Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2011, 22:21   #61
BHPian

re: New Car Required for Dad: Needs to be VERY Comfortable- EDIT: it's a Honda Accord!

Thank you, all, for participating in this discussion, and putting forth your valuable suggestions and comments.
Please find my responses to the recent ones below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Support that, the Yeti actually ticks quite a lot of the requirements you have mentioned, especially the elegance trim.
I did check out the Yeti today, and will write my comments on the car in the subsequent post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
It certainly will make sense for a diesel, petrol is now 60+ a litre.
Checked with Dad. He feels the need for a Diesel isn't too high for him, as the annual usage has gone lower in the last few years. Annually his car does about 15k kms now. So a diesel may not be a strict necessity anymore.

In the Superb you will feel excited every time you drive it because of the little thoughtful features. Also personally I think the Accord is overpriced.
+1 to that based on my TD, for the opinions on both the Superb and the Accord. Will elaborate in my subsequent post.
Thank you akshay, for your inputs. Really appreciate it. Helped me notice a lot more details in both the Accord and the Superb. . Will update in my TD posts. Please find my responses in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
A
The accord 2.4 AT should give you 7 kmpl in the city with aircon.
But an uncle of mine reported 6, sometimes even 5 something. His wife calls it the guzzler. And so they use the smaller car for city errands.
Obviously the v6 will be less efficient, but am told that its not by much. As it comes equipped with vcm which manages the cylinder banks according to various factors such as the position of your foot on the throttle etc.
I happened to TD the V6 Accord. Super engine. Super tech with VCM. Too pricey though. At around 29.8 lac on road in Delhi, way beyond our budget. But awesome.
That said, I got a feeling that the Honda doesn't offer that much bang for the buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
I did not quite get this. Any specific problem you heard with the engine ? Its an absolutely fantastic engine and extremely pleasurable to drive.
Also , i noticed you saying this at the beginning of the thread - 'the engine in the passat is superior to that of the superb'
Why ? Both are/were sold with SAME 1.8 tsi petrol and 2.0 crdi diesel engines.
Agree on the brilliance of the Superb engine. I believe the goof up was in the owner's manual of the Superb V6 stating that only 95 RON fuel may be used.
Moreover, Dad got some inputs from people that the Superb had engine-seizures. It was more news from others (uddati uddati khabar!), but you do tend to pay attention to these aspects. Till now, I honestly don't have any more reasons to doubt this engine. Loved the drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
And apart from the thread, check this link out. It outclasses some of the best cars in the world in few aspects.

YouTube - Top Gear Skoda YETI
The James Clarkson video is absolutely brilliant. Thank you for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post

@sam

Please get your requirements straight, some of the comparisons and details you have posted seem to be a mismatch. Do not go by perception go by the facts.

Waiting for your TD reports.
Let me be honest on the requirements front. I am an amateur, and so is my dad. This kind of expense is being made on a car for the first time in my family. So the priorities are very simple. Need the ride to be best in class, with as many gadgets, and needs to be a reliable product.
Please do forgive me in case there has been a confusing set of posts from my side. I am just trying to take in as much info (and process it) based on everyone's posts.
I hope my subsequent thread on the TDs conducted today would clear a couple of things out.

Again, thanks everyone for your inputs.
Do take a look on my subsequent thread on the TDs, and do share your opinions.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 19th March 2011 at 22:22.
Old 19th March 2011, 23:39   #62
BHPian

re: New Car Required for Dad: Needs to be VERY Comfortable- EDIT: it's a Honda Accord!

TD Report

In order of showrooms visited, here's a brief summary of the cars TD-ed and the likes and dislikes of the same.

1. Honda Accord:

Dealership:Courtesy Honda, Okhla
Model Tested:3.5L V6
Model Interested in:2.4 AT (Pre-facelift variant)
Offer Received:For a 2.4 AT pre-facelift manufactured in Jan 2011(Missing items: sunroof, cruise control, new front grill, illuminated strips on body under doors, new bumpers, wood garnish on dashboard): Approx 21 lac on-road Delhi (1.5 lac discount, plus free insurance)

• The engine and related tech. VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) is truly a class apart.
  • Loads of power.
  • Good stability.
  • Comfortably the widest, of the cars tried today. Or atleast, it felt wide while sitting in it, and more so while driving it.

Dislikes
  • Found some lag in the operation of the paddle shifters.
  • Not a very nice driver's car. Apart from the power.
  • Too pricey for what is being offered.
  • Not in stock with the dealership.
  • Expected FE 6-7 kmpl overall. (If driven sedately)

2. Honda CR-V

Dealership:Courtesy Honda, Okhla
Model Tested:2.4 AT (with Sunroof)
Offer Received:Around 27 lacs on-road Delhi.

• Nice high sitting position. Easy ingress and egress.
  • Smart layout of instruments and center console.

Dislikes:
  • No rear AC vents. Apparently, there're some ducts under front seats to channel air to the rear passengers.
  • Not smooth transmission. Surprisingly jerky.
  • Very low VFM. (I assume because it's a CBU)
  • No stock. Not expected soon because of situation in Japan.

Effectively, the CR-V is off the list.

3. Suzuki Kizashi

Dealership:D.D. Motors, Okhla
Model Tested:CVT
Offer Received:Around 19.8 lacs on-road Delhi.

• Unexpectedly good exteriors. Paint finish: super. Rims: beautiful. Contours: Not eye-catching, but soooo not SX-4 ish.
  • Beautiful console. High points: Instrument cluster and Piano finish display.
  • Steering: Amazing to hold. Very comfortable to use. Perfectly sized. Amazingly intuitive steering mounted controls. Well finished.
  • Ride and Handling: Brilliantly balanced ride for comfort and dynamics.

Dislikes:
  • The sales staff aren't the best in the class. Not well informed. The competition is much, much better. But very courteous.
  • Once I got my eyes off the steering and center console, I noticed so many parts shared with the Swift. We all know the list from Sidinidca's TD. Doesn't give a very good feeling.
  • Space at the back: Very limited leg space. Seats not too supportive. Very less shoulder room.
  • Upholstery: Is that real leather? Worst in class.
  • Delivery Time:Very unclear. May be even beyond May. Not good at all.

All in all, this is a wonderful car. Must applaud Suzuki. Delivery dates are a spoiler. Off the list. Heartbreaking.

4. Skoda Superb

Dealership:Jai Auto, Mohan Estate
Model Tested:Petrol with DSG Auto
Offer Received:Around 22.3 lacs on-road Delhi.

• Luxury redifined. Nappa leather seats. Wow.
  • Steering and steering controls: good
  • Touch-screen media player: awesome functionality and sound clarity and quality.
  • Center Console design and functionality: impeccable.
  • In-cabin Illumination: Brilliant. They're everywhere. What a pleasure.
  • Comfort: Class leading. Much better than the Accord.
  • Rear seat experience: Loved sitting there (very unlike me). There's a lot of attention to detail.
  • Hatch functionality. Love it.
  • Overall, I feel I will end up discovering a lot more about the car with time (in case we do buy it!)

Dislikes
  • Skoda dealership Service experience: Don't have any, personally. But have heard too many bad stories. Do not need that.

If I can get some input on a good Skoda dealership in south Delhi, with good service experience, I think we would close on the Superb.

5. Skoda Yeti

Model Tested:TDI Manual 4x4

• Good design elements on the exterior.
  • Very functional interior.
  • Good GC.
  • Perfect size. Not too big, not too small.

Dislikes
  • Ride quality: No where, compared to the Superb.
  • Dashboard plastic: Did not feel of very high quality.

The Skoda Yeti, though a vehicle I would have bought just for its brilliance, and the Jeremy Clarkson review (), is not the best suited for Dad.

Yet to test: Nissan Teana

For the moment, the serious contenders from those TD-ed today are the Honda Accord and the Skoda Superb.

As far as the debate on the comfort factor of the SUVs vs Sedans, the above two just fight a case so much better for the sedans.

And I love the Superb. Dad is thinking about the huge size, and worrying a bit.
And I absolutely need some info on a good Service point for Skoda in South Delhi.

Yet again, thank you fellow Bhpians, for your support and opinions.
Do keep it coming.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 19th March 2011 at 23:41.
Old 20th March 2011, 12:23   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
And I absolutely need some info on a good Service point for Skoda in South Delhi.
Hey great to see that you finalized on two things, a sedan and petrol!

I wanted to suggest you to have a look at the Skoda Superb 3.6 FSI 4x4; At Around 30L OTR its a bit more than your budget but it is worth its price and believe me it is a blast to drive!

Last edited by Furebo : 20th March 2011 at 12:24.
Old 23rd March 2011, 13:19   #64
BHPian

Hi people,

The matter has still not been finalized, but there is a definite bend towards the Accord. Reliability is the key.
So here's the thing. Is the dealership "JAI AUTO" (Skoda) in Mohan Cooperative (opposite Sarita Vihar, Delhi) reliable?
Request the people having experiences with this dealer to come forward and tell.

Meanwhile, there's a twist in the tale.
The sudden appearence of an Audi A4 1.8 Petrol Auto-box.
Done 960 kms. Manufd in Dec '10, regd in Jan '11. Mint condition. 2 years warranty from Audi. Commercial Offer is decent.
Pros and cons?

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 23rd March 2011, 14:35   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Skoda Yeti, though a vehicle I would have bought just for its brilliance, and the Jeremy Clarkson review (), is not the best suited for Dad.

For the moment, the serious contenders from those TD-ed today are the Honda Accord and the Skoda Superb.

As far as the debate on the comfort factor of the SUVs vs Sedans, the above two just fight a case so much better for the sedans.

And I absolutely need some info on a good Service point for Skoda in South Delhi
With the questions on the GC, drivability and all, I still feel Yeti can be a good fit, but again you are best judge based on your test drives

If the size of Superb is a worrying bit, why not try the Laura L&K? It will have almost all the bells and whistles available in the Superb.

From what I read from the forum, After Sales and Service from Skoda have improved a lot, and also they have the Skoda Shield which covers you for 4 years.

Quote:
Hi people,
The sudden appearence of an Audi A4 1.8 Petrol Auto-box.
Done 960 kms. Manufd in Dec '10, regd in Jan '11. Mint condition. 2 years warranty from Audi. Commercial Offer is decent.
Pros and cons?
Now that sounds like a good deal!
Old 28th March 2011, 12:38   #66
BHPian

Quote:

5. Skoda Yeti

Model Tested:TDI Manual 4x4

• Good design elements on the exterior.
  • Very functional interior.
  • Good GC.
  • Perfect size. Not too big, not too small.
Dislikes
  • Ride quality: No where, compared to the Superb.
  • Dashboard plastic: Did not feel of very high quality.
Awesome! My boss just got his Skoda Yeti delivered to him last week. It looks awesome. We went for some client meeting in it and boy was I thrilled to be sitting inside it.

I think I'll also go for it once I have the money to buy in in the next 2 years.

So have you finalised on anything yet?
Old 18th April 2011, 11:37   #67
Senior - BHPian

Have you bought your car? If so what was it.

In case it is Skoda, has their attitude towards customers improved?
Old 13th July 2011, 13:18   #68
BHPian

Hello all.

Been very occupied with work so could not respond.

My father bought a Honda Accord 2.4 (pre-facelift version).
The car is doing well enough, considering he's already done Delhi-Ambala-Delhi, even though he doesn't prefer driving over distances longer than 75 km at a time.

I drove it too, and it's a very smooth car. The shifter with paddles on the steering works well enough. Only problem is, with such a price, the car should have compared with the competition at least to a small extent in terms of the features. It doesn't.
There aren't any steering mounted controls, there's no USB or Bluetooth in the HU.

Checked out the New Passat a while back. Seems to be a much better equipped vehicle. Haven't driven it yet.. but that's for another day.

Until then, thanks for all your suggestions. Will write a report on the Honda Accord once I drive it a little more.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 13th July 2011, 13:42   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello all.

My father bought a Honda Accord 2.4 (pre-facelift version).
The car is doing well enough, considering he's already done Delhi-Ambala-Delhi, even though he doesn't prefer driving over distances longer than 75 km at a time.
Congratulations Samarth!

Accord is a nice choice. Surprised to hear that it is short on feature list compared to the competition. However, its got a Honda heart. So, it might win the competition of durability with others.

Please pass on our best wishes to your father and wishing you all many happy miles with the Accord.

Waiting for your ownership report with loads of pics.

Cheers!
Old 17th October 2011, 01:55   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all.

There aren't any steering mounted controls, there's no USB or Bluetooth in the HU.
Small correction. Noticed that the USB port does indeed exist and connects with iPod too.
In fact, as time has passed, I have begun to really enjoy using the HU. The iPod connectivity and User Interface is pretty neat too.

It's been long pending now, but shall soon put up the Ownership Review of the Accord.

For the moment, am driving a very lazy Hyundai Elantra Petrol .
I read in some thread that it's got a lot of power and handles better than an Ikon! I respectfully disagree. I shall reserve further comments as this thread was more on the choosing and buying process of the Accord.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 27th November 2011, 03:01   #71
BHPian

Try the Nissan teana, the most comfortable in that price point. Addresses most of your requirements.
The V6 engine is very smooth but lacks poke, not to say its low on power. It best addresses all ur needs, except ur power requirement. It still is a V6, so it should be fine.
Old 23rd July 2012, 00:53   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 316kmph View Post
Try the Nissan teana, the most comfortable in that price point. Addresses most of your requirements.
The V6 engine is very smooth but lacks poke, not to say its low on power. It best addresses all ur needs, except ur power requirement. It still is a V6, so it should be fine.
Hi.
We did check out the Teana too (at least I did).
Loved the looks. The engine was alright. But the CVT gearbox was slightly boring, to say the least.
A bigger problem (now smaller since Micra's launch) was the dearth of Nissan showrooms - and the questionable service levels.
Plus, the car was expensive - more so than the Accord.

-Sam

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks