Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 20:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Finalized to buy my first car, need a little help here

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
And the best aspect about diesel cars are their resale value. A 2 year old petrol car may fetch 50K less than a similar conditioned Diesel.
Considering the initial average difference of around 80K in the acquisition cost, is 50K a decent amount? Perhaps it depends on the age of the vehicle in question.

I have no doubt on the efficiency of the diesels, but IMHO the primary reason for buying diesels remains the lower running cost. If the diesel and petrol prices were similar, it would be interesting to see if the average car buyer would continue to buy diesels, but that is
Old 22nd February 2011, 03:40   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But i10 is the best car when it comes to Petrol and city driving.
+1 .

The i10 is indeed a very much fun to drive hatch in the city. As a daily commuter, it almost fills all the check box's.
  • Great, responsive, revv friendly Engine
  • Slick Gearbox
  • Light Clutch
  • Light, and decent response from steering
  • Decent Space
  • Nice Interiors
  • Small size for ease of parking
  • Decent FE
  • 'City' Looks
Though I have found it not-so-comfortable on long drives.
Old 22nd February 2011, 11:15   #33
Senior - BHPian

@Selfdrive.

I agree and i dare say(contradict my previous statement) that on the long run both diesel and petrol will even out when it comes to the money spent on driving and maintaining the car.

I guess as humans we tend to fell a little relaxed(satisfied and happy) filling the tank for 2K instead of 4K(in case of petrol). That too we often do it every week . The initial 1l(Extra) we pay for the diesel engines do not hurt us as much as paying over 2K for filling the tanks. "Sitrinbam" as they say in tamizh matters more for us, Humans
Old 22nd February 2011, 11:23   #34

If I were you, my choices would be as follows:-
First - i 10 (model within budget)
Second - Wagon R (Petrol)
Third - Beat (may consider shifting this option to no.2 spot)
Fourth - Figo (Diesel)
Fifth - Indiaca Quadrajet
Sixth - DLS (only because you have it on your list)

No point buying a diesel car, if u end up clocking 1000 odd Km/month. Cheers!
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:51   #35
BHPian

I have an Indica DLS Turbo for 4 years. I have also seen a Vista. There is considerable improvement in Vista, and obviously the price is also higher. Since the quadrajet engine is more refined, it also means a better fuel efficiency.

Now, although i have not had any problems with my DLS, i would still suggest a Vista Quadrajet as the driving experience is far better. Also, if you are going to keep the car for say 5 yrs or more, then all the more justified to invest a little extra for that long term satisfaction.

However, if budget is a major constraint, and you feel you will not feel bad about not paying 80k extra to get a better car, then the DLS is also a good bet. Its just an old bet!
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Adding on to my previous post.
If you are actually looking for a petrol then my recommendation goes like this.
1. i10
2. i20
3. Wagon R
4. Swift ( PRE FACELIFT)
5. Vista

if you are going diesel there is no beating the figo.
If you can wait a couple of months then the new swift is definately worth waiting for.
Old 22nd February 2011, 14:57   #37
Senior - BHPian

@ shridhar.s.i,
Looks like i10 Sportz GLS is what you are looking at right now. You are also thinking of CNG option to save on fuel cost right? Then why not Vista QJT Terra which will cost you exactly same?

IMO Vista QJT Terra is what you should go for. I would have also suggested you Figo Diesel LXi but then you are not happy with the space it provides at the front.

Best of luck

Last edited by HammerHead : 22nd February 2011 at 14:58.
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:39   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I have no doubt on the efficiency of the diesels, but IMHO the primary reason for buying diesels remains the lower running cost.
AND...
There is a secondary reason of high torque at low RPM which in simple word mean Better drivability in city traffic. It is a real soother to chuck along with lower number of gear shifts in city traffic.

Quote:
@Selfdrive... that on the long run both diesel and petrol will even out when it comes to the money spent on driving and maintaining the car.
Modern day diesel engine do NOT require higher frequency of maintenance or costly maintenance at all.
That is why all cars from mid range to upper mid range employ these engines e.g Vista to SX4.
If Punto is over your budget and your major driving is in city VISTA-QJD is the way to go. You'll get almost similar space and fun. NVH levels are also not a concern as the insulation is sufficient.

Cheers
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

Absolute no for the Indica, when you have so many good options and well within the price range

As many have put here, my choice would also be for the following

1. i10
2. Beat Petrol
3. Wagon R (The new one is actually pretty decently loaded and at a evry good price)
4. The Zen Estilo, though it may resemble a Nano, is actually a very good car as well. They were also giving a discount of about 25k sometime back and the top model comes with very good features, even the electrically controlled ORVMs, which I miss on the Beat. And is a good car in a good package

Best

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 22nd February 2011 at 16:26.
Old 22nd February 2011, 21:06   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
I Agree that Indica also does not have anything much to offer and is the most common car on road, but we are talking a diesel avalable for 4.2 Lacs Vs Wagon R beng petrol
afaik, we have wagonR CNG. And with the list you have provided, it will confuse anyone that you are also interested in petrol. Basically your list should have WagonR, WaggyDuo, WaggyCNG etc.
Old 22nd February 2011, 21:20   #41
BHPian

I would also agree with the others on the benefits of the I10. I recently had to shortlist a car within the Rs 5 lakh budget and after testing different vehicles, I ended up buying the I10 1.2 VTVT Kappa 2 in December 2010. If you want to read my (rather lengthy) ownership experience, check it out at:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2181271

In that thread, I have also included my 3 FE tests, besides comparing the difference of running a petrol car v/s a diesel car, all of which may be of use to you.

In any case, all the very best in your purchase. All cars that you have shortlisted have their strengths and are worthy contenders to occupy that coveted slot in your garage.
Old 22nd February 2011, 21:30   #42
BHPian

Hello All,
Thanks for all the honest responses,
I never knew an Indica DLS will stir up so much discussion enjoyed all the arguments,
I spoke to couple of my friends in office as well and they have also suggested what many folks have suggested here - i10
Many people even asked me to Stay away from TATA Cars
So now i need to go and take a test drive of the i10, i have Sportz GLS in mind but i have heard Asta is sold less in number so will have better offers,I know it exceeds my budget but hey the features it offers is good and also as some people mentioned here, we dont buy a car daily ..so i can afford to postpone the purchase date a little (to save more) if that car leaves a mark in my mind
And i have no problems with hyundai since many people in my family use it and also folks in my area have it

But what are the initial accesories we need to fix if we are buying an i10, so that i will take a quote on that as well

Awaiting ur responses..

Cheers
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:52   #43
Senior - BHPian

Good choice shridhar. I would surely recommend you to stretch your budget a bit and go for Asta. The new i10 Asta variant is loaded to the brim with very good features. You'll have to spend very liitle on the accessories. The only major thing you'll need will be sun films. Rest is already company fitted.
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

Why not the i10 sportz automatic?
The way pune traffic is headed, it would be wise to invest in an auto box for a stress free city drive.
Old 23rd February 2011, 13:38   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
Hello All,

But what are the initial accesories we need to fix if we are buying an i10, so that i will take a quote on that as well

Awaiting ur responses..

Cheers
To begin with, the accessories would depend on the model that you buy. I would very broadly divide them under three heads for you.

First - the Basics - Music System. If not pre-fitted, a music system is a must. Then comes Window Films, fog lamps (Basics if in Delhi or other parts of the country that have fog), and car perfume.

The second set would be 'Nice to have' - List may include - rear parking sensors, seat covers, fender/bumper guards, etc.

The third category would be - 'I still have some money' - GPS, Alloys, wheel upgrade, seat covers (upgraded ones), ICE , etc.

Slot your requirements! I am sure for each of the accessory mentioned above, you can find a complete thread for further research!

Most Viewed