Senior - BHPian

Re: Finalized to buy my first car, need a little help here

Cough, cough.

Some water please!

gulp gulp gulp

Ok..

WHAT?

Cough again.

I so wish to post only the above words but that will perhaps be against TBHP rules.

During the last few days whenever I spotted a Waggie on road, I remembered you and thought about body kit, a combo with @Anvancy's Waggie etc etc. Oh lost dreams..

Hey the current Swift is a gem of a vehicle and you can go wrong with it. There is no doubt about its road presence, handling and performance. Moreover the the waiting period may be equally long for the new swift whenever it is launched.

Shall I, rather can I say congratulations?

Last edited by dot : 22nd May 2011 at 00:02.
Old 22nd May 2011, 09:26   #122
Senior - BHPian

Classic example of a new car purchase. Congratulations on booking a SWIFT. Which dealer are you dealing with ?
Old 22nd May 2011, 13:45   #123
Senior - BHPian

Hey shridhar, congrats yaar (again!).
From the driver's seat perspective , the Swift simply fits all drivers like a glove. Its the passenger space I am a bit worried about! I am the tallest person in my household currently (even though I am only 5'6) , and even then my folks complain about the tight back seat.
Which colour are they offering you ? I hope its white (I am a bit partial towards it) or Sunlight Copper.
Do let me know if you want to know anything else about the Swift 1.2. I bought one last year (Ownership Report :) , and I am pretty satisfied with the purchase.
Old 22nd May 2011, 15:59   #124
BHPian

Well ! when i posted the update i knew the usual suspects would definitely react and so i was on-guard for this (Except that mdsaab has made no comments, he will also want to have a piece of me after reading the update)
Now all that said and done, the promise of loading my car with accesories is something that still i stand by, but now it will take a little more time as i overshot my purchase cost by 60K
@Noopster: Thanks for tyre size calculator, it helped
I plan to go for Silverline 15" wheels + Bridgestone Potenza 205/65 R15 tyres (i know it is 4.65% difference) but here is the question, what does exactly happen when we cross the 2.5% mark on upsizing, they say it would cause speedo/odo errors but as long as safety and life of components is not compromised we should be fine with it right?
help
Old 22nd May 2011, 21:30   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
I plan to go for Silverline 15" wheels + Bridgestone Potenza 205/65 R15 tyres (i know it is 4.65% difference) but here is the question, what does exactly happen when we cross the 2.5% mark on upsizing, they say it would cause speedo/odo errors but as long as safety and life of components is not compromised we should be fine with it right?
help
Buddy, I repeat, try to avoid POTENZAS. Go for XM+1 from MICHELIN or TURANZA ER 60 from Bridgestone or ACCELERE from Apollo.
The general up-size for 15" is 195/60/R15.
Please refer this thread for more details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-swift-11.html

Have fun.
Old 23rd May 2011, 06:33   #126
Senior - BHPian

Great on the spot decision making shridhar! I hope for you long term usage you gave ensured that the legroom is adequate for your needs. Sometimes it can be a surprise if you have driven a tall boy before
Nevertheless the drivers seat of the Swift is the only place I would want to be
Have you verified the VIN and done a thorough PDI yet?
Old 23rd May 2011, 08:40   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Sridhar check out the Swift tyres thread- tons of useful stuff in there. I have Yoko A drives in 185/70R14 but you can safely go 195/60R15 which is within the permissible tolerance. 4.65% is too much of a difference- it will probably affect your ride quality adversely.
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:45   #128
Senior - BHPian

Sridhar man...Whats going on?

Now please dont change the decision after this. Swift is one heck of a car and IMHO, its the best product from MS in India in the hatch category. I just love that K series engine. Its got the roar plus its FE. Congratulations!!!

BTW, thanks to Noopster, I was at Car Cupid on last Saturday. I was there for about 1-2 hrs and got few things done for my Vista.

1) Front windshield sun film- Brand : Global Film : Diamond 70 Price: 3800
2) New Number Plates, Embossed ones with the "IND" hologram Price: 1100
3) Door guards for 4 doors: Price: FREE
4) Car cleaning Exterior+Interior Price: 150

Overall, the experience was pretty good and the owner Sumit Wadhva is knowledgeable and quite friendly. Morever, he knows Team BHP and he gave me handsom discount on the final bill. At the time of paying the final, he whispered in my ears and said "Sir, this is Team BHP discount, please dont tell others." The place was quite crowded and thats why the whispering.

I suggest you too go to Car Cupid and get a quote from him for all things that you need for your i10-> Sorry Ritz -> Sorry WagonR -> Sorry SWIFT.
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:06   #129
Senior - BHPian

Shridhar, even though the experts are pitching in , heres my $.02 also, do get the A-pillar and the b-pillar blackened out with vinyls. The LXi doesnt have it and IMHO, it looks rather good.
Also, in my personal experience, you should stick to 185/70R14s, preferably something with softer sidewalls, as otherwise an already harsh ride quality will get harsher, the direct effect of which is rattles. Just my opinion. Saves from the warranty hassles also.

Quote:
Its got the roar plus its FE.
My Swift 1.2K has got the FE, but no roar! Infact, I am getting the urges to get an exhaust job done these days.
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:47   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
Shridhar, even though the experts are pitching in , heres my $.02 also, do get the A-pillar and the b-pillar blackened out with vinyls. The LXi doesnt have it and IMHO, it looks rather good.
Also, in my personal experience, you should stick to 185/70R14s, preferably something with softer sidewalls, as otherwise an already harsh ride quality will get harsher, the direct effect of which is rattles. Just my opinion. Saves from the warranty hassles also.

My Swift 1.2K has got the FE, but no roar! Infact, I am getting the urges to get an exhaust job done these days.
Have to agree with Sajo, tires with hard side walls make the already harsh ride on swift more harsh,which is directly proportional to the rattles.
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:13   #131
Senior - BHPian

WOW! Is that a surprise or what! Fantastic on the spot decision making there.
You know when you spoke about soo many accessories and mods, i was thinking that maybe the swift is a better option it's known to be one of the most MOD friendly cars and lots of folks have customized them to no end. The only thing keeping me from recommending the swift was the space issue, and since you were not too happy with the ritz i thought better not even mention the Swift. But hey, you sat in it, you found it comfy what more can you ask for. It's a fantastic choice and the K series engine won't let you down. Yes the New Swift is around the corner and is going to obviously be better. But the current Gen Swift is a real Gem of a Driver's car, and you really can't go wrong with it. If your heart says YES ~ Then there should be nothing stopping you. GO FOR IT!

Now coming down to the particular allotted example.

Is this a fixed car which you have to take?
I hope this is not the case. You should be able to pick the example you want, and more importantly it would be better if this is not an example parked in the dealer stockyard. Please clarify on these issues ASAP.
Just had a bad experience with an i20 picked up by a relative.
It went back to the ASC 3 times within the week that it was purchased for AC issues.
Infact just went back today for the fourth time even after Gas was replaced and Compressor replaced the AC fails to cool the cabin.
Ofcourse this probably is partly due to my very wise Uncle who actually took the delivery on Friday the 13th! i mean who does that? Also he did not do a thorough PDI and was more interested in the Aux - USB connectivity rather than the car itself, well yeah he is a huge audio freak but hey you are buying a car not a music system.

Anyways being the BHPian that you are, i am sure this kind of scenario is not going to happen, and i knock wood for the same.

So what do you have to do?

1. I trust the famed Team-BHP PDI list is already printed and read over a couple of times.
2. When at the Stockyard ~ You must insist on a short drive around in the stockyard just to check for anything odd. You will switch on the AC during this short spin to make sure it's cooling effectively and there are no weird noises from anywhere.
3. Roll up and down the windows to make sure they are winding up and down well.
4. Click snap of VIN or note it down and check vehicle details on Team-BHP VIN thread.
5. Also switch on and off the car a couple of times.
6. Try and take your known sales representative with you, he seem to be a nice guy and will not complain much while you check out the car until you are fully satisfied.
7. Once all the above are done and you are completely satisfied with the car ~ It's now YOUR chosen car, click a few snaps - all around. comes in handy, especially since some dude is going to drive the car from the stockyard to the ASC and then to the Showroom where you will finally pick her up.
Finishing off with a big hearty congratulations and the best of luck with the next steps.
All this reminds me of my journey when buying the Civic ~ Believe it or not it started with the Fabia and then finally ended up with the Civic ~ What a journey it was.
Are you sure we aren't in for any more pleasant surprises?

Last edited by mdsaab : 23rd May 2011 at 20:29.
Old 23rd May 2011, 22:59   #132
Senior - BHPian

Shridhar, what colour is the car in question ?
Old 24th May 2011, 11:28   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Shridhar, what colour is the car in question ?
Oops, sorry for forgetting to answer this question easrlier, as usual it is a Grey but this time "Azure Grey"
Even i have a bias for White cars but as i mentioned earlier, the lady in the the house decides the color
Old 24th May 2011, 21:03   #134
Senior - BHPian

Hey shridhar, hows it going along? Did you get a chance to carry out the PDI ?
Please note that the salespeople do not give out the complete VIN for Swift. They give whatever is etched on the lower side B-pillar, driver's side.
Pop open the hood, and on the LHS side, undo the plastic flap which would give you the complete VIN under it, with the important last two characters after the "∞" symbol. If its anything other than DB or EB , I suggest you reconsider your buying decision.
And...
Get :
- Blackened A+B pillars.
- LHS ORVM.
- Mats from outside. Dealer-MGA mats no good. Me no likey.

Again, my random $.02.

PS: There are so few K Swifts on the forum, and on the roads. This rather nice car is hopelessly overshadowed by its diesel sibling.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2011, 20:56   #135
Senior - BHPian

sridhar.s.i,

what is the latest update ? When are you planning to take the delivery ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks