Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2011, 13:36   #46
BHPian

2011: Driver's car within 7 lakhs

Hello fellow BHPians!

I would love to know what would be your pick of all the options in the market given this scenario:

Background
I had been driving a Swift VXi 1.3 for last few years and sold it last month.
I am now looking for a new car; hatchback is my first preference, but don't mind a sedan or SUV either!
I am not interested in second hand cars; don't mind a diesel car; intend to keep it for around 4-5 years but that really depends on how it behaves; the car will be driven by me throughout.

Maintenance / After sales
I am ok with paying higher service bills (than Maruti) for a quality car and service. But I am not ok with visting the workshop every few weeks for some or the other trouble, be it minor or major. Also, as long as the car does not ask for any major repairs in the first 2-3 years at least, it is fine! If the car is nice and does not trouble me much, I am keeping it for 4-5 years.

Average distance per month / City driving / Rough roads
I do on an average 900-1000kms per month, of which city driving is more than 80% of the time; have an extremely rough patch of road with potholes of half a km where I am located so my drive starts and ends with that every day.

Highway driving
This will be once or twice in a year; but it will be as much as 500-1000kms in one day, so although city driving should be comfortable, highway manners should not be bad either, must be as good as in Swift or better.

Preferences
Looking for a car that ticks most if not all of the following:

Primary:

- Responsive peppy engine
- Zero clutch / pressure plate known issues
- Breeze to drive in bumper to bumper traffic
- Jerk-free gear shift
- Handling in city and on highway (sudden lane changes, handling on curves, etc.) must be good
- Stable at high speed on highway
- Comfortable driver seat - was very comfortable in Swift
- Planted feel
- Good ground clearance
- Decent if not good resale value

Secondary:

- Rattles: Great if none; had to keep Swift's windows closed all the time to lower the rattles
- Interiors color: Fan of dark interiors; dislike beige
- Rear seat comfort is secondary as 90% of the time only the driver's seat is occupied
- Luggage space is secondary as it is going to be city driving mostly
- Eats potholes and handles uneven road well
- ACC not necessary

Budget and shortlisted options
I have gone through a lot of reviews and ownership threads but still not able to decide
I can spend max 7L and have thought of the following, feel free to add more:
Polo 1.6 (Test driven)
Honda Jazz X (Test driven)
Ford Fiesta Classic 1.6 LXi / CLXi
Honda City EMT
Skoda Fabia 1.6
New Swift ZXi / ZDi

What is stopping me?

Polo 1.6
- Some basic features missing IMO: No individual lock on doors, one touch window up/down not present even on driver's door, rear windows controls not present on driver's door
- Response to acceleration is delayed
- Beige flooring will get dirty easily
- No fresh stock (May 2011 manufactured)
- Changing HU and speakers is on top of my list but that voids warranty I am told by the dealer
- Rumours of refreshed model with steering-mounted audio controls, etc.

Fiesta Classic 1.6 LXi / CLXi
- Interiors quality
- Resale value
- Will be outdated soon
- One touch window up/down not present even on driver's door?
- Absence of electrically adjustable ORVM

New Swift ZXi / ZDi
- Waiting period

Jazz X
- Waiting period
- Ground clearance
- Low end torque

ANHC
- Ground clearance
- Out of budget

Skoda Fabia
- Overall dated looks
- Response to acceleration is delayed
- Too much of Beige interiors
- Absence of electrically adjustable ORVM
- After sales service
Old 20th October 2011, 14:39   #47

Re: Driver's car within 7 lakhs

How can it be that two people are in same boat at the same time?

IMHO, you are better off waiting for the Swift ZXi/ZDi. No other car comes close in terms of VFM at that price.

That's my (booked and waiting) choice as of now.

moserbaer
moserbaer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 17:34   #48
Senior - BHPian

I would go for Swift ZDI. Its worth waiting. I'm sure the waiting period would definitely come down when the strike is over. They should be ramping-up their production having a great demand in the market and their second plant in Manesar would coupe-up the demand.

Then comes Polo 1.6. A good drives car for sure, however, raising Petrol price is a concern. The missing feature that you mentioned can be enabled using VAGCOM. They are many other features that can be done.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 20th October 2011 at 17:44.
Ramsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 18:02   #49
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2011: Driver's car within 7 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphique View Post
- Breeze to drive in bumper to bumper traffic
-
I loved the above line!!

Going by your priorities, Swift it is for you!!

Otherwise Fiesta->Polo->Fabia in that order!
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 18:21   #50
BHPian

Thank you guys! However, the extremely long waiting period and never-ending strike is forcing me to put Swift as my last option and look at other options because I need the car ASAP, but yes, not at the cost of taking a wrong decision. If you have other options in mind, please feel free to add to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moserbaer View Post
IMHO, you are better off waiting for the Swift ZXi/ZDi. No other car comes close in terms of VFM at that price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
I would go for Swift ZDI. The missing feature that you mentioned can be enabled using VAGCOM. They are many other features that can be done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Going by your priorities, Swift it is for you!!
Old 20th October 2011, 20:40   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

@morphique - Can I know any special reason why you haven't considered punto?

If there are none, my pick for a sub-7lakh car in the same order would be: (all diesels)

Punto 90hp: I don't know the price in Pune, but the best one for me.
Punto 75hp: Underpowered but the best package available now.
i20: Feel its slightly expensive but a "no-regrets" car if you ask me
Polo: Expensive for the features it gives, but a premium quality car
New Swift: Expected much better plastic quality..also waiting period is a deterrant
Figo: dated designs and a compromise in quality. very nice engine though. Low GC is an irritant.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st October 2011 at 20:26. Reason: Please avoid quoting an entire long post specially if its on same page, thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 21:58   #52
BHPian

Thanks Hemanth! I have considered all of these at some point, but shortlisted only some of them as others had too many "known issues".
Still, suggestions are welcome because I might give others a try!

Punto: Well ofcourse I did consider it at some point, but after hearing a lot about the A.S.S, reliability issues, niggles, rattles and inferior interiors, I decided to strike it off my list.
i20: I am not really in favour of Hyundai cars because the handling is poor on the highway; also hear that i20 suffers from steering rattling issue and AC is weak, otherwise CRDi was on my list too!
Figo: Dated yes, and quality and reliability questionable, hearing about lot of issues lately, city driveability is great but outright performance is not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Can I know any special reason why you haven't considered punto?

If there are none, my pick for a sub-7lakh car in the same order would be: (all diesels)

Punto 90hp: I don't know the price in Pune, but the best one for me.
Punto 75hp: Underpowered but the best package available now.
i20: Feel its slightly expensive but a "no-regrets" car if you ask me
Polo: Expensive for the features it gives, but a premium quality car
New Swift: Expected much better plastic quality..also waiting period is a deterrant
Figo: dated designs and a compromise in quality. very nice engine though. Low GC is an irritant.
Old 20th October 2011, 22:50   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphique
Hello fellow BHPians!

I would love to know what would be your pick of all the options in the market given this scenario:
Have you considered the Verito Diesel top end? It checks a lot of boxes on your requirements list, although if you are too hung up on looks it may not be good for you.

Last edited by bblost : 20th October 2011 at 23:16. Reason: Please avoid quoting a large post with its complete text. Thanks.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 08:40   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphique View Post
Thanks Hemanth! I have considered all of these at some point, but shortlisted only some of them as others had too many "known issues".
Still, suggestions are welcome because I might give others a try!

Punto: Well ofcourse I did consider it at some point, but after hearing a lot about the A.S.S, reliability issues, niggles, rattles and inferior interiors, I decided to strike it off my list.
i20: I am not really in favour of Hyundai cars because the handling is poor on the highway; also hear that i20 suffers from steering rattling issue and AC is weak, otherwise CRDi was on my list too!
Figo: Dated yes, and quality and reliability questionable, hearing about lot of issues lately, city driveability is great but outright performance is not good.
"heard lot of things" is different from "I have checked it out and not liked it".
I suggest you check out every car before you decide.

Anyways, if you have considered and then decided against punto i20 and figo, then I feel you are left with no other option but the good old swift...of course facelifted now.
I wish you luck in booking your new car.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 21st October 2011 at 08:52.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 08:49   #55
BHPian

IMHO you should go for Swift Zdi/Zxi, but as you told that you need it ASAP then Ritz Vdi ABS / Zxi is a good option for you.

I think you should consider it, as this is the car that comes closest to Swift with similar powertrain. This is a fun to drive car with best A.S.S of MSIL and minimal maintenance.

I would rather rate as per driving experience
Swift>Ritz>Polo>i20>Punto>Figo
ankurvirmani19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 11:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

Instead of Verito, you can look into Nissan Micra. It has same Diesel Eng. as in Verito and the Eng. is very peppy for city & highway drive.

I would just say to have a Test drive of this vehicle. You MAY like it. Leaving aside the design of the vehicle which is Love it or hate it kinda thing

The other alternative for Swift is Polo 1.6, but I'm worried about raising fuel price.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 21st October 2011 at 11:35.
Old 21st October 2011, 16:11   #57
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking for a complete fun to drive car, Ford fiesta Classic the best of the lot you have selected.

VW polo is an alternative with its hatch design and nifty controls.
devarshi84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 15:53   #58
BHPian

Morphique,

I currently live in Pune. Used to own a Swift diesel (see signature) and used to drive like flying machine. After my baby was plundered, I started searching though Mahindra first choice and carwale for a pre-owned Skoda Octavia 1.9D which fits my budget. But the GC is mere 132 mm and hence I striked out this mean machine. Finally booked the Fiat Grande Punto Emotion Pack MJD and getting the delivery next week. The car cost 7.27 OTR Pune but minus the season discounts it cost me 6.93 lac

Regards,
Sameer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks