Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 14:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Finalized to buy my first car, need a little help here

Hi Shridhar,

Like everyone has mentioned, you need to re-think on the options.
For your kind of running, Petrol would be the best bet. Figo suits your description to the 'T'. However, since you mentioned that the front panels touch your knees, it may not be best suitable (for you).

Even i would suggest that you have a look in the pre worshiped cars segment. You get loads to choose from if that happens. (Heck, you could even get a sedan in that budget).

Indica DLS or Vista? My vote goes for the Vista anyday, simply because the DLS looks dated (to me).

That said, all the best in finding the right steed. Happy searching.
Old 21st February 2011, 15:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

I would have obviously said go for Vista ahead of Figo, but Figo has a killer price tag.

And regarding choosing Indica over Vista, is something you should reconsider a zillion times. Being an owner of a Vista, I can surely say that the Vista is far better than the old Indica in every damn thing. Vista also has the national engine of India from Fiat. Vista is more spacious, looks better than the Indica.

Cost factor differentiates the two, but you dont buy a car everyday.
Old 21st February 2011, 16:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
How did you plan to buy CNG i10 in Pune?

I would vote for vista quadra.

Since indica is 1 of your final choice, few questions for you:
You say that wangon R is too common, but feel that indica is not?
WagonR has less features, but feel that indica provides all those missing features?

I guess you should re think your options.
I Agree that Indica also does not have anything much to offer and is the most common car on road, but we are talking a diesel avalable for 4.2 Lacs Vs Wagon R beng petrol
Old 21st February 2011, 16:05   #19
BHPian

Thanks for all the comments here, i really appreciate it, this leaves me only 1 choice the i10 Sportz Petrol (New of course), any chance if i can get a CNG
I am not interested in going for a used car.
Old 21st February 2011, 16:42   #20
BHPian

Go for the base model of i10.
You can add the required options (Remote Lock/Alloys etc) according to your needs/budget.

1.1 iRDE (If you are tight on budget) 3.6L approx
1.2 VTVT (Slightly costlier but better engine) 4.25L approx

Petrol is costly but Diesel cars are costlier to buy & maintain.

Please don't buy an Indica DLS in 2011. Amen.
Old 21st February 2011, 16:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Why would you go for an Indica Turbo. It is a 13 year old car and engine. I get a gut feeling that irrespective of your need, you are 'swayed' a lot by the option of buying a diesel at cheap price. If it has to be an Indica for you, it needs to be Quadrajet. Else, you can look at petrols too. Just fill it an run it; don't keep on looking at the fuel meter gauge Else, just try to entend your budget a lil and get Ritz LDi.

Else, if you insist on alternate fuel and don't want to buy Indica. Get a petrol and convert to CNG. There are a couple of samples on the forum (Maglev has one) http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...onversion.html. Remember, if going the CNG way, try getting a car with atleast decent power on tap. Else, you will be dissatisfied with performance. In his case, the 1.2 K series is a good engine so will hold CNG conversion well. Maybe wait for new Swift and get it converted to CNG.

Better still, since you are ona tight budget, buy a petrol (say new Swift), enjoy running for as long as you can, when the running goes beyond your budget, convert to CNG.
Old 21st February 2011, 17:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments here, i really appreciate it, this leaves me only 1 choice the i10 Sportz Petrol
I am not sure you can get a CNG version. I may be wrong though. But i10 is the best car when it comes to Petrol and city driving. The AT i10 is by the best car for driving in the city. I have plans to sell my Swift VDI to get a i10 AT by this year end. I want my Jetta to drive the long trips while i want the i10 to be driven by both me and my wife.

For me i10 has the best steering, best gear system, fantastic space for such a small looking car and a very peppy handling withing the city. The AT takes the comfort to a different level where one has to only worry about steering and braking.
Old 21st February 2011, 17:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Keep in mind that the so called calculated number of Kms to be covered in a month go for a toss when you actually get the car. Expect a increase of 200 kms once you actually get the car. The convenience of car makes you go to places where you will think twice before going.

Also if you love highway jaunts then consider even greater increase in the number of kms.

And if going for diesel go for Vista instead of DLS. And if going for petrol, then go for i10.
Old 21st February 2011, 18:04   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats shridhar. You have reasoned correctly that you need a car at this phase of your life. Bikes have become increasingy dangerous and I would not advise anyone to commute on one in Pune, especially if the highway is on your daily route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post

Criteria: With Growing petrol prices, petrol engines are out of question, CNG or Diesel is the way to go for now
I don't agree with this assessment. Assuming you drive 1500 km/month (light to moderate usage) you will burn approximately 125 litres of petrol or 100 litres of diesel. That's 3000 Rs/month more *at the most* if you go petrol over diesel. Assuming you pay a premium of 70K for the diesel over petrol, that's a whole 2 years before you break even, not to mention the noise and vibration of a diesel engine, which is not for everybody. I am also unsure about maintenance costs of diesel vs petrol (the former are generally considered higher maintenance).

The i10 VTVT petrol is what I recommend you get. I think it's called the Magna 1.2 or some such (Hyundai needs to sharpen its nomenclature strategy- it's very confusing that VTVT doesn't feature in the product name!)

If you must go diesel, for God's sake look at the Vista Quadrajet which is a generation ahead in look & feel and performance than the old Indica DTS!
Old 21st February 2011, 18:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
not to mention the noise and vibration of a diesel engine, which is not for everybody
Err.. I am not sure what noise and vibration you are talking about. Swift, Indica, Figo and a whole dozen of new age diesel cars dont even feel like diesel cars. 98% of my friends thought my car was a petron untill i told them it was a diesel. The new age cars just make your statement a Myth that is busted.

Quote:
I am also unsure about maintenance costs of diesel vs petrol (the former are generally considered higher maintenance).
Check some of the Diesel Swift maintenance or long term ownership threads to understand the service cost and spares cost. At an average one ends up spending close to 3000-4000 ever 10K km service and around 2k for 5K kms service. First three services are usually free and this translates to comparable maintenance cost with respect to Petrol.

And the best aspect about diesel cars are their resale value. A 2 year old petrol car may fetch 50K less than a similar conditioned Diesel.
Old 21st February 2011, 18:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

If I were in your shoes, I would also have a quick look at the used car market to see if there are any worthwhile buys to drive around town.
In Pune, the WagonR is a hoot to drive around, and there are some good deals available on these.

If you want to buy a new car, you may want to consider if you intend to sell your Estate in the near future. I am not saying you should sell it, only consider if you will sell it. if so, you could go for one car in the garage instead of two (of course based on your priorities). This may help you stretch your budget in case you are considering cars such as the Fiesta or SX4 (in that range)
Old 21st February 2011, 19:00   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Err.. I am not sure what noise and vibration you are talking about. Swift, Indica, Figo and a whole dozen of new age diesel cars dont even feel like diesel cars. 98% of my friends thought my car was a petron untill i told them it was a diesel. The new age cars just make your statement a Myth that is busted.
VW2010, is it a myth? From my experience, Diesel engines are noisier and vibrate more than Petrol engines, like to like. I observed this when I TDed both variants of the Vento as well as the Skoda Laura. Have not yet driven a Passat so will take your word for it, unless you give me a test drive sometime .

Anyway I have nothing against diesels: was just pointing out that OP's firm conviction that petrols were not an option because of the higher cost of the fuel was not necessarily correct.
Old 21st February 2011, 19:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VW2010, is it a myth? From my experience, Diesel engines are noisier and vibrate more than Petrol engines
Agreed Noopster. I meant it in a way that these new age engines dont feel noisier or transmit a lot of vibration to the passengers that they almost resemble a petron engine.

But the Ford Figo petrol engine sounds a lot louder than many other petrol engines i have seen.

And I have a Jetta and can confirm that the only sound of the engine whining can be heard after around 100kmph. And for the passengers Vibration is definitely a myth

My intent was to say that one need not avoid diesel thinking it vibrates more and is noiser compared to diesel. May be pre Swift era diesels were definitely a nuisance to the passengers. But the post swift VDI era has been a blessing for diesel heads (and not to foget the Pete's tuning boxes available for the turbo diesel's)
Old 21st February 2011, 19:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

@ shridhar.s.i,
Since you were looking for a diesel hatch, I would suggest you to go for Indica Vista QJT Terra which will cost you 4.9lakh OTR Pune. Its a spacious, comfortable car with tried and tested diesel engine. Sure you will miss on some goodies but you can always add them as and when your budget permits.

In case you have decided to go in for a petrol hatch, I would suggest you to have a look at following cars, may be one more time.
1. Micra XE Plus ~ 4.85L
2. i20 1.2 Era. ~ 5.15L

Last edited by HammerHead : 21st February 2011 at 19:36.
Old 21st February 2011, 20:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Micra XE Plus ~ 4.85L
Micra is getting some not so good reviews from my friends. Everybody hates the rattles and noisy interior as well as the not so powerful engine.

Even a car enthusiast who owns a Merc, and sold his swift to buy the Micra felt it was a disaster.

i10 or i20 - Either of them are fantastic cars but i fell i 10 is more VFM than the i20.

Most Viewed