Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 21:02   #46
BHPian

re: New Car Required for Dad: Needs to be VERY Comfortable- EDIT: it's a Honda Accord!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post

.. from the perspective of comfort and safety of your dad, i feel that the Captiva is best.
I do agree with your logic. The Chevy Captiva seems to be the car that has everything. Along with the Honda CR-V (has lesser toys, I believe, but good Honda engine )
Just need to TD the SUVs with the sedans to get a good idea about the ride quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Self driven DC Lounge
DC Lounge would definitely require a chauffeur. I was considering this as the images seemed to suggest that it's good in the ride. Which is pretty much the biggest criteria. With Toyota & DC coming together, it somehow seems to be a dependable product.
You know anyone who has it?
I did spot one DC Lounge on the road in Powai the other day.
The biggest minus is the driver bit. Which would become the biggest plus once we appoint one .

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 17th March 2011, 22:37   #47
BHPian

re: New Car Required for Dad: Needs to be VERY Comfortable- EDIT: it's a Honda Accord!

Hi Samarth,
May i suggest sonata transform considering your dad has a good experience with hyundai.It surely is comfortable and will not comes atleast 6 to 7 lakh rupee cheaper than the rest. ( with discounts) . Most importantly, it will not give surprises your dad and raise his blood pressure. It is feature rich too
Old 17th March 2011, 23:26   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also: Problems have apparently been reported with the Skoda Superb. Is this a problem car?
Skoda is definitely not a problem car. But on second thoughts the Skoda carries the old DSG box and not the new ones that will be coming with the Passat. Remember that Skoda is using the DSG box discontinued from Jetta(If other wise, i apologise).

My friend has one and so far there is nothing close to comfort and feature this car offers.

I have read stories of Jetta and Passat being driven as much as 200000 miles in the fred tdi forum and still running strong.

I expect similar experience from the Superb.
Old 18th March 2011, 07:15   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Skoda is definitely not a problem car. But on second thoughts the Skoda carries the old DSG box and not the new ones that will be coming with the Passat. Remember that Skoda is using the DSG box discontinued from Jetta(If other wise, i apologise).

My friend has one and so far there is nothing close to comfort and feature this car offers.

I have read stories of Jetta and Passat being driven as much as 200000 miles in the fred tdi forum and still running strong.

I expect similar experience from the Superb.
Slightly disagree on this. As of now, there is nothing like old and new DSG box. What is there in Laura/Superb and what was there in VW is essentially the same. Just that there was some mechanical failure in the initial days (maybe due to the implementation or assembly), and that created a negative perception on DSG in VW models. So when they changed from PD to CRDi, they gave only the manual option with Jetta. I am quite certain that both new Jetta and Passat will come with DSG boxes.

We've quite a few happy DSG Jetta /Laura / Superb owners in our forum. One name I can immdtly remember is .anshuman
Old 18th March 2011, 09:14   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Hi Samarth,
May i suggest sonata transform considering your dad has a good experience with hyundai.
As of now, I think it might be time to move past the Koreans and move to the Japs/Euros. My family's experience of Honda has been overall very good. We recently bought the third Honda City at home (ANHC), prior to which we have used the first and third gen City. So the faith in Honda and its products is high. That said, we don't want to close our eyes to other product, hence considering the options.
Plus, I somehow feel the Sonata transform would not be as big a leap ahead as the products form the Jap/Euro stables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

Well it is good to know that these are capable cars. I expect nothing less as the Skodas/VWs in Europe regularly run well way past 200k kms.
There is still this nagging fear after hearing of problems like engine seizure in the Superbs.
Moreover, I don't know of any dependable Skoda dealers in South Delhi. Would love it someone could give some info on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
We've quite a few happy DSG Jetta /Laura / Superb owners in our forum. One name I can immdtly remember is .anshuman
It would be nice to have anshuman here to give forth his experience. I need to get a clear word from a couple of experiences TBhpians on the dependability of the Superb.
I did find a thread on the problems with the Superb and the one thing I observed has the recommended fuel stated as 95 RON in the manual for the V6. Apparently the same is not true for the Accord.

Again, I do appreciate all the help.
One of the toughest calls I'm going to have to take.
By tomorrow, will make a final list of all cars to be TD'd.
Will love everyone's comments on that.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 18th March 2011, 15:44   #51
BHPian

Hello people,

After reading responses from fellow TBhpians, I have shortlisted the following cars for TD and thorough analysis (this is where I hope you all can help more).
  1. Honda Accord:Seems to be clearly running away with the trophy. Faith-factor is high. Awesome Honda Gasoline heart!
    Problems:
    • Only petrol
    • Do not know about smoothness of the auto-box
    • This is a little less important, but may still be a factor with Mum : Too common!
  2. Skoda Superb: Seems to be the best VFM, with a nice rear seat.
    Problems:
    • Still not clear how dependable the engine of the car. Awaiting response from owners amongst fellow TBhpians.
    • Skoda dealers attitude problems.
  3. VW Passat (if available): This is highly unlikely. What with dealers saying the old one if not available. Moreover, GTO's thread on its problems is, well, scary.
  4. Honda CR-V: Moving away from the sedans, this is absolutely brilliant to drive, has a good GC and everthing. Oh, and, AWD!
    Problems:
    • Seems pricey for the lack of features, vis-a-vis the Captiva.
    • If I'm not mistaken, the cost of maintenance is huge!
    • Though the engine's brilliant, it's only in Petrol. May not be an ultra-important factor.
  5. Chevy Captiva: The most VFM SUV on the list. Have driven this. Liked the drive. But found the CR-V soooo much better in comparison!
    Problems:
    • Not so convinced with the design and functionality of the center console.
    • Not convinced with the drive of the auto-box.
    • Lack of any parking aides. (Holds true for CR-V too, I believe)
  6. Skoda Yeti: Waited for it a long time to arrive. Then it did. And then read about the bad attitude of Skoda dealerships. After Jeremy Clarkson's (crazy) test drive, am quite convinced about the brilliance of this car.
    Problems:
    • Much lower on space than the CR-V/Captiva. Makes a better drive, though! So I guess that's a plus.
    • Not so sure if its spacious enough at the rear. Will know after TD. So this more of an uncertainity.
    • Skoda dealerships.

For some reason, this list still feels incomplete. Need your help, TBhpians!

I guess it's quite clear I need your help finding the best dealers for Honda, Skoda, VW and Chevy in South Delhi.

Please do help complete the list by giving your valuable opinions.

Guys, the moment is not too far.
Will update you all with the TD experience as soon as I get done with it.

Until then, do keep the comments coming.
Best way for me to learn.

Thanks.
Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 18th March 2011, 16:20   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Skoda Yeti: Waited for it a long time to arrive. Then it did. And then read about the bad attitude of Skoda dealerships. After Jeremy Clarkson's (crazy) test drive, am quite convinced about the brilliance of this car.
  1. Problems:
    • Much lower on space than the CR-V/Captiva. Makes a better drive, though! So I guess that's a plus.
    • Not so sure if its spacious enough at the rear. Will know after TD. So this more of an uncertainity.
    • Skoda dealerships.
+1 to Yeti. Your dad will love it for its comfortable ride. And it is loaded with insane amount of features. Let me know what do you feel after TDing it.
Old 18th March 2011, 16:23   #53
Senior - BHPian

From a personal viewpoint.

I would go with the Accord, the facelifted one though not very different from the outgoing model, has a few minor tweaks as well as a sunroof as standard now.

Honda's are very reasonable to maintain, are extremely reliable and ofcourse come with good brand value.

A couple of Accord Strengths :-
1. Spacious rear - almost like a sofa with generous width.
2. If you want power you could opt for the v6
3. Have heard the accord auto is a smooth shifter

Weaknesses :-
1. Not so loaded - couple of much desired features missing.
2. Auto have heard is not very fuel efficient.

These are just off the top of the head.

Go for the Accord!
Old 18th March 2011, 17:54   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Let me know what do you feel after TDing it.
Will do, Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post

Weaknesses :-
1. Not so loaded - couple of much desired features missing.Do tell what are the missing goodies, in case I miss them while TD-ing.
2. Auto have heard is not very fuel efficient.
Any figures?
Please find my responses in bold.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 18th March 2011, 18:05   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
[/list][/list]+1 to Yeti. Your dad will love it for its comfortable ride. And it is loaded with insane amount of features. Let me know what do you feel after TDing it.
Support that, the Yeti actually ticks quite a lot of the requirements you have mentioned, especially the elegance trim. Look through the 3 Yeti threads we have - from Sushil Bajpai, Pramods, and GloryManUnited.

Have a good TD weekend!
Old 18th March 2011, 21:05   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The usage is about average. It might make sense to consider a Diesel.

Are you talking about the lack of pleasure in owning an Accord? Please explain a bit more.

Well the roads are rough, indeed. I'm talking lots of gravel, with deep potholes on regular intervals. Plus unexpected bumps.
Moreover, I am still very confused whether an SUV can give the ride quality to rival that of these Sedans. SUV's will give good GC for overcoming water logged situations in most cases, I assume.

Will TD the Superb and Accord both. But just as a Heads Up, what is the difference in the gadgets on the two?
Sorry for the late reply -

It certainly will make sense for a diesel, petrol is now 60+ a litre.

The ownership will be troublefree but not as pleasing as owning a Superb. The Accord will be very reliable, but is not as good a drivers car as the Superb. In the Superb you will feel excited every time you drive it because of the little thoughtful features. Also personally I think the Accord is overpriced.

Something like the Yeti, is the best compromise between a sedan and an suv. Do check it out and update here.

Sedan or Suv is something you have to decide. Some Suv's can be as comfortable as sedans, but you will know after you TD the cars.

As for gadgets between the Accord and the Superb. thankfully Honda hasn't skimped on the safety features. But the Superb has a 12 speaker stereo system with a colour touchscreen, a full MID and trip computer, adaptive xenon lights, power seats with memory (for the driver), lots of little lights. Of course the Superb feels sturdier whereas the Accord, is built better than the City but still feels like a Jap.

TD the Superb tdi and post back.

There will not be any major issues with the Superb, as long as its treated well. That said the Honda can handle much more abuse.
Old 19th March 2011, 11:19   #57
Senior - BHPian

As @akshay1234 has been kind enough to point out the gadget differences.
Heres the fuel efficiency part.
The accord 2.4 AT should give you 7 kmpl in the city with aircon.
But an uncle of mine reported 6, sometimes even 5 something. His wife calls it the guzzler. And so they use the smaller car for city errands.
Obviously the v6 will be less efficient, but am told that its not by much. As it comes equipped with vcm which manages the cylinder banks according to various factors such as the position of your foot on the throttle etc.
Old 19th March 2011, 11:58   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello people,
  1. Skoda Superb:
    Problems:
    • Still not clear how dependable the engine of the car. Awaiting response from owners amongst fellow TBhpians.
I did not quite get this. Any specific problem you heard with the engine ? Its an absolutely fantastic engine and extremely pleasurable to drive.
Also , i noticed you saying this at the beginning of the thread - 'the engine in the passat is superior to that of the superb'
Why ? Both are/were sold with SAME 1.8 tsi petrol and 2.0 crdi diesel engines.
Old 19th March 2011, 12:12   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Support that, the Yeti actually ticks quite a lot of the requirements you have mentioned, especially the elegance trim. Look through the 3 Yeti threads we have - from Sushil Bajpai, Pramods, and GloryManUnited.

Have a good TD weekend!

And apart from the thread, check this link out. It outclasses some of the best cars in the world in few aspects.

Old 19th March 2011, 18:55   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Its an absolutely fantastic engine and extremely pleasurable to drive.
Also , i noticed you saying this at the beginning of the thread - 'the engine in the passat is superior to that of the superb'
Why ? Both are/were sold with SAME 1.8 tsi petrol and 2.0 crdi diesel engines.

@sam

Please get your requirements straight, some of the comparisons and details you have posted seem to be a mismatch. Do not go by perception go by the facts.

Waiting for your TD reports.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks