Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2011, 18:43   #16
BHPian

Re: Going Automatic on a Rs. 2 lakh Budget!

You may get wagonR AT and our good old maruti zen AT under your budget but for that you must search deeply and i'm sure you will get one because last year i got 1999 model zen AT white colour for 1.2 lakhs from trichur,kerala for my sister.(yes it is 3speed but for city driving that little car is pure fun and relaxing to drive).And surprisingly it gives FE of 10km.

Last edited by bhunu AMG : 14th March 2011 at 18:44.
Old 14th March 2011, 22:39   #17
BHPian

As a owner of OHC AT (2001-2), I can tell you that there won't be any issues with spares availability and they are not too expensive. But in case you are buying a OHC AT do check for O2 sensor and Power steering leak. This seems to be a common issue in OHC. I think with a 2L budget, OHC AT of that period will be your best bet - my IDV currently is 2L.

One thing is that although OHC is very reliable, given the age of the car there will always be something or the other that goes wrong. Engine/Transmission is bullet proof, but you will run into age related issues with Electricals, body panels, Rubber beadings etc. And if you are buying from Chennai (since you need a AT, you will have better luck in a big city), beware of rust - very real possibility on a 10 yr car.

Feel free to PM me in case you want any info about OHC AT spare cost in Chennai/TN.
Old 15th March 2011, 01:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

I'm just wondering, if 2 lakhs is all you can afford to spend, how can you afford to gas up and pay service bills on a 90K run, 7-year-old Sonata V6 AT?

Last edited by Mpower : 15th March 2011 at 01:04.
Old 15th March 2011, 04:33   #19
BHPian

@Mpower: 2 lakhs is my budget because I choose to spend that much on my first car and not because I will go bankrupt after I buy the car. So, I should be able to afford subsequent gas and service bills.

@bhunu AMG: I somehow am not emotionally inclined to buy a WagonR or a Zen

@noopster: Share your hatred of the "AT=expensive" mentality

@everyone: The car is not going to be used a lot; probably 200 to 300 kms a week. Thus, I can live with low mileage. Also, the whole point of keeping the budget so low is to ensure I can afford "premium" spares later.

Also, probably I have been watching too much of Top Gear lately, which could explain my illogical quest for the perfect car at unrealistic prices. Anyhow, I am almost certain that I am going to learn a lot of bitter lessons the hard way!

Pardon me if my post does not add any practical value to the community.
Old 15th March 2011, 08:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Just noticed you have also added an Optra AT in your list. Do you have any inputs on the availability of that model ? I ask because it might just be the solution to all that you need at the mentioned budget. Provided the model is the very first one that hit our shores of course. If you have not checked as yet, why not scout for an Optra ?
Old 15th March 2011, 09:16   #21
BHPian

Since you are on a tight budget, please bear in mind that an automatic transmission failure could cost you around the Rs 1 lakh range since the entire transmission is replaced.
Please evaluate the used option VERY carefully !
Old 15th March 2011, 19:16   #22
BHPian

@JishD: Thanks for the heads up

@PlatzdaTurbo: Tried that, but very hard to find Optra ATs
Old 15th March 2011, 19:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Go for a recent santro AT OR
go for 2000-03 OHC.

Both are excellent and will be available in this price range with quite low maintenance.

Rest, Optra, Sonata etc, best is to avoid.

On the device to convert your car to Automatic, search for my thread on autoclutch on team-bhp, you will get an idea of what to expect with it.
Old 15th March 2011, 21:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Since you are OK with expensive spares, low FE and want a maximum car per buck, how about a Mondeo
Old 16th March 2011, 20:49   #25
BHPian

@Guna: I never knew Ford made AT Mondeos for India
Old 16th March 2011, 21:06   #26
BHPian

On the whole, the Old Honda City AT seems the best bet. My dad is looking for one too. And Partha and Dippy mentioned it right, the engine and gearbox should be good. Just need to look out for the body panels and electronics, which can be done by your local garage.

I just seen this ad in Tbhp (http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...nda/City.html/)
Not sure if you don't mind buying this from Mumbai.

And another one (http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...a/Accord.html/)
This is an import, I think it would be difficult to buy/get the parts.

Both the cars above meet your budget requirement. But if I were you, I would check the Honda City and go for it if all looks good.

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 16th March 2011 at 21:11.
Old 16th March 2011, 23:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
@Guna: I never knew Ford made AT Mondeos for India
Sorry, I got it wrong and thought the thread starter is open to manuals as well. Mondeo was never sold with AT.
Old 23rd March 2011, 02:43   #28
BHPian

I too am looking for a Pre-worshipped City AT for less than 2 lacs in Chennai.

I checked online, there are very few specimens at this price.

Could try Honda Auto Terrace, But had a bad experience with our Civic in terms of documentation after sale.

Where would be the best place to check these out in chennai?
Old 4th May 2011, 09:52   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Go for a recent santro AT OR
go for 2000-03 OHC.

Both are excellent and will be available in this price range with quite low maintenance.

Rest, Optra, Sonata etc, best is to avoid.

On the device to convert your car to Automatic, search for my thread on autoclutch on team-bhp, you will get an idea of what to expect with it.
Since we are talking about KA/TN registration, recent Santros in KA/TN sell at shockingly high prices. A 2007 santro with manual transmission sells for around 2.7 -2.8 or even 3 lacs here. It is going to be very tough to find an automatic small car anywhere in the country, specially at that price. I think only old Corollas etc would fit the criteria here.
Old 4th May 2011, 12:22   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
@Mpower: 2 lakhs is my budget because I choose to spend that much on my first car and not because I will go bankrupt after I buy the car. So, I should be able to afford subsequent gas and service bills.

@bhunu AMG: I somehow am not emotionally inclined to buy a WagonR or a Zen

@noopster: Share your hatred of the "AT=expensive" mentality

@everyone: The car is not going to be used a lot; probably 200 to 300 kms a week. Thus, I can live with low mileage. Also, the whole point of keeping the budget so low is to ensure I can afford "premium" spares later.

Also, probably I have been watching too much of Top Gear lately, which could explain my illogical quest for the perfect car at unrealistic prices. Anyhow, I am almost certain that I am going to learn a lot of bitter lessons the hard way!

Pardon me if my post does not add any practical value to the community.
Ashwin, no offence but your logic does not really make sense here. You want to spend only 2 lakhs now, but your willing to spend say 1-2 lakhs maintenance over the next 2-3 years? Why not spend 3 lakhs or so now and spend less on maintenance later? Not to mention you'll get a far better car as well.

A D-segment car will have very high maintenance costs, that is a given. And a second point to consider is fuel efficiency. A 6-7 year old D segment car will not give you anymore than 6-7 km/l in the city. While for example a Santro AT will return around 10-11 km/l. So the running costs are almost double and if you're going to be running 1000 km/month that works out to an extra 4000-5000 per month. Over a course of 2 years that works out to about a lakh in itself.

Now the maintenance depends on the car, and pretty much the only AT cars which sold well in the 2001-2005 timeframe were Accords, and maybe some Corollas. Stay away from the Sonatas/Skodas/Optras,etc. Parts availability and maintenance will be a problem. IMHO the only cars worth considering if you absolutely want a sedan is an OHC AT/Corolla AT or Accord AT. But I have seen even 2003-2004 accords going for nothing less than 3-3.5 lakhs in bangalore. Corolla's of a year or two newer go for a similar amount. But a point to note is that bangalore used car prices are on the high side anyway. My cousin just sold his 2007 Santro for like 2.6 lakhs! Maybe you'll be able to find better prices in TN.

Another car to consider if you're willing to up your budget is the NHC AT. Its got a CVT but its pretty good for city driving. And since its a never model, maintenance and parts availability shouldnt be too much of a problem. Im not sure of the prices but im guessing they'll be 3-3.5 lakhs for a 2005-2006 model. But If you absolutely do not want to spend more than 2 lakhs im afraid the Zen/Wagon R/Santro are pretty much your only choices. I hope i've been able to help you out though i suspect i've just confused you further!

Last edited by radiokidb : 4th May 2011 at 12:28.
radiokidb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed