News

Exide, Leclanche JV to make lithium-ion EV batteries in India

Exide has tied up with Switzerland's Leclanche SA to form a joint venture for the manufacture of lithium-ion batteries and to provide energy storage solutions for electric vehicles in India. The joint venture plans to target fleet vehicles such as e-buses, and e-rickshaws.

In the initial stages, the joint venture plans to source cells from Leclanche's plant in Willstatt, Germany.

The joint venture plans to set up its manufacturing facility in Gujarat. While its module and battery pack assembly line is expected to be running by the second quarter of 2019, the lithium-ion production plant is expected to be functional by mid-2020. The know-how for lithium-ion cells, modules and battery management systems is expected to be provided by Leclanche, while Exide plans to use its sales network to market the products.

According to a media report, Exide will hold a 74.99% stake in the joint venture, while Leclanche will hold the remaining 25.01%.

 

Source: ET Auto

 
Got BHP?