Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2010, 22:10   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

German dilemma - Polo or Vento

Hi
I have decided earlier on one of the latest released VW cars, but have landed now in the subject dilemma when in discussion with a few friends. Now have taken this opportunity to seek the views here, since it could not be a better time, as my membership was approved recently.

Here is the profile of the needs and desirables.

Decided : Vento (petrol) or 1.6 Polo

Drive profile:
Distance covered 1200 km (monthly)
Long distance 4 trips (800 km one trip)
Occupancy 1 (daily and 2 @ week ends)
Drive city
Ownership 5 to 7 years

Following are the needs:

Drive fun to drive in city
Fuel efficiency moderate
Maintenance low cost of ownership
Fuel efficiency avearge
Stying very good

Would valuable your comments as it would be decide the booking in the coming month.

Cheers,
Jeev

mods: please post the same in the respective topic since am not sure if this is the right one.
Old 17th December 2010, 00:14   #2
BHPian

Re: German dilemma - Polo or Vento

Have you checked the waiting period for both Polo and Vento, I guess you should consider that as well before you book one.

Both are build to last and Polo 1.6 would be more fun to drive compared to Vento considering a hatchback with a powerful engine
Fuel efficiency should be less in Polo as it has a powerful engine
Its too early to comment of cost of ownership as VW it a new entrant to the market. May be few VW owners can comment
On styling both look at par however my vote would go to polo
Old 17th December 2010, 09:36   #3
BHPian

IIRC, both share the same 1.6L engine. Obviously the Polo will be better with more FTD, higher power to weight ratio, can zip/park in town, better fuel efficiency, etc.,

I see only 2 of you travelling, so rear seat comfort/boot may not be important now, but think 2~5 yrs down the line (in 2006, I was exactly the same situation and chose a Swift, but now with a kid, the car/boot is inconvenient).

If rear seat comfort is reqd. you can also consider the Fabia, its got the exact same mechanicals but a better ingress/egress, rear seat and boot.
Old 17th December 2010, 11:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

My pic:

Vento TDI Trendline: It will fit your budget.

I mean Vento in petrol guise is just about average in terms of performance. Even if you don't have usage to justify it, but can afford the car, you should go for the diesel. The 16.TDI engine is a cracker in real world feels faster than any petrol engine in its class (ANHC 1.5i VTEC included). Reason= The high torque gives you a sudden rush making you feel that it is going real fast.

Basically Euros= Diesel unless its a Turbo engine (TSI etc.). The naturally aspirated engines are nothing much to write home about.
Old 17th December 2010, 17:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

@camchennai
Thanks. Looks like Vento would be delivered faster compared to the 1.6 Polo, however have alternate now hence in no great hurry. But here the 1.6 Polo is not even available for a TD whereas the Vento is. Getting feedback on 1.6 owners am a bit inclined towards it as of now.

@airwind
True. Would take this point in consideration. Thanks

@abhiautomobile
Thanks. If it is Vento would definitely choose the TDI and ruling out the petrol. Would the resale value of TDI be less compared to the petrol?
Old 17th December 2010, 17:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. If it is Vento would definitely choose the TDI and ruling out the petrol. Would the resale value of TDI be less compared to the petrol?
Don't bother again. Petrol Euros tank in resale value pretty fast. The diesel should hold its value much better. tI would have recommended the diesel POLO instead had the engine had more juice. Its a 3 pot and can't match the 1.6 TDi for anything!
Old 17th December 2010, 17:30   #7
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Considering you requirement polo 1.6 should be ideal. But 4 trips of 800 each, and 5 to 7 years of ownership then i would suggest you to consider diesel 1.6 Vento. Sedan is more comfortable and will also have the boot option
Old 21st December 2010, 14:26   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks guys,

I would go in for the 1.6 Polo and my brother wud have the Vento TDI. So I guess it would be the best of two car segments (hope so!)

Cheers,
Old 28th January 2011, 17:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

go for vento only if you have excessive luggage when you travel far, otherwise polo is a nice option. being an hatchback it will be easier to park and waiting on polo is less than that of vento.

i suggest you to consider diesel option as your running is quite high, considering the rocketing prices of petrol diesel would be an sensible option.
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:19   #10
BHPian

Hi
Vento and Polo are from the same stable except for the trunk and hatchback diff. waiting is nearly 3 months (atleast in chennai) diesel would be a better bet given your style and if long trips with less luggage then Polo else the Vento
rgd
DP
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:28   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Hi
Vento and Polo are from the same stable except for the trunk and hatchback diff. waiting is nearly 3 months (atleast in chennai) diesel would be a better bet given your style and if long trips with less luggage then Polo else the Vento
rgd
DP
Thanks. Have decided on the 1.6 Polo.

Cheers,
Old 3rd February 2011, 16:02   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
go for vento only if you have excessive luggage when you travel far,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Hi
Vento and Polo are from the same stable except for the trunk and hatchback diff.
Not really. What we have to realise is that the Vento has a superior 4 cylinder diesel engine, which simply isn't offered in the Polo. Where the Polo's 3 cylinder unit is unrefined and suffers from heavy turbo-lag, the 4 cylinder in the Vento has negligible lag and offers stunning performance. It is indeed the best in class.

Even if you don't really need a boot, that extra cylinder might well be worth the upgrade.
Old 3rd February 2011, 16:32   #13
BHPian

All said and done if you don't think you are going to be using the boot too often then you can definitely consider the hatchback. Wait a minute, I think I read you already have! Even if you did decide on a TDI Polo, believe me it would leave you smiling. To believe what this 3 cylinder is capable of, you need to own one. I believe my fellow 1.2 TDI owners will vouch for the same.
Old 3rd February 2011, 17:25   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not really. What we have to realise is that the Vento has a superior 4 cylinder diesel engine, which simply isn't offered in the Polo. Where the Polo's 3 cylinder unit is unrefined and suffers from heavy turbo-lag, the 4 cylinder in the Vento has negligible lag and offers stunning performance. It is indeed the best in class.

Even if you don't really need a boot, that extra cylinder might well be worth the upgrade.
That's my advice to anyone who asks Polo or Vento but he's talking about the Polo 1.6- isn't that the same 4-pot as the Vento? If not then it's a no-contest.

@volkman10- I know it's easy to dismiss the Vento petrol for all the reasons cited in this thread and elsewhere but do test drive it and you will experience nothing but sheer joy! It is a wonderful high-revving engine with none of the noise or turbo lag of a diesel. I have bought one and have no regrets at all!
Old 3rd February 2011, 17:56   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
That's my advice to anyone who asks Polo or Vento but he's talking about the Polo 1.6- isn't that the same 4-pot as the Vento? If not then it's a no-contest.

@volkman10- I know it's easy to dismiss the Vento petrol for all the reasons cited in this thread and elsewhere but do test drive it and you will experience nothing but sheer joy! It is a wonderful high-revving engine with none of the noise or turbo lag of a diesel. I have bought one and have no regrets at all!
Thanks. Considering that you own a Vento petrol and the feedback you have given has brought now bit of consfusion in decision as earlier in the thread the view was citing the petrol version as "guise is just about average in terms of performance".

My requirement currently is city driving and mostly maneuvering through the traffic here. No requirement of a large boot space etc.and not much of inter state driving.
In that context, the decision was tilting to the 1.6 Polo.

My booking will be done in the last week of Feb.

Cheers!

Most Viewed