News

Should I cancel my Mahindra XUV700 booking & go for the Hyundai Alcazar

Before the XUV700 was launched, I had almost finalized the top-end Alcazar Petrol AT & now, I seriously want to go back to that.

BHPian BeingCynical recently shared this with other enthusiasts.

Here is how it started, and here is how it probably would end.

I had been looking for a new car, rather a new family car, for some time since my Safari was ageing. The XUV700, which was launched last year, was something that fit the bill and ticked most of my requirements. I was still in a dilemma whether I should go with it or not, thanks largely to my experience of owning a car from an Indian manufacturer. To make this dilemma even worse, Mahindra's after-sales records weren't that comforting.

Still, the features offered at the price point prevailed over my bias and I booked an AX7 L Diesel AT in December. I was told by the dealership that I'll get my car by July, though the official Mahindra timeline was different.

Now, in June, the guys who promised delivery in July have almost backed out of their promise. They are not committing to anything anymore. When push came to shove, they finally opened their mouths, but sadly moved the probable timeline, which now sits around November - December and that too is unofficial.

It's kind of an 'I had enough' moment for me. Before the XUV700 was launched, I had almost finalized the top-end Alcazar Petrol AT and now, I seriously want to go back to that.

I need your help here with your suggestions. You can be as blunt as you want.

PS - As I said, I wasn't open to an Indian car, primarily because of the after-sales service and build quality. The XUV700's first-in-segment features pushed me to change my decision.

Eagerly waiting for your valuable suggestions.

Here's what BHPian Rajeevraj had to say about the matter:

I know a lot of people who do not mind the wait, but I personally would not want to wait even 5-6 months for delivery of a car and definitely would not wait with no real line of sight to delivery. From your post, it seemed like you are fairly flexible and ok to look at other options also.

Since you were looking at the Alcazar, suggest you have a look at the Kia Carens. It is probably a much better package than the Alcazar. If that works out you can cancel and go for it.

Here's what BHPian tarunjain had to say about the matter:

Alcazar is considered overpriced for what it offers, especially after the launch of Carens. As per media reports, Hyundai is working on a variant and pricing refresh of Alcazar to be able to compete. You may want to wait for that to roll out.

Here's what BHPian ashis89 had to say about the matter:

If the waiting period is the only concern with XUV700 and since your existing car can serve you for another few weeks/months, I would suggest waiting for your car of choice. If you are flexible with the color or even variant of choice, let your dealer know of this so they might offer you a car sooner if there's a cancellation.

PS: If you are okay with Alcazar petrol, then you can consider XUV700 petrol as well. In Odisha, dealers have stocks of petrol variants readily available.

Here's what BHPian DicKy had to say about the matter:

Assuming you have test driven both the XUV700 and Alcazar, which one did you prefer given delivery dates are not an issue?

Also curious as to why the petrol Alcazar vs diesel XUV700.

Personally, I would wait if the waiting period is ~6 months, given that you have a vehicle now which is running reliably.

I won't advocate for either Tata or Mahindra's A.S.S and reliability, but the combination of good build quality and good A.S.S is hard to come by in India, or if available is overpriced.

Check out BHPian comments for more insights and information.

 
A helmet will save your life