Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2011, 21:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 320d : The Expression of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb View Post
Hi, Am on the verge of booking my 320D CE, its a dream for me, I would like to make sure everything's perfect...
Don't we all? Let's see if I can help you out here.

Quote:
The RFT's...stick to them or check if the dealer can swap them for tubeless and get myself a space saver.
Definitely the second option. Flip back a few pages on this thread to see my solution for the space saver issue. Believe me, the ride will improve drastically. And it is completely worth it.

Quote:
I am stuck between the dark blue and the alpine white.
So were we. Dad's car, dad prevailed, so we got the Monaco Blue. I wanted the white. And yes, a dark colour does definitely take more effort to maintain. If you're up to it, and don't mind a regular polishing schedule or a periodic trip to an exterior detailer, then it's worth it.

Quote:
I do not have a fixed parking at my work place where I would be parking everyday.
Good luck protecting your car from vandals and preserving your emblems.

Now, if I may ask, are you fixed on a sedan only? If you're willing to try the crossover vehicle, I would suggest you have a look (or a second one) at the BMW X1. It's as comfortable as the 3 (maybe a bit more, because of the higher seating), is similarly specced, has good presence and brand value, and the same engine (although slightly less punch due to more bulk as compared to the 3, it's nowhere close to "boring").

But most of all, it's absolutely fresh and will preserve it's resale value for much longer, easily over a period of 5 years, while the 3 is about to be replaced as early as next year, which means it's resale is going to take a hit. Of course, if it's purely driving dynamics you're after, then it's the 3 all the way over the X1, but since you've mentioned that you're more of an urban crawler who doesn't drive too hard... hence the suggestion.
Old 13th February 2011, 22:52   #17
BHPian

Thanks for your reply. Had gone through a number of threads especially this one , and hence the discussion on replacing the RFT's. I should thank you for this. Can you a recommend a single tubeless tire model which I can ask the dealership for, as its been pretty confusing with all the options.

Personally I prefer the white and may want to go ahead with that. Cant spend too much time with the exterior detail.

As for the X1, have TD'd it twice and in fact was the very reason I walked into BMW (A Bimmer at that price!!!- I was in the market for the ANHC or a pre owned Accord). And i agree absolutely with the freshness and re-sale value etc but its just not appealing to the heart as much as the 3. You only need to drive the 320d for a minute and you know this is the better car.

I am not so sure I am sold on the X1, I owned a crossover (Forester) which although doesn't even come close the Bimmer badge and value was a great drivers car. But owning it for so long - 7 yrs, has taken the novelty out driving a crossover.

Out of curiosity, have you driven the X1?, because while its the identical platform and all, its just not as exciting as the 3. This is just my opinion, I'm no expert. Its just that the 3 feels infinitely better. I wonder if its me or do the others feel this way as well but are willing to sacrifice the drive for its "X" Badge and SUV Looks.
Old 13th February 2011, 23:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you a recommend a single tubeless tire model which I can ask the dealership for?
I'm very happy with my Continental CPC2. I wanted a jack-of-all-trades tyre. No low profile with harsh ride, no excessively soft damage-prone sidewall in the name of comfort, good grip and durability, that's all. And these serve that purpose very well. Don't go with ContiSportContact3 (CSC3). Insist on ContiPremiumContact2 (CPC2).

Quote:
Personally I prefer the white and may want to go ahead with that.
Sure. Looks fabulous in white.

Quote:
You only need to drive the 320d for a minute and you know this is the better car.
You're telling me

Quote:
Out of curiosity, have you driven the X1? Because while its the identical platform and all, its just not as exciting as the 3.
Yes, and I agree with your observation. It isn't. That's why, if you're insistent on the driving dynamics, the X1 isn't for you. Just by the way (and I'm saying this only because the 3 is at the end of it's life cycle), go and TD the A4 2.0 TDI and the C250 CDI. If you like one of them better, you're buying a newer and fresher car. Else, there's nothing that comes close to the feel and involvement of the 3.

By the way, the new steering is supposed to be a lot lighter, I don't know how that affects driving feel and feedback. I love the feel on my car with the tight steering, so if the new one feels too disconnected then maybe your experience might be compromised.
Old 14th February 2011, 00:05   #19
BHPian

Thanks. Will speak to the dealer about the tyres. Exactly what I need, "Jack of all trades". I am in fact going to TD the A4 tomorrow for the very reasons which you have mentioned and all the great reviews the A4 has received on this forum. Am not really a fan of the C250.

Another query : I would be driving not more than 10k kms/yr. Does it make sense to get the 5yr/60k BSI for about 2Lacs. The sales rep mentioned that with that kind of driving, not getting the BSI may actually be cheaper. I do understand that you have got the BSI, but then your car is driven a lot more, isn't it? I wonder if you are in touch with anyone who has owned the car for a while giving an insight about the ownership costs?

Appreciate all the help.
Old 14th February 2011, 07:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

@ andyb
If its a 'Jack of all trades' vehicle you are looking for then among the 3 mentioned - 320d, A4 2.0 TDI & C 250 CDI I would say it has to be the C.
The 3 while a hoot to drive,as mentioned before is at the end of its cycle and that apart you will have to go through the ordeal of changing to tubless and buying and keeping a space-saver in your boot to improve ride quality. Even after that i am not sure how close the ride quality gets to the Audi & Merc. Having said that, BMW's BSI & Secure packages makes it a really attractive proposition. The other 2 dont have such meticulous plans is place, Mercedes being the worst in this deparment.

The A4 in the 2.0 TDI guise , as FlyingSpur mentioned, will fail to excite you at all when you drive it. The 2 litre engine is rated at a mere 140bhp (same crdi seen in the Laura,Yeti,Superb) & the A4 is a big and heavy car. This makes the car a tad sluggish and the FWD set up only adds to the uninspiring drive feel. That said, the looks, quality of interiors,styling etc. are unparalleled. If you can live with just sufficient performance, this should do it for you.

Finally the Merc, i thought this would be the best all rounder only as 250 CDI was mentioned. Great engine with 215 hp and 500 NM torque. While that adds great straight-line performance, it still is no fun to drive.Very little feedback from the steering at high speeds. But it is the most comfortable of the 3, & the 250 CDI gets a sufficient list of safety, comfort features etc. So if you can live with the looks (i say so because i find it extremely boring, plain, uninspiring) then this car should keep you happy. Performance + comfort = potent combination IMO.
BUT , with no BSI like package in place, and the most expensive vehicle out of the 3 concerned, you should see if it is still in contention for you.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 14th February 2011 at 07:36.
Old 14th February 2011, 09:07   #21
BHPian

Quote:
If its a 'Jack of all trades' vehicle you are looking for then among the 3 mentioned - 320d, A4 2.0 TDI & C 250 CDI I would say it has to be the C.
I am sorry if you misunderstood, I was referring to the jack of all trades for my tyres. The badge being wooed is the BMW .

Quote:
That said, the looks, quality of interiors,styling etc. are unparalleled. If you can live with just sufficient performance, this should do it for you.
Have heard so many good things things about the styling etc that I am giving it a shot today to satisfy myself that I have covered all my options.

Quote:
Finally the Merc...it still is no fun to drive....So if you can live with the looks (i say so because i find it extremely boring, plain, uninspiring)
You mirror my thoughts, which is why I am not even considering it. It is more like the 320d vs X1 with an outside chance for the A4. What is your take on the X1?

@FlyingSpur

Your car stills looks fantastic. Almost makes me want to change my mind back to the blue

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 21st February 2011 at 23:39. Reason: Merged one-liner with previous post.
Old 14th February 2011, 10:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry if you misunderstood, I was referring to the jack of all trades for my tyres. The badge being wooed is the BMW .

Have heard so many good things things about the styling etc that I am giving it a shot today to satisfy myself that I have covered all my options.

You mirror my thoughts, which is why I am not even considering it. It is more like the 320d vs X1 with an outside chance for the A4. What is your take on the X1?
The X1 IMO is the best example of more for less. Good face, enough presence, SUVish appearance that most in India are in love with along with compact dimensions, even the CE version pretty well featured out (iDrive etc hardly matters!) and a beautiful 2 litre diesel. All this at VFM pricing & its a blockbuster. Pretty soon our streets are going to be full of X1s !
The only area where the 3 would beat the X1 hands down would be driving experience IMO.The X1 though sharing the same platform is out more than half a decade after the 3 (i think) and hence would be a more ,should i say, user-friendly vehicle ? Better ergonomics, slightly more space which the 3 seriously needed,fresh looks would tilt the scales in the X1's favour as the OVERALL better car IMO.
BUT (there always is a 'BUT' isnt it ? ) i stated in the very first point that the 3 would be miles ahead in terms of driving experience and so given a choice i would always opt for the 3 !
Sure the X1 is a brand new model with fresh appeal etc. but frankly the kick one gets by rushing a RWD sedan like the 3 into corners cannot be matched by the SUVs. Not even close! The bodyroll etc. would be too much. Besides which , the X1 would never beg you to go faster like the 3 would. So my vote -
Better car to drive - 3 by miles
Better all rounder/practicality- X1
Old 14th February 2011, 11:13   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Pretty soon our streets are going to be full of X1s !
You said it bro! I still cant get used to the site of so many Superbs on the road, especially in delectable white and rosso brunello shades! Imagine a BMW on every corner- at this price, it's not difficult to!

I love the X1 and the way it's positioned by BMW. True category killer if it catches on.
Old 14th February 2011, 12:38   #24
BHPian

I guess am at the right place. Was hoping not too many people recommend the X1 The 3 its gonna be!. Spoken to the dealers. One is offering a flat discount. The other is giving an exterior package, what he calls the "M3 look", new alloys, carbon fiber look in places, Rear spoiler etc.Details of which he will give me tomorrow. Now, the blood is rushing.
Old 14th February 2011, 14:03   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I guess am at the right place. Was hoping not too many people recommend the X1 The 3 its gonna be!. Spoken to the dealers. One is offering a flat discount. The other is giving an exterior package, what he calls the "M3 look", new alloys, carbon fiber look in places, Rear spoiler etc.Details of which he will give me tomorrow. Now, the blood is rushing.
Congrats AndyB. As I mentioned in your 'what car' thread, you embraced your chance to get bangled. Great going!
Old 14th February 2011, 14:10   #26
BHPian

Re: BMW 320D versus BMW X1 (both Corporate Edition)

Usual BS... didnt they launch X1 CE on day 1?

You are sold on the X1's look and the 3's drive. How often do you get to exploit the 3's chassis on Indian roads? I'd pick the X1 as its new platform and you wouldnt feel obsolete after spending 30 large ones!!!

Quote:
Just test drove both the cars at Infinity this afternoon. As practical as it the X1 may sound, its not pulling the right strings for me. The 320D on the other hand is something you just take to instantly. I dont know if its me, but I still love its looks.

I'm guessing the new 3 wont be in India till mid next year. The sales rep mentioned that they do not expect a CE version instantly as the car would sell itself initially and a CE would be launched only later. (This could just be him pushing a sale but I guess it does make sense from a company point of view).

Giving myself a day or two to decide... Going to Test Drive the new A4 tomorrow. But its the Bimmer that I always wanted. Anybody with their 2 cents?..
Old 14th February 2011, 14:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

@Andy, here is a teaser on what she looks like
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320D versus BMW X1 (both Corporate Edition)-dsc01011.jpg  

BMW 320D versus BMW X1 (both Corporate Edition)-dsc01012.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 14th February 2011, 15:35   #28
BHPian

Re: BMW 320D versus BMW X1 (both Corporate Edition)

Thanks, You're right in terms of practicality and value, and also freshness of a product you can get no better than the X1. Have already TD'd it and while its not boring or anything, its a pretty simple crossover and no more. Doesn't give you the sporty 320D feel. Also, not close to being an SUV. Its more the look of an SUV + the "X" that precedes the 1 that is working for it. To me, its more like a jacked up 3 Series Touring kind of package but with much better looks, form and presence.

Was my preference till I really drove the 320D, which is why I am giving it another shot tomorrow. Its the VFM package, no doubt about that. What I think is that it lacks the fun or should I say "joy" of the 3.

If I do choose the 320d, I will selfishly hope for a couple of things.., which may very well be true

1. The New 3 not be lauched in India till mid 2012 - which may be the case
2. It will be more expensive, considering the newer technology and gizmos.
3. A CE not be introduced for a couple of years (this I seriously doubt) because it just selling itself

All in all, I think my preference is obvious, especially when I begin to put it in words on this forum. But am going to TD the X1 tomorrow one more time tomorrow and know.
Old 14th February 2011, 16:55   #29
BHPian

Nice, Very Nice!!! But do you think this would makes up for a 1L + break in price. Doubt it. Unless the interiors have something going for it in a big way. What do you think?

Btw, @ vb-san You are a true blue Bangle Fan. Like it

Guys, Any recommendations on the insurance front which company etc. These guys have quoted me some obscene 90k for bumper to bumper. Should I negotiate a rate with them or get it done elsewhere?
Old 14th February 2011, 18:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...you will have to go through the ordeal of changing to tubless and buying and keeping a space-saver in your boot to improve ride quality.
I would hardly call it an "ordeal" !!

Quote:
Your car stills looks fantastic. Almost makes me want to change my mind back to the blue
Thank you Andy, but it's a pain to maintain. It is.

Quote:
Better car to drive - 3 by miles
Better all rounder/practicality- X1
Perfectly summarized.

Quote:
One is offering a flat discount. The other is giving an exterior package, what he calls the "M3 look", new alloys, carbon fiber look in places, rear spoiler etc.
I'd negotiate for both. The car is really, really, really old now. And it looks nice, but it's not the "M3" look Look at taranonline's thread for some nice-looking exterior mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
@Andy, here is a teaser on what she looks like.
Sushil, what's with those alloys? They just took the worst alloys design award for the E90. Don't tell me they're the new CE alloys !!

Quote:
Guys, Any recommendations on the insurance front which company etc. These guys have quoted me some obscene 90k for bumper to bumper. Should I negotiate a rate with them or get it done elsewhere?
If you don't want Secure, get an external quote from BA / Tata AIG and they'll match it. I got insurance for ~45k, but without Secure, of course. Approach Tata AIG for their quote on bumper-to-bumper.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks