Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 13:06   #31
BHPian

re: New Car Required for Dad: Needs to be VERY Comfortable- EDIT: it's a Honda Accord!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Even I would suggest the Skoda Superb. The car is aptly named SUPERB! If you are able to find a reliable dealer in Delhi -NCR, then that would be your best bet.

Of course, the Accord, Passat or even the BMW320 (Corporate Edition) can be looked at. All brilliant choices.
(I have only spoken for the Sedans). If SUV's are on your mind, then the CRV or Captiva would be the best option.
Hi Swanand,

Appreciate your suggestions, my friend. With growing votes for the Superb, will definitely TD it to see if it suits the needs. Need to understand if it's a good driver's car, since Dad would primarily be self-driving the car (i.e. until I can convince him to sit back and relax in the rear seat ).
BMW-3 is not being considered primarily for the lack of space, and the expected high costs of maintainence.
Thanks for your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
I think for typical Indian driving conditions with bad roads, water logging and might is right kind of driving the Innova is your best bet. Also being a Toyota means low maintenance.You also have the advantage of height which makes it easier in dense traffic. Negatives of the Innova are lower image, MUV status (as compared to a big sedan) and no autobox.

So then you are left with the autobox Captiva.
If you are fond of 'the Germans' you can also test the auto diesel BMW X1 to compare, but then that is high image, high maintenance.
Yes, the Captiva over the Innova (even with DC Lounge) does seem a better deal. Will TD it again to check with Dad's needs.
Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Volkswagen India is all set to launch its next-gen Passat saloon on March 29 (Source:ACI)

Coming to your choices look no more, the Captiva fits the bill perfectly it is a diesel automatic and has amazing ride quality.

For your dad it is the best you can get.
Will definitely ask Dad to wait for the Passat, if it's coming so early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble Beast View Post
Accord and the Skoda Superb are very good cars, The Skoda is very comfortable and the back seats are to die for, with the 1.8 TSI you have ample of power too, cruises at 160 easily.

I havent driven the Yeti, but by the reviews I hear its quite a good car.

Edit: Werent you supposed to book your car by yesterday? Things get pretty confusing, I understand.
The engine of the superb vs the Passat: I seem to get the impression that the superb has an inferior engine. Is this true?
P.S.: Typo on the date front. Booking planned for Saturday, the 19th. But with the new Passat in the picture, that might just change. Let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I don't think there is any difference in the DSG box between Passat / Superb /Laura. They all use the same module.

Just a thought - if you can stretch your budget and ignore the brand perception, the newly launched Volvo S60 D5 will be good option, especially since the car is for your dad.
I didn't know it was the same DSG box on all 3. Thanks for that info.
But is it wrong perception that the same box performs much better on the Laura? How would you rate it on the others (Passat/Superb)?

The S60 was there in mind. But I believe the on-road price in Delhi would be close to 28 lacs for the top-end (as per SidIndica's thread).
Would love it if somebody could update on this front.

Thank you for the help, people. really appreciate it. Please keep the comments coming.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 17th March 2011, 13:26   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: New Car Required for Dad: Needs to be VERY Comfortable- EDIT: it's a Honda Accord!

If it is to be a self-driven car then why not the outstanding Nissan Teana! I think it comes with AT and the seats are really to die for (best in class!) only Mercs give competition to Teana in seat comfort!
Old 17th March 2011, 13:52   #33
BHPian

Quote: "The engine of the superb vs the Passat: I seem to get the impression that the superb has an inferior engine. Is this true?"

The engine in Superb is no way inferior to that in a VW Passat.

I would strongly recommend Superb 1.8TSI.

1. Great Drivers Car. To satisfy the speed demon in you
2. Fabulous comfort both front and rear seats
3. Loads of features

I saw some initial recommendations on Innova DC Lounge but sorry i dont think it would make a great drives car.

Cheers
Rohit
Old 17th March 2011, 15:06   #34
BHPian

If you are willing to consider Captiva, why dont you give BMW X1 a try. It is a fantastic soft roader, better driving position as compared to sedans, better GC to handle bad roads and also you can satisfy your thirst of getting a German car.
Old 17th March 2011, 16:07   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
If it is to be a self-driven car then why not the outstanding Nissan Teana! I think it comes with AT and the seats are really to die for (best in class!) only Mercs give competition to Teana in seat comfort!
True. It is a good deal.
What I want to know about the Teana is whether the base variant comes with the Ottoman seat or not. I know the base variant doesn't have the dual sun-roofs, and some other goodies are missing as well. In my budget, only the base variant would fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitm View Post
The engine in Superb is no way inferior to that in a VW Passat.

I would strongly recommend Superb 1.8TSI.
Hi Rohit, I read that the VW Passat has an engine that is a generation ahead from that on the Superb. And performs better as well.
But as I said, I shall definitely not decide without TD-ing the Superb and Passat both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearOn View Post
If you are willing to consider Captiva, why dont you give BMW X1 a try. It is a fantastic soft roader, better driving position as compared to sedans, better GC to handle bad roads and also you can satisfy your thirst of getting a German car.
Reasons for not considering the x1:
1. Lack of leg space in the rear.
2. Looooonng waiting time.
3. The base variant misses out on a lot of goodies. The top variant is too far north of the budget. And the top variant is the one I would prefer.

Keep it coming, guys!

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 17th March 2011 at 16:09. Reason: Accidently submitted before completion
Old 17th March 2011, 16:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reasons for not considering the x1:
1. Lack of leg space in the rear.
2. Looooonng waiting time.
3. The base variant misses out on a lot of goodies. The top variant is too far north of the budget. And the top variant is the one I would prefer.
I know that you have already mentioned that you are not a brand guy but ain't it difficult to ignore a Beemer prices at Honda prices!
Old 17th March 2011, 18:08   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
I know that you have already mentioned that you are not a brand guy but ain't it difficult to ignore a Beemer prices at Honda prices!
It indeed is difficult. In fact when the x1 was launched, it was a pretty strong contender, what the aspect of getting a BMW!
But then there are priorities that have to be taken care of, since this will be Dad's primary car. Hence, couldn't follow the heart.
But, I do believe the competition still holds good.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 17th March 2011, 18:23   #38
BHPian

I don't think the DC Innova package does anything to the two front seats. Its basically for chauffeur driven people.
Accord looks like the best and safest bet. I just read today that the Accord has been given a facelift. What has been done? I assume looking at Honda's past "facelifts" just a new grill, a little change in the lights and a 50k price difference.
Old 17th March 2011, 18:36   #39
Team-BHP Support

Heres my 2 cents -

Your usage is quite a lot, I would consider diesel if I were you.

Secondly, contrary to what I said above, the Accord will give you the most hassle free ownership, but not the most pleasurable. It will never give you a problem, and possible handle rougher roads better than a Superb.

How rough are the rough roads you are talking about? Do you regret having a sedan all this while? If not then I dont think you need to consider an SUV because its not like the Elantra has great GC. So the Accord would be first choice.

Second will be Superb Diesel - Because its a diesel engine (same engine as what is supposed to come in the new Passat except that has 170bhp against the Superb's 140bhp). Also the gadgets and driving pleasure will be more than the Accord.
Old 17th March 2011, 18:47   #40
BHPian

You could look at the Skoda Superb as others have mentioned. Also, please do take a look at the BMW X1. SUV like ground clearance and it should be comfortable. Ask your dad to take a TD and you can then decide. The Accord however is the best option. The 2.4 litre petrol plant is well powered and it has acres of space and the comfort is best in class (read better than A4, 3-series and the likes of it.)

Cheers,
Kaushik

EDIT: Just saw your earlier post on the X1. Then I must say its down to the Superb and the Accord. Superb has all the gadgetry but Accord has reliability. The Superb with an auto tranny would be perfect.

Last edited by kaush666 : 17th March 2011 at 18:50.
Old 17th March 2011, 18:48   #41
Senior - BHPian

IMHO Innova's middle row is arguably the most comfortable seating position in almost all vehicles in India. And the one with all Captain seats rocks. And if you are thinking of DC lounge, then nothing like that.

I would add few more options to the confusion:

1) Hyunda Santa Fe: Newest in its segment. Hyundai A.S.S. is pretty good in accessibility atleast.

2) Nissan X Trail: I think I had seen a rigorous review of Xtrail, Santa Fe and Fortuner on one TV Channel and they said that X Trail is the best package overall out of the 3.

3) Ford Endy: Have you checked this one? I am not too sure about the comfort level, but its rugged for sure.
Old 17th March 2011, 19:01   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Yes, the Captiva over the Innova (even with DC Lounge) does seem a better deal. Will TD it again to check with Dad's needs.
Yes, with the budget you have, there are definitely better options than the Innova (even with DC)

Quote:
The engine of the superb vs the Passat: I seem to get the impression that the superb has an inferior engine. Is this true?
Quote:
I read that the VW Passat has an engine that is a generation ahead from that on the Superb. And performs better as well.
But as I said, I shall definitely not decide without TD-ing the Superb and Passat both.
It’s the same engine in both Passat and Superb. From what I have read, even the new Passat will have the same 1.8 TSI Petrol as Superb. On the diesel front, it is rumored that 2.0 CR may have a 170bhp option. If not, it should be same 140ps as of Superb.

Quote:
I didn't know it was the same DSG box on all 3. Thanks for that info.
But is it wrong perception that the same box performs much better on the Laura? How would you rate it on the others (Passat/Superb)?
My understanding is there is no difference. Maybe because Laura is a smaller car and weigh less, it is more fun to drive. Owners can comment more on that.
Old 17th March 2011, 19:47   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Accord looks like the best and safest bet. I just read today that the Accord has been given a facelift.
Will check out the Accord at the Honda showroom and revert on any noticeable changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The usage is about average. It might make sense to consider a Diesel.

Secondly, contrary to what I said above, the Accord will give you the most hassle free ownership, but not the most pleasurable. It will never give you a problem, and possible handle rougher roads better than a Superb.
Are you talking about the lack of pleasure in owning an Accord? Please explain a bit more.

How rough are the rough roads you are talking about? Do you regret having a sedan all this while? If not then I dont think you need to consider an SUV because its not like the Elantra has great GC. So the Accord would be first choice.
Well the roads are rough, indeed. I'm talking lots of gravel, with deep potholes on regular intervals. Plus unexpected bumps.
Moreover, I am still very confused whether an SUV can give the ride quality to rival that of these Sedans. SUV's will give good GC for overcoming water logged situations in most cases, I assume.

Second will be Superb Diesel - Because its a diesel engine (same engine as what is supposed to come in the new Passat except that has 170bhp against the Superb's 140bhp). Also the gadgets and driving pleasure will be more than the Accord.
Will TD the Superb and Accord both. But just as a Heads Up, what is the difference in the gadgets on the two?
My responses in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
You could look at the Skoda Superb as others have mentioned. The Accord however is the best option.
The Superb with an auto tranny would be perfect.
I appreciate your comments. And I am quoting only snippets of what you've said, but I am rather confused. Request you to put forth your views a little more elaborately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
IMHO Innova's middle row is arguably the most comfortable seating position in almost all vehicles in India.

1) Hyunda Santa Fe: Newest in its segment. Hyundai A.S.S. is pretty good in accessibility atleast.
Will check this out too. But not on my list of priorities as the car seems a little, well, behind the competition.

2) Nissan X Trail: I think I had seen a rigorous review of Xtrail, Santa Fe and Fortuner on one TV Channel and they said that X Trail is the best package overall out of the 3.
Interesting. Considering that the Nissan-X lacks in some very key areas.Anyhow, I feel this vehicle is more suited where the priorities are for a more adventurous (read. off road) experience. This might actually work well on the bad roads I was talking about. How good is the ride quality?

3) Ford Endy: Have you checked this one? I am not too sure about the comfort level, but its rugged for sure.
Again, would love to check it out. But ride quality is of utmost importance.
My responses in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
It’s the same engine in both Passat and Superb. From what I have read, even the new Passat will have the same 1.8 TSI Petrol as Superb. On the diesel front, it is rumored that 2.0 CR may have a 170bhp option. If not, it should be same 140ps as of Superb.

My understanding is there is no difference. Maybe because Laura is a smaller car and weigh less, it is more fun to drive. Owners can comment more on that.
Thanks for the inputs, vb-san. Should take some of my doubts away form the Superb.

Again, thank you everyone for your active participation and help.
Do keep it coming.

Update: Spoke to Dad just now. He had called one of the dealerships for VW in Delhi. It is something referred to as VW South Delhi. Do not know if that is the correct name. They said that the current Passat is not available in stock in longer, and have asked him to wait for the new one due in April. Good news is the new one is definitely coming. Bad news: Dad doesn't want to take this into the new FY.

Also: Problems have apparently been reported with the Skoda Superb. Is this a problem car? (I thought the general perception was the VW Passat was problematic) Request current/previous owner of VW Passat/Skoda Superb to revert on this with their experiences.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 17th March 2011 at 20:01. Reason: Misplaced quote; Updates received from Dad
Old 17th March 2011, 19:51   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

How rough are the rough roads you are talking about? Do you regret having a sedan all this while?

@Sam

Please decide first what you NEED, Citing your requirements i feel that a diesel is required.

Again if your Dad will be driving it citing his comfort an Automatic is a must.

Now coming to the body type; and SUV with good all round visibility and better ride quality should top your lists.

In today's market such an offering is given by BMW(X1 D) and Chevrolet (Captiva AT)

the BMW has a firmer ride quality and no features (within your budget), so again from the perspective of comfort and safety of your dad, i feel that the Captiva is best.

And yes if at all you do not NEED an SUV then stick to the sedans our members have suggested.

All the best!
Old 17th March 2011, 20:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Appreciate your suggestions, my friend. With growing votes for the Superb, will definitely TD it to see if it suits the needs. Need to understand if it's a good driver's car, since Dad would primarily be self-driving the car (i.e. until I can convince him to sit back and relax in the rear seat ).
Self driven DC Lounge

If you want the ultimate in comfort, I think you should get a driver first of all.

Even a Safari with side steps will do.

Last edited by Mpower : 17th March 2011 at 20:11.

Most Viewed