Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2011, 15:02   #1
BHPian

Driver's car within 7 lakhs

Background:

I and my friend own a scorpio and I10 respectively. We work in the same office and have to travel 50 kms per day. We are majorly using scorpio for both highway and city daily use since the expense seems be more or less same. This makes the I10 to be idle most of the time.

We had enough driving pleasure in a SUV, MUV(office innova) and a regular hatchback. So now we are looking to replace i10 with either a premium diesel hatch or a mid diesel sedan within 7 - 8 Lakhs. We are planning to use it for the daily office drive and also for long drives when we travel alone.

Main requirement:
  • Driver's car.
  • Diesel.
  • Ability to cruise in 120 effortlessly in highways and occasionally touch 140-150 to keep up with high end cars (strictly for fun and not to race).
  • Great handling.
  • Better mileage
Things we dont worry about:
Storage, Back seat comfort, head count it can carry.

Our picks:
Fiesta:

We love this car. We read about its performance and handling and very curious to drive it. Only concern is, we can get only the base version for our budget

Polo:
Great look and german badge. we wish to know how good it is in highways.

Concern: Only the top end has ABS and its out of our budget

Punto:
All time favorite. Always love the FIAT badge. Read about its handling manners in highways. Fits perfectly in our bill.

Concern: The rate at which the sales is dropping, we are worried whether this vehicle will face the similar issues like its past models from fiat. Also thinking about its resale value after 3-5 yrs.

Swift:
Lot has been said about it and thats the prime reason to have it in the pick list though its outdated.

Concern: Newer version is coming soon so is it worth a wait?

Other options that we wish to consider: Figo, Fabia, Vista

Definite NO: Manza, Dzire, Eitos, Indigo, I20, Micra, Ritz - Our need is mostly a premium hatch and fiesta was added only 'cos we both love it. We have socrpio which can do the heavy duties.
Old 24th February 2011, 15:09   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driver's car within 7 lakhs

Would recommend you to await the launch of the New Swift.

Would have been ideal if the Polo 1.6 diesel was available but does'nt seem, in the
near future!

Cheers!
Old 24th February 2011, 15:17   #3
BHPian

FIAT Punto fits the bill perfectly.

All decision making is inherently dealing with risk as the adage goes " No Risk No Gain."
Apart from Gyan, GP has been here for almost 2 years and sales is not exactly dropping in alarming fashion, so you can take a plunge.

Cheers
Old 24th February 2011, 15:20   #4
BHPian

Figo in its Diesel avatar would be a good choice as a driver's car.

Drive safe and have lot of driving pleasure.
Old 24th February 2011, 15:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Is it a requirement to have a new car? You may have many more options if you look at the used car section.
IMHO, the Punto resale value should not be a problem and this is the best option that your money can buy considering your requirements. If I were you and could stretch my budget a bit, the Fiesta would be top of the heap
Of course, I presume that you and your friend continue to work in the same office and you can continue to use the Scorpio. If not, you may want to consider a pre owned Scorpio too.
Have you considered the Jazz (used)?

Last edited by selfdrive : 24th February 2011 at 15:31.
Old 24th February 2011, 15:25   #6
BHPian

Why not look at the Fiesta? You say mid-diesel sedan, and it is a good drivers car too. But, it's on its way out soon, so you might as well wait for the replacement.
Old 24th February 2011, 15:26   #7
BHPian

A pre-owned civic would be a good choice.
Old 24th February 2011, 15:27   #8
BHPian

Klassics, Fiesta TDCi doesn't have the performance of the Fiesta 1.6 and if not for your diesel requirement, I would have suggested a limited edition 1.6 right away.
Anyway, Fiesta diesel limited edition sells at 8.3 OTR B'lore so even the base version seems out of your budget.
Among the options available - the Punto 90hp fits your bill perfectly. Sure it isn't 'fast' but makes up for it by being pretty involving to drive, has great handling and excellent stability at high speeds. Add a Pete's box and you are looking at a genuine fun to drive car. Don't worry about the resale etc. - if you keep it for 5 years you won't end up losing too much.
Old 24th February 2011, 15:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
Why not look at the Fiesta? You say mid-diesel sedan, and it is a good drivers car too. But, it's on its way out soon, so you might as well wait for the replacement.
Some versions of the existing Fiesta are expected to be retained. The new replacement is expected to be targetted in the Vento/ City range so does not fit your current budget requirements

sorry mods for the double post. I realised later I could edit, but for some reason was not able to do it correctly. Please move/ delete as appropriate

Last edited by selfdrive : 24th February 2011 at 15:32. Reason: sorry for double post!
Old 24th February 2011, 15:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Fiesta and Swift is my pick. But waiting for the new fiesta and swift will definitely be the right choice.

The fiesta is a beast for both city and highway driving.

In case of used cars, there is always the Skoda Octavia that is now selling well in the 7-9L range.

Last edited by VW2010 : 24th February 2011 at 15:35.
Old 24th February 2011, 15:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

What many won't suggest. A Logan.

A drivers car that is cheap to maintain and has the most amazing suspension I have encountered lately. Do TD one before ruling it out.

PS: A pete's is also available or so I have heard.

Ford Fiesta is a close second just because it is a tad more expensive to maintain. Both Renault's and Fords Engines are pretty similar in configs too.

Punto 90VGT does give you more bells and whistles though if you want more of a ricer car.

Polo has too much turbolag IMHO.
Old 24th February 2011, 15:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

I advice you against buying a brand new Maruti Swift and Ford Fiesta as the new versions might be launched in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Have you considered the Jazz (used)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
A pre-owned civic would be a good choice.
Please excuse me for post.

The thread starter has explicitly mentioned the fact that he is looking for a diesel car and not a petrol.

Last edited by Klub Class : 24th February 2011 at 16:01.
Old 24th February 2011, 16:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
What many won't suggest. A Logan.

A drivers car that is cheap to maintain and has the most amazing suspension I have encountered lately. Do TD one before ruling it out.

PS: A pete's is also available or so I have heard.

Ford Fiesta is a close second just because it is a tad more expensive to maintain. Both Renault's and Fords Engines are pretty similar in configs too.

Punto 90VGT does give you more bells and whistles though if you want more of a ricer car.

Polo has too much turbolag IMHO.
Absolutely Agree.

Do check out the Diesel Logan. And, a Pete's is definitely available. Excellent Handling and Road Behavior. Comfortably cruises at 120 and easily goes up to 140. Returns an overall FE of about 17 KMPL in City, and 20 KMPL on Highways with AC. And, it is well within your budget.
Old 24th February 2011, 16:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

If you don't want to wait for new Swift, Fiesta or Punto will be a suitable choice at the moment, IMO.

Agree on the suggestions regarding Logan too. Have seen Logans cruising effortlessly through curvy highways.
Old 24th February 2011, 16:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post

Other options that we wish to consider: Figo, Fabia, Vista
Take a TD of Figo and Vista.

My vote goes for Figo.

BTW-Since you have a i10, why dont you speak to your dealer and try to swap/exchange your i10 with a sparing used Getz CRDI if some customer is willing to part with his/her Getz.

Nothing to beat a Getz CRDI.It is a wonderful Hatchback.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks