Team-BHP > What Car?

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2011, 20:05   #1
BHPian

Have an Innova, what can replace it?

Hi,

I have been using an Innova G3 since December 2005. Have done close to 80K on that. Not to say I am a very satisfied and proud owner!!

Now that is it more than 5 years, I am planning to replace it sometime in Aug/Sep. What are the suggestion?

A background is I have been using a MUV all my driving life (Omni, WagonR, Qualis, Innova) and some how I am not comfortable driving (or rather never driven) a Sedan/Hatch.

On a daily basis I do less than 20 Kms, but once in two months, i tend to do a long drive - typically Bangalore-Kerala so assume 1000 kms each trip.

I do not want to spend all my fortune on a replacement, but something that can be a safe replacement for the trusted Innova is what I am looking for.

A loyal Toyota fan since 2004, but not against other brands!

suggestion most welcome...

MOD: If this is not the correct forum, please move it to the most appropriate place.

Cheers!!
Old 21st January 2011, 07:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Have an Innova, what can replace it

The options I can suggest are:

1) Tata Aria
2) Skoda Yeti
3) Xylo
4) Safari.

Not generally in the order of preference. Have you enquired with Toyota about going for a new Innova in place of the old one. As you are already aware its the best war horse around.
Old 21st January 2011, 08:08   #3

Wait for the new MAhindra W201. It is slated for a late 2011 launch
Old 21st January 2011, 10:14   #4
BHPian

I would say either run the old one more (say a few more KM's) or if you really want to change - get another Innova, its a very comfortable vehicle especially on the highway with family around. I am not sure how it would be as a daily drive in city traffic, considering the size of the vehicle. Good Luck.
Old 21st January 2011, 11:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
I would say either run the old one more (say a few more KM's) or if you really want to change - get another Innova, its a very comfortable vehicle especially on the highway with family around. I am not sure how it would be as a daily drive in city traffic, considering the size of the vehicle. Good Luck.
+1 on that.

Drive the existing one till 100K and replace her with a new Innova, unless we have some great MUV hitting our shores by then.

'A Innova can only replace a Innova'
Old 21st January 2011, 11:23   #6
BANNED

Going by your requirements, I guess it is still an Innova which can satisfy you to the fullest. Since you have been experiencing stellar customer service, stay away from brands like TATA and Skoda unless you are desperate to change/replace/upgrade since you will notice too much to be happy.

Use her for another 40-50k kms which she will last easily and then look for at the market again. Something might have come up.

Boy, I wish I could own that T-Fort now.
Old 21st January 2011, 11:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijayks View Post
As others suggested, please wait for some more time and see the new offerings

If you ask me, a Nissan Quest would be a perfect replacement, if it ever comes!!!

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 21st January 2011 at 11:29.
Old 21st January 2011, 11:28   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

As others have commented - only an Innova can replace an Innova - especially in the situation where the consumer is completely satisfied with it.

Aria is too expensive.Yeti is too small. After Sales Service of both can become troublesome.

Either stick with the existing Innova for some more time as others have said, while you await new MUV arrivals in India. Or go for a new Innova and maybe spend some money on customizing it as per your taste!
Old 21st January 2011, 11:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Even I feel it is better to wait till she touches 95,000 to 100,000 kms.

As a result, your wait would extend beyond August - September, and you could take a look at the Maruti R3 MPV scheduled to get launched in early 2012. If you don't like what you see and feel, you could always pick up the 2012 model Innova
Old 21st January 2011, 12:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

There is no substitute for an Innova. In that price bracket and service backup the Innova rules. As suggested either run it for 30-50k more (waiting for better alternatives), or else replace it with a new one now.

All the other alternatives are either more expensive or do not have the stellar reliability+service of Toyota. Of course if you want to splurge, go get a Fortuner. That would give you more bad road capability, but at a slightly harsher ride and fewer passenger comforts. As a Fortuner will take 4-8 months to arrive, you have plenty of time to think about other alternatives.

Edit : It seems that every one is of the opinion that Innova has to be replaced with Innova!

Last edited by Aroy : 21st January 2011 at 12:37.
Old 21st January 2011, 12:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

I will repeat the same.
Only an Innova can replace an Innova.

I will suggest you wait till Toyota kills Innova and launches a replacement product. The way it did for Qualis.

Stay away from other brands now that you are used to reliability of a Toyota and their After sales service.
Old 21st January 2011, 13:31   #12
Team-BHP Support

There's no Innova replacement launched in Thailand so don't expect one here soon.

As Cyrus mentioned the W201 should be something worth waiting for but that's a gamble.
Old 21st January 2011, 14:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Comfortable seating for 7/8 persons - there is no alternative to Innova. Xylo has a bit more last row space but the poor body control translates in more fatigue for driven and passenger. Also unsure if you will like the general fit and finish after getting used to Innova. Other options like scorpio are too cramped and Tavera doesnt stand a chance in the fit and finish race.

I would suggest that you have a look at the new Innova VX model - it is a bit loaded compared to the G3 you currently own and see if you like it.

Coming back to your situation, why do you want to replace your car - it is going to last another 150000 kms and 5 years before it becomes less relaible. Innnova's are known to last for 400000 kms before engine overhauls and generally age well.
Old 21st January 2011, 14:38   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijayks View Post
I have been using an Innova G3 since December 2005. Have done close to 80K on that. Not to say I am a very satisfied and proud owner!!
Quote:
I do not want to spend all my fortune on a replacement
Quote:
I have just the thread for you. Take the afternoon off, read it thoroughly and you've saved yourself 5 - 10 lakhs today : Link

In a nutshell, Keep your Innova. These are known to easily last 200,000 kms....most even over 300,000 kms. You're happy with the car, it's serving you well, and there isn't any fitting replacement, then why bother? Change for the heck of change isn't a good thing. Retain your car and save $$$
Old 21st January 2011, 15:28   #15
BHPian

Hi bijayks

IMHO Innova seems to have no replacement yet and trust me since had a Qualis which was steadfast with me for 120K and then i have given it to my friends for their office use and it is still doing good (not much repairs ,yeah!) . rather Toyota seems to have a unwritten agreements with the owners for not going away. If your car has no probs or issues or manitanance why swap keept it back.

Bye
DP
Closed Thread

Most Viewed