon bulb or the blaster has gone bad each might set me back by 12 thousand each ,

suspension is got little rickety , and ac compressor is always a problem in skodas had to replace the same couple of months ago.

SO now suggest what should i do, i dont mind spending about a lac and get things straight for atleast year and a half.

do write in ,,,
Old 9th August 2013, 14:14   #11
BHPian

Cruze AT vs. Laura DSG

Hello BHPians,
I am looking for a D-segment sedan that runs on diesel and has an automatic transmission. I have narrowed down my search to the Cruze AT LTZ and the Laura CR 140 AT in Ambition/Elegance trims, and have test-driven both. I will mainly use the car in the city (80%) more often that not in peak-hour traffic. My wife would drive the car too, so it is important that the car is "easy" for her handle and doesn't seem intimidating in any way. I expect a an above average stereo system as I am a musician myself, and climate control too.

I loved the Laura for the finesse of its interiors and its DSG box (almost intuitive!). A couple of factors are keeping me from going ahead with this:
1. The upcoming launch of the new Octavia - should I wait for this? Will this cost a lot more than the Laura?
2. Skoda ASS horror stories - very, VERY, concerned about this
3. Cost of ownership over the next 5-6 years (I don't intend to sell for a while) - I've heard stories of DSG, compressor, and other failures costing astronomical amounts to fix
4. Ambition variant is stripped of most luxury features. Elegance isn't available any more. L&K is a whopping 3.2 lakhs more (ex-showroom BLR).

The Cruze I test drove whined every time I tried to step on the throttle and kept popping up an error on the MID. It didn't feel like a 166PS diesel rocket at all. I am not sure if the AT is unresponsive or if it was just that particular car. I liked the Cruze, but not as much as the Laura.

Regarding A.S.S., I know that some of the GM service centers in Bangalore are completely swamped daily (my parents own a Spark), and I don't know much about the TCO for the Cruze. From what I understand, the LTZ is better equipped than the Laura Ambition (around the same price).

What would you folks advise me to go with?
Old 9th August 2013, 14:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cruze AT vs. Laura DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNAWAYAJ View Post
Hello BHPians,
1. The upcoming launch of the new Octavia - should I wait for this? Will this cost a lot more than the Laura?
3. Cost of ownership over the next 5-6 years (I don't intend to sell for a while) - I've heard stories of DSG, compressor, and other failures costing astronomical amounts to fix
4. Ambition variant is stripped of most luxury features. Elegance isn't available any more. L&K is a whopping 3.2 lakhs more (ex-showroom BLR).
Having owned a Skoda for the last 6 years can certainly say the maintenance gets a little high post 4 or 5 years. The parts can be quite expensive should they fail. Ours is an Octavia which has lesser electronics than the Laura, so less chances of failure yet a few thins went kaput. Nothing major except the clutch though.

1. The New Octavia will be launched in the top-end variants first, hence it will be more expensive than the Laura. If you can stretch your budget i'd suggest you wait. Even otherwise, once the new model is launched you can get better discounts on the Laura,so if it isn't an issue do wait it out.

2. The Skoda A.S.S in banaglore is quite good,especially Vinayak Skoda. You can stop worrying about bad service

3. The DSG on diesels is known to be more reliable so I don't think it will fail like the DQ 200 box, the compressors and other parts may need replacement a few years down the line and might be expensive.

If you like the Laura (which seems so, from your post) I suggest you go ahead with it. It would be my pick between the 2 as well!
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 14:50   #13
BHPian

hi
Few suggestions considering we have both the cars, though Cruze manual and Laura DSG 1.8
- A.S.S. and cost of ownership - there is no winner, both GM and Skoda on same page.
- Laura 2.0 tdi with DSG is brilliant to drive, I personally have not driven Cruze AT so no comments.
- If you liked Laura, don't wait for new Octavia. Autocar report says its handling is not so good and also ride is stiff.
- Skoda have rectified issues related to AC (they did some replacements in our laura and AC is working well) also Music system is pretty OK. Still I suggest upgraded speakers should give better clarity.
- Built quality of both the cars is excellent. Our Cruze have completed 98k and not a single squeak or rattle.
Raosaheb Desai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 15:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A couple of factors are keeping me from going ahead with this:
As a current and recent Skoda owner my take on your queries -
1. If you can wait, you should. Octavia is a much improved cars with lots of bells and whistles and improved engines.
2. Are over-hyped. Skoda ASC is much improved but being proactive on any ASC helps.
3. Not to be much concerned about as most shortcomings like the compressor and DSG have been rectified. Do remember though that the spare parts are a little costlier than the cheaper Japs but then they last longer too.
4. If you do decide for the current Laura, I would still advise you to wait for the Octavia. You might then get the top L&K at a whopping discount of 5L or more. Even now the discounts are quite good on the top variants.

Last edited by dkaile : 9th August 2013 at 15:18.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 15:58   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians,
intuitive!). A couple of factors are keeping me from going ahead with this:
As Dkaile suggested wait for the Octavia. Its going to be the pick of the D segment once it is launched. But expect it to be expensive, as Skoda generally launches its fully loaded L&K versions first. This will further push down Laura prices and the gap will be quite large. Once Laura kits are exhausted the lower trims of the Octavia will come out.

Between the Cruze and Laura Diesel AT, the Laura has a more competent gearbox and paired with the 140 hp 2.0 TDI engine it is quite a fast car. Though it misses out on certain features, the overall interior quality exudes quality and richness and the music system is one of the best sounding OE systems out there.

Skoda A.S.S. is certainly improving, but spares and replacement parts are more expensive when compared to cars like the Cruze and Altis. I myself am a Laura owner who owned a Corolla before. I feel the cost of ownership is just marginally higher. Bangalore has some of the better Skoda dealers around, so that's an advantage too.

The six speed DSG on the diesel Laura is very reliable and there's nothing to worry there. Take the extended four year warranty, it'll give you good peace of mind. AC compressor issues also have been tackled and off late these issues are not creeping up in recent production models.

The Laura FL is one of Skoda's most reliable cars they've sold in India. Its well built, has good quality levels inside out and boasts of a multilink rear suspension set up which is fast becoming extinct in the entry D segment. Even the new Octavia (diesel) won't have it. If you do decide to go for the Laura, bargain hard. There are good discounts to be had as it is an outgoing model.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed