Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 00:40   #16
BHPian

re: New Car Required for Dad: Needs to be VERY Comfortable- EDIT: it's a Honda Accord!

why don't you have a look at the captiva?
comes with all the benefits of an suv which would be highly appreciated with the kind of roads in faridabad.
it is also pretty refined and comes with an auto box.
Old 17th March 2011, 00:56   #17
BHPian

re: New Car Required for Dad: Needs to be VERY Comfortable- EDIT: it's a Honda Accord!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superboy44 View Post
why don't you have a look at the captiva?
comes with all the benefits of an suv which would be highly appreciated with the kind of roads in faridabad.
it is also pretty refined and comes with an auto box.
Agreed. I actually TD'd the Captiva a couple of weeks back. I actually liked the car. But the overall finish in the interiors left a lot to be desired.
It is feature-rich, but that screen on the top of the center console displaying the air-temperature and the media player settings was just a little too less.

But, all in all, it does pose a pretty strong case for itself. So will TD it again and see.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 17th March 2011, 00:59   #18
Team-BHP Support

Close your eyes and buy the Accord. Apart from being very comfortable, it's very reliable. You've got the backing of Honda's bullet-proof reliability on your side. Something that's missing in the Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI. Although, you could consider the Skoda as well.

Have you considered a well maintained, pre-owned Mercedes? You'd get a previous generation E-Class for that kind of money. That's of course, if your dad is okay with the running-costs.
Old 17th March 2011, 01:09   #19
BHPian

The pre-owned Merc-E would have to wait. For me .
Dad would definitely prefer something much more reliable.
With more and more votes coming in for the Accord, it does seem to be winning here!

But I still need to understand one thing.

Does an SUV-ish/Soft Roader compromise on the comfort vis-a-vis a Sedan?

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 17th March 2011, 01:21   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Does an SUV-ish/Soft Roader compromise on the comfort vis-a-vis a Sedan?
A sedan generally rides better than UVs , but in terms of seating a UV is way way better.

Did you consider the CRV?Also please check out the Kizashi.
Old 17th March 2011, 01:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Actually I'm surprised I didn't mention the Captiva earlier. Good looker, reasonable running costs, good reliability and an auto box if you wish to go for it. High seating will find favour with your father as well. Packs a punch too, this is the same engine that pulls the Cruze out of reach of most competing sedans.

I'm a little surprised by your dissatisfaction with the interior. I for one find the interior very well designed and well appointed, and quite well put together too. Just the right combination of leather, wood and brushed aluminum. Do have a second look, and push for discounts.

Quote:
FlyingSpur, did you happen to face any troubles with the Accord on your road-trip?
None, whatsoever. We were picking between a Cherokee Jeep and the current gen Accord for the trip, which was a 2,900 km trip across the east coast of USA. I'm glad we picked the Accord. It was hugely spacious, massively comfortable, and completely reliable. Gave us good FE too. This is from May '09. If anyone doesn't mind a boring but comfortable and reliable car, nothing beats the Accord in this segment.
Old 17th March 2011, 01:54   #22
BHPian

even i feel that the interiors of the captiva are pretty good, nothing too disappointing though nothing too exciting as well.

i would really prefer getting an suv as they are far more comfortable in dealing with our lunar landscape in comparison to sedans.
your dad would appreciate the high driving position of an suv.

best would be to shortlist both an suv and a sedan and then have test drive back to back on a not so good patch of road to evaluate the comfort levels offered by either.

for a sedan i do agree with most members here, an accord is no fuss reliable piece of machinery with high comfort levels.
Old 17th March 2011, 08:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Skoda superb is superb for self driving as well as Chauffeur driven. The features match the BMW or Merc and the DSG gear box is something that will always be talked about.

Accord would be my second choice. The car is huge and has excellent reliability. Its just a honda so reliability and maintenance should be taken for granted right?
Old 17th March 2011, 09:44   #24
Team-BHP Support

The new Passat is expected in a month or so, and apparently is loaded with features. Other than that, Honda Accord is definitely a good choice, but with Petrol option only (and I am not sure how good the mileage is).

Apart from the above two, if you can find a good Skoda dealer, why not the Superb. It is quite a car for the money

And as FlyingSpur mentioned, I felt Captiva is quite well-appointed. But a facelift could come out in a few months.
Old 17th March 2011, 10:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Skoda superb is superb for self driving as well as Chauffeur driven. The features match the BMW or Merc and the DSG gear box is something that will always be talked about.

Accord would be my second choice. The car is huge and has excellent reliability. Its just a honda so reliability and maintenance should be taken for granted right?
As far as the Superb is concerned, it can be considered, yes. But on the VW Passat thread I happened to read that the DSG box in the Passat is much more superior, and so is the engine. Is this true?
But then I also read GTO's thread on problems faced by Passat owners, so that might actually get me to consider the Superb more seriously. Is the DSG box on the Superb comparable to that of the Laura (which, I hear, is awesome)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The new Passat is expected in a month or so, and apparently is loaded with features. Other than that, Honda Accord is definitely a good choice, but with Petrol option only (and I am not sure how good the mileage is).

And as FlyingSpur mentioned, I felt Captiva is quite well-appointed. But a facelift could come out in a few months.
Indeed the Superb is worth considering. But I mentioned above the points to ponder on.
The FE on these cars is expected to be around the 9 kmpl mark in the city. Anything better would be good, but not expecting much on that front.

Is the new Passat expected in the next month, or could it take much longer? I don't think Dad would be willing to wait, as the FY is ending.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 17th March 2011, 10:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Even I would suggest the Skoda Superb. The car is aptly named SUPERB! If you are able to find a reliable dealer in Delhi -NCR, then that would be your best bet.

Of course, the Accord, Passat or even the BMW320 (Corporate Edition) can be looked at. All brilliant choices.
(I have only spoken for the Sedans). If SUV's are on your mind, then the CRV or Captiva would be the best option.
Old 17th March 2011, 11:11   #27
BHPian

I think for typical Indian driving conditions with bad roads, water logging and might is right kind of driving the Innova is your best bet. Also being a Toyota means low maintenance.You also have the advantage of height which makes it easier in dense traffic. Negatives of the Innova are lower image, MUV status (as compared to a big sedan) and no autobox.

So then you are left with the autobox Captiva.
If you are fond of 'the Germans' you can also test the auto diesel BMW X1 to compare, but then that is high image, high maintenance.

Last edited by rxpaul : 17th March 2011 at 11:15.
Old 17th March 2011, 11:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Is the new Passat expected in the next month, or could it take much longer? I don't think Dad would be willing to wait, as the FY is ending.
Volkswagen India is all set to launch its next-gen Passat saloon on March 29 (Source:ACI)

Coming to your choices look no more, the Captiva fits the bill perfectly it is a diesel automatic and has amazing ride quality.

For your dad it is the best you can get.
Old 17th March 2011, 11:25   #29
BHPian

Accord and the Skoda Superb are very good cars, The Skoda is very comfortable and the back seats are to die for, with the 1.8 TSI you have ample of power too, cruises at 160 easily.

I havent driven the Yeti, but by the reviews I hear its quite a good car.

Edit: Werent you supposed to book your car by yesterday? Things get pretty confusing, I understand.
Old 17th March 2011, 11:31   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As far as the Superb is concerned, it can be considered, yes. But on the VW Passat thread I happened to read that the DSG box in the Passat is much more superior, and so is the engine. Is this true?

But then I also read GTO's thread on problems faced by Passat owners, so that might actually get me to consider the Superb more seriously. Is the DSG box on the Superb comparable to that of the Laura (which, I hear, is awesome)?

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
I don't think there is any difference in the DSG box between Passat / Superb /Laura. They all use the same module.

From what I know, the upcoming 1.8 TSI Passat (if its launched in India) will have the same 7-speed DSG, which is same as what is available with 1.8 TSI Superb. And the diesel counterparts will have the 6-speed wet-clutch DSG (which also does the duty in the Laura 2.0 CR AT).

Just saw the news today that the new Passat is launched here in Singapore. So the 29th March Indian launch reported by Autocar India is quite a possibility. The report here say that the new Passat is feature packed (compared to the existing one) and have even better safety features.

Just a thought - if you can stretch your budget and ignore the brand perception, the newly launched Volvo S60 D5 will be good option, especially since the car is for your dad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks