Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2008, 17:23   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewJ View Post
Btw.. Where was the Jack placed??? Did it have a bracket to hold it??? I have see pictures of jack being put next to the Horn but i am sure thats not for the WW2 Jeeps
AFAIK, the jack was placed in the left rear tool box.
There was no special bracket to hold it in place.

Cheers
Old 19th December 2008, 19:06   #17
BHPian

Rejo,
Here's is the US Ordnance marked Jeep tyre pump we talked about.
Note the original filler nozzle for the Schrader type tube valves.
The wooden handle was in bad shape when i acquired it, so i used sandpaper
and linseed oil to freshen it up a bit. The rest of the pump has been left as it is.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
WW2 Jeeps accessories-cimg0170.jpg  

Last edited by gotzuk : 19th December 2008 at 19:12. Reason: General Incompetence
Old 20th December 2008, 05:09   #18
BHPian

The pump is looking real good... Did the pump with "ORD" marking came before the QMC pump... and were they painted OD or black orginally. Something tells me they were orginally grey in color. Also how much did you shed for the first aid kit and grease gun. I am now seriously trying to get it from US. Trying to estimate how much they would cost me.
Old 20th December 2008, 22:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
The pump is looking real good... Did the pump with "ORD" marking came before the QMC pump... and were they painted OD or black orginally. Something tells me they were orginally grey in color. Also how much did you shed for the first aid kit and grease gun. I am now seriously trying to get it from US. Trying to estimate how much they would cost me.
The QMC pump came earlier and were replaced by the ORD marked versions sometime in late 1942. There is no clear consensus on the correct colour of the tire pump till now even in the international communities. The tire pumps have been found in various colours and colour combinations like, Grey pump with natural finish on the wooden handle, complete Olive Drab including handle and other combinations. Lots of contradictions have been found in NOS pumps and period photographs.
So you can paint your pump completely in Olive Drab shade or have the handle in wooden finish and it would be correct, so to say. Grey would be ok if you have restored your GPW as a Navy jeep.
BTW, early GPW's did not come equipped with tire pumps. Will check on exact date but if I remember right March'43 onwards they became standard equipment.

Keep your eyes open for good deals various forums for WWII Jeeps and other military jeep forums. Also keep your eyes peeled for good stuff on ebay.com.

Cheers
Old 20th December 2008, 22:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Fascinating thread, to say the least. I think Mr UBS's opinion/intervention is warranted here. He should be a treasure trove of information on this subject. Personally I love it when people follow a hobby so passionately.
Sudipto
Old 21st December 2008, 10:11   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Beginning jan. 1943, the GPW-17052/A-7511 which is an ORD marked base and has an AIR CHUCK. The earlier A-6899 ORD and the even earlier A-6351 QMC have no equivalent GPW part numbers.
this is wat i could find from G503. Also would you suggest if i opt for getting a 8" Adj wrench for my GPW toolkit.... becoz eventually the 8" was dropped from the kit. Also i have been searching eBay and G503 for the tools. Do you know of any other forum where i could get stuff??????
Old 21st December 2008, 10:54   #22
BHPian

also do you think this is original even though the seller claims to be orginal

Even though the size looks correct the base doesn't seem right.
Old 31st December 2008, 01:30   #23
BHPian

Quote:
also do you think this is original even though the seller claims to be orginal

Even though the size looks correct the base doesn't seem right.
Rejo,
That's not the right one. It should have a solid base with either
"US ORD" or "US QMC" on it.
I have have not come across any better forum than G503.com for the
world war era jeeps.

Also regarding the tools, I would suggest that you should first complete
the tool kit with the correct brands irrespective of the time line of their use.
And then you could work upon trading them for the exact ones as and when they
come by.
Also, get a membership to MVPA (Military Vehicle Preservation Association)
at Military Vehicle Preservation Association
Their publications Army Motors and Supply Line will delight an avid enthusiast like you.

Cheers

Last edited by gotzuk : 31st December 2008 at 01:42.
Old 13th April 2009, 22:11   #24
BHPian

This is all the tools I have collected for my Ford GPW. I have still many things to collect and have kept a picture of the tool kit in the manuals for your reference. Awaiting comments!!

Some things that are not pictured and in my collection:

1) Barcalo Buffalo 723 (3/8-7/16)
2) Quick Aid Fire Extinguisher
3) 12" Moore Adjustable wrench
4) Barcalo Buffalo 28S with NO ISN
5) 4" Eagle Oiler
6) Alemite Grease Gun Model 5585
7) Gerry Can Spout
8) First Aid Kit (ITEM 9777300 with 6 contens)

If any of you needs more information on these tools please feel free to ping me anytime.

Old 13th April 2009, 23:00   #25
BHPian

Great effort Rejo
But whats with that curvy snaky adjustable wrench??

And a BB 723 is up for sale on ebay.
Look up item no. 310134543539 and don't let it get away.

I want to share with you a pic of a NOS spark plug wrench I picked up some time back.
It is still in the original packing, havn't opened it yet. Probably, I never will
Attached Thumbnails
WW2 Jeeps accessories-cimg0157.jpg  

Last edited by gotzuk : 13th April 2009 at 23:10.
Old 13th April 2009, 23:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

The pics of the First Aid kit are just .. I am lost for words. The First Aid box has everything in it and it looked as if it were taken right out of WW2.

Nice find Vaibav. Treasure it !

Its threads like this which make Team Bhp a genuine enthusiasts forum.

Amazing dedication guys.
Old 14th April 2009, 16:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

There are quite a few knick knacks on sale in Mayapuri, mostly retrieved from Indian Army jeeps.

I found a nice side mirror and a storage box and auxillary lights for my Cj3B.

Some of the other stuff available there was.

Gun Rack

A complete wireless radio unit !

Antenas

Black out lights

Various extra fitment lights

map lights

Exausts

Tail lamps

Gear Box

Body panels

Hurricane engine

Fuel Can and cage to hold it

Original Cj3B seats
Old 14th April 2009, 17:33   #28
BHPian

Be a little careful with the mayapuri stuff guys. Due to the huge Desi willys-ford(lol, thats what they call em) market in dabwalli, lots of things are copied, but you do get to know. The guide and cor-koren brown(don't know what the spelling are) blackouts are made, but you get to know by the lucas internals, and the cap too. Gunracks too, but thay are rolled to shoddy'ly. They even make the blackout mounts. Trailer lights from later models are passed as originals. I myself have made steerings from later 3 spoke Cj3B's to willys ones, that looked so much like the originals, that i went to dabwalli to exchange them with the stuff i wanted( these guys were overcharging me so much, so i gave them a taste of their own medicine). Loads of other stuff too is made by then, all cheap looking replicas.
Old 14th April 2009, 18:39   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
There are quite a few knick knacks on sale in Mayapuri, mostly retrieved from Indian Army jeeps.
Desertfox,
This thread is about tools and accessories for the WWII jeeps (MB/GPW), not the CJ3B. Some things do keep turning up in Mayapuri now and then but not on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
Be a little careful with the mayapuri stuff guys.
Spot on, Brutus. Lot of people get conned into buying these shoddy and fake gun holders & C-B and Guide blackout lamps thinking them to be original.
Old 14th April 2009, 20:39   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
Great effort Rejo
But whats with that curvy snaky adjustable wrench??
Thanks you sir, for the appreciation. I forgot to mention that Mr.UBS has helped me directly or indirectly all the time so he also deserves the praise as well. The curvy snaky adjustable wrench or 10" Barcalo Buffalo Curved adjustable wrench is not part of the Jeep tool kit but it’s something I got along with my 28S.

Quote:
And a BB 723 is up for sale on ebay.
Look up item no. 310134543539 and don't let it get away.
Regarding the BB-723 I have already got it but not yet in my hand. It does not have the standard 723 stamped on it but just the sixe (3/8 - 7/16) which makes it very rare Anyway I can't even dream of getting a BB 723 from eBay. I will have to sell my Jeep for it but thanks for the info though.

Quote:
I want to share with you a pic of a NOS spark plug wrench I picked up some time back.
It is still in the original packing, havn't opened it yet. Probably, I never will
I could not stop drooling at that spark plug wrench. It looks fabulous. Please tell me you got it locally and not from the US. Also how much did they do for? Will call you up some time this week

-Rejo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks