Team-BHP > What Car?

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2011, 13:08   #1
BHPian

BMW 320D versus BMW X1 (both Corporate Edition)

Hi,

I have narrowed down my choices to really these 2 cars and have test driven both of them. The Superb and Accord etc are not options, nor the C Class. A4 would be crossing my maxed out 25 - 26L Budget

320 D Sedan

Pros
Way too much fun to drive
Price - They are offering a discount of over a lac at the moment.

Cons
The only con for me is the fact that the 3 series has run its course with the new one to be launched in Europe this September and I am guessing in India a year from now. This car is an expensive, stretched to the limit purchase for me and I would keep it for 4 - 5 yrs . I am not sure I would want to see a dated looking car in my garage for a good part of this tenure and also have its value crash. On the other hand who knows if and when BMW will launch a CE version of the new 3 series.

X1

Pros
Great Price, Good Looks. More Space
New model, wont be replaced for a long while.

Cons
I did not find it as engaging to drive as the sedan.
Its neither an SUV nor a sedan.

Personally, I would prefer to own and drive the 3 series sedan, the X1 does not enthuse me as much primarily due to its compact "SUV" concept. Reminds me of my Chevrolet Forester, which though a brilliant car in terms of driving has this identity crisis.. I still own it.

Would appreciate great feedback from you guys....
Old 11th February 2011, 13:34   #2
BHPian

Re: 320D CE vs X1 CE

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb View Post
X1

Cons
Its neither an SUV nor a sedan.

.... a brilliant car in terms of driving has this identity crisis.. I still own it.

Would appreciate great feedback from you guys....
The Con you have mentioned can be looked upon as a pro also, right ?
It has both - giving you a sedan like drive comfort as well as the capacity to venture on bad roads or go a little 'off the track', if you will. (Read those ladakh or desert land venturing thrills.) Makes a whole lot of sense from a practical standpoint.

You wont be able to do this in the sedan version.
x1 has a better backseat comfort as well as more space than the 3.

If you are only thinking the drivers seat on good roads and nothing else - the 3 it has to be.

Also, i dont think the x1 would ever have an identitiy crisis like the forester simply because of the Beemer tag, if nothing else.

I would suggest the x1 (and ya, sell the Forester).

Last edited by jigbarai : 11th February 2011 at 13:36.
Old 11th February 2011, 14:10   #3
BHPian

Thank your for your prompt reply. The car would be mainly good roads(if you can call Mumbai roads that). Maybe a Pune trip a couple of times a year. It would be driven mainly by me, and my wife on "dont drink and drive" nights.! I don't think I would ever sit in the back seat.

Like i said my main concern is the all new 3 series which is quite an overhaul, else I would have just bought the sedan. Do you think its a valid reason to skip the current 3 series and go in for the X1. Is my concern legitimate or am i being too paranoid?

Does the handling of the X1 comes close to the Sedan? Think I will TD it again this weekend.

I would sell the Forester, just worry what I might get offered for it , so I just keep it and drive it once a week. Its clocked only 50k kms in all these long years.
Old 11th February 2011, 15:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Do you like simple or complicated answers?

If simple: X1 for you.

It is almost as much fun as 3 series but in a more value for money and new package. It will not give you any feeling of owning an old car either. Go for 2.0d CE.
Old 11th February 2011, 17:45   #5
BHPian

I know Abhi, what you say makes sense. Guess no one will really recommend the 320 D at this point.
Old 11th February 2011, 20:23   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 320D versus BMW X1 (both Corporate Edition)

X1 definitely have the x-factor - of being a new model, and has all the convenience of a crossover.
But since you're someone who have kept the Forrester for so long, I feel that 320D can indeed be a good fit for you (eventhough, the new 3 could be in next year). This could be your chance of getting a piece of Bangled art!
Old 11th February 2011, 20:44   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

X1 baby!

It's hot off the shelves, has everything that the 3 has (Correct me if wrong) and looks adorable. Get the Marrakesh Brown or the Blue- they look awesome on the road. 3s have become common in recent years and don't stand out as much!
Old 11th February 2011, 20:54   #8
BHPian

X1 would be a better option considering the fact that it’s fresh and new from BMW.

However I would want to know whether your options are limited only to BMW?? If not, I can suggest you to look for Nissan Teana or Yeti.
Old 11th February 2011, 22:06   #9
BHPian

I had a similar dilemma choosing between the Laura and the Yeti. Between them the comparison is analogous to the comparison between the 3 and the X1.

I finally choose the Yeti for 2 reasons: practicality and freshness.

My recommendation to you would be on the same line. The X1 because it is more practical in terms of GC etc. and it is the new kid on the block !!
Old 11th February 2011, 22:37   #10
BHPian

Frankly the teana, accord or camry are not options. I am not looking for an exceptionally large car. To me it would be between the a4 and 320 d. The A4is way above what I would want to spend. It would have to be pre owned.

Yeti, is out as well. I own a Laura and I think one skoda is enough to handle.

If the 3 series had another couple of years left, I would have grabbed it. Waiting for the all new 3 maybe pointless as it may be more expensive and again it's not clear at what point would they introduce a CE.

I think I will have to look for the X Factor in the X1. Have asked for a TD this Monday. Fingers crossed.
Old 11th February 2011, 22:47   #11
BHPian

@andyb

I am exactly in the same dilemna. X1 or 320D. I totally understand what you mean by X1 being not as engaging as 320D from the driver's perspective. Though X1 seems more practical and many of our fellow Tbhpians recommend it (and I respect that), my suggestion would be to wait for few months till the new 3-series comes out and then go for it. You are going to drive it a lot and although you would get used to whatever you buy eventually, buying what you really want from heart will make you happy everytime you rev the engine. Yup. I vote for a new 3-series. Wait for it :-)

Cheers
Old 12th February 2011, 01:17   #12
BHPian

I get you buddy. And you penned my thoughts exactly. The only difference is that due to some unusual circumstances I have to kind of buy or in the case of the X1 at least book the car before March end. So I have to more or less decide between the current models. Honestly am hoping the X1 works for me, because the 3 series in its current avatar seems like something I may llok at with a lil sorrow in less than year... Going to TD a pre owned A4 this weekend but don't see myself buying it.
Old 13th February 2011, 16:03   #13
BHPian

Just test drove both the cars at Infinity this afternoon. As practical as it the X1 may sound, its not pulling the right strings for me. The 320D on the other hand is something you just take to instantly. I dont know if its me, but I still love its looks.

I'm guessing the new 3 wont be in India till mid next year. The sales rep mentioned that they do not expect a CE version instantly as the car would sell itself initially and a CE would be launched only later. (This could just be him pushing a sale but I guess it does make sense from a company point of view).

Giving myself a day or two to decide... Going to Test Drive the new A4 tomorrow. But its the Bimmer that I always wanted. Anybody with their 2 cents?..
Old 13th February 2011, 16:23   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb View Post
Giving myself a day or two to decide... Going to Test Drive the new A4 tomorrow. But its the Bimmer that I always wanted. Anybody with their 2 cents?..
Go with your heart, and get the 320d. Just my 2 cents!
Old 13th February 2011, 18:17   #15
BHPian

Re: BMW 320d : The Expression of Joy

I have a few queries.

1)The RFT's : The car will be mainly used for city use. It would not be driven around a lot, nor very hard maybe 10-12k /year, and I was wondering whether I should stick to them or check if the dealer can swap them for tubeless and get myself a space saver.

2)The Colour : I am stuck between the dark blue and the alpine white. Are the darker colors really much more difficult to maintain? How so? I have a couple of white cars, and in fact they seem to look messy with the smallest damage or scratches. But then again these have been chauffeur driven and not been maintained by me personally. I do not have a fixed parking at my work place where I would be parking everyday. And have more than my share of frustrating key marks on my cars.

Would appreciate if you guys can share your experience here...

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 21st February 2011 at 23:38. Reason: Content suitably edited to reflect context of this thread.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed